Driving from Santiago airport to Las Terrenas ...

Jan 9, 2004
So wait, you're telling me I shouldn't drive at night? ... Kidding. Humor, arr, arr ... What I'm still not clear on is whether people think my group would be safe with a car service driving us at night? Or whether any driving at night -- regardless of whether a local expert or Minnesota novice is behind the wheel -- is a bad idea? ... If the latter is true, then I'm looking at an overnight in the Santiago region one way or another.

Here are the distinctions:

Renting a van and driving yourself at night in the DR.......very very very bad idea....for all the reasons posted;

Renting a van with driver and driving at night in the DR......very bad idea......for all the reasons posted;

Staying the night in/near Santiago and renting a van with driver to leave early AM.....much better idea.

And that gets me to 10 posts, so I'll message those of you who encouraged me to contact you directly and check into your transportation options. Thanks.

Lots of helpful information and people here.....if you care to ask and take the time to listen.

You have a lot of time to prepare for your upcoming trip and you have found a great resource in the board and the experience of the many posters who have taken the time to reply.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
http://aeropuertocibao.com.do/AIC/es/info.php?option=taxi

Jeremy for your information, the taxi tariffs from STI. Approximately US220 is the official price for a party of 7 plus to LT. That is your guideline for travel each way for your party which I assume will be the following day (missed your arrival time in my earlier post).

For your information there is a taxi stand just before Hotel Aleisi on Playa Las Balinas and they have all their excursion prices posted. In DR you must agree your fee prior to getting in a taxi.

Reality is that taxis will probably prove cheaper for all your vacation needs than two hire SUV's by the time you add in all the insurances you should take out plus fuel at about $4 a gallon. For your information, renting of quads in LT is easy and available everywhere you look at about $30 a day. There are some decent and fairly priced hire companies there too if you decide you want a vehicle for a few days to explore from LT.

An after thought and I hope it does not affect you:

You said you were coming in March next year..........in DR perhaps the main annual holiday is Santa Semana and the place goes crazy for the week upto Easter Sunday. LT is mad that week.....it's ram packed and noisy. March 19th to 28th.

Jan 9, 2004
ju10prd;1618534 An after thought and I hope it does not affect you: You said you were coming in March next year..........in DR perhaps the main annual holiday is Santa Semana and the place goes crazy for the week[U said:
upto[/U] Easter Sunday. LT is mad that week.....it's ram packed and noisy. March 19th to 28th.

Good point....and one I overlooked since Semana Santa is more often than not in April.

All the more reason NOT to drive if the OP is coming for that week......as given the propensity of the people to consume large amounts of alcohol during that week...and then drive....greatly enhances one chances of becoming a statistic.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jeremy Olson

Sep 12, 2015
We arrive after Semana Santa. I had checked on that, at least! So unless there is a hangover effect into the following week, that shouldn't be an issue ...

Dude I love driving in crazy places but to do that drive with your family in a quick time and not wanting to lose beach time is not going to happen.
How long are you staying here? 2 weeks sure take your fam on a wild drive but seriously if I had kids I would hire a driver it is not worth what could happen here at all!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
WOW! Some rather harsh reality statements, but from my almighty position as an Elder of DR!, I can say that nothing so far has been really untrue.

A couple of things I would like to point out:
1) That advice to cross the Duarte Highway and go to El Pino, there in La Vega, is probably the worst possible thing to tell a newbie. Over 200 people have died there over the last ten years. Almost every week something happens on at that intersection, where there are no signs and oncoming traffic is at way over 70 mph..usually.
The proper thing to do is continue along the road ans take the well marked overpass to SFM.
2) The advice to go to Santo Domingo and take the toll road? Almost as bad. Poorly designed, with lots of loose animals, it has been the scene of deadly accidents almost every month since it opened.. Again not a route to be used by a newbie.

The idea to rest, is not bad. That is a long trip, and while the beach and pool are beckoning, they won't be going anywhere.
If cost is a major problem (9 people? At least four rooms at anywhere decent will be between $50 to $100 a night? In decent places? No motels or the Colonial) than let me be clear about this> Nobody can beat the people I have suggested several pages ago. Especially nobody from the airport.
then the solution is to leave the driving to them, they know the roads, and have the equipment to make the transfer as pleasurable as possible.

If it's not, then sleep there at the former Marriott (just 5 minutes from the airport), take a dip in the morning and be on your way, with that same transfer service..you can take any route you choose, but let them drive.

The suggestion to go north (perhaps over the Jamao road) and then follow the coastal road (not highway!) is not bad at all...the views are fantastic.
And there are lost of places to stop for refreshments..ie: cold beers..

Keep digging...you are getting good feedback (well, mostly)...

HB, up early to watch over my flock)

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
After reading the Op's thorough education, I would like some advice on doing Cabarete to Las Terrenas in a local bus or gua gua......

Can I catch a single bus/gua gua from Cabarete to Las Terrenas or are transfers (to other transportation) required?
Which bus/gua gua(s) do I need to catch?

I am looking for a direct option from Cabarete if possible (not a taxi)......Your advice is greatly appreciated.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I would opine that you'll have to change in Nagua and Sanchez to get to LT. And maybe in RSJ as well.

After reading the Op's thorough education, I would like some advice on doing Cabarete to Las Terrenas in a local bus or gua gua......

Can I catch a single bus/gua gua from Cabarete to Las Terrenas or are transfers (to other transportation) required?
Which bus/gua gua(s) do I need to catch?

I am looking for a direct option from Cabarete if possible (not a taxi)......Your advice is greatly appreciated.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
A much better idea would be idea would be to hire a driver or even two to take you to Las Terrenas. It will not be cheap but a lot safer. Driving in the DR at night is difficult. There are people on motor bikes with no lights, people walking along the road, animals in the road. I'm assuming you have a GPS for the DR. That would be a big plus. If you have this and take your time you will make it. Be sure to fill your car up with gas as soon as you can. Get pesos at an ATM at the airport and use this to pay for gas. Watch the person that fills up your car to be sure he is not trying to scam you. Remember that gas in around $5usd per gallon so it may cost you rds2500 pesos to fill up. You may also want to go on line and print a map of the DR so you have an idea of where you are and where you are going. The road from Sanitago to Las Terrenas are generally good but it is kind of a covoreted route to get there. When you pass El Catey Airport on Rt 5 take the toll road to Las Terrenas. It is rd500-600 pesos but a much faster and better road at night. The other option is going past Sanchez and over the mountain road which has many switchbacks and drop offs. Good luck. Be sure to give the property manager the approximate time of arrival at your rental. At the rental be sure not to leave valuable out. If you have a safe lock them up. Have fun.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There is also Transportes Las Terenas which stops in Cabarete daily

This is the better option.... you will change guaguas 2 or 3 times... irregular schedules.

There are a couple of Samana/LT direct companies...about 2.5 hrs is my guess... no more than 3 for the non-stop route

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
My only exp is when I went through LT on my way to Cabarete from SD a couple weeks back because I wanted to see more of the country. Just got a bad vibe from the piling up of ex-pat businesses and no sense of being in the DR anymore. I got let off there by an express bus and couldn't get out fast enough. I was hoping I'd like it, but I just didn't get it. A town that size and there are traffic jams even in off season~no thanks. If I were looking at the north coast for buying, I'd prob start with Nagua because it has yet to be taken over by the expat market. Cabrera is suppose to be a good spot for expats as well, but already the prices are going up fast.

I guess it all depends what your priorties are. The best thing about LT is that there are services and businesses you can't find in other parts of the DR. Great beaches, restaurants and merchandise available along with a blending of ex-pat and local stores. Yes it is a busy place. It is a tourist destination for both those from SD and NA and Europe. There is nothing wrong with Nagua but I don't think you would find many retirees interested in living there.

Jeremy Olson

Sep 12, 2015
Closing the loop on this thread, I wanted to thank everyone again for the driving and travel advice. When my air carrier changed the arrival time of one of my flights, I jumped at the chance to request a change to my itinerary. The result was that my family landed in Santo Domingo at 1 p.m. instead of Santiago at 5 p.m. We rented a 12-passenger van and it was a breeze taking the toll roads in the daylight from there to Las Terrenas. Still, all of your driving tips were helpful. Twice we crisscrossed from LT to Samana on Route 133 for activities, and I often was driving into LT from our rented house for groceries. I was well-prepared for the occasional missing manhole covers, the aggressive motoconchos and the free-flowing traffic thanks to your information ...

Not to say there weren't a couple hair-raising moments! One time I wasn't sure our van would make it up a pass given that it was loaded with 9 people and luggage. And I almost didn't see my first missing manhole cover (in my opinion covering it with branches doesn't really help)! A freight truck in LT also didn't budge or slow down at all and forced me to divert onto a busy sidewalk to avoid a collision. But it was all part of the adventure and a fun vacation for my family.