Don't get defensive but be prepared to answer the questions

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I believe the adage to be, "If you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear". It has been used in the UK, Spain, Argentina and elsewhere for a while now. Not that I necessarily condone or approve of the tactic, but as mentioned above, this is the world we live in and I currently can understand why it may be deemed necessary.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I’ve always been told to be at the airport two hours before flight.  Now the DR has changed that, perhaps because of these new screenings?  They have posted this:

View attachment 2731

For a few years now it's been 2 hours for short haul, 3 hours for long haul.

I'll never forget my first welcome to the US almost 30 years ago. The immigration official was a Latino so in my innocence I greeted him in Spanish, leading him to doubt I was really British, also because of my non-Anglo name and appearance. I was given a quick UK geography test. "Where do you live? Bristol? How far is that from London? How far is that from CAM-bridge?"
I resisted correcting his pronunciation and was allowed in.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I’ve always been told to be at the airport two hours before flight.  Now the DR has changed that, perhaps because of these new screenings?  They have posted this:

View attachment 2731

Most airline policies are in place to allow for two hours time for domestic flights, and three hours time for international travel. This is not only for security measures, but also check-in and baggage claims. As a frequent flyer through SDQ, I can genuinely state that I have witnessed the uptick in tardy, last minute Charlies causing tremendous problems and inconveniences, thereby increasing the nuisance value to all. With the Navidad/Christmas season commencing, and several airlines adding additional flights (more travelers) for this period of time, it is my belief that three hours may not even be acceptable, and you may want to allow yourself four hours time. It is my experience that it is much more comfortable to travel at a leisurely pace, rather than a hurried one. Regardless, good effort by the DGM to get the word out in advance. I originally saw it on Twitter.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I would have more confidence in my safety if the following was not true

http://theweek.com/articles/736329/tsa-pathetic-failure

it's hard to know how to react to the not exactly astonishing news that the TSA continues to be really bad at its job.

How bad? According to ABC News, in a series of recent tests in which undercover agents attempted to smuggle guns, knives, bombs, and goodness knows what other contraband materials into the "secure" areas of various airports, the agency failed around 80 percent of the time. Probably bureaucratic flunkies will interpret this as a welcome sign of improvement, as it no doubt is better than the 95 percent rate reported a few years ago. The rest of us are just smiling blandly with our shoes off and our belts draped over our shoulders while our 2-year-olds run away with our half-open laptop cases in the direction of the body-scan machines. Please don't shoot!

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Last time I flew back to the states the only "questions" I was asked
came from some short cocky homeland security fella at Miami Int'l
who was less than polite. Dumped my bag out on the table and when
i asked if he could help me repack it, he laughed and said "you managed
to get packed by yourself the first time, I'm sure you can manage it again".

No worries tho, next time I fly back stateside the only thing I'm carrying
with me is a passport and plane ticket. Problem solved :cheeky:

Should have Taken the clown's name/badge, and filed a report. Heavily embellished, of course.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Caonoba. Although what you wrote might seem sensible. However, I have found that I have no problems arriving at SDQ for overseas flights under two hours .The few times I have arrived earlier , my baggage has been opened and always is last bag on the carousel when I arrive .I find the exiting at SDQ fast with minimum queues before the first passport check ,few problems with xrays and not much of a wait at immigration . Arriving at SDQ ,there is a greater delay ,all depending if passengers in front have entered before and the information is stored. I think it is wonderful how they check the luggage tags with your receipt . SDQ is a great airport ,in my opinion

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Kipling333. I agree with the statement that SDQ is a great airport. The finest in the RD, in my humble opinion. Less riff-raff than other airports within the RD which happen to be crowded with inexperienced vacationers, or just some lacking common sense. I am only suggesting that with the holiday season upon us that the experienced traveler may want to allot themselves a little bit of time on the front end. Holiday traveling is much different than flying on a slow, mid-week day in July, for example. Also agreed, that sadly, if your luggage happens to be the first checked in, you will undoubtedly be the last off the conveyor belt upon your arrival destination. First in, last out. For me, such is life. I'd rather keep my distance from the drama queens and last minute Charlies. Since a child, airports have always been an amusement for me, and now as an adult, I know how to keep myself well occupied within them. Many friendships for me over the years, both professional and personal, were gained during airport down time, so to speak. Happy travels to all.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
Kipling333. I agree with the statement that SDQ is a great airport. The finest in the RD, in my humble opinion.

Punta Cana (PUJ)  airport ,  judging only from our experience ...is the best in DR ...compared to our experience of  SDQ and almost all of the other airports in DR . Our favourite experience with PUJ is ....every Friday ...taking the overnight fright from São Paulo and landing at PUJ around 6:45am on a Saturday morning..when the airport is still quiet ...and almost empty...and the sun is just beginning to rise  . The flight is usually en-route to Miami ...so you are one of the  few (4 or 5 ) business travelers leaving the plane ...you clear immigration in less than 5 minutes ( usually with a smile and a "welcome home señor") . Your luggage claim time is less than 15 minutes tops... ADUANA just waves you on ...and you are on your way home within 20 to 30 minutes of landing ...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Punta Cana airports handles more flights than
EVERY other airport combined in the DR. The new Terminal B is as good as any airport in the US or elsewhere. No comparison to SDQ.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Punta Cana (PUJ)  airport ,  judging only from our experience ...is the best in DR ...compared to our experience of  SDQ and almost all of the other airports in DR . Our favourite experience with PUJ is ....every Friday ...taking the overnight fright from São Paulo and landing at PUJ around 6:45am on a Saturday morning..when the airport is still quiet ...and almost empty...and the sun is just beginning to rise  . The flight is usually en-route to Miami ...so you are one of the  few (4 or 5 ) business travelers leaving the plane ...you clear immigration in less than 5 minutes ( usually with a smile and a "welcome home señor") . Your luggage claim time is less than 15 minutes tops... ADUANA just waves you on ...and you are on your way home within 20 to 30 minutes of landing ...

Customs at Punta Cana normally insist that every bag is put through the X-Ray machine and this is quite annoying. Every time I travel through on my own, they always insist on doing a "full" bag check, then give up half-way through the first suitcase.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Customs at Punta Cana normally insist that every bag is put through the X-Ray machine and this is quite annoying. Every time I travel through on my own, they always insist on doing a "full" bag check, then give up half-way through the first suitcase.

Exactly. When I arrive solo, I try to walk with another group of people or woman. So, it looks like I am a tourist. I could not quite do it last time. And, of course, the guy pulls me aside. I don't think the xray machines were even running. He starts looking through my bag - what is this, how much does this cost in your pais. Etc, etc. I have to explain look - here is a card inside the bag from TSA at JFK that says they already went through all of this. Of course, that doesn't make any difference. He doesn't know what it is or what it means. I explain most of this is little things for the house and presents/regalos. None of it costs much. He asks how much the cheap cell headphones cost. I say you want them? Here. Adios.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I go through PUJ a lot. My move is I put on a Miami U hat, I have a guy for the luggage because I always have a lot. Then I wait for a large group and get in the middle before I leave the luggage area. Works great.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
My experiences at Punta Cana were the same..It is an airport that is still running behind the increasing number of tourists but is trying to extend facilities all the time.However at present, there are few airport lounges for the large number of different airlines , immigration and customs can be a nightmare if arriving with other tourist flights , the parking is horrendous and the Taxi drivers are scoundrels , I used to fly the direct flight to Gatwick..no more. Far better to use Iberia from SDQ and at least be with fewer tourist groups and use a reasonable system . I am flying out next month so will see how the new security checks work and report . I am not flying to the USA so maybe the hassle will be much less.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
A tip to deal with customs at PUJ terminal B. If you are a DR citizen or have a Cedula you of course pass the tourist booth. Then stay to the left and keep walking. Sometimes someone approaches me, but I have FAD photo ID, so I am good. But I have seen people go with just a Cedula. Worth a try. This way you bypass the line and use the booth all the way to the left.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Regarding the enhanced security, it's also a complete joke. We were asked a series of pointless questions about why we were in Santo Domingo by Delta at Santo Domingo during the 20 minutes we waited in line to check in for first class (seriously?) and I just told the woman to stop asking me inane questions and to do something about us having to wait. I answered one or two of the questions and then told her I wouldn't be answering any more, and she just walked away.

Lol, that might work here, if you try that state side you will be in a room standing tall before the man.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

This is obviously every traveler's dream for a flight segment. To be able to disembark with only four or five others, and be allowed to proceed through controls untroubled. But for the multitudes, it is only that, a dream, not normal standard operating procedure for today's air travel. In regards to São Paulo, I have traveled there several times on conference to discuss collections within the Museu de Arte de São Paulo, but have never utilized PUJ for such purposes.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
My experiences at Punta Cana were the same..It is an airport that is still running behind the increasing number of tourists but is trying to extend facilities all the time.However at present, there are few airport lounges for the large number of different airlines , immigration and customs can be a nightmare if arriving with other tourist flights , the parking is horrendous and the Taxi drivers are scoundrels , I used to fly the direct flight to Gatwick..no more. Far better to use Iberia from SDQ and at least be with fewer tourist groups and use a reasonable system . I am flying out next month so will see how the new security checks work and report . I am not flying to the USA so maybe the hassle will be much less.

Oh yes - my friend came to pick me up and made the mistake of coming into the parking lot. To go out, you have to pay at a machine. There might be two. They were not working. So, they wanted to make everyone wait until the machine(s) was fixed. En serio? My friend backed up to avoid the long line that was already backing up and cut in with the gua guas. Paid the 50 peso at the gate and luckily we got out.