Driving from Santiago airport to Las Terrenas ...

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Last time I took 23 we went via 132 and up. Had two flat tires and ran into Ladrones while fixing the first flat. We were three large males so they took off. Anyway 23 to the toll road is longer.
Take the route Matilda gave you, it's the best option. Or better yet use a transport company.

May 29, 2006
Well now there's a twist, PeterInBrat. Why are you so down on LT as opposed to Cabarete? Don't think it will change my plans, but I would love to hear more of your thoughts.

My only exp is when I went through LT on my way to Cabarete from SD a couple weeks back because I wanted to see more of the country. Just got a bad vibe from the piling up of ex-pat businesses and no sense of being in the DR anymore. I got let off there by an express bus and couldn't get out fast enough. I was hoping I'd like it, but I just didn't get it. A town that size and there are traffic jams even in off season~no thanks. If I were looking at the north coast for buying, I'd prob start with Nagua because it has yet to be taken over by the expat market. Cabrera is suppose to be a good spot for expats as well, but already the prices are going up fast.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I'm sure Google maps is just using a basic distance algorithm -- it doesn't necessarily know the lay of the land or the condition of the roads -- but it first recommends the option that Matilda has provided. And it says the trip takes about 2 hours 50 minutes, though I'm gathering from a variety of comments here that I should assume another hour of travel.

But Google maps offers as an alternative a route that goes southeast on route 1 around La Vega and then takes route 23 eastward all the way to the route 7 tollway, which you then take north to Samana. And it'd only take 30 minutes longer. If San Francisco de Macoris is as impassible as ju10prd suggests, then is route 23 a reasonable alternative for making this drive from Santiago to Las Terrenas? Just curious. Not a huge need for a reply; I'm partly just pumping up my comments to 10+ so I can direct message people on this forum about potential shuttle services.

To Santiago from LT is 4 to 4.5 hours without stops using the obvious route via SFM as Matilda stated.

SFM is no different to other Dominican towns and cities in the Cibao where you will rarely find any signposts. My first trip through SFM involved me asking in Spanish twice the route out to Autopiste Duarte. Just doubt if a GPS will be much use.

Forget route 23 which takes you to Cotui and the road beyond was unpaved for part of the way to Sabana de Grand Boya. Absolute no no.

Matilda's route is by far the best option and that is from someone who has criss-crossed the Cibao many times through many towns.

Your only other options are to head all the way to Santo Domingo from airport and overnight there and you then have a much easier 2 hour plus journey to LT using toll road 7. (Santo Domingo driving is not a favorite of many posting here) but if you are used to driving in developing countries it's ok.

And to head north to Puerto Plata and nearby to overnight by-passing Santiago and a have a 2.5 to 3 hour journey the following day which is OK.

Minibus transfer with other driver is best option for sure if you don't want to get your vacation off to a bad start and lose leisure time.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Jeremy.......have you considered asking the cost to change flights to Santo Domingo?

You chose Santiago which is equal furthest time wise of 7 international airports in DR from Las Terrenas and has the worst journey. Hotels will cost extra and loss of beach time has a value.

We are all trying to help you and no amount of on line route finding will change the reality on the ground here.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Jeremy,
you're getting good advice here but the back road routes (you'll consider them back roads) you're getting can pose problems.

look at Rte #5.... along the north coast..... more navigable, better quality, easier to find help if you need it.

Trust me....you'll be happier/safer

Jeremy Olson

Sep 12, 2015
Thanks ju10prd. Please don't misinterpret my follow-up questions as ignoring all the advice! This is very helpful. Naturally a switch to Santo Domingo occurred to me, but the complicated process of getting reservations for my extended family -- right at the time of a one-hour price drop on fares -- resulted in four separate reservations for my group of 9. (Don't ask!) So I'm fairly certain we will get nailed with a change fee for EACH of the four reservations, making that a costly last resort option. I really don't mind an extra hour or two of drive time coming out of Santiago rather than Santo Domingo -- as long as I choose a path (or in lieu of that, a good car service) that is as smart and safe as possible ...

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Jeremy, the transfer service I gave in post #27 (samana premium service)is giving a flat transfer rate both ways of $440 for 1 to 4 people as I read it in comfort with drinks. You may get cheaper because a taxi would cost about $200 one way and the rates are the official ones posted on the boards at airports. Solves all your problems whether you travel after your flight arrives or next day.

You clearly are used to being able to hire a car at airport and go. Nice idea but not so nice in DR because of the roads, the driving, the choice of vehicles and the insurances. I won't go into it here but the basic rate of the hire will more than double when you add all the insurances including the one which puts you up in a special hotel instead of jail in the event of accident. And then there are the bonds that must be available in the event of an accident involving a foreigner. Check out the car hire threads.

I think it was bigbird who advised against car hire full stop for your vacation and suggested hiring when you visit the likes of the falls at Limon or the whales etc. He is on the mark with this.

In LT you can hire quads easily to get you about and that might be more fun.

Where is your villa? As someone who lived in LT for 18 months up to the beginning of this year I can tell you what you need for shopping restaurants etc.

Jeremy Olson

Sep 12, 2015
Thanks. A transfer service with a capacity of up to four passengers doesn't work well for a group of 9. It'd be a waste to hire three separate cars, that's for sure! Just as well to pay the airline change fee then to fly into SD ... We're staying in the area of the Bellenas beach.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Thanks. A transfer service with a capacity of up to four passengers doesn't work well for a group of 9. It'd be a waste to hire three separate cars, that's for sure! Just as well to pay the airline change fee then to fly into SD ... We're staying in the area of the Bellenas beach.

14 seaters are available with wi fi

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Thanks everybody. This is outstanding information. I've boxed myself in with flight reservations, so its Santiago or bust if we're going to go to Las Terrenas. The flight touches down at 5:50 p.m., and with sunset at 7 p.m. at best we'll have 30 minutes of "adequate" driving. So I think I need to heed all of your advice and pull up somewhere for the evening, and then start out for LT early the next morning. However, I'd prefer not to turn inward to the city and deal with traffic. Are there any good intermediate stops en route toward LT? Hotels in Moca or San Francisco de Macoris that you'd recommend? I even see some attractive villas in the hills near La Vega that wouldn't take me too far off the recommended paths. Bottom line: I've bought off on the "adventure" already, so now I just need to look for ways to make the road trip part of this vacation fun rather than a nightmare ...

I can not stress too strongly the advice that you have already received about driving at night. I have lived here for 9 years and know the country very well. I have been forced a few times to drive a few of those roads at night but will do everything I can to avoid it. Have a great trip. Be Safe!

Last edited:

Jeremy Olson

Sep 12, 2015
So wait, you're telling me I shouldn't drive at night? ... Kidding. Humor, arr, arr ... What I'm still not clear on is whether people think my group would be safe with a car service driving us at night? Or whether any driving at night -- regardless of whether a local expert or Minnesota novice is behind the wheel -- is a bad idea? ... If the latter is true, then I'm looking at an overnight in the Santiago region one way or another.

And that gets me to 10 posts, so I'll message those of you who encouraged me to contact you directly and check into your transportation options. Thanks.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Car service at night is a safer option..... should we be using another language for you...... arr arr

Novice from Minn should not be driving.......
sleazy Dominicano should be...can slip out of trouble easier.

Congratulations on 10 posts...... go directly to Off Topic.... do not pass Robert/AE

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Sunset will be about 6.45pm local time in March which means it gets dark after 7pm.

The first 40 or so kms of your journey is on dual carriageway highway #1 and can be driven at any time......I have transferred to near the capital by car late at night several times.

The next 30 to SFM is a decent road and negotiating SFM with a driver will be easy.

Assuming you get this far by dusk, choose to go straight to Nagua on highway #132 for the next 70km and do not turn at El Abanico. It is a wide single carriageway road and more dangerous at daytime because of the commercial vans and trucks overtaking. At night you get far less overtaking. For a good chauffeur, this should not be a challenge.

Nagua to LT and using the toll road is straightforward day or night imo having done it several times.

My earlier 4 hours was factoring in the Sanchez to LT road and toll road and to central Santiago. So with chauffer....

STI to turn at El Pino........40 minutes
El Pino to SFM ................20 minutes
SFM...............................10 minutes
SFM to Nagua..................75 minutes
Nagua....El Catey..............25 minutes
El Catey ........LT...............20 minutes
to villa............................. 10 minutes

3 hours 20 minutes non stop

If you depart STI at 5pm you are good with chauffer no problem......and will be dining at Pueblo de Pescadores at 9pm after freshening up.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Jeremy, no disrespect intended. You are now well on your way to graduating like so many others before you into the class for dunces.

You posted a simple question looking for advice. We gave you the advice you sought. You didn't really like that advice and now you are seeking a way to convince yourself that you really don't need to heed that advice anyways because you are pretty sure you know better.

Well, sir you don't. You can't possibly understand the perils you face driving here until you have done it for a good long time. Very few of us drive here after dark unless we absolutely have to and there is a good reason for this. One responder has already told you how his wife was just released from hospital a week ago after hitting a horse on the road at night. Have you ever hit a large animal on the road at speed? Probably not. We have told you that the roads are not great. We have told you it will take you considerably longer to get where you are going than google maps suggests. We have told you that it is just not safe and not a very good idea for you to attempt what you are contemplating.

You picked the worst possible airport to arrive at. You seem hell bent on packing your party into a convey shepherded by two drivers (9 people and luggage isn't going to fit on one rental car) who haven't the foggiest idea how to survive on the roads here. I was on a very well known road where I lived for the first earlier this week and was extremely surprised to find that the pavement ended 5 miles from where I turned onto this road and it continued unpaved, ungravelled, rutted with boulders sticking up in the middle of it for another 60 miles. Do not assume that any road you see snaking through the back country here is paved or even navigable with a non 4X4 vehicle. Even with such a vehicle, it's a big assumption to make that you can actually get from here to there on anything but a "highway".

I hate to say it but I think I may need to be blunt at this point. If you continue to stack the odds against yourself by blindly forging head without sufficient knowledge and experience to do so, you may end up killing yourself and some or all your friends. You could drive off the side of a cliff because there are no guard rails here, you could get creamed by a truck with no brakes coming around a corner on a narrow road, you could be ambushed, robbed and shot on a deserted road that the locals know not to use but google does not. You could find yourself broken down in the middle of nowhere at the mercy of locals who may not have your best interests in mind. You may be extorted by the police. You have no idea what you are getting yourself into, we do and we have told you. We can't make you listen and yes, we have seen many people stop by DR1 and ask for advice and then completely ignore that advice. In some cases, the "we told you so" was painful.

If you are going to do what you seem to be set to do, then please please change the X's below to your Mom's phone number, print it out and tape it to the dashboard of your car when you get here.

Soy est?pido. Me dijeron que esto no era una buena idea. En caso de que no estoy en condiciones, por favor llamar a mi madre.
XXX-XXX-XXXX

Good luck.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Buster Blowhard

CONGRATULATIONS

Your posts are much more concise..... and a pleasure to read..

Don't stop, Shakespeare..........
another ode, if you will....................

your o'bient agent...........

Last edited:

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Cdn-Gringo
You need to read...............
He is taking the advice. He now has 10 posts so that he can PM members to get info on hiring a van.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Maybe we are all overthinking this.....

What about a bus...?

Nice trip.... no stress & cheap.

Or for the ricos.. a helicopter
no stress. not cheap........... better trip

Two extremes.........

Jeremy Olson

Sep 12, 2015
Gringo, your post was disrespectful, but I appreciate the sentiment. If I assume positive intent, then you are just trying to encourage me to avoid a mistake. Thank you for your concern. There's been a ton of advice and good will provided to me already. None of it has been ignored!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Gringo, your post was disrespectful, but I appreciate the sentiment. If I assume positive intent, then you are just trying to encourage me to avoid a mistake. Thank you for your concern. There's been a ton of advice and good will provided to me already. None of it has been ignored!

Great attitude Jeremy, you'll do fine. Be sure to come back and post about what you ended up doing to get to LT, and a trip report after you go home.