Try this Dominican Salon in Montreal

Starzephyr1,

Here is one (and not too far away)

Coiffure Carolina
127 Rue Jean-Talon Ouest, Montr?al, QC H2R 2W9
(514) 274-4545

LDG.

starzephyr1 said:
I visit my mother in montreal often and we have yet to find a dominican salon.... can anyone recommend one preferably around Plateau Mont-Royal?

franberu

Apr 5, 2002
Very interesting!

I was not aware about the many places of Dominican atmosphere available in Montreal. I am a canado-dominicano and have an appartment in Sosua. My adoptyion country is Dominican Republic and my wife and two kids are dominicans. I am please to discover the places mentionned in this thread and if I can, I will add information whenever I will get some.

I speak spanish, english and french and I am allways please to communicate with dominican poeple.

I am the webmaster of the following site (in french) about DR.
http://republiquedominicaine.fr.fm

Nov 5, 2004
Mr_DR said:
You canadian girls don't stop do you?
You bring them sankies out of their natural enviroment only to have to go through the embarassment of driving around town asking where your sankies can support his dominican food cravings?.....When are you canadian and British girls gonna value yourselves?

You must stop babying these guys and let them find out and learn the hard way that it is not really paradise outside the DR as many other paint the pictures.

Why do you make unsubstantiated comments? The OP has EVERY right to ask if she does not know. Comments like yours (always) make me wonder.

Lesley, don't mind MrDR he is rude by nature. He likes to insult everyone. Unfortunatly he does have some good information everyone once and awhile, when he has time in between his rude comments...But don't mind him. I htink sometimes he jsut says these things for kicks to see what comments he gets out of it. Don't think anyone can be that sour by nature. Seems he must never have been in a real realtionship..my dad will drive around and go find my mom the type of food she wants...My husband once drove to 3 different cities to find what I wanted to eat...it's not an embarassment to dothis this for someone MrDR...it's called kindness. You should try it sometime... :eek: it probably won't kill you...!

Now...back to the topic..

I have family in Montreal, and I have a Dominican friend who lives there also..I will ask them if they know of any other Dominican Resturants/places. I want to bring my husband to Montreal some day in the not to distant future. Maybe we will have to arrange a DR1 get together in the Restourante Sosua some day. I know there is a very large population of Dominicans in Montreal though.

mmmm...now I want some Dominican food..tengo hambre!!!:D

bertgilbert

Feb 1, 2005
spaces.msn.com
Very nice work

franberu said:
I was not aware about the many places of Dominican atmosphere available in Montreal. I am a canado-dominicano and have an appartment in Sosua. My adoptyion country is Dominican Republic and my wife and two kids are dominicans. I am please to discover the places mentionned in this thread and if I can, I will add information whenever I will get some.

I speak spanish, english and french and I am allways please to communicate with dominican poeple.

I am the webmaster of the following site (in french) about DR.
http://republiquedominicaine.fr.fm

Good job on this site, vraiment interessant

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Concierto

To anyone who is interested:

I was just browsing on elchasquilatino.com and saw an upcoming concert:

13 y 14 de Mayo 2005
Invita: YOSKAR SARANTE

Presenta: YOSKAR SARANTE Y LOS ROSENDO

Lugar: 7474 rue St-Hubert - Caballeros Sport Club

Info.: 514.279-1011

LDG.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Good bookstores for Spanish references, textbooks, novels, childrenbooks etc.

Here are some good bookstores in Montreal for Spanish references of all kinds.

Librer?a las Am?ricas S.L. (the prices at this store are extremely reasonable)
10 St-Norbert Street
Montreal, Quebec
H2X 1G3

Librairie Michel Fortin
3714 Rue St-Denis
Montreal, Quebec
H2X 3L7

McGill University Bookstore
3420 McTavish Street
Montreal, Quebec
H3A 3L1

Tel.: 514-398-7444

Just keeping everyone in the know.

LDG.

caro

Sep 24, 2003
good radio !!!!!

for people who want to know what it s happen here in montreal for the latin community or just listen good music like bachata , merengue , salsa ....the saturday afternoon between 1 and 5 on 89.3 fm it s very good ....it s call la rumba du samedi but is in french and spanish.

franberu

Apr 5, 2002
Beauty salon in Montreal

I know a salon on Belanger Street close to St-Michel Boulevard whois run by a dominican called Francesca.

Today I went to Blue Bonnets Race Track and I met Francisco a Dominican who speak a very good french.

It's getting better every day!

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Perfecto

Franberu,

This is good info about the salon. When you have a chance I think you should put the full name and address which would be helpful to anyone who needs the information.

I am glad this thread is helping you out!

LDG.

franberu said:
I know a salon on Belanger Street close to St-Michel Boulevard whois run by a dominican called Francesca.

Today I went to Blue Bonnets Race Track and I met Francisco a Dominican who speak a very good french.

It's getting better every day!

Melissa

Apr 10, 2002
Mr - DR

Please keep in mind that not everyone in the DR is a Sankie - I lived and worked in the Dominican for 2 years and was with my husband a lot of that time - You think that everyone is ignorant but maybe you are really the one who is!!!!!
If you should have anything nice to say please do but keep your rude comments to yourself...
Thanks

franberu

Apr 5, 2002
Found in Montreal, Canada

At 419 Belanger Street you have a company owned by a dominican woman which makes money transfers to DR. The fees are much less than with Western Union and it is very efficient. It is called: Montreal Transpaq. They also sells phone cards.

pi?acolada

Mar 9, 2005
Dominican stuff in Montreal

hollywood north said:
Can you please tell me which shops and where thay are that carry Cafe Santo Domingo? I wd like to pick some up next time I am back......(Montreal is really my home town by birth)

In my six years living in Montreal I couldn?t find Cafe Santo Domingo or Cerveza Presidente there. That?s why i?m back home ;)

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Another concert

Well, it seems like Montreal is getting all the good concerts this summer (compared to Toronto). Here's another one coming up on June 10, 2005.

Viernes 10 de Junio 2005
Invita: Dream Producciones en colaboracion con RC Producciones
Presenta: MONCHY Y ALEXANDRA
Lugar (Place): MEDLEY
Info.: 514.806-2128

Just keeping you in the know.

LDG.

NubeLuz

Jul 23, 2004
Here in mtl, any Haitian supermarket carries latino products. There's a lot of them.
On Pie IX or Saint-Michel blvd is where there is the most (on the northern part (between Henri Bourrassa and Cremazie)
There is also one in Laval (the only one !!!) on des Laurentides Boulevard, north of the 440 autroute)
There is also a few on Jarry street, one near Papineau, another one near St-Denis, also near Papineau on Jean-Talon.

These haitians markets always carries
- Vegetables (platanos, yucca, yautilla, yuma, ahuyama, tayotas, batatas, etc)
- Sasones / sopitas from baldom, maggi, etc (both powder and liquid)
- fresh cilantro / recaito
- fruits (coco, lechosa, mangoes) naranjas agrias (meat tenderiser)
- maizena (vanilla,fresa, etc), harina de yuca, de platano, etc
- all kinds of beans (in cans or frozen) guandules, havas, all kinds of habichuelas... negras, rojas...
- they also always sell calling cards, they also have all kind of latino newspapers (el chasqui latino, etc), beauty products (skin, hair)
- juices: tamarindo, passion fruit and other kinds of exotic juices, malta india...

Sorry I can't think of anyhting else right that they carry right now but, I love to go to these markets because it's 1 stop and you find everything you need ... :)

About the salons, I know there is also a 'typical' Dominican hair salon on the corner of Marquette and Villeray street (near Papineau) I forgot the name but it's right on the corner. If it interests you, also Kiko Muffler on 8i?me avenue near Robert street (in quartier Saint-Michel) just opened up a hair salon besides his garage (hummm... interesting) it's called Roxy Salon... and they obviously also fix mufflers (btw, they do a great job)

There's also an italian man with his dominican wife that makes cheese. And they have excellent ' queso para freir ' I never had found it anywhere else before in mtl. I don't have their phone number right now but anyone interested, just pm me and I'll try to find it in the meantime.

That's all I can think of right now, I'll post later if I remember anything else...

Nube ;)

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Just an fyi this radio station (89.3) is accessible via the internet with Real Player installed on your computer. If you are in the Montreal area or not you can listen to the Saturday radio show la rumba du samedi hosted by the Univeristy of Montreal. Here is the link:

http://www.cismfm.qc.ca/

Go to ?programmation?, ?samedi?, and click on ?ecoutez CISM 89.3 en direct?.

caro said:
for people who want to know what it s happen here in montreal for the latin community or just listen good music like bachata , merengue , salsa ....the saturday afternoon between 1 and 5 on 89.3 fm it s very good ....it s call la rumba du samedi but is in french and spanish.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Montreal...more bachata concerts for bachateros

I just heard the announcement of another upcoming bachata concert here in Montreal:

Frank Reyes will be coming on July 1 & 2 (two performances):

Viernes 1ero y Sabado 2 de Julio 2005
Invita: Caballeros Producciones
Presenta: FRANK REYES
Lugar: 7474 rue St-Hubert (Caballero Sport Club)
Info.: 514.279-1011 / 495-4265

If anyone is interested send me a PM.

LDG

Last edited: