Donald Trump: Haiti is a '****hole' country

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Shared islands seldom live in harmony.  Look at Cyprus, Timor, Borneo and Ireland.

Will we ever see a unified Hispanola in our lifetimes?

Everyone knows that Haiti is broken, some say beyond repair.  Do we really need the most powerful and influential man in the world to call it a $hithole?  To me that's akin to a rich man driving through an African township in his Rolls Royce , going "Nyah, nyanie, nyah, nyah" out of the window.

I see nothing positive coming from Trump's remarks.  Just more polarisation of the American people and further isolation from the World stage.

thank you, beeza. it is really gratifying to see that someone gets it. there is no debate that Haiti is broken, probably beyond repair. but calling a person's ancestral home a ****hole is bad form, and i fail to understand how there could be people who cannot see that.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Some of you are so blinded it's funny!

Trump "allegedly" said Haiti was a ****hole.

No actually proof and denied by Trump and the Whitehouse that he said ****hole.

Even CNN are now back tracking. You gotta love the desperate liberal media :)

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Guys, a bunch of infractions have already been given, what part of Haiti (or DR) related do you not get?

Also a reminder that discussion of race is not permitted in the regular forums, take it to the appropriate thread in Off Topic please.  

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Am I alone in wondering what a post about a president of the United States talking about a completely different country to Dominican Republic is doing on this forum? Mods? Please understand that not everyone who speaks English is American, many of us really don't care at all what Donald Trump says and we really don't need to be reading about it on DR1.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Am I alone in wondering what a post about a president of the United States talking about a completely different country to Dominican Republic is doing on this forum? .......

You may have missed it, although this is dr1, this forum is dedicated to Haiti, been that way for quite some time.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You may have missed it, although this is dr1, this forum is dedicated to Haiti, been that way for quite some time.

Thanks bird. Yes, eight years I believe.  I think today is the anniversary of the big quake in Haiti, according to a post I made on Facebook saying we had experienced the quake at our home. (Facebook reminds you about prior posts on their anniversary)

If memory serves me, Robert added the Haiti forum at that time. 

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I was in the city when the quake happened attending a management meeting.
Started to feel real strange in the head and thought the reaper was coming for me, then I saw the the ceiling lights swinging and knew I was alright.
Coming home I found out what had happened. Have spoken several people who lost loved ones in the rubble.
Had a meeting with the son of the owner of Hotel Montana, they're from German decent and he told me the story of his mother being lost for 4 days under the rubble but then was pulled out alive and fairly unharmed.
The person next to her was dead, horrible!!

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I hope the Donald was making a rhetorical question as it should be fairly obvious why somebody would want to escape the tropical paradise that is Hatia.

It reminds me of Churchill who commented that he knew many Bulls but this was the first Bull that brought his own China shop. An apt description for the Trump administration.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Once again Trump nails it, connects with real people, voters and tax payers! At least he has the balls to say what the majority of Americans and 99% of Dominicans think.

Haiti is a ****hole, fact!

Now that is out of the way, maybe now some Governments around the globe will actually work at changing that reality, as it obvious it will not happen internally.

You are taking the entire subject out of context, as can be expected. He lumped, El Salvador, and the entire continent of Africa in the diatribe.
He then went on to imply that things would be better if there were more immigrants from Norway.
It doesn't take a rocket-surgeon to see through that veneer.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You are taking the entire subject out of context, as can be expected. He lumped, El Salvador, and the entire continent of Africa in the diatribe.
He then went on to imply that things would be better if there were more immigrants from Norway.
It doesn't take a rocket-surgeon to see through that veneer.

There is conflict on what exactly he said, with the Republican senators remembering the conversation differently than the Democrats. Either way it was a private meeting and the actual conversation shouldn't be made public, otherwise why have a private conversation. I suspect the the Democrats may have pushed their agenda a little too aggressively and will now meet far more resistance.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Today the ambassador of Haiti in the USA was interviewed in PBS News Hour in NY regarding the comments made by Donald Trump, especially his focus on Haiti and Haitians.

[video=youtube;nuyQOAuErtc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuyQOAuErtc[/video]

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
There is conflict on what exactly he said, with the Republican senators remembering the conversation differently than the Democrats. Either way it was a private meeting and the actual conversation shouldn't be made public, otherwise why have a private conversation. I suspect the the Democrats may have pushed their agenda a little too aggressively and will now meet far more resistance.
Did he say it or didn't he? Trump's opponents have been talking about it nonstop keeping it in the public consciousness.

Haiti, El Salvador, Africa...

A large segment of the population agrees that they are for the most part shytholes.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Some of you are so blinded it's funny!

Trump "allegedly" said Haiti was a ****hole.

No actually proof and denied by Trump and the Whitehouse that he said ****hole.

Even CNN are now back tracking. You gotta love the desperate liberal media :)

Robert,
Try to spin it as you may!
Whereas there is no video of this meeting available, there is a litany of public offensive statements on video by trump in regard to many ethnic communities.

But Sen. Dick Durbin, the only Democrat in the room, disputed the president’s account.

“He said these hate-filled things and he said them repeatedly,” Durbin said,
Durbin added, “When the question was asked about Haitians … he said, ‘Haitians? Do we need more Haitians?'”
Trump took particular issue with the characterization of his comments on Haiti.

“Never said anything derogatory about Haitians other than Haiti is, obviously, a very poor and troubled country. Never said “take them out.” Made up by Dems,” Trump wrote. “I have a wonderful relationship with Haitians. Probably should record future meetings – unfortunately, no trust!”
http://time.com/5100741/dick-durbin-donald-trump-immigration-meeting/

2 Republican senators have come down with a case of “****hole”-related amnesia
Tom Cotton and David Perdue were in the room yesterday. They claim not to “recall” Trump’s comments.
https://www.vox.com/2018/1/12/16885312/trump-****hole-countries-denial

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Robert,
Try to spin it as you may!
Whereas there is no video of this meeting available, there is a litany of public offensive statements on video by trump in regard to many ethnic communities.

But Sen. Dick Durbin, the only Democrat in the room, disputed the president’s account.

“He said these hate-filled things and he said them repeatedly,” Durbin said,
Durbin added, “When the question was asked about Haitians … he said, ‘Haitians? Do we need more Haitians?'”
Trump took particular issue with the characterization of his comments on Haiti.

“Never said anything derogatory about Haitians other than Haiti is, obviously, a very poor and troubled country. Never said “take them out.” Made up by Dems,” Trump wrote. “I have a wonderful relationship with Haitians. Probably should record future meetings – unfortunately, no trust!”
http://time.com/5100741/dick-durbin-donald-trump-immigration-meeting/

2 Republican senators have come down with a case of “****hole”-related amnesia
Tom Cotton and David Perdue were in the room yesterday. They claim not to “recall” Trump’s comments.
https://www.vox.com/2018/1/12/16885312/trump-****hole-countries-denial

Not quite sure how, even if he did, call Haiti a ****hole, how that is hateful? BLUNT AND TRUEFUL, YES, HATEFUL NO, BUT THEN FOR THE DEMOCRATS EVERYTHING THAT SOMEBODY ELSE SAYS IS HATEFUL OR RACIST.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Once again Trump nails it, connects with real people, voters and tax payers! At least he has the balls to say what the majority of Americans and 99% of Dominicans think.

Haiti is a ****hole, fact!

Now that is out of the way, maybe now some Governments around the globe will actually work at changing that reality, as it obvious it will not happen internally.

That's not even close to true. He's not trying to "effect global change," he was simply being an obnoxious jackass by taking a pot shot at Haiti. 

But clearly, you're just trying to trigger people, so have fun!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Not quite sure how, even if he did, call Haiti a ****hole, how that is hateful? BLUNT AND TRUEFUL, YES, HATEFUL NO, BUT THEN FOR THE DEMOCRATS EVERYTHING THAT SOMEBODY ELSE SAYS IS HATEFUL OR RACIST.

He's not some dude at the bar, Bob. He's the POTUS, and the representative of us all. He could have easily addressed the issues confronting Haiti without a bunch of insults.

Of COURSE it was racist and hateful, and let me help you understand. Replace the word "Trump" with "Obama," then take out the word "Haiti," and replace it with "Canada," or any other place you care about.

See how that works? If Obama had said the same thing, in the same way, about your home country, you'd be livid. I mean, you and your fellow travelers can't get over the "you can keep your doctor" thing, how would you honestly have reacted if he called your home, which you served and raised your family in, a s***hole? 

But you like Trump, so for you it's just a distraction. For the rest of us, it's a dishonor.

He's not a disruptor, he's just a jerk.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
He's not some dude at the bar, Bob. He's the POTUS, and the representative of us all. He could have easily addressed the issues confronting Haiti without a bunch of insults.

Of COURSE it was racist and hateful, and let me help you understand. Replace the word "Trump" with "Obama," then take out the word "Haiti," and replace it with "Canada," or any other place you care about.

See how that works? If Obama had said the same thing, in the same way, about your home country, you'd be livid. I mean, you and your fellow travelers can't get over the "you can keep your doctor" thing, how would you honestly have reacted if he called your home, which you served and raised your family in, a s***hole? 

But you like Trump, so for you it's just a distraction. For the rest of us, it's a dishonor.

He's not a disruptor, he's just a jerk.
None of us was privy to the conversaTION AND NOBODY HAS A TAPE RECORDING. A bunch of insults...? I don't think the word of one senator (Durbin) is more trustworthy than that of another (Cotton) Actually I don't like Trump but I dislike the HYPOCRITICAL Democrats even more. Parts of Canada are ****holes, I am willing to admit.

Last edited:

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
None of us was privy to the conversaTION AND NOBODY HAS A TAPE RECORDING. A bunch of insults...? I don't think the word of one senator (Durbin) is more trustworthy than that of another (Cotton) Actually I don't like Trump but I dislike the HYPOCRITICAL Democrats even more. Parts of Canada are ****holes, I am willing to admit.

What's most telling is the other people in the room aren't coming out to defend Trump. Would be easy to pick up political points that way. 

It's because he said it, Bob. But let's move on to the larger issue.

The US is significantly made up of people who came from places like Haiti, Ireland, South Italy, the "country" of Africa and other locales precisely because they were talented people who couldn't make it work due to the issues in their homeland. Indian and Pakistani immigrants are now the per capita wealthiest minority group in the US.

I have a Haitian client who is a multi-millionaire who sells medical equipment. My partner brought a master's degree in physics with him to the states.

The fact is, he didn't focus on Moldova or other deeply poor european countries. Instead, he once again took a shot at black people, which he's consistently done over the course of decades.

He could have worded his comments differently, and he chose to go with them to feed his base. Why his base needs to hear clearly racist comments is a topic for another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.