Drought and water use

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Going down the threads from start this time.. No offense dv8, but this attitude is what will do us in. Won't run out in my lifetime, don't know how old you are but maybe your children's children. Mine for sure. So many ways to save water, but "It's no big deal".. Plenty to go around. Buy a truck load and I'm good.

yawn. read again what i said: "so don't bug me about my attitude because i use water, not waste it". again: i don't waste water. and i don't have kids nor i ever will. so what your offspring will inherit is your business not mine.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
My father-in-law NEVER throws any trash into the street!!!!
He just throws it on the floor in the house!!!!..........

OH, then it must be some of his nieces who visit my apartment in Gazcue. Absolutely amazing how some grown folks behave.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I remember watching Oprah years ago, after she had returned from Africa where they were experiencing a water shortage. It changed her into a water conservationist, she did a whole show on how not to waste water. One thing that stuck with me was to turn off the faucet when brushing your teeth, which I've done ever since.

When the water comes on where we live in DR, everyone runs to use it. It used to bug me when we'd drive down the road and see almost every woman out there with a hose watering the road - since it's now paved I don't see it as often, but old habits die hard, and some still do it. No one pays for it there.

We have a well, so we don't use 'city' water, but we also don't waste it. Even a well can run dry.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Furthermore, a lot of my male friends run the water while shaving..

Teeth and shaving add up to several minutes......... easy way to cut back.

In Cabrera, my water calls for me to use an impeller to pump the water.
Double whammy - water and electric ..... my well and my batteries.

I am very careful with both.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't run water when i brush my teeth. i don't even run water when i wash my hair or shower: i wet hair/body,close the water, shampoo/soap and then wash it off. i do full loads of laundry so that the machine is used to its capacity. i water the garden sparingly. i don't wash the dishes under running tap. i try to educate our maid to do the same but it's a waste of breath. she will do what i say when i look and as soon as i turn around she's back to her regular habits.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
I remember watching Oprah years ago, after she had returned from Africa where they were experiencing a water shortage. It changed her into a water conservationist, she did a whole show on how not to waste water. One thing that stuck with me was to turn off the faucet when brushing your teeth, which I've done ever since.

When the water comes on where we live in DR, everyone runs to use it. It used to bug me when we'd drive down the road and see almost every woman out there with a hose watering the road - since it's now paved I don't see it as often, but old habits die hard, and some still do it. No one pays for it there.

We have a well, so we don't use 'city' water, but we also don't waste it. Even a well can run dry.

A conservationist? Really with her fountains in front of her mansion and 17 washrooms. I am sorry but anyone with mansions and private jets can not claim to be a conservationist. If I had the money I would have the jets and house too. I just would not claim to be Mr. environmet.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
everyday when I turn on a tap I consciously think of the ease my life enjoys. Abundant clean fresh water at the finger tip. Hot or cold. It is a miracle. A man made miracle.

Every time I use a piece of Saran Wrap (not often, a roll lasts years) I think of the millions of lives that have been saved and improved by this one invention. Plastic wrap so flies don't poop on food. Miracle. A man made miracle.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
sure, but if she will influence milions of people with eco thinking I consider this as job done...
A conservationist? Really with her fountains in front of her mansion and 17 washrooms. I am sorry but anyone with mansions and private jets can not claim to be a conservationist. If I had the money I would have the jets and house too. I just would not claim to be Mr. environmet.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
come to Canada

turning on the cold tap at this time year..... it spits out ice cubes

the ground water is soooo cold............. need mucho agua caliente !!!

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
yawn. read again what i said: "so don't bug me about my attitude because i use water, not waste it". again: i don't waste water. and i don't have kids nor i ever will. so what your offspring will inherit is your business not mine.

Doesn't surprise me one bit.. No yawn, Just fact!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Going down the threads from start this time.. No offense dv8, but this attitude is what will do us in. Won't run out in my lifetime, don't know how old you are but maybe your children's children. Mine for sure. So many ways to save water, but "It's no big deal".. Plenty to go around. Buy a truck load and I'm good.

Thankfully, I have no children. Does my attitude of use what I need also do us in?

I can assure you I know how to conserve better than those that call this land their natural home.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Thankfully, I have no children. Does my attitude of use what I need also do us in?

I can assure you I know how to conserve better than those that call this land their natural home.

I'm pleases that your conservation methods are better than Dominican's. Can't say for sure about your attitude, as you have not shared it with me. However, at this time I will stop discussing our worlds water supply issues. Excuse me if my passion for this topic shows through in my posts, but everyone has their passions and causes. Some do Cats, Dogs, Motorcycles, cars, ect.. Water is mine.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The rains will come soon!!!!!
Then they will complain about "Flooding"!!!!

DURING THE "Transition Period", you will see BOTH!!!!!!

Same EVERY YEAR!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

THAT SAID,....I do plan to install another "tinaco" just to give me a little bigger "Safety Net"!

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
I remember how after 3 days of heavy rain streets in Rio San Juan were so flooded that they looked like lakes (almost)...
literally - they werent passable at all....and the bridge to town also flooded...
and I asked myself: who constructed this ? ;-)
The rains will come soon!!!!!
Then they will complain about "Flooding"!!!!

DURING THE "Transition Period", you will see BOTH!!!!!!

Same EVERY YEAR!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

THAT SAID,....I do plan to install another "tinaco" just to give me a little bigger "Safety Net"!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Only Drops

looks like it will be raining today in LT

Not much, if at all.
Unless a thunderstorm develops.

A few minutes ago we had a few drops... but we need buckets of rain.

donP

Last edited: