DR Leaves Inter-American Court of Human Rights

Do you agree with the Constitutional Tribunal's decision to remove the DR?

• Yes

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • No

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters

K-Mel

Apr 15, 2012
NALS,

1. Now youtube videos reflect scholarship about the african slave trade ? Are you serious ?
2. Not only Dipp (PHD from la Sorbonne) but also have a look "Y tu Abuela Donde Estas" by Deive (2012)
3. Jean Price Mars in French :

Dr Jean PRICE-MARS, La R?publique d’Ha?ti et la R?publique dominicaine. Les aspects divers d’un probl?me d’histoire, de g?ographie et d’ethnologie. TOME I. Depuis les origines du peuplement de l'?le antil?enne en 1492, jusqu'?

Chapter 4: p78

Those who read french (as their native tongue) would understand from the ORIGINAL text that the paragragh about the massacre all of whites was about Saint Domingue (p78), hence Price Mars quotes Dessalines sayings after the French massacre of 1804 (p 79)...

Two remarks are from Santo Domingo "Dessalines avait assimil? les gens de l'est aux Blancs Fran?ais, ses ennemis de toujours " p78, and p79 "...Dessalines et ses g?n?raux se crussent oblig?s une sorte de repr?sailles sur toutes les populations du territoire oriental " so nobody in Santo Domingo was targeted about his color. Here goes against your falsification and misinformation. Because taking a sentences out of a whole chapter, is indeed misinformation. Comments about Campo Tavares (Haitian General and Ambassador ) or Pablo Ali ( Fought haitians in 1805) ?

4. Juan Vasquez who killed the French and the one killed during Christophe attack was the same ( see Madiou in his chapter about the Haitian attack of Santo Domingo)

5. Moreau Saint Mery in his description of Santo Domingo did not use the spanish codes of Santo Domingo that can be find in Larrazabal Blanco, or Deive..., or Pons (Dominicacion Haitiana)

I still believe that you do a lot misinformation to fuel the hatred against the Haitians...And it is a shame. One again those who speak french can red chap IV of Price Mars and compare it to your interpretation here...And it is all lies...

I am done, and people do your OWN research don't let this man BS you with his nonsense....

Last edited:

K-Mel

Apr 15, 2012
What about the African slave trade between Africans. That began far before the 15th century. You can ask Moses about it.

Mr Saunders, this is your opinion but not a scientific fact (until proven). The slave trade as it was known from the 15th to the 19th, already existed in Europe since antiquity (Greece and Rome). Egypt was not a slave society like Rome, Greece, Brazil etc.

- slave breeding
- branding slaves with hot irons
- slaves as prostitutes (men, women, children)
- slave revolts ( 4 in italy BC)
- slaves as "things" or "res" in latin
- separate slaves from the same regions (hence same languages) to avoid slave revolts as they did in Greece and Rome ( same method would be applied in the new world).

There were at least 2 millions slaves in Rome during antiquity, when Haiti had 500000 slaves in 1791 ( 700000 exactly). Europeans enslaved each others from antiquity to the 19th century ( Russia), so you should not send this rock to Africans...

PS: I hope you will do some further research before teaching this nonsense to your pupils...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Mr Saunders, this is your opinion but not a scientific fact (until proven). The slave trade as it was known from the 15th to the 19th, already existed in Europe since antiquity (Greece and Rome). Egypt was not a slave society like Rome, Greece, Brazil etc.

- slave breeding
- branding slaves with hot irons
- slaves as prostitutes (men, women, children)
- slave revolts ( 4 in italy BC)
- slaves as "things" or "res" in latin
- separate slaves from the same regions (hence same languages) to avoid slave revolts as they did in Greece and Rome ( same method would be applied in the new world).

There were at least 2 millions slaves in Rome during antiquity, when Haiti had 500000 slaves in 1791 ( 700000 exactly). Europeans enslaved each others from antiquity to the 19th century ( Russia), so you should not send this rock to Africans...

PS: I hope you will do some further research before teaching this nonsense to your pupils...

Slavery comes/came in many forms and through-out most of antiquity regardless of where in the ancient world you are talking about, Asian, Africa, or Europe there were slaves , mainly as a result of war. Nobody is saying that it was the same form of slavery, as in breeding and highly organized commercial selling, however it was still slavery and existed on the African continent before a European ever set foot there.
PS. Perhaps you should expand your knowledge instead of fixating on European bad behavior. The ancient Persians freed the Jews from slavery by Arabs.
A History of Slavery

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
NALS,

1. Now youtube videos reflect scholarship about the african slave trade ? Are you serious ?
You could had said "I have no counter argument" and that would had been fine, because its obvious you don't.

K-Mel said:
2. Not only Dipp (PHD from la Sorbonne) but also have a look "Y tu Abuela Donde Estas" by Deive (2012)
You can cite as many works from the 20th century as you want, but when what they say doesn't quite matches what the people that actually lived those eras say then I'll always give the benefit of the doubt to the people who were contemporaries in those times.

Dr. Maggiolo said it best about four years ago (from 4:32 to 5:04).

[video=youtube;b9_T1kHS4qk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9_T1kHS4qk[/video]

"I believe that the memory (ie. history) is fundamental; and now that in this country (DR) some want to erase our memory and they want to insert a new memory, that is not the real memory but rather an invented one, we have to manage our memory with care and make of her a defense of our national values and our moral values. In essence, I was not mistaken when I became aware that the memory is fundamental to understand life..."

He's referring to a certain group that since the 1960's have been making efforts in re-writing Dominican history with not much care for the primary sources.

K-Mel said:
3. Jean Price Mars in French :

Dr Jean PRICE-MARS, La R?publique d’Ha?ti et la R?publique dominicaine. Les aspects divers d’un probl?me d’histoire, de g?ographie et d’ethnologie. TOME I. Depuis les origines du peuplement de l'?le antil?enne en 1492, jusqu'?

Chapter 4: p78

Those who read french (as their native tongue) would understand from the ORIGINAL text that the paragragh about the massacre all of whites was about Saint Domingue (p78), hence Price Mars quotes Dessalines sayings after the French massacre of 1804 (p 79)...

Two remarks are from Santo Domingo "Dessalines avait assimil? les gens de l'est aux Blancs Fran?ais, ses ennemis de toujours " p78, and p79 "...Dessalines et ses g?n?raux se crussent oblig?s une sorte de repr?sailles sur toutes les populations du territoire oriental " so nobody in Santo Domingo was targeted about his color. Here goes against your falsification and misinformation. Because taking a sentences out of a whole chapter, is indeed misinformation.
I really don’t know what you are whinning about, because the French version says the very same thing the Spanish does and why shouldn’t it?

“Dessalines associated the population of the east to the white French, his greatest enemies.”

“He ordered the massacre of the whites and those whom he considered as such – because of their sentiments – blacks or mulattoes.”

Dessalines killed anyone he considered white, which included the white people and the people of color that demonstrated disagreements about the abuses he was committing against those people. What do you think happened in the Spanish part, considering the close relationship that existed even between the minority of slaves with their masters? Didn’t you read where McKenzie, years after the Haitian Domination had started, says that even though freedom had been granted to the slave minority in the Spanish part, many of the slaves decided to stay with their former masters? Why do you think that was the case? It’s quite obvious why, racial and color resentments simply didn’t exist in the Spanish part of the island because most of the minority of slave owners treated their slaves with humanity, quite an uncommon thing in those times, as the very sources say. You injured a white person and you got a reaction from the people of color defending that white person, period. That’s why the victims of the massacres in the eastern part included whites, mulattoes, and blacks. They spared not a single soul and only those that managed to hide in the forests survived the ordeal, because the Haitians hunted even the people from the countryside to death.

These are stories that exist as part of family histories in many Dominican families and that have been passed down for generations by elders that often times didn’t even knew how to read or write. Direct descendants of the survivors, most of whom lost people in those ordeals and that is something neither you nor anyone can ever change.

JPMA.jpg

JPMB.jpg

Anyone can tell the Spanish (in my previous posts) and the French versions say the same thing.

K-Mel said:
Comments about Campo Tavares (Haitian General and Ambassador ) or Pablo Ali ( Fought haitians in 1805) ?
I have no opinion about Pablo Ali, but it wouldn’t be the first time someone that was supposes to benefit from the Haitians turned against them. The African Americans that Boyer settled in many places, especially the colony in Saman?, also turned against the Haitians and took the side of the Dominicans in support of our independence and the removal of the horrible and abusive Haitian authorities. Not a single African American sided with the Haitians, not one! They saw how the Haitian authorities mistreated the population and these were religious people, most Baptists and Methodists, who couldn’t reconcile their religious moral duty with the barbarity of the Haitian soldiers. That’s why when the US sends a commission in the 1870’s to study the sentiment of the people regarding annexation to the USA and whether any Dominican of any color would had favored a union with Haiti, even in Saman? there was a unanimous rejection of any union with Haiti. Saman?!

Campo Tav?res is well known, he tried to save the Santiago population from the vengeance and he did so as a fellow Spaniard. Do you want for me to copy the speech he gave to the Santiagueros in an attempt to save as many of his fellow countrymen hours before the blood shed began? It was because of him that so many people were saved, because he was even thankful to the good treatment his former master from La Vega had given him, treating him on par with his other legitimate children. What do you wanted him to do? To reject uniting with Dessalines, knowing very well, as Jean Price-Mars said, that Dessalines killed the white and anyone that had sentiments in their favor and against Dessalines’ brutality? Campos Tav?rez would had been killed and anyone that says not so, is simply turning a blind eye to what even Jean Price-Mars couldn’t ignore.

K-Mel said:
4. Juan Vasquez who killed the French and the one killed during Christophe attack was the same ( see Madiou in his chapter about the Haitian attack of Santo Domingo)
The priest Juan V?squez from Santiago was not the same V?squez from Dajab?n, this last one was named Josef, not Juan. This is easily verifiable in (Vasquez to Pierre Cecile, 30 July 1793, and Vasquez to Pierrot, 25 August 1793, both letters are in the Archives nationales of France (available at their website too), D XXV 12, d. 117). Juan and Josef are not one and the same, so stop the nonsense.

K-Mel said:
5. Moreau Saint Mery in his description of Santo Domingo did not use the spanish codes of Santo Domingo that can be find in Larrazabal Blanco, or Deive..., or Pons (Dominicacion Haitiana)
Moreau de Saint-Mery spent several months in the Spanish part and described the society he witnessed in the late 1700s. William Walton did the same thing 20 to 30 years later and his descriptions even match those of Saint-Mery’s regarding the treatment the slaves were given in the Spanish part of the island. The British Consul at Port-au-Prince, upon visiting all areas of the island in the 1820’s (right in the Haitian Domination period) even mentions not only of the treatment that the slaves got, but also of the fidelity that many of them had to their masters, to the point that many even stayed with their former masters despite all the incentives to be free.

It's all cited visually in my previous posts, the original texts too, for all to see what he and the others really said.

K-Mel said:
I still believe that you do a lot misinformation to fuel the hatred against the Haitians...And it is a shame. One again those who speak french can red chap IV of Price Mars and compare it to your interpretation here...And it is all lies...

I am done, and people do your OWN research don't let this man BS you with his nonsense....
You can believe whatever you want, especially since you can't counteract what I have proven here. But, there is such a thing called projection. Maybe you should familiarize yourself with that.

The problem with history is that it can't be changed and the evidences are there for all to see, if they are so inclined to see them. Nothing beats primary sources from the time period to clarify what truly happened.

Last edited:

K-Mel

Apr 15, 2012
NALS,

1. Gates is not a scholar of the slave trade, there are hundreds scholarly books about the slave trade and Gates is not considered to be one of them scholars. Lovejoy, Spears, Thornton, Gaston Martin, Peytraud, Patterson, Inikori etc, etc. You can have contempt for africans but at least do a serious study (Gates is a joke, I personally don't have any of his books..) before uttering such nonsense. Indians were enslaved in the new world and sold in europe ( Dover Uk, Spain, Portugal) and Africa (Capo Verde, Angola). I would call a fool, anybody who says that they sold each others to the French, English, Spanish or Portuguese because the primary sources are there to prove that Europeans forces were behind that ( Allan Gallay, Barbara Olexer, Lauber etc).

Being honest I haven't even looked at that video ? GATES scholar of the slave trade ???

2. You are in Denial, Richard Konetzke has documented all the spanish racist laws against mestizos and mulattoes. Deive's book wipes out all your lies anyway. Or you have also Lewis Hanke books...

3. About Dessalines and his motivation to attack santo domingo:

The first and only motivation was Ferrand's decree which allowed to kidnap slaves children (blacks and mulattoes) and you know it. The reason Dessalines and his Haitian fellows ( including mulattoes) , did all these mischieves (IT WAS WRONG) was Missiessy bombings and the resistance in Santo Domingo under French rule (their mortal enemies)..Dessalines never spoke about the color of the inhabitants of Santo Domingo as THE cause of his attack against them : (1) check his (Dessalines) warnings before the attack, and his declarations after the attack (2) and the journal of the military campaign of Santo domingo to be found in Distant (3). I am letting you posting you the complete documents (and not only some parts). And you won't find any reference to the skin tone of the inhabitants of spanish side of la hispaniola in these primary sources...If you don't find them I will post them.

JP Mars said that Dessalines considered the Dominicans to be allied of the whites FRENCH,and he killed ANYONE who associated to the white french (whites, blacks, mulattoes), so the skin tone was not the first motivation against this attack: this is why I call you a distorter...

You also forgot to mention that Haitians kidnapped 1000 dominicans during that campaign, and brought them to Haiti. Why did they did not kill them in Santo Domingo ? Why did they not killed them in Haiti ? See ? You are a liar !

Juan Bosch, Moya Pons, Esteban Deive and all serious historians don't support this version which is a MUST in some nationalists interpretation of the DR, but which is unfortunately a lie.

This is why I asked you about Tavares and Ali. Tavares former Dominican slaves, with his men ( mulattoes and blacks enslaved in the cibao, the last slave rebellion in the Cibao was in 1812) joined Dessalines in 1805 and participated to the attack of Santo Domingo, their motive was to counter and kick out the French who supported slavery. This is the best argument about your supposedly racially motivated attacks against dominicans because they were "whites" when most of them were mulattoes and blacks at that time ( see Bosch " De colombo a Castro" Volume 2, Deive "Y tu Abuela). Most of the whites of Santo domingo at already left in 1795 and 1801 ( Toussaint conquered Santo Domingo because of the same reasons: santo domingo was a place were slaves kidnapped from Haiti and sold in Puerto Rico and Cuba as reported by Schoelcher in his biography of Toussaint Louverture..

So once again your Haitian attack against the DR, in 1805 , supposedly provoked by racial motivations is a LIE....

Why Dessalines attacked santo domingo in 1805 ? FERRANDS decree and the French present in Santo Domingo, who could use this part of the island to come back as they wanted to do in 1822 but found Boyer's Army ( see Moya Pons "HISTORY OF THE CARIBBEAN") .Any other interpretation is a a LIE.

4. Ok thanks, I'll check about Vasquez

5. You are a nationalist, this is ok but many of your posts are oriented to present Haitians as beasts. I personally think that your country is not the solution for the Haitians, but using lies to create more hatred between the two nations is not the right solution and you have been doing it for years...with a distorted "scholarship"...

Last edited:

K-Mel

Apr 15, 2012
NALS,

About the myth of dominicans slaves preferring being slaves under their master dominion rather than freedom (Deive's wipe out also this myth in his book that I cited"):

- Batallon 32 , after 1822, was created out of the freed slaves of santo domingo. With the Batallon 31 ( Morenos libres) they were the principal militar force in Spanish Santo Domingo.

- One of the former slave owners in Santo Domingo, Francisco Brenes wrote in September 1822 :

" Los Libertos Injuriaban a sus amos ...Los libertos unidos con las tropas de Hayti insultandolos a cada momento " see References in Moya Pons "La Dominacion Haitiana" p47

- There is a book that I downloaded from the agn.do called "Boletin del Archivo General de la Nacion " published in 1946. P 285 there is a chapter called "Insureccion de Negros Esclavos", where the last slave revolt ( intentado una insurreccion general) were lead by slaves (mulattoes and blacks) and libertos (punished by Caceres). Can you explain to people why would slaves revolt in Santo Domingo in 1812 ( another one in the Cibao that same year) if it was la la land to them (even if slavery was far milder in the spanish side) ? Why did they plan during these 2 rebellions to kill all the whites of spanish santo domingo (remember that freed mulattoes and blacks were among the rebels ) ?

- Deive in his book "Los Guerrilleros Negros" reproduces the testimony of a dominican slave during the haitian revolution, and caught during a slave rebellion: "...los negros espanoles eran pendejos, pues los negros franceses estaban matando franceses..." p 206

The problem with you is that your feelings (against the haitians) lead your postings :

- Haitians and Dessalines attacked the "whites" in Santo Domingo because of their color (when in the same secondary text or source it is written that he considered any white or mulattoe or black associated to the FRENCH as enemies) when they wanted to kick out their enemies and unique TARGET the french. As a parallel Spaniards did the same in 1492. They kicked out the moors from Grenada, because muslims foes (Turks and North Africans) could used that part of spain to conquer again the all territory.Spanish killed, burnt and enslaved these moors, and kicked out all the moriscos in the 17th century.Can we blame them (the spanish) for expelling the moors ? No ! Because Moors enslaved them, mistreated them, humiliated them and dominated them for centuries (see Reinhart Dozy) and they did not want to suffer again, these humiliations after 7 centuries...

- Haitians had the right to smack the French out of la hispaniola. Dominicans finished the job in 1809 by fighting and expelling the French, so I still don't understand why they ( the elite associated to the french) did not help the Haitians to kick out the French 4 years later ? A lot of (unecessary) bloodshed would have been spared.

- Haitians ( Haitian army of that time not the people) were wrong when they attacked, and killed innocent civilians in 1805. They were also wrong when they took 1000 civilians with them back to Haiti. Dominicans soldiers who went to Haiti (to fight) in order to freed them were absolutely right, weren't they ( I think they right 100 %) ? If yes, Haitians(army) had the right to attack the French army located in Santo Domingo and who by decree allowed to kidnap any children and sold them out of the country (with some regulations with regards of the age of the children), their sided actions against the civilians was absolutely wrong. Thomas MADIOU renderings about the attack of 1805 does not refer to the skin tone of the Dominicans neither Beaubrun ARDOUIN. JP Mars explains why Dessalines and his generals killed so much people in la Hispaniola : they were associated to the white French and you distorted it that he killed them because they were whites....When Dessalines himself had a WHITE priest and saved many German and Polish during 1804 MASSACRE...

You have to prove these things:

1. Dessalines ordered to kill all the whites in 1804 : LIE, Germans, Polish and others were not killed. And even some French were saved by Dessalines himself (for his own benefit of course). Christophe , Petion etc saved many French. FRENCH not all whites were the targets.

2. Dessalines warnings BEFORE this attack of santo domingo : you have to post the all document and show to people where the attack is motivated by the skin tone of the inhabitants of santo domingo (Les espagnols, as they are called in this paper) : 8 May 1804

3. Dessalines speech AFTER the attack of santo domingo: you have to post all document and show to people where the campaign is motivated by the skin tine of the inhabitants of santo domingo : 12 April 1805

4. The Journal of the Campaign : Journal de la Campagne de Santo Domingo 12 April 1805

This is the official Haitian rendering of the campaign of 1805, not one line is related to the skin tone of the inhabitants of la hispaniola and they even ackowledeged their mischieves in this document

These 4 points are primary sources...And I will apologize to you if in 2, 3, 4 you find any comment regarding the skin tone of the inhabitants of la hispaniola, AS the CAUSE behind these attacks...

Last edited:

K-Mel

Apr 15, 2012
Slavery comes/came in many forms and through-out most of antiquity regardless of where in the ancient world you are talking about, were slaves , mainly as a result of war. Nobody is saying that it was the same form of slavery, as in breeding and highly organized commercial selling, however it was still slavery and existed on the African continent before a European ever set foot there.
PS. Perhaps you should expand your knowledge instead of fixating on European bad behavior. The ancient Persians freed the Jews from slavery by Arabs.
A History of Slavery

Chattel slavery did not exist in Africa (but existed in Rome , Greece, Spain, France, England) until the 17 and 18-19th centuries (boom of the slave trade, and fornation of the slave tates in Africa) and it was introduced by Europeans and Africans (mulattoes and blacks) participated to that trade .Bruce L Mouser papers about the slave trade in the Rio Pongo region are quite explicits, or CLR Boxer in his "Race Relations in the Portuguese Colonial Empire 1415-1825" describes how the portuguese governors of Angola organized the slave trade by arms :

"..The negroes loathed our rule and fervently desired to throw us out of that conquest; and only out of fear and respect for our arms did they allow the preaching of the gospel and the admission of our trade.." p 37

Or Sir Hugh Thomas:

” …Some slaves were stolen by Europeans ‘panyared’ as the english word was and some as ocurred often in Angola, were the victims of military campaigns mounted specifically by Portuguese proconsuls in order to capture slaves…”Hugh Thomas, The slave trade (1997) , page 792

Some of these Angolan prisoners of wars finished up in the US (1619 :1st African slaves in the USA) since the Portuguese slave boat was captured by English Corsairs and sold in the US ( see "White Cargo: The Forgotten History of Britain’s White Slaves in America by Don Jordan and Michael Walsh ( 2008)").

So your "explicit" rendering of the slave trade (including Nals) is a general belief among neophytes but quite inaccurate. Now why focusing on European internal slave trade ? It was the model reproduced in the new world (Haiti, Santo Domingo, Cuba, PR, North America, Central America, South America etc) , initially by two nations who practised slavery ( whites, mulattoes, blacks) at home : Portuguese and Spanish.

Form of servitudes existed in Asia, Africa and in the New world among native indians, however they were not chattel slaves, had rights, married within the tribes and sometimes ended up of chief of the tribe ( see Roger Bastide). But the form of slavery introduced in the new world was exclusively an European thing.

Muslims enslaved millions of Europeans but they ended up as military chiefs (mamluks), vizier (like the vizier of solomon the turk, a greek slave), rulers etc.

The plantation slavery scheme of the new world was born in Greece and Rome, where you had a slave driver (vilicus), cruel punishments, slave jails ( ergastulus), slave codes ( romans slave codes see Buckland, Justinian code who influenced the siete partidas and the slave codes in spanish america, the wisigoths codes like the Lex Salica etc). A freed slave had to show respect to his former masters in European slaves codes, like in the spanish new world....

These laws, systems ( Encomienda system was created for the moors of spain in a first place), punishments (emasculations, whipping, branding, colliers etc) were practised in Europe ( for the slaves in Europe) before being implemented in the new world to Indians and Africans; and they did not exist within these two populations.

If you really want to know what happened in Africa during the slave trade you should open books and do research. Romans occupied North Africa and even fought the African queens of Sudan ( Candaces) , however 95% of their slaves were Europeans ( Anglo-saxons, Gauls, Iberians, Celts, Goths etc) or Asiatics ( Syrians, Armenians etc). If Africans would have sold each others since antiquity they would have been the biggest slave populations in Greek and Rome which was not the case ( Maurice Allard, Westermann, Finley, William D Phillips etc).

Slaves in europe have been mostly europeans, asiatics, arabs (cyprus, spain, portugal), berbers (Spain, Majorque, Canaries Islands, Sicily, Lucera, Portugal) , guanches, until the portuguese discovered africa ( Morocco, their first slaves were Sanhaji berbers) , Cabo Verde, Congo, Angola , Benin/Dahomey (Porto Novo), Ghana (Elmina etc). Romans used iberian slaves in the silver mines of Hispania. Behaviour reproduced by the Spaniards in the gold mines of the Cibao , with Indians and Africans.

Last chattel slavery diseappeared in Europe after ww2 only, because nazis used slave labour (millions ), see "Savage Continent - Europe in the Aftermath of ww2" by Keith Lowe (a best seller in Europe); chapter 10 "Vengeance Restrained : Slave Labourers".

Ps: I was just answering to your post which was pointing or deshumanizing africans (selling themselves to slavery) when Europeans have done the same thing for centuries and it is not mentioned except among scholars (not in medias, not in documentaries, etc)

Last edited:

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Man, these last few posts have been head spinning. There is lots of data to take in and I am reading the links provided and going off on my own tangents.

Honestly, I don't see the points of disagreement between k-Mel and Nals. Each of you are adding bits of information. I guess I don't get the polemics you each brandish, if indeed that is happening.

Seems like Nals wants an unvarnished warts and all timeline of haiti's role as an aggressor from a dominican perspective. He like the voice of contemporaries better than historians and intellectuals. Although he clearly has advanced academic training. Yeah he is harsh. But he is thorough.

But k-Mel, I don't get the name calling such as liar.

Nobody in this thread said Henry Louis gates is a reknowned scholar on the African slave trade. You really should have watched the videos. It was part of a series the wonders of Africa. It is his personal journey of a story he has always wanted to learn and tell. He is a masterful storyteller. I think he might aspire to be a grio.

Around that time he was in a public blood thirsty battle with Cornell west who went off to Princeton I think. HLG is an elite of the elite based in his scholarship of African American studies. He has produced important pieces of work and is committed to using popular media so that all people can learn this important history. Not just elite university students. He is a very good lecturer. He makes feel smart just by listening to him. And he is a genuinely nice guy. Met him. Went to a live lecture once in Cambridge. And I am a regular on Martha's vineyard. Spoke to mrs. Thurgood Marshall once. Big thrill for me.

While I am amazed this thread hasn't gotten closed, I hope it stays open a little longer.

Is there some polemical battle between you two? I am too dense to figure out what agendas, if any, you are advancing.

Be nice. You both are already super smart.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
mofongoloco said:
Seems like Nals wants an unvarnished warts and all timeline of haiti's role as an aggressor from a dominican perspective. He like the voice of contemporaries better than historians and intellectuals. Although he clearly has advanced academic training. Yeah he is harsh. But he is thorough.
Haiti was an aggressor practically through out the 19th century and this is documented, whether K-Mel wants to accept that or not is irrelevant. I'm pretty much done discussing this with him, because he continues to ignore what actually happened as explained by the people that lived it.

Aggressions (by the way, in the 17th and 18th centuries (1600's-1700's) the aggressors were the French and even Moreau de Saint-Mery said that he thought the Spanish would never forgive the French for what they did, meaning settling the western coast and everything that has ensued since then):

1801: The Haitians (nominally in name of France, but a year later the 'real' French arrive and Toussaint loses his grip on the eastern part of the island and is even removed from the island by the 'real' French in chains and taken to France practically as a prisoner for disobeying Napoleon with this invasion) invade the Spanish territory against the will of the people and also of the French government too.

1804: Dessalines declares the independence of Haiti, claims that Haiti encompassed the entire island plus the adjacent ones, and declares himself as emperor for life. Dessalines disregards several realities that makes this act, pertaining to his suppose authority over the Spanish portion, an act of aggression. (A) He ignores that all the Spanish towns in the eastern and interior of the island were under French control and by the will of the people. (B) Haiti was not recognized as an independent and sovereign state until the second half of 19th century, so everything Dessalines et al claimed was illegitimate for the rest of the world including for the people in the eastern and interior of the island. As far as France (and the rest of the world) was concerned, the whole island was politically French but the western coast was in a state of rebellion that eventually would be pacified by the French authorities (this never happened.) The island hardly had any French (roughly 2,000 in the Spanish part and most of the remaining French civilians in the western coast were slaughtered shortly after the declaration of Haitian independence.) The western coast was flooded with the ex-slaves of the French and the human presence on the rest of the island was basically Spanish; and neither the Haitians nor the Spanish considered themselves French nor wanted to be French. The Haitians wanted to be Haitians (and they wanted the Dominicans to be Haitians too), the Dominicans wanted to be Spanish, and the few French wanted to destroy the Haitians by using the Dominicans to do the fighting and on the ashes of this endeavor, they waned to use the island as the stepping stone for a new French empire that was to encompass much of the Caribbean and lands on the continent too.

1805: Dessalines, under his belief that he truly had control of the entire island, invades the Spanish part with the initial intention of expelling the last 2,000 or so French that were governing the Spanish portion. The French was the only real power on the island and it was a challenge to his authority over the insular territory not only because the French had a physical presence on the island, but also because the population on the Spanish part sided with the French and rejected Dessalines' authority. Dessalines himself doesn't fully understand that the population on the Spanish part reject his authority until he marches into the territory and notices that as he passed through several towns, the towns themselves were deserted because the people fled to the forest. When Dessalines passes through Bani, witnessing the same situation, his confusion as to why the Spanish population fled from the towns cleared and he understood that the Spanish population had sided with the French. The French were his enemy, the Spanish population sided with his enemy so he considered the Spanish population his enemy too. By this point the population of the east was doomed regardless if Dessalines would had captured Santo Domingo because he was an unforgivable vengeful man. The Spanish population rejected his rule and even when this became clear, he insisted on subjugating them by attempting to capture Santo Domingo from the French authorities. He failed because a confusion that arose when a French boat was seen sailing off the city of Santo Domingo (remember that the area near the colonial part of Santo Domingo slopes upwards and increases the visibility of the sea from very short distances away from the coast), thinking that it was headed for the defenseless ports on the Haitian side of the island. Because of this, Dessalines decides to retreat back to Haiti and orders his military to kill all the inhabitants found along the way, pillage and burn the towns, take some prisoners to the west; destroy the rural settlements too, etc. Once Dessalines arrives in Cap Haitien and becomes aware that it was a mistake from his part, because the French boat was actually heading to France and not to Haiti, Dessalines felt prideful and boasted (according to Price-Mars) for ordering the destruction of the civilian population of the east. The details of this are present in the previous pages of this thread in both Spanish and French! Price-Mars says it best, he hated the white French and he associated the Spanish population with the white French, his eternal enemies, and for that he wanted to show them the strength of this vengeance. Dessalines considered the entire population of the Spanish portion as white allied to the French (just as he considered any person of color that didn't join him as whites due to their sentiments) and the whites (real or by association) needed to be destroyed. Keep in mind that when Dessalines declares the independence of Haiti, in the constitution it clearly says that all the inhabitants of Haiti, regardless of their color, were to adopt and be referred to as blacks. A rejection of his rule was a rejection of Haiti's rule, and this, by consequence, was a rejection to be black (real or by association); that was his vision.

1822-1844: This is the Haitian Domination when the Spanish part was subjugated to the dictatorship of Jean Pierre Boyer. To see if the world considered this invasion as legitimate, all one has to do is notice the wording of the agreement between Boyer's government and France (a copy in French I posted in a previous page.) Also, the Spanish King contacted Boyer claiming that his invasion of the east was illegitimate and that he should return that property to the Spanish, who are the rightful owners. Boyer's rule a dictatorial despotism that in Haiti was associated with him but in the Spanish part it was associated with the Haitians. Boyer was hated island wide and this growing displeasure is what causes the oppressed Haitians to revolt against him in 1843 or very early 1844 and Boyer flees for Jamaica in an attempt to preserve his life because they associated Boyer's oppression with Boyer's government; while in February 1844 the oppressed population of the Spanish portion declares its separation from Haiti because they associated Boyer's oppression with the Haitians.

1844-1856: Haiti initiates the Dominican War of Independence (also known as the Dominican-Haitian War), which lasted 12 years; one of the longest wars of independence in America and possibly in the world. It was dragged out to so many years because Haiti didn't want to lose control of most of the island and the Haitian leaders had made the decision to ethnically clean the Spanish portion as well. This desire evident to the Dominican leaders (as is evident in the letters asking other countries for help -in the end no one helped-) and to the Dominican population that lived along the border region. For example, in 1845 took place one of the many failed invasion attempts, this time in Puerto Plata. The captured Haitian soldiers confessed to the Dominican army that they had orders to capture Puerto Plata by surprise at night, kill all males (adult and children) on the spot, kill the youngest females on the spot; tie the adult women by their hands in groups of two and conduct them to the Haitian boats to be taken to Cap Haitien, the teenage girls were to be taken by the Haitian soldiers to do as they pleased with them and to pillage the town as payment for their services in the Haitian invasion. Lastly, they were to also burn the entire town off the face of the earth. Haiti also sent a delegation to Europe that made the case against the recognition of the Dominican Republic by any other government.

1859: Haitian Emperor Faustin I pledges to invade the Dominicans once again, which would had extended to war of independence by 3 years. This didn't happen because Faustin suffered a military coup that removed him from power, but Faustin was determined to 'kill the eastern population as if they were hogs' and eliminate, once and for all, the obstacle the prevented island wide Haitian rule.

1870's: Haiti spreads rumors claiming that the Dominican population didn't want to be annexed by the United States, even though the Dominican population surely did. The reason the Dominican population wanted to be annexed to the United States are given in the U.S. Commission Report when they went all over the country writing down the opinion of the people. Time and again, the people said that they would prefer independence above all else, but since independence was not possible then they would prefer to be annexed to the United States. Independence was not possible because, as the American resident in the DR William Read said, eventually the Haitians would win. For many years before and after Haiti had supported with money and arms many rebels that disturbed the peace in the DR.

1899-1915/16: Haiti supports the Dominican rebels with money and arms (belgas-haitianas) which initiated basically a civil war with the rebels using what would later be called guerrilla warfare tactics.

1940-today: From about the 1940s (decade when Price-Mars influenced the Haitian intellectuals regarding the Dominicans and our desire to be separate from Haiti) Haitian intellectuals begin to entertain the idea that Dominican rejection of Haitian rule was rooted on racism while conveniently ignoring all the abuses the Haitians committed against the Dominican people. Price-Mars was the main figure in creating this belief, which later as the mulatto intellectuals left Haiti due to dictator Jean Claude Duvalier's racism against them, many of the Haitian intellectuals that held this idea took them abroad too and has influenced how some groups of foreigners view the Dominican Republic. To them, Dominican anti-Haitian sentiments is rooted in racism and not so much in the practically century long belligerence that has existed between the two countries, in essence the Haitians wanting to spread their rule to the east by acceptance or by force and the Dominicans wanting to limit Haitian rule to the original French part of the island (notice that Dominicans never intended to end Haiti's independence in complete contrast to the intentions of Haiti for the Dominicans.) Somehow we are suppose to also sweep under the rug the different political, social, and cultural origin of the Dominicans vis-a-vis Haiti's which is manifested in many ways, such as language, traditions, etc.

monfongoloco said:
But k-Mel, I don't get the name calling such as liar.
He has no argument other than quoting recent authors that he likes because they hold his vision. He rejects what the contemporaries of those times actually say because this is problematic for Haiti. It means accepting that Haiti was not legitimately recognized until practically half a century later and that everything that was done to the Dominicans in 1801, 1805, and 1822; on the belief that the island should be entirely Haitian, was illegitimate too. It means accepting what Samuel Hazard said in his 1871 book Santo Domingo Past and Present with a Glance at Hayti (sic):

"Yet, not satisfied with her (Haiti's) own position and the regulation and improvement of her own people and affairs, Hayti (sic) presumes to interfere with her neighbor, Dominica (sic), furnishing the disturbers of its peace with assistance..." (p. 436)

mofongoloco said:
While I am amazed this thread hasn't gotten closed, I hope it stays open a little longer.
This tangent of a debate arose from a misconception that was created by another DR1er in the initial pages, and later came K-Mel thinking he has a solid argument. That he completely disregard what the contemporaries of those times (many of whom were foreigners to the DR or the island, so there is no conflict of interest in their descriptions of the societies they witnessed) is a testament that how things were on the ground effectively challenges what K-Mel thinks.

mofongoloco said:
Is there some polemical battle between you two? I am too dense to figure out what agendas, if any, you are advancing.
Not from my part. K-Mel is well known for defending the Haitian cause in this forum.

With this, the off-topic is put to a rest in this thread. Any additional comments regarding the off-topic will be erased and, if need be, the violator(s) will be reprimented.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Articulo 18:
3) Las personas nacidas en territorio nacional, con excepci?n de los hijos e hijas de extranjeros miembros de legaciones diplom?ticas y consulares, de extranjeros que se hallen en transito o residan ilegalmente en territorio dominicano. Se considera persona en transito a toda extranjera o extranjero definido como tal en las leyes dominicanas.

3) The persons born in national territory, with exception of the sons and daughters of foreign members of diplomatic and consular legations, of foreigners who are situated in transit or reside illegally in Dominican territory. They are considered to be a person in traffic to every foreigner or foreigner defined as such in the Dominican laws.

Seems pretty clear to me.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
emasculations

Sorry, but I find it hard to believe that this was more common in the New World slavery than in the Old one, specially with the evidence thrown by genetic studies done in the MENA (Middle East/North Africa) region, when you have overabundance of African maternal haplogroups but barely any, if at all, paternal ones, which hints at the practice of emasculating slaves, specially those working on harems (specially in Yemen). On the New World, on the other hand, you have an abundant sample of both paternal and maternal haplogroups to choose from, which hints at the existence of spaces of normalcy of reproduction in some of those societies, even if they were at the fringes.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Published in June 2014 in Hoy newspaper and other Dominican papers based on an article published in Le Nouvelliste, Haiti’s most influential newspaper.

Le Nouvelliste Proposes Massive Emigration of Haitians

The massive and organized emigration of Haitians, to the tune from 50,000 to 200,000 per year, should be adopted by Haiti’s government as its migratory policy, with the purpose of maintaining our economy which survives from economic transfers.

That position was suggested by Le Nouvelliste newspaper, in last Thursday’s editorial titled “Leave Haiti to Disarm The Demographic Time Bomb.”

According to the arguments presented by the most important newspaper in the neighboring country, “to expel without risks many more Haitians, with secured destinations, Haitians that are well equipped to supply the labor necessities of the countries where they will migrate, should be part of our national policy.”

Le Nouvelliste propone salida masiva haitianos

If this policy is adopted by the Haitian government whether publicly or secretly, we can all be sure that these are the final years of the Dominican Republic as we know it.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Trinidad & Tobago was one of the main countries from the Lesser Antilles that incessantly criticized the Dominican Republic for the new migratory and regularization policies. The Prime Minister of Trinidad & Tobago even canceled a cultural celebration that was going to take place in honor of the Dominican Republic because of the ordeal.

Well, look what has popped up in the newspapers:

15740430786_9d824a9206_o.png

Trinidad & Tobago Will Expel 110,000 Illegal Immigrants
They will go house to house in search of undocumented foreigners

The government of Trinidad & Tobago, that last year was one of the main critics of the Dominican Republic’s Constitutional Tribunal’s sentence on the right to nationality, will expel from its territory approximately 110,000 illegal immigrants through a new migratory policy that includes “house to house” operations in search of undocumented foreigners. The immigrants have until January to regularize their status, according to the Trinidadian Minister of Security Gary Grifffith.

Jamaicans make up most of Trinidad & Tobago's illegal immigrants.

In the online edition it also says this: Anyone that fails to do this by January 2015 faces automatic deportation.

Trinidad y Tobago expulsar? a 110 mil inmigrantes ilegales - listindiario.com

:speechles

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Country cannot abide by Human Rights Court ruling: Former President

Washington.- Former President Leonel Fernandez on Thursday said Dominican Republic’s Constitution bans adherence to the ruling handed down by Inter-American Court of Human Rights (IACHR), which he affirm violates the country’s mechanism to grant nationality, local media report.

The regional court condemned the country three weeks ago for enacting its immigration policy, and ordered it to amend the Constitution in that regard. The Constitutional Court subsequently handed down a ruling in which disassociates the country from the IACHR’s jurisdiction.

In a speech at the Organization of American States (OAS) in Washington, the former president stressed that the Dominican Republic doesn’t grant national based on ’jus solis’ (nationality by birthplace) line in the United States. "The Dominican Republic is prohibited from accepting and adhering to the Court ruling."

"Therefore, Dominican nationality by the mere fact of being born in our land is not acquired," Fernandez said, adding that of the 194 UN member nations, only 30 accept ‘jus solis’ without conditions.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...by-Human-Rights-Court-ruling-Former-President

nispero

Nov 7, 2014
Article 5
Spaniards are...

1. All free men born and living in any of the domains of Spain, and their sons.

2. The foreigners that have received from the Royal Court a naturalization permit.

3. The foreigners without a naturalization permit that have lived for 10 years, according to the law, in any of the towns of the monarchy.

A nice set of rules! Could easily be adapted to every country. Why didn't we stick to these?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
A nice set of rules! Could easily be adapted to every country. Why didn't we stick to these?
In that era, the Spanish territory in America was the most populous and there was no threat of demographic absorption by either the British, French, or Portuguese neighbors. Also, migration in those times was mostly limited between European countries and their respective colonies with not much migration between colonies or even within the European countries themselves.

Things have changed and regulation must change with the times, not to mention that DR hasn't been a part of Spain for 149 years. And even in Spain who gains Spanish nationality upon birth is now different from how it was. Plenty of Dominicans born to Dominican parents in Spain had to accept their Dominican nationality because Spain denied them that. There's no anti-Spanish international campaign by Dominicans because Dominicans, in general, have no problem accepting their nationality even when born abroad.

K-Mel

Apr 15, 2012
Nals,

Mofongoloco is right, and I should have not used the word "liar", so my apologize for that.

However I must say that you have a disturbing way to interpret historical facts, and also a disturbing relationship with the truth (not from my part , I am not the only one who noticed that). Your school of thoughts regarding the Haitian/ Dominican history is definitely those of Balaguer, Pena Battle, America Lugo & co....

Last 95 % of my friends in la hispaniola are dominicans , never put a foot in Haiti. DR is not the solution to Haiti problems (as I said earlier) and should not be forced to handle that issue so If I were Dominican (nationalist or not) I would have pulled off this organisation too, however historical distortions/reinterpretations won't solved your issues with Haiti (more specifically, with the DR nationalists like the Balagueristas and Trujillistas).

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
I know that for a time in Haiti's history, when an anti-mulatto policy was enacted by the Haitian government that resulted in mass emigration of Haitian mixed race people (one of several mass emigrations that the Haitian government forced upon them), the Haitian constitution was changed to say that the son or daughter born abroad to Haitian parents is Haitian only if the child was black. Guess what happened to the children born abroad to mixed race Haitians?

FALSE, there has never been any such policy by any haitian government. The only reference to race is in an early constitution which declared all Haitians are designated as BLACK regardless of mixtures or actual race.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
2. When Haiti gains its independence from France, half of Haitians were born in Africa and most of the other half was only 2 or 3 generations born on the island. Over 80% of the population were slaves and, as such, were never French nationals. To make matters worse, the large presence of African-born people meant that there was a diversity of languages and culture among the blacks. This meant that the only thing the Haitians had in common at the moment of their liberation was their race, that's it. It should be of no surprise that race became the foundation of Haitian identity and, in fact, the only foreigners that could naturalize themselves as Haitians needed to be black as a first step. Haitian post-colonial history is nothing more than multiple massacres of blacks against mulattoes and back and forth color/racial bickering.

1. Slavery was abolished before Haiti became a free state. There were no more slaves.

2. The numbers of how many of the blacks were born in africa are just estimates.

3. There was NO diversity of language. Haitian Kreyol is wholly derived from old normand dialects.

4. Haiti's liberation was started and led by the creolized haitians of all shades.