Don't get defensive but be prepared to answer the questions

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
A tip to deal with customs at PUJ terminal B. If you are a DR citizen or have a Cedula you of course pass the tourist booth. Then stay to the left and keep walking. Sometimes someone approaches me, but I have FAD photo ID, so I am good. But I have seen people go with just a Cedula. Worth a try. This way you bypass the line and use the booth all the way to the left.

It is Migracion where the cedula makes a difference. I have one. The line is much shorter to left for sure. The problem is aduanas. I stayed to the left this time -mistake, the guy was lurking there. To the right were more people and about three guys lounging against the not-functioning belt from the xray. Ah, but I forgot about getting the guy to take my maleta from the carousel with bag. I don't mind giving him two dollars to get me past the aduana. Most of the time that works, don't look at anyone, just keep walking. No one approached me at the carousel this time so I just left. I think I will remember to try that again next time.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
This is obviously every traveler's dream for a flight segment. To be able to disembark with only four or five others, and be allowed to proceed through controls untroubled. But for the multitudes, it is only that, a dream, not normal standard operating procedure for today's air travel. In regards to São Paulo, I have traveled there several times on conference to discuss collections within the Museu de Arte de São Paulo, but have never utilized PUJ for such purposes.

At PUJ they assume any male arriving solo is suspect. In my experience, and others have posted the same here.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Which then allows us to return to Post #21.

Yes, I understand. But, the reason they are talking to me is that they want me to pay a tax on what I bring into the country and make sure I am not carrying more than $10,000. I understand this is their job. But, once I explain I don't have goods over the allowed value, I don't have more than $10,000, I live here, I am only bringing regalos for my family - that should be it. There is a point beyond which it is absurd. But, of course, my reality is different than theirs. I get it. It is just annoying after traveling for 12 hours to have an encounter which gains no one anything. But, this kind of thing is what one learns to put up with here. And, in truth, US Customs and Immigration is not much easier - except I have global entry, so hardly ever have to talk to anyone to arrive there. One time they pulled me out and cut open one package of Santo Domingo cafe. Jjj. What a world.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Try getting on the Israel airline without answering ''stupid questions'' ... not going to happen!

With all due respect, the Israelis do NOT ask stupid questions. I remember traveling there decades ago as a teenager, and I still remember the calculated questions at the pre-check-in screening. Yes, you read that correctly. The Israelis utilize psychological tests that gauge how you respond to questions that you probably did not practice answering and are not likely to allow you enough time to create a false response. As someone else mentioned, the DR does not have time for this nonsense.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
At PUJ they assume any male arriving solo is suspect. In my experience, and others have posted the same here.

Agreed. If I travel with friends or with my mother it's straight through. If I travel solo, bags checked. Apart from the last time, where they have decided to put all bags for all passengers through the X Ray and everyone was just throwing their bags on, so it became confusing who was travelling with who. That was the only time that I have travelled solo and not been stopped.

Every time they do stop me I always wonder what they are looking for (apart from money). They take things out of my bag and ask what it is, what its for, it's almost like someone has told them to go through everyone's luggage but nobody has explained what to look for.

I have bag tags from the Dominican Tourist Board, those also help, I always say I've just come back from an official meeting.

nekokatt

Feb 25, 2012
Went thru SDQ twice everything fine and quick even though close to the holidays
On the US-bound flight (United) there were airport staff doing interviews in the Jetway
I was asked two questions (am Asian male; US citizen)
1. Did you pack bag yourself?
2. Did anyone give you anything?
Recall those questions were asked in the 1990s (the good old days before 9/11)

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
With all due respect, the Israelis do NOT ask stupid questions. I remember traveling there decades ago as a teenager, and I still remember the calculated questions at the pre-check-in screening. Yes, you read that correctly. The Israelis utilize psychological tests that gauge how you respond to questions that you probably did not practice answering and are not likely to allow you enough time to create a false response. As someone else mentioned, the DR does not have time for this nonsense.

The DR has all the time in the world. Maybe you are in a hurry and don't think they should take your time

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Went to MIA out of POP earlier this month with my Dominican wife. Nothing out of the ordinary at all except they almost didn't accept my cedula as proof of residency(they wanted to see the residency card)and wanted to charge me an overstay fee. Typical security screening except that I got random selected to have my bag "swabbed" to check for explosives.

Entering MIA was pretty staright forward. Checked my wife's visa and asked her how long she was going to stay and where. There is no more typical "customs" in MIA. You just get your bag and go. There are custom officers there and they just seem to stop people at random. My wife was one. They asked her if she was bringing in any type of meats/sausages from the DR. She said "no" and we were on our way. Afterwards, she looked at me in total disbelief and asked: "Why would a Dominican bring meat here"?

Returning back from MIA was normal except this time she was randomly selected to have her bag "swabbed" for explosives.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I travelled STI to Miami -Dallas-Vancouver in November and at the Airport in Santiago I showned them my Cedula and my Canadian passport. They said my Canadian passport was blocked so they had to call a supervisor and go over to another computer terminal and unblock it. I paid nothing as I have Dominican citizenship. They told me the block on the passport is automatic after 30 days in country. Whole process took about ten minutes.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
listin diario covers the story about airport interrogation today:
https://www.listindiario.com/la-rep...-de-abordar-el-avion-por-medidas-de-seguridad

it explains who gets pulled out for questioning:
La nueva medida recomendada por la Administración de Seguridad del Transporte de Estados Unidos (TSA), la cual ya se está aplicado en el aeropuerto Internacional de Las Américas, solo incluye algunos pasajeros de cierto perfil y procedencia sospechosa.

the more you know...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I am sure that this new policy will identify one terrorist sometime before the next century...........

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
listin diario covers the story about airport interrogation today:
https://www.listindiario.com/la-rep...-de-abordar-el-avion-por-medidas-de-seguridad

it explains who gets pulled out for questioning:
La nueva medida recomendada por la Administración de Seguridad del Transporte de Estados Unidos (TSA), la cual ya se está aplicado en el aeropuerto Internacional de Las Américas, solo incluye algunos pasajeros de cierto perfil y procedencia sospechosa.

the more you know...

The airline decides the procedure. Every airline will be different . In Santiago JetBlue asks everyone a question a two , BEFORE you check in and also before boarding as to if your belongings have ever left your possession. I have travelled every week through Santiago since I first posted this and that has not changed.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...ts-new-screening-for-us-bound-passengers.html

A better explanation is the above link

While five global long-haul carriers said they would begin the new security interviews on Thursday, each offered different descriptions of how the procedure would take place, ranging from a form travelers would be required to fill out to being verbally quizzed by an airline employee. Other carriers insisted their operations remained the same.

"The part of the new measures I don't like is that airline personnel are being put back into the security screening process," said Jeffrey Price, an aviation-security expert at Metropolitan State University of Denver. "Airline ticket agents aren't always the best at conducting security measures."[/B

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-bound-travelers-get-new-airport-scrutiny/

Swapna Chakrabortui said she was startled when she was told she would have to go through a security interview before boarding her flight in Calcutta, India, but relaxed when she realized it applied to everyone.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
You may be aware that eff Oct 26th passengers Flying To U.S. Face Heightened Screenings with a new question and answer interview segment for travelers on international flights to the U.S. plus increased scrutiny of luggage. The rules apply to people from all countries, but procedures vary by airline.

I encountered it last night in santiago . Everyone encountered a kind of interview segment by the attendants that check passports before the actual checking. questions like do you have kids? , how was the trip? , what made you come to DR? What is your occupation?

Then as you are about to board, the attendants that check the passport again asked some questions. Obviously they are now getting used to it because one was actually giggling as she asked in kind of embarrassment at having to inquire.

This was on Jetblue. Every airline could be different in how they choose to conform.

So just answer the questions and don't be defensive like a few that i overheard. It's sign of the new times we live in

BTW: Global Entry was out of action in NY when I landed and I got grilled in NY also. It's been a while since that happened and I travel 30 times a year, so its defintely two way enhancement.
p
I will be returning to States after being here 8 1/2 - 9 months.  Leaving from PUJ.  Can anyone advise what

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
p
I will be returning to States after being here 8 1/2 - 9 months.  Leaving from PUJ.  Can anyone advise what

Sorry I got cut off in mid post so.  I will be returning to states after 8 1/2-9 months here.  I will leave from PUJ.  Can anyone advise if they know there might be much extra time needed for me to go through customs?  I know I will pay extra $ for length of stay but because of new procedures just want to think how much time I need to allow at airport.
Thank you for any advice/suggestions.
Jeb

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
I flew home last week on AA from POP. While in line for security they pulled my passport and gave it to a desk inside. Inside the girl just handed me back my passport and NO time wasted or questions asked??  Think every airline thought is different .... (but to be honest I was surprised when they pulled  my passport, I asked myself, "what did I do now" jijji)

singletravel

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I am sure that this new policy will identify one terrorist sometime before the next century...........

I am pretty sure that any person who has ever lost a family member, friend, neighbour or collegue to such a despicable act as terrorism would hardly mind answering two or three simple questions in order to attempt to ensure travel safety. It really is not the end of the world. Once again, this practice was not instituted on a whim by the RD, but is now practiced as a whole by all nations with flights to the US of A, and whom also receive funding from that nation as well. In my opinion, not too much to ask for.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Sorry I got cut off in mid post so.  I will be returning to states after 8 1/2-9 months here.  I will leave from PUJ.  Can anyone advise if they know there might be much extra time needed for me to go through customs?  I know I will pay extra $ for length of stay but because of new procedures just want to think how much time I need to allow at airport.
Thank you for any advice/suggestions.
Jeb

As advised in the notifications, allow yourself three hours for international flights, and you will be fine with no headaches.

May 5, 2007
I am always asked these questions. Last Christmas, I came back from DR, the immigration agent proceed to ask me why DR so often, where I was staying. She was friendly and acted like she was interested in visiting DR, she even googled Las Terrenas. Was tested for drugs in SDQ, pulled from customs line in the US. Sometimes, they even ask my kids.

Morena with a passport filled with stamps spike interest, I am used to it, I don't sweat it, makes me feel special if anything :p

How did they drug test you and what were they looking for and repercussions if positive? Just never heard of that and am curious