Driving from Santiago airport to Las Terrenas ...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Leaped before you looked , I think you meant..........

several here suggest a nice cabana near the airport.... they double as motels sometimes

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I'll admit it; I looked before I leaped. A very temporary price drop in fares to STI compelled me to buy tickets quickly -- and I got a great deal that disappeared in less than an hour! But no doubt driving out of Santo Domingo would have been preferred. All of this information is terrific, thanks. Still pondering the best location to hunker down near the airport until dawn, though ... Suggestions?

A suggestion, from somebody who has driven the route several times and more than 20 times each way from San Francisco to LT including recently. It is a 4 hour journey at best and a slog of a journey if you are not familiar with DR driving.

Forget hiring vehicles in Santiago and hire in LT. Arrange through a hire company in LT to provide a mini bus and meet you at STI on arrival and return you on departure date. Cheaper than a hotel stay for 9 in Santiago and you won't lose a day of your vacation. And you won't get lost on what is a difficult excursion for the uninitiated in the art of driving in DR.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
A suggestion, from somebody who has driven the route several times and more than 20 times each way from San Francisco to LT including recently. It is a 4 hour journey at best and a slog of a journey if you are not familiar with DR driving.

Forget hiring vehicles in Santiago and hire in LT. Arrange through a hire company in LT to provide a mini bus and meet you at STI on arrival and return you on departure date. Cheaper than a hotel stay for 9 in Santiago and you won't lose a day of your vacation. And you won't get lost on what is a difficult excursion for the uninitiated in the art of driving in DR.

This!

I can supply a telephone number for a transport service out of Puerto Plata that would do this, PM me if interested.

Jeremy Olson

Sep 12, 2015
Thanks La Profe, I will at least consider that idea. Heck, I've got six months to get this right! Please do send the number for the transport service and I will check it out. How exactly am I safer, though, with a transport service driving me at night compared to driving on my own? If the risk is reckless other drivers, then that isn't going to diminish. But its definitely an option I should explore further -- as long as I can find a rental in LT big enough for 9 people. Much appreciated ...

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Thanks La Profe, I will at least consider that idea. Heck, I've got six months to get this right! Please do send the number for the transport service and I will check it out. How exactly am I safer, though, with a transport service driving me at night compared to driving on my own? If the risk is reckless other drivers, then that isn't going to diminish. But its definitely an option I should explore further -- as long as I can find a rental in LT big enough for 9 people. Much appreciated ...

You're not any *safer* per se. The advantage you will have is someone who knows the route.

Jan 9, 2004

Transport drivers are way more familiar with the road skills necessary to avoid potential problems at night.......however;

If you are prepared to drive on unlit roads with oncoming vehicles using full time high beams and lots of other cars and motorcycles not having any lights at all.....all the while disregarding every known precaution to man......then go for it.

If you are prepared for little signage and speak fluent Spanish....then go for it.

If you are prepared for the eventuality of a police roadblock.....and they are not acting under color of law.....then go for it.

If you are prepared for a pop up huelga/strike and what not to do if you find yourself in one....then go for it.

And there is more.....but I think/hope you get the picture.

As has been stated by other posters, stay in Santiago for the night and find a transport service to take you to your final destination.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This thread has brought up a lot of good ideas.

Now that all the good people have had their say, let me add my 2 cents...

The BEST suggestion is to get the LT (or POP) transfer people to pick you up at the airport in STI upon arrival.
It will cost less than housing 9 persons at any of the better hotels: Gran Almirante, the old Marriott, or the Hotel Jardines.
You DO NOT want to drive here upon arrival. It's not that you can't drive, it is more like what Playacaribe2 has just said.
And that is the tip of the iceberg.

For me, the is the very best option.

Everything else implies you driving upon arrival. This is a place where "Leave the driving to them" is the RULE...especially for visitors.

You just don't need the hassle.

Park your driving pride (I can drive on the frozen roads of MN at 15 below zero, I can drive anywhere) at home and relax.

If your flight gets in in the late afternoon (if it is on time) you will need at least another hour to get out of Customs and Immigration.

I forgot my friends at Jimenez.....I will call them and get you a price for you and your crew to LT...and let you know. You can deal with them yourself, they speak English.

Minibuses will not hold 9 gringos (from MN==the land of Paul Bunyon) and their luggage...they need one with a little
wagon to carry luggage..

Relax...we will get you to your destination safely and await your report.

Cordially,

HB

Here is a baseline price for you: RD$9000 (currently US$200) to Las Terrenas from the airport. Patricio Jimenez 809 710 3357.
They have helped me with other groups over the years...La Profe I knows them...

Last edited:
May 29, 2006
If I were in your situation, I'd take everyone to Cabarete for the night where you can be ON THE OCEAN by just after dark, then arrange for a van to take you the rest of the way bright and early next morning or after a nice breakfast. Then, after you see that LT is two kilos of whatever in a one kilo bag, you'll have a good idea of where to stay in Cabarete.

Jeremy Olson

Sep 12, 2015
Well now there's a twist, PeterInBrat. We're planning to go to a beautiful house in LT that is walking distance from the beaches. The Samana peninsula in general offers a lot for my group of travelers. However, I have looked at many homes in Cabarete and Sosua, and that region is enticing as well. Why are you so down on LT as opposed to Cabarete? Don't think it will change my plans, but I would love to hear more of your thoughts. I am enjoying this forum and appreciating all the feedback! Despite the topic of transportation logistics and death-defying roads, I'm getting pumped up for the trip ...

Definitely hire a minivan to pick you up and take you to LT! Too many things you have no idea about that can happen especially at night.

My wife killed a horse and our car on the highway last week driving at night. We drive a lot a night so I am not surprised that happened, you have to look out for everything!! Same night a guy hit a cow 10 min away , luckily he is ok too!

Cabarete has a lot of younger people, what is your age group Jeremy?

Jeremy Olson

Sep 12, 2015
It is a family trip. Nine people, five of whom are 16 to 11. So we don't really need a "scene," just a terrific beach, a place with a pool and access to good snorkeling. Day trips as well (aka zip lining or whale watching, etc.) are desirable, so we will need a car whether we get one at the airport or at our vacation spot. I'm still inclined to take the advice of several on this post and just put up for the night near the airport and drive out early in the morning. We won't lose any beach time that way if we start at the crack of dawn, I wouldn't think ...

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
After a long day of airports and flying this is your best option to start out fresh in the a.m.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
But either way he should not drive day or night on the in and out legs from/to STI, and leave that to someone who knows the roads.

https://www.google.com.do/maps/@19.2855824,-70.2535682,4659m/data=!3m1!1e3

You think a GPS will get you through San Francisco de Macoris, the third largest city, or the rest of the journey that can be seen if you zoom out on 'google earth'? Driving for at least 4 hours...probably 4 1/2 with hotel stay, through the Cibao with some of the least well maintained roads in the country through lots of small towns for the uninitiated is an absolute 'no no' imo.

Most likely two vehicles too if hiring.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
It is a family trip. Nine people, five of whom are 16 to 11..............

Jeremy Olson, once you get to 10 posts you will be able to send PM (private messages). Send Hillbilly a PM and he will set you up. HB is one of the most respected posters on this board.

Please, please, please don't drive at night to LT. Matter of fact once you get to LT you would probably be better off using a driver to take you on day trips................ Less stress ............. better vacation

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Definitely hire a minivan to pick you up and take you to LT! Too many things you have no idea about that can happen especially at night.

My wife killed a horse and our car on the highway last week driving at night. We drive a lot a night so I am not surprised that happened, you have to look out for everything!! Same night a guy hit a cow 10 min away , luckily he is ok too!

Cabarete has a lot of younger people, what is your age group Jeremy?
The bright side, I think the law says you can eat the horse.

Jeremy Olson

Sep 12, 2015
I'm sure Google maps is just using a basic distance algorithm -- it doesn't necessarily know the lay of the land or the condition of the roads -- but it first recommends the option that Matilda has provided. And it says the trip takes about 2 hours 50 minutes, though I'm gathering from a variety of comments here that I should assume another hour of travel.

But Google maps offers as an alternative a route that goes southeast on route 1 around La Vega and then takes route 23 eastward all the way to the route 7 tollway, which you then take north to Samana. And it'd only take 30 minutes longer. If San Francisco de Macoris is as impassible as ju10prd suggests, then is route 23 a reasonable alternative for making this drive from Santiago to Las Terrenas? Just curious. Not a huge need for a reply; I'm partly just pumping up my comments to 10+ so I can direct message people on this forum about potential shuttle services.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Here's a calculation for you...

From Sosua.... about 2-2.5 hrs to LT
very easy driving...... lots of vistas, places to stop/eat....

Get a time from STI to Sosua nad you have a number

This trip you can do by yourself... self explanatory.