Dominicans and their ancestry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
chadfisher21 said:
It's like they think if they go and have their kids in the States they're American somehow, ohh sure by paper but sure as hell not by blood!

What do you mean not American by blood? What is the true american blood? Do you mean that only caucasians that are born here are Americans by blood? Off course anyone born in the US is an American, and per the US constitution has the right to call him/her self an American regardless of their heritage. If you are correct then George Washington was not an American but a British that was born in the colonies.

Matos

Feb 23, 2005
Nalowhs i was born and lived in dominican Republic for 15 years I AM NOT IN DENIAL

Nal0whs said:
Such Afro-Centric attitude comes from people who have been highly influence by the US since the US is the only country in the world to use the one drop rule.

I wonder what would happen if a Martin Luther King inspired mulatto begins to ask for Mulatto Americans to stop hiding under the "black" label and ask for their own recognition rather than being told pure lies.

The last time I check, when you mix Hydrogen with Oxygen you get water and water is neither Hydrogen or Oxygen, but something new called water.

When you mix white colors with black colors you get grey, grey is not white or black, but something new called grey.

When you mix a white rose with a red rose you get a pink rose, the pink rose is not white or red, but something new called pink.

When you mix a white person with a black person (and add Tainoism here and there) you get a mulatto, a mulatto is not white or black or Taino, but something new, mulatto.

End of story. The laws of nature are the same in all situation in this universe, period.

LISTEN BY 1499 TAINOS WHERE EXTINCT IN THE ISLAND OF HISPANOLA
..THIS IS PROOF THAT ONE COULD GET ALL OVER THE WORLD.. EXCEPT IN THE DOMINCAN REPUBLIC.. WE ARE IN DENIAL..

In the 1800's, Haitian slaves overthrew the french landowners, killing most of them. NOT WANTING TO MEET THE SAME FATE, THE SPANISH ELITE BEGAN A CAMPAIGN OF MISINFORMATION USING LITERATURE AS THE MODE OF TRANSMISSION.

The WHITE minority successfully convinced many blacks and others of african descent "MULATTOS" ON THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC SIDE OF THE ISLAND THAT THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANYTHING IN COMMON WITH THE BLACKS IN HAITI.

"THEY CREATED A MYTH THAT EVERY PERSON IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC HAD SPANISH FOREFATHER AND AN INDIAN MOTHER."READ(The development of Literary blackness in the Dominican Republic) go to any book store and buy it or search the internet.... Anyway here are some more mythical stories that us dominicans have created to justify our blackness...
"The hatians mixed us when they took over the whole island and that is why most of us are black"...LOL not true
I have heard so many Black dominicans say that and is very sad......
Dominican Republic is a black nation and perhaps the only place in the world where black people do not like to be called black....
I COULD PROOF THAT 95% OF THE POPULATION IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC IS OF AFRICAN DESCENT....HOWEVER, THE GENERAL POPULATION AND EVEN THE GOVERNMENT DENIES THIS HERITAGE....

BY THE END OF THE 16TH CENTURY 65% WHERE BLACK,20%MULATTOS AND 15% WHITE...HOWEVER, NOW(2004 CENSUS SHOW) IT'S ABOUT 40%BLACK, 55%MULATTOS AND 5%WHITE......

MOST BOOKS WOULD SAY MAYBE 70%MULLATOS AND 20%BLACKS BUT YOU HAVE TO BE SURE WHAT KIND OF AUTHOR HAS WRITTING THE BOOKS.

ANYWAY, I'M A DOMINICAN WHO BARELY HAS BLACK BLOOD...IN FACT, I AM FROM THE CIVAO, WHERE THE LITTLE BIT OF WHITES ARE LEFT....I COULD SEND YOU A PICTURE IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME :)

I AM NOT TRYING TO BE BLACK.. I AM NOT IN DENIAL.iKNOW MY COUNTRIES IDENTITY AND I AM PROUD OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH AND BY THE WAY A MULATTO IS -1 A PERSON WHO HAS ONE BLACK PARENT AND ONE WHITE PARENT 2 TECHNICALLY, ANY PERSON WHO HAS BLACK AND CAUCASOID ANCESTRY....and that's straight out the dictionary (spanish)

Matos

Feb 23, 2005
Your Information Are All Mixed Up You Need To Researh A Lil More

Nal0whs said:
It's rather ignorant to say all Dominican have African blood when in fact, all don't have African blood.

If you would have said, many Dominicans have some African blood (by saying some, you recognize there is a mixture, where else will you see dark skin people with blue eyes for example).

There are many Dominicans who clearly don't have any black blood in them, I'm one of them and there are many like my self. In fact, look at our last suppose president Hipolito, as much of a traitor he was to the nation, he is still a white Dominican.

The only real blacks (unmixed blacks) found today in the DR are Dominicans of American slave decendants from Samana, Dominicans decendants of the Congolese from Villa Mella, and the Dominicans decendants of Cocolos from San Pedro de Macoris. Aside from those, the other pure blacks are Haitians and Dominicans of Haitian decent.

Other than that, it's a conction of mulattos, Asian-Dominicans, middle eastern-Dominicans, jewish-Dominicans, japanese-Dominicans, etc etc etc

A new study recently using mitocondrial DNA (the type inherited from the mother which happens to never change its form through generation) found that many Dominicans (more than many Afro-centric peoples would like to accept) have some Taino traits in their bloods and the same spells for Puerto Rico.

Also, I'll suggest you come to the DR and take a visit to the Vega Real (especially the Campo named Baqui and Maguey) and then come here and tell everyone that there are no Dominicans with heavy Taino phenotypes and genes. As you will see, many folks (especially in those two campos, but also in many other campos in the areas) have yellowish to light skin with dark spots due to the sun, high cheek bones, and other physical features that clearly point to strong Taino features.

Also, in every Dominican home, the concept of who is family, the roles of the mother in the house, and cooking methods is a mixture of our European, Taino, and African cultures blended into one.

certain food (like Casabe), certain music instruments (like the Guira), certain vocabulary (like bohio), the typical wood shack homes found all over the countryside (which are Taino style bohios), and names of places (like Bonao) are all from the Taino influence and Spanish influence.

In addition to this, many Dominicans have traits that only Indians have, like the so called shovel teeth.

I understand its hard for many Afro-Centric peoples, especially those from the United States, to accept that mixed people are called mixed because they are not purely one or the other thing, aside from being purely mixed!

I know its hard for Americans and American-influenced peoples to accept the mixture that has occured in the DR because the US is a country that is still lagging behind when it comes to race.

They think branding people into white or black is good, but that notion came from the racist white of the South of the USA who wanted to keep their white blood pure. Thus, any body with any tiny bit of black blood is considered black in the US, but that is to keep the whites pure.

The real blacks also abuse from the mulattos by forcing them to believe that they are black when they are not. The reason for this is for more political power. The reality is that a mulatto is called mulatto for a reason and that reason is because a mulatto is nothing more than a mulatto, not white or black.

In South Africa, mixed peoples are called Coloured, in the rest of the world they are called Mulattos, in the USA they are called black. Guess what, majority rules, US kick your racist view out the window and accept reality.

The world doesn't come in nice packages. It would have been nice if the world could easily be divided into simple and nice packages, but that is not the case, so adjust you views to reality and stop trying to cover the sun with one finger.

Hopefully, in this day and age of DNA technology, we would be able to take samples of many if not most Dominicans to fully make it clear to everybody of the mixtures that exist in the eastern two thirds of the island of Hispaniola.
I'M NOT SAYING WE DO NOT HAVE WHITE BLOOD BUT WHAT I AM SAYING IS THAT THE MAJORITY OF US ARE DESCENTENS OF AFRICANS.....WE ARE JUST HAPPEN TO BE MIXED BECAUSE THE SPANIARDS RAPED THE AFRICAN WOMEN AND NOW WE GOT.... TONIO ROSARI....FELIX SANCHEZ.....MANNY RAMIREZ...ME AND LOTS OF OTHER MULATTOS JUST FACE IT......

Matos

Feb 23, 2005

atienoor

Mar 8, 2004
Who Cares

Poeple will believe what they want to and what they have been brought up to beieve. Just by looking around, any smart person can tell that NOT ALL dominicans are black. There are clearly white Dominicans, and then there are the mulattos (or point five or half-caste or lately, Zebra where I come from) who are clearly a mixture of african, Taino and white. ANd then there are black dominicans and/or haitian immigrants and people like me who are black but do not fit into any of the above categories even though the Dominicans call me Haitian, the Haitians force me to speak creole or french.......

And what a misconception of the one drop rule, Afro-centric, I thought that rule was coined by other groups in the US (not black) who wanted to distinguish the whites or others from the blacks!

I have been told time and again that my mixed child (looks like any other Dominican mulatto) does not look like me or my husband-which is true if your world view is strictly from a race perspective. The insult which I have come to ignore is "el es tuyo"? What kind of question is that, no I bought him from the supermarket! Or better still, el es de mi efe! I guess he is both black and white and everything in between. ANd knowing that, am sure he will have no insecurities to project on anyone!

Some Dominicans are comfortable with who they are whether white, mulatto, black, chino, japanese and then there are those who are not happy with what they are and have an inferiority complex. The education system has alot to do with it. The smart ones worldwide have always risen above petty politics........

Conclusion, there are open minded Dominicans who see people as people, then there are narrowminded ones who think that their race gives them superiority or inferiority.

Believe what you want because in the big picture, who cares, those on drugs can remain so, while the rest of the world moves forward.

I have never failed to eat, go to the loo or sleep because some Dominicans do not like my skin color. It is a constant irritation but right now, am off to my nice bed to sleep..........Tomorrow, I will wake up to people who will call me morena, haitiano, africano, americano, jamaicano, or whateever...My response, purely is based on which side of the bed I woke up on........

DulcineaToboso

Feb 24, 2005
To Nal0whs

Originally Posted by Nal0whs
Such Afro-Centric attitude comes from people who have been highly influence by the US since the US is the only country in the world to use the one drop rule.

I wonder what would happen if a Martin Luther King inspired mulatto begins to ask for Mulatto Americans to stop hiding under the "black" label and ask for their own recognition rather than being told pure lies.

The last time I check, when you mix Hydrogen with Oxygen you get water and water is neither Hydrogen or Oxygen, but something new called water.

When you mix white colors with black colors you get grey, grey is not white or black, but something new called grey.

When you mix a white rose with a red rose you get a pink rose, the pink rose is not white or red, but something new called pink.

When you mix a white person with a black person (and add Tainoism here and there) you get a mulatto, a mulatto is not white or black or Taino, but something new, mulatto.

End of story. The laws of nature are the same in all situation in this universe, period.

It's nice that you think that because you see it this way, it means that everybody else will see it the same way. You have not realized that Americans are not the only ones that look at a Mulatto and see "black". I am Dominican with light skin and African features. I consider myself "black" because I look "black", as do the majority of Dominicans. Now if any "mulatto", looks in the mirror, and even though he sees more African features than white features, he wants to deny his African side and say that he is not black, then so be it. Every one has that right, but you must remember that in this world we do classify people and things...unfortunately...and Here in the US...and everywhere else...if you look black you are black...if you look white you are white...because who has the time to sit down with everyone they meet and ask him how many different races does he descend from... except in countries where there is a mulatto population...in the countries there is great need to deny whatever race is considered inferior and assimilate to the race that is considered superior. In Dr we want to be as white or indigenous as possible and as little black as possible.

For lack of a better example, Halle Berry is not black she is mulatta, so is Alicia Keys, so is Vanessa Williams, Lenny Kravitz...and the list goes on...but you never here anybody say that these people are white or mulatto...according to the media they are black artist...so why is it that they are not going crazy saying "Oh no I'm not black, I'm mulatto/a", and we are? Why is it so important to Dominicans to make sure everybody knows they are not "black" but are "mixed".

I have friends (not of African descent--i.e. European white, South/Central American white or of indigenous descent, Asian, Arab, East Indian) from many countries and they all see me as black. On the other hand, someone with darker skin than me and kinkier hair than me might considers me mulatta.

It's funny, we Dominicans want to pretend that we are so proud of who we are but the moment someone asks us about our background we start talking about how we descend from this and from that...even though we are not even sure of our geneology. Why? It's hilarious to me when I hear people say "oh my aunt told me that my great grandmother came from Spain." I have not heard one story yet about "oh my uncle told me that my grandfather was a slave brought to DR by a Spaniard." Why do you suppose that is? Are we ashamed that our African predecessors were used and abused and led to believe they were inferior? Is it that we also think that if we own up to our African side we are inferior? I mean why is it that the majority of Dominican women with kinky hair relax their hair? por que se dice pelo malo? Pelo bueno?
Porque se usa "ella es trigue?ita...indiesita...morenita...pero casi nunca se usa negra (para describir)...y cuando se usa tiene que ser de cari?o...por que si uno describe a alguien como negro ya eso es un insulto.

Come on people o.k. we are not all black...but we are mostly black. So if you take 85 % red and 15% white...will it look more red or white...and then if it looks more red, should we still call it pink?
Oh one more thing, the Dominicans that look white, obviously white, do they go around saying that they have Taino or Black ancestry? Why isn't it an issue for them?

info
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/dr.html

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Matos, maybe you don't know but typing in all-caps is considered a violation of netiquette. It also makes your posts very hard to read.

On to the OP:

What's this obsession about embracing one's race? I won't embrace a darn thing, my skin colour does not define me. It was an accident of birth, same as my nationality. I was not given a choice. I can only take pride in what I accomplish on my own, on what I conciously decide and do.

I don't get it. I REALLY don't get it. Flag-waving and racial pride are things foreign to my psyche.

::goes away shaking head::

DulcineaToboso

Feb 24, 2005
Nal0whs said:
It's rather ignorant to say all Dominican have African blood when in fact, all don't have African blood.

If you would have said, many Dominicans have some African blood (by saying some, you recognize there is a mixture, where else will you see dark skin people with blue eyes for example).

There are many Dominicans who clearly don't have any black blood in them, I'm one of them and there are many like my self. In fact, look at our last suppose president Hipolito, as much of a traitor he was to the nation, he is still a white Dominican.

The only real blacks (unmixed blacks) found today in the DR are Dominicans of American slave decendants from Samana, Dominicans decendants of the Congolese from Villa Mella, and the Dominicans decendants of Cocolos from San Pedro de Macoris. Aside from those, the other pure blacks are Haitians and Dominicans of Haitian decent.

Other than that, it's a conction of mulattos, Asian-Dominicans, middle eastern-Dominicans, jewish-Dominicans, japanese-Dominicans, etc etc etc

A new study recently using mitocondrial DNA (the type inherited from the mother which happens to never change its form through generation) found that many Dominicans (more than many Afro-centric peoples would like to accept) have some Taino traits in their bloods and the same spells for Puerto Rico.

Also, I'll suggest you come to the DR and take a visit to the Vega Real (especially the Campo named Baqui and Maguey) and then come here and tell everyone that there are no Dominicans with heavy Taino phenotypes and genes. As you will see, many folks (especially in those two campos, but also in many other campos in the areas) have yellowish to light skin with dark spots due to the sun, high cheek bones, and other physical features that clearly point to strong Taino features.

Also, in every Dominican home, the concept of who is family, the roles of the mother in the house, and cooking methods is a mixture of our European, Taino, and African cultures blended into one.

certain food (like Casabe), certain music instruments (like the Guira), certain vocabulary (like bohio), the typical wood shack homes found all over the countryside (which are Taino style bohios), and names of places (like Bonao) are all from the Taino influence and Spanish influence.

In addition to this, many Dominicans have traits that only Indians have, like the so called shovel teeth.

I understand its hard for many Afro-Centric peoples, especially those from the United States, to accept that mixed people are called mixed because they are not purely one or the other thing, aside from being purely mixed!

I know its hard for Americans and American-influenced peoples to accept the mixture that has occured in the DR because the US is a country that is still lagging behind when it comes to race.

They think branding people into white or black is good, but that notion came from the racist white of the South of the USA who wanted to keep their white blood pure. Thus, any body with any tiny bit of black blood is considered black in the US, but that is to keep the whites pure.

The real blacks also abuse from the mulattos by forcing them to believe that they are black when they are not. The reason for this is for more political power. The reality is that a mulatto is called mulatto for a reason and that reason is because a mulatto is nothing more than a mulatto, not white or black.

In South Africa, mixed peoples are called Coloured, in the rest of the world they are called Mulattos, in the USA they are called black. Guess what, majority rules, US kick your racist view out the window and accept reality.

The world doesn't come in nice packages. It would have been nice if the world could easily be divided into simple and nice packages, but that is not the case, so adjust you views to reality and stop trying to cover the sun with one finger.

Hopefully, in this day and age of DNA technology, we would be able to take samples of many if not most Dominicans to fully make it clear to everybody of the mixtures that exist in the eastern two thirds of the island of Hispaniola.

I have been reading a lot of your posts...you express yourself well...but also contradict yourself...it's ok...we are human...we make mistakes...I'm sure I made many in my long post.

I like to make Italian, Chinese, Turkish, French, etc, dishes. Should I be confused about maybe being a descendent of all these nationalities, because based on your argument, if you cook it, if it's part of your diet, you descend from it. Does that make any sense?

I don't know. I think you have good intentions but your arguments are a little off.

DulcineaToboso

Feb 24, 2005
Nal0whs said:
Can't argue with you here, you hit the nail.

Well, if you are lighter than your mother, then expect your mother side of the family to call you claro or blanco. If your skin color is closer to that of whites than blacks or browns, then expect to be considered claro or blanco as well.

Also, keep in mind that its just a way of differentiating you from maybe your cousins (who might be a varied colors) and/or other peoples around.

The fact that they call you blanco, doesn't mean you are white, it just mean you are light skin. Keep in mind that you have european blood in you from your father side and clearly Taino and maybe some African blood from your mother side. The straight hair from your mother is clearly a native trait. You are the quitessential Dominican, a mixture of the three pillars Dominicans society stands upon.

Also, just how the word Indio is used here in the DR to mean a mixed person, not an indian.

In Haiti, the word Blanc (which means White in French and in Creole) is used to mean a foreigners, not necessarily a white person.

However, you will hear many Haitians and American blacks and American non-blacks say that Dominicans use the word indio to hide their African heritage and that is just not true.

Just how the Haitians use the word blanc to mean non-Haitian, they don't use it to hide their European influences, which although are less so than other areas of the hemisphere, Haiti still has some French influences.

If a Dominican comes to the US and has a kid here, the kid should be consider DOMINICAN?!...but if an Asian, Arab, Jew, etc, goes to DR and has kid, that kid is Asian-Dominican, middle eastern-Dominican, jewish-Dominican, etc? Huh?! If you are a little confused refer to your other post.

Matos

Feb 23, 2005
You are getting lost in the details

Pib said:
Matos, maybe you don't know but typing in all-caps is considered a violation of netiquette. It also makes your posts very hard to read.

On to the OP:

What's this obsession about embracing one's race? I won't embrace a darn thing, my skin colour does not define me. It was an accident of birth, same as my nationality. I was not given a choice. I can only take pride in what I accomplish on my own, on what I conciously decide and do.

I don't get it. I REALLY don't get it. Flag-waving and racial pride are things foreign to my psyche.

Is not an obsession is reality...If we do not know where meregue,bachata,cuisen,culture,the dominican voodoo,ect...come from than how are people going to live..yes our culture is mixed with a little bit of spaniard but we have to embrace who we are....
just because u don't care where u come from does not mean 9 million other dominicans wouldn't care either.....

is this small enough for you myopic mind to read?

DMAO

Oct 30, 2004
There are many races/cultures that mixed. The product of all the mixing is Dominican Republic.
If one goes by skin color, yes we are mostly Mulatto. The DR is a mix of many cultures predominantly African and Spaniard. On top of that there is a llittle Taino, Arabic, French, Haitian (yes, Haitian) and others---the list goes on.
It is rare to find a "pure" Dominican. Pure as in pure Spaniard, right from when they set foot off the boat.

Lets get off the Moon and back to the little island called the Dominican Republic. We are mixed and can't deny any of the ones involved in the mixing.

As for a Dominican born in the US: My kids were born here. My husband and I born in DR. That makes them Americans with a Dominican heritage. Period.

DulcineaToboso

Feb 24, 2005
Pib said:

On to the OP:

Are you black? Are you white? What? O.k. it's none of my business... Does racism exist? Have you ever experienced it? Have you ever witnessed someone else being discriminated against?

If you answered yes to any of the above, then maybe you can understand the importance of getting people to appreciate who they are, and to accept and be proud of their racial identity. But don't listen to me...get some ethnic studies books and look around you.

Oh the wonderful things that can happen when we open our eyes...

I live in the real world...do you?

DulcineaToboso

Feb 24, 2005
bad word choice, bad

Tordok said:
Tvagyok! and Gimabella are clearly young and trying to learn re. themselves and their Dominican ancestry. Some people quickly jump into conclusions on this topic. For all to see the DR is a multiracial/interracial/transracial society. Percentages, etc by perceived phenotypes, are useless. People must understand that the DR has been the epicenter of miscegenation. Mixing has been going on for over five centuries, and its now happening elsewhere in the world, but Dominicans have been at it longer. The Dominican people are always welcoming of foreigners to visit, or stay and mix (excepted from such a friendly welcome- for historical reasons- are the Haitians; who come, stay and mix just as well anyways).

The physical space occupied by the DR today is literally where for the first time in human history the peoples from the so-called American Indies, from western Europe, and from sub-saharan Africa, all shared a small geography.

I just flew back from SDQ via MIA sitting the whole trip next to whom appeared to me to be a Korean-American female teenager from suburban Seoul, or Seattle. As soon as we landed she was on her cell phone to her local friends in her distinctly Dominican-styled "capitale?ita" teenager lingo.

She had thought that I was "American" and I had thought that she was Asian. We were both Dominican!! We had a good laugh. At the end of the day we must feel proud and learn from the whole spectrum of ethnic influences we have. Even if a few on any end of the spectrum don't really have DNA from all the groups (genes), we all have shared the cultural heritage (memes) which is the result of all the cultures (and not just races) coming together in the Dominicus hemi-insula.

DR was also influenced by the infamous French who where capable of stating such things as Vive la difference! as well as Liberte, Egalite,
Fraternite. We are equals while being different. Homogeneous and heterogeneous at the same time. Deal with it!!

- Tordok

Miscegenation is an archaic term invented in 1863 to describe people of different human races (usually one European and one African) producing offspring; the use of this term is invariably restricted to those who believe that the category race is meaningful when applied to human beings. In modern usage, the term is common only among those who believe that such "race mixing" is inherently bad.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Well, regardless of the word choice, Dulcinea, do you agree or disagree with what Tordok has stated. I think he is right in his observations about DR and the racial mixtures that gave birth to its people.

DulcineaToboso

Feb 24, 2005
Ummmmmm not really

juancarlos said:
Well, regardless of the word choice, Dulcinea, do you agree or disagree with what Tordok has stated. I think he is right in his observations about DR and the racial mixtures that gave birth to its people.

Actually, no I do not agree. Many things he wrote seem inaccurate. I have to dissect it tomorrow...cause it's late and I'm breaking night reading all these wonderful and not so wonderful posts.

P.S -- racial mixing is not exclusive to DR....people have been mixing all over the world...for years...Africans mixed with other cultures before they were kidnapped and brought to the Americas...I'm dozing off so...until tomorrow.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Hey haven't you heard:

"Y pa' que ella/el se metio con ese/a maldito/a negro/a" sound bad to me.

DulcineaToboso said:
Miscegenation is an archaic term invented in 1863 to describe people of different human races (usually one European and one African) producing offspring; the use of this term is invariably restricted to those who believe that the category race is meaningful when applied to human beings. In modern usage, the term is common only among those who believe that such "race mixing" is inherently bad.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Matos said:
Is not an obsession is reality...If we do not know where meregue,bachata,cuisen,culture,the dominican voodoo,ect...come from than how are people going to live..yes our culture is mixed with a little bit of spaniard but we have to embrace who we are....
just because u don't care where u come from does not mean 9 million other dominicans wouldn't care either.....

is this small enough for you myopic mind to read?
Race does not culture make.

My "myopic" little mind has given ample thought to the subject, and it was found interesting from a historical point of view. I will still not define myself by the colour of my skin. YMMV.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
DulcineaToboso said:
Are you black? Are you white? What? O.k. it's none of my business... Does racism exist? Have you ever experienced it? Have you ever witnessed someone else being discriminated against?

If you answered yes to any of the above, then maybe you can understand the importance of getting people to appreciate who they are, and to accept and be proud of their racial identity. But don't listen to me...get some ethnic studies books and look around you.

Oh the wonderful things that can happen when we open our eyes...

I live in the real world...do you?
Watch out that you don't trip over your tangled undies.

What does it matter what colour I am? Does it add anything to my argument? Can't you get past the messenger and judge the messange on its own merits? Don't you see it proves exactly my point?

I apprecciate what I am, that is what I made of myself. How should I expect others to see me for what I am (and not for a few twitches in my DNA chain) if I don't define myself by what I want them to see?

mami

Mar 16, 2004
I Agree

Stodgord said:
Come on FuegoAzul look around the population there is no denying the strong african influence. Taino blood is minimum in the population thus less noticeable. We Dominicans should face the truth about our African blood and stop trying to lighten our skin by calling ourselves Taino. Bottomline, we have more African blood than Taino in our gene pool.

I HAVE BEEN TO THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC AND IT ALWAYS CRACKS ME UP HOW PEOPLE ALWAYS POINT OUT THAT THEY HAVE A WHITE PERSON IN THEIR FAMILY. IN THE U.S. THE WHITE MAN TAUGHT THE BLACK PERSON THAT BEING BLACK WASN'T BEAUTIFUL. THIS MUST HAVE HAPPENED ON THE ISLANDS ALSO (NOT AS BAD AS IN THE U.S.) BUT IT IS TIME TO LET THAT GO MORENAS AND RUBIAS ARE BEAUTIFUL.

PARA LOS GUSTOS SE HICIERON LOS COLORES. I SAY LOVE YOURSELF WHATEVER YOU ARE. (BUT NEVER EVER FORGET WHERE YOU CAME FROM!!!)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I was born and still live in the DR and I'm not in denial either...

Matos said:
LISTEN BY 1499 TAINOS WHERE EXTINCT IN THE ISLAND OF HISPANOLA
..THIS IS PROOF THAT ONE COULD GET ALL OVER THE WORLD.. EXCEPT IN THE DOMINCAN REPUBLIC.. WE ARE IN DENIAL..

In the 1800's, Haitian slaves overthrew the french landowners, killing most of them. NOT WANTING TO MEET THE SAME FATE, THE SPANISH ELITE BEGAN A CAMPAIGN OF MISINFORMATION USING LITERATURE AS THE MODE OF TRANSMISSION.

The WHITE minority successfully convinced many blacks and others of african descent "MULATTOS" ON THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC SIDE OF THE ISLAND THAT THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANYTHING IN COMMON WITH THE BLACKS IN HAITI.

"THEY CREATED A MYTH THAT EVERY PERSON IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC HAD SPANISH FOREFATHER AND AN INDIAN MOTHER."READ(The development of Literary blackness in the Dominican Republic) go to any book store and buy it or search the internet.... Anyway here are some more mythical stories that us dominicans have created to justify our blackness...
"The hatians mixed us when they took over the whole island and that is why most of us are black"...LOL not true
I have heard so many Black dominicans say that and is very sad......
Dominican Republic is a black nation and perhaps the only place in the world where black people do not like to be called black....
I COULD PROOF THAT 95% OF THE POPULATION IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC IS OF AFRICAN DESCENT....HOWEVER, THE GENERAL POPULATION AND EVEN THE GOVERNMENT DENIES THIS HERITAGE....

BY THE END OF THE 16TH CENTURY 65% WHERE BLACK,20%MULATTOS AND 15% WHITE...HOWEVER, NOW(2004 CENSUS SHOW) IT'S ABOUT 40%BLACK, 55%MULATTOS AND 5%WHITE......

MOST BOOKS WOULD SAY MAYBE 70%MULLATOS AND 20%BLACKS BUT YOU HAVE TO BE SURE WHAT KIND OF AUTHOR HAS WRITTING THE BOOKS.

ANYWAY, I'M A DOMINICAN WHO BARELY HAS BLACK BLOOD...IN FACT, I AM FROM THE CIVAO, WHERE THE LITTLE BIT OF WHITES ARE LEFT....I COULD SEND YOU A PICTURE IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME :)

I AM NOT TRYING TO BE BLACK.. I AM NOT IN DENIAL.iKNOW MY COUNTRIES IDENTITY AND I AM PROUD OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH AND BY THE WAY A MULATTO IS -1 A PERSON WHO HAS ONE BLACK PARENT AND ONE WHITE PARENT 2 TECHNICALLY, ANY PERSON WHO HAS BLACK AND CAUCASOID ANCESTRY....and that's straight out the dictionary (spanish)

1. Don't use cap-locks, unless you are intentionally screaming and if so, tone it down a bit, this is a debate, not the jungle.

2. It's apparent that you currently live in the US. Thus, when you come to the DR, your mind focuses on the higher proportions of browns and blacks found in this country than white skin people. As such, for you, we might as well be considered all black, but that is just your brain adjusting to the Dominican sight after being in a country like the US where whites tend to overflow most areas in numbers.

However, look at most Dominicans streets and you will see mixtures of people, brown, white, black, olive-skin, etc etc etc.

3. There is proof that Tainos did not went into extinction in 1499 as previously believed. I would suggest for you to do more research on this subject before further insultings those Dominicans who do have Taino strains and take as much pride in identifying their Tainoism as much as they identify with every other strain from Africa and Europe that makes them who they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.