Driving At Night

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Add that to deteriorating vision as you age

Agreeable as most foreign visitors tend to be at a more mature age. Other factors to consider, which I do, are.....
-poor road conditions
-poor lighting
-lack of emergency resources
-lack of emergency facilities
-weather patterns
-intoxicated operators
-irresponsible operators
Other factors may be added, but combine them with operating a vehicle under the cover of darkness, and the results are not favourable to any person, much less a foreigner. It is much safer to operate said vehicle during natural daylight hours, as most Dominicans choose to do.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
A sting would be smart, and at least make some sort of an example of the culprits for awhile. Stray animals are dangerous enough at night, it's really time for action against this nonsense once and for all.

The criminal aspect is just one part of the larger equation. I believe the other items to be higher risk factors for a vehicle operator driving at night. This is just one more unnecessary hazard.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
If they tried this crap with me we would not need a sting. A few more notches on my Glock would be added.

Lady Luck only dances with you so many times before she gets tired of the same ballad. Take the law into your own hands, and it may not always turn out in your favour.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
As a practice, I myself typically try to avoid night driving at all costs regardless of where I happen to be in the world.

My practice is to drive in Canada day and night and to never drive at any time in the rest of the world. Actually, driving in the US can be safe if you pick the right spots.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Years ago driving at night in the Bavaro/PC area was not a problem. There have been a few reports of the criminals trying to get you to stop but I believe the culprits involved were either run over or shot. Depends on which level of police you know that will talk.

The problem now is traffic. At night my guess is 70 to 80% of the drivers are drunk and the other 20 to 30% have no idea how to drive, even in the daylight. Besides who needs to go to over priced restaurants and bars with horrible service.

Sep 4, 2012
The stretch in question in Las Americas HWY from the airport exit to SDQ has no street lights at night and its very dark. Going the other way towards Boca Chica, the motorcycles , pedestrian and buses are insane until one goes beyond Boca Chica.

That is a bit extreme to say not drive at night in this whole Country.

We do it all the time for long distances often. It’s not for everyone but it is not THAT scary imo. The roads have drastically improved at night in the last 5.5 years I have lived here. More reflectors, lights, lines on road, less potholes etc...I also think less motos with no lights. I also love that the real drunks put their hazards on!!

You have to watch out for that same trick in other areas in the daytime or night.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The stretch in question in Las Americas HWY from the airport exit to SDQ has no street lights at night and its very dark. Going the other way towards Boca Chica, the motorcycles , pedestrian and buses are insane until one goes beyond Boca Chica.

…..and then you once again enter no street lights at night and it's very dark.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

We do it all the time for long distances often. It’s not for everyone but it is not THAT scary imo. The roads have drastically improved at night in the last 5.5 years I have lived here. More reflectors, lights, lines on road, less potholes etc...I also think less motos with no lights. I also love that the real drunks put their hazards on!!

You have to watch out for that same trick in other areas in the daytime or night.

It is not extreme. It is reality. It is not advisable for foreigners to do what even Dominicans themselves will not do.....in regards to night time operation of a vehicle.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Most accidents happen at night, and most of them involve alcohol.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I drive here at night all of the time... But I avoid the capital like the plague.

Why come to paradise only to travel to hell?
if you have to come to the capital the best day to come is sunday no traffic.... than get the hell out ...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
maybe this would be the right time for a sting operation, and to kill a few of these fools. bad news travels fast. their friends might turn to a different occupation.

Exactly. If everyone knows there is a problem than it should be fairly simple to solve it. Perhaps putting up cameras would also be a deterrent to those who want to commit crimes.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
The level of.....incompetence (that's a polite word) driving int he DR is off the charts. Driving at night just multiplies it by 10.

Pretty sure I've told this story, but one night between Cab and Sosua I see some very dim blinking lites high up in the trees, futher ahead.
Start slowing down not knowing what it was, and I come up on a stalled box truck in my lane, no lights or reflectors and one of those new Safety Police trucks (mooppssa or something like that). The "Safety" guy had all his lights flashing, but he was parked in front of the box truck! Idiot.

If I hadn't been paying attention, I would have slammed into the back of the box truck at 60.

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
Night driving here is tiring but not something I'm terribly afraid of. I have driven almost every area of the country at night and multiple times. One day I took off from the Capital at around 6pm and drove to a place close to Pedernales called Juancho to pick up some items we needed in Punta Cana, then drove straight through to Punta Cana, dropped off the items and then back to the Capital arriving around 2:30am. No problems other then the normal bright lights in the eyes, cars and motos with no tail lights and people running out in the middle of the street. Typical day of driving in the DR. I love this place!!!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Night driving here is tiring but not something I'm terribly afraid of. I have driven almost every area of the country at night and multiple times. One day I took off from the Capital at around 6pm and drove to a place close to Pedernales called Juancho to pick up some items we needed in Punta Cana, then drove straight through to Punta Cana, dropped off the items and then back to the Capital arriving around 2:30am. No problems other then the normal bright lights in the eyes, cars and motos with no tail lights and people running out in the middle of the street. Typical day of driving in the DR. I love this place!!!!

I think it depends a lot upon what area you’re in. Some places are notorious for the rock scheme. We had that happen to us returning from Samana through Sanchez - in the middle of the afternoon.

We live west of San Cristobal and spend a lot of time in Southwest DR. Never an issue, but that could change tomorrow

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
AE, that's the point. Driving is a risk. Driving at night a greater risk. As long as the driver accepts the premise, it doesn't matter how many times they have gone from A to B, one of these times, they will not make it without incident. The likelihood of an incident is greater at night but not exclusive to the darkness. If you play the lottery everyday forever, you will eventually be a winner it's just that no one can say when that will be, sooner or later.