Donald Trump: Haiti is a '****hole' country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donnad722

Mar 22, 2016
I’ve had the opportunity to meet many Haitians during the years I’ve wintered in the DR. They are some of the hardest working, honest, most creative people I had the pleasure to meet. In the face of constant adversity, they still smile and carry on. Frank is right. Their country is in a deplorable state due to natural disasters and corrupt governments but the Haitians can’t be faulted for that. The Haitians I know rise above that and get on with their lives. Those that have migrated to Canada are hard working, honest people, and contribute to our economy and culture. 

I’ve seen the animosity some Dominicans exhibit towards Haitians. I’ve noticed that the ones who show the most animosity are very poor, uneducated Dominicans who are angry with their lot in life and need something or somebody to complain about. A large number of the Dominicans I know are concerned about the plight of the Haitians and some even sympathize with them.

It seems as if it is forgotton that America became a great nation because people from all over the globe made their contribution.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The situation has gotten so bad with respect to Haiti that Govts have given up on that country. The only dealings with Haiti undertaken these days are those that provide significant economic advantage to the external entity. History clearly shows that the desire to "fix" Haiti is impossible and must be left to Haitians to do themselves.

Individuals the world over have yet to come to this realization because they can't seem to shake the delusion that good intentions are all that is necessary to succeed. Economic groups, be they businesses or NGOs are all in it first and foremost for the money and any good works that make a slight bit of difference are just an added public relations bonus.

"We" make this same mistake all the time when we desire to fix other countries and other people. Our way is always the best and yet we continue to fail to achieve any degree of measurable and sustainable difference.

Freud is groaning in his grave.

BigRoco

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Any post that doesn’t deal specifically with Haiti will be deleted, and from here on will incur infractions. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

Go to the Trump thread in Off Topic for everything else

I read all messages before your warning and they talk of Haiti so why are you so angry person.

BigRoco

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
last i checked, you are not the President of the USA. you can say it, and Larry can say it, and Joe Blow can say it. the leader of another country should know better than to say it.

True he should watch his words they can hurt. I never met a person from Haiti before, but since we have been mostly 6 weeks now in Sousa I have learn of them and they are so nice I think maybe their country is disaster - but the words used by Mr Trump are not diplomatic.

Apr 10, 2014
Once again Trump nails it, connects with real people, voters and tax payers! At least he has the balls to say what the majority of Americans and 99% of Dominicans think.

Haiti is a ****hole, fact!

Now that is out of the way, maybe now some Governments around the globe will actually work at changing that reality, as it obvious it will not happen internally.
Thank you so much!!!!

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
A s***hole by any other name is still a s***hole. Haiti has been run by idiot dictators since time began. All they have done is taken a beautiful country and destroyed it for profit. That is not racist to the people of Haiti but over time it made the country a s***hole.
If anybody else in the world said this it would have gone pretty much unnoticed. But one guy with a bad haido says it and everbodys panties get in a knot.
No wonder that job can't get good applicants.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
A s***hole by any other name is still a s***hole. Haiti has been run by idiot dictators since time began. All they have done is taken a beautiful country and destroyed it for profit. That is not racist to the people of Haiti but over time it made the country a s***hole.
If anybody else in the world said this it would have gone pretty much unnoticed. But one guy with a bad haido says it and everbodys panties get in a knot.
No wonder that job can't get good applicants.

actually, other world leaders are sufficiently decent and classy that they would not be guilty of such a faux pas. you know, and i know, that Haiti is a basket case. copious amounts of keystrokes have been expended on that matter, right here in this site. many of us have wondered aloud if it can be fixed. in reality, it is probably just what he said it is.

that is not the issue. it is not the done thing for a world leader to refer to an entire continent as a ****hole. people with class, and proper upbringing, do not do certain things. the kids in the class might make fun of a guy's handicap, but the teacher ought to know better than making jokes about it.

your mom might be a real b1tch, but that does not mean your dad should call her that name at the cashier in Walmart. it is called civilized restraint.

Bundel2014

Feb 11, 2017
Trump calls it correct.In the early 1993,the clintons first got involved,putting that drug addicted former priest in as president.John Claud,something,what a mess.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
So, lets be real. Lets sell our homes, uproot our kids, and move to the safety of Haiti. Lets enjoy the quality medical care, the abundance of social services, the outstanding education system, the road and highway infrastructure, the clean and reliable sanitation and food products, the powerful and consistent energy supply, and outstanding public transportation.

I can understand Haitians, noble people, looking to better themselves by getting to the USA.
The country is a **** hole- a failed nation state. A reality- spoken clearly and without question. President or not, the reality that everyone knows and now can state openly. Haiti, as a nation, is a big dig.

Question is: Why not France? Why not Mexico? China could use color diversity.

The comment about Norwegians- well, they are amongst the highest livings standards in the world. They contribute and bring wealth- what Americans need now- not more social safety nets.

Lots of well meaning hearts will disagree, but unfortunately things are not as one would want in a perfect world. The USA now needs prepared immigration- and there are many alternatives to the USA available worldwide to flee to.

Last edited:

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Thank you so much!!!!

Exactly. He brings direct clarity and simplicity to an age old problem. Haiti has been the orphan child in this hemisphere, on the radar when it suffers another human catastrophic event, but brushed aside immediately thereafter. Oh but for the well meaning, those who champion Haiti when it suits them. Unfortunately, the Haitian solution is not a USA problem to solve. Cuba, next door sinks immigrant ships trying to get there- Dominican Republic is a pressure valve that benefits and simultaneously suffers from being its closest neighbor. As Trump made clear, it is what it is. Now, the world needs to deal with it.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
So, lets be real. Lets sell our homes, uproot our kids, and move to the safety of Haiti. Lets enjoy the quality medical care, the abundance of social services, the outstanding education system, the road and highway infrastructure, the clean and reliable sanitation and food products, the powerful and consistent energy supply, and outstanding public transportation.

I can understand Haitians, noble people, looking to better themselves by getting to the USA.
The country is a **** hole- a failed nation state. A reality- spoken clearly and without question. President or not, the reality that everyone knows and now can state openly. Haiti, as a nation, is a big dig.

The comment about Norwegians- well, they are amongst the highest livings standards in the world. They contribute and bring wealth- what Americans need now- not more social safety nets.

Lots of well meaning hearts will disagree, but unfortunately things are not as one would want in a perfect world. The USA now needs prepared immigration- and there are many alternatives to the USA available worldwide to flee to.

Not just the US, we have that problem here in Europe.
You know how many handicapped immigrants I see every day?
Old folks, young kids, adults it's incredible!!
For them I feel good because they're better off here but common sense tells me that our governments have lost their minds.
We have to let in people that bring something to the table and not take away.
People who are willing not only to better themselves but also will contribute to the welfare of their new fatherland.
Here in the Netherlands 64% of welfare recipients are immigrants, WTF????
Again I believe Trump should have chosen his words better but he's right.

Last edited:

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
We clearly see now how each of us stands on race.
In the past it was tip toed around.
Nice to finally see exactly where many line up on the issue.

What is racist here? Its not about white or black. There are enough white ****hole nations around to add to the case. The issue is carving out for one group over the other. Trump never associated Blacks to this matter- the press did. Clearly, there are racists in these forums that hide behind the bent truth being said- but Trump was clear- the nations are failed states. What do the USA citizens have to do with them? As engaged as the country is worldwide, there are many alternative nations that should take up the slack.

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
The comments made by Trump are neither a republican or democrat sentiment, but of course blindless supporters will make it a partisan issue. The fact of the matter is that, yes, Haiti is a ***hole so don't kid yourself. The President represents the US and when he says things like why are we bringing "these" people here, it's pretty much saying that we think of the Haitians as trouble causing, non contributinmembers of society as a whole. The point of the "american dream" is that people from foreign lands come to the US for the sole purpose of making a living and if they contribute back to their home country thats even better. We all need a better world to live anyways and not just keep the US at the highest pedestal. I am not a supporter of our President at this point, but anything can change of that as I look for a leader who can show strong character and actually take things like a normal human being when being criticized. My wife who is Dominican has expressed views against Haitians, even to the point of telling our house servant "who is haitian-dominican" about them. I don't base an entire group of people by the actions of a few, its just plain ridiculous. Many Haitian friends of mine who I have worked with express their hope to help their home country any way possible, even if that means having to work in another country to help support that dream. People do what they have to in order to maintain their lives. Sure, there are many other countries people from third world countries can go to, but when the US has labeled itself the land of prosperity, where the heck do you think these people would rather go especially when their country is not doing so well to be able to fix it internally?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Shared islands seldom live in harmony.  Look at Cyprus, Timor, Borneo and Ireland.

Will we ever see a unified Hispanola in our lifetimes?

Everyone knows that Haiti is broken, some say beyond repair.  Do we really need the most powerful and influential man in the world to call it a $hithole?  To me that's akin to a rich man driving through an African township in his Rolls Royce , going "Nyah, nyanie, nyah, nyah" out of the window.

I see nothing positive coming from Trump's remarks.  Just more polarisation of the American people and further isolation from the World stage.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
The comments made by Trump are neither a republican or democrat sentiment, but of course blindless supporters will make it a partisan issue. The fact of the matter is that, yes, Haiti is a ***hole so don't kid yourself. The President represents the US and when he says things like why are we bringing "these" people here, it's pretty much saying that we think of the Haitians as trouble causing, non contributinmembers of society as a whole. The point of the "american dream" is that people from foreign lands come to the US for the sole purpose of making a living and if they contribute back to their home country thats even better. We all need a better world to live anyways and not just keep the US at the highest pedestal. I am not a supporter of our President at this point, but anything can change of that as I look for a leader who can show strong character and actually take things like a normal human being when being criticized. My wife who is Dominican has expressed views against Haitians, even to the point of telling our house servant "who is haitian-dominican" about them. I don't base an entire group of people by the actions of a few, its just plain ridiculous. Many Haitian friends of mine who I have worked with express their hope to help their home country any way possible, even if that means having to work in another country to help support that dream. People do what they have to in order to maintain their lives. Sure, there are many other countries people from third world countries can go to, but when the US has labeled itself the land of prosperity, where the heck do you think these people would rather go especially when their country is not doing so well to be able to fix it internally?

Well said!!

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
last i checked, you are not the President of the USA. you can say it, and Larry can say it, and Joe Blow can say it. the leader of another country should know better than to say it.

I understand your point, but that is why Trump is so popular with everyone and is the POTUS despite being a political neophyte. He says things as they are, it is indisputable that Haiti is a terrible place. How can anybody argue ?

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
It seems as if it is forgotton that America became a great nation because people from all over the globe made their contribution.

100 years ago there were 1 billion people in the world. Now there are 8 billion, most are hungry, desperate and poor. More people live like Haitians than Americans. There are a few enclaves of civility in a chaotic world ie US, Canada, Europe, Australia etc. If the borders are open to everyone our societies are done. America is the most successful and benevolent country in the world, that is why the hungry hordes want to be there. The world has changed and POTUS recognizes that the status quo is not sustainable.

I am not sure how that position makes me "white robe" worthy

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I think everyone is missing the huge point here. This is how (as an immigrant) it sounds to me IF you say that I come from a shythole country it means I'm no good.

The insult is to the people coming from those countries regardless of whether the country is a shythole or not. Unless you are a native we ALL came from somewhere else to make a better life. Has something changed?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

i see you are one more guy who does not get what the opposition is all about.

let me not bother to waste any more time trying to explain this.

Status
Not open for further replies.