Dutch newlyweds die in the DR

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
This is so irrelevant, anyone has suffered an encounter/contact with a jellyfish that is harmful will know about it and just about everyone around them, it is a very painful experience and very obvious with scars etc. and surely this couple had nothing like that happened to them - it would be hard to keep that a secret... !

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Okay, it seems the jellyfish, even if poisonous, is probably not what happened. Mr. AE [scuba diver, snorkler, swimmer] says if they were bit they would have known it immediately.

Let's move on.

As mentioned in one of the news articles, the autopsy results were released to the family, and if they do not choose to release them they will remain secret.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Besides, in the Netherlands they're doing their own investigation on the bodies now, I suppose next week their should be more information.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
is there any naturally occurring poisonous food in DR that cause accidental deaths?
a while ago a poster mentioned a plant called manzanilla de muerte but i do not think anyone confirmed that it grows in DR.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchineel

Manzanilla is a plant that grows in the DR and is used to make bush tea, but it is not poisonous. I asked Gaby about de muerte, and she says she has never heard of it.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Seafood wedding was fatal?
Clinica Canela in the city of La Romana, Dominican Republic, where the death of Jeroen and Michou Venema was found .. ?
The mystery surrounding the tragic wedding couple Jeroen Venema and Michou de Graaf is a medical mistake to exclude the cause of death. The newlywed bride died two weeks ago in the Dominican Republic already during the frantic ride from the hotel to a private hospital.

The revelation sheds new light on the sad thing about the couple Voorburg. Until now it was stated that both died in the clinic at seventeen kilometers from their hotel Catalonia Gran Dominicus. A fatal medical mistake by local doctors thus seemed a potential scenario. That now seems off the table.

During the last twenty-four hours of life visited the fledgling couple by boat from Bayahibe to the romantic bounty island of Saona. Fishermen around the bay suggest a possible source of poisoning: ciguatoxin. "Between May and August you should definitely not eat certain fish because they feed on toxic algae," warns one of them.

http://m.telegraaf.nl/article/26085375/werd-zeebanket-bruidspaar-fataal

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
is there any naturally occurring poisonous food in DR that cause accidental deaths?
a while ago a poster mentioned a plant called manzanilla de muerte but i do not think anyone confirmed that it grows in DR.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchineel

On the Northern Pacific West Coast all shellfish has to be avoided at certain times as the experts call it red tide and eating freshly caught shellfish can kill you.
I am not a marine biologist but perhaps this phenomena has reached this part of the Caribbean.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
A Dutch newspaper has received confirmation from a Dominican pathologist that poison was found in the bodies.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
A Dutch newspaper has received confirmation from a Dominican pathologist that poison was found in the bodies.

Its the only thing that makes any sense.. finally some real answers may be forthcoming now..

Not going to speculate even a mm further.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Red tides happen in the gulf of Mexico and for sure the Pacific Northwest in the late spring, caused by an algae bloom which affects filter feeders,
shell fish.

Ciguatera happens when smaller fish that feed on reef toxins are eaten by larger fish and when consumed, if they have the ciguatoxins, is poisonous to humans.
I don't believe you would croak right away however it can be dabilitating for years.

So scratch those off the menu.

Who knows?

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Google:
LA ROMANA - The death of the newlywed and Michou Jeroen Venema in the Dominican Republic appears according to local doctors caused by ciguatoxin poisoning, after eating the wrong fish.

So say the two doctors who Voorburg set on Sunday, June 12th at the clinic Canela La Romana have dealt personally against this newspaper. Jeroen and Michou were on honeymoon to the Caribbean, but became ill after a day trip to the bounty island of Saona. After a night violent vomiting lost the set the next morning, eleven days after their wedding, life.

,, We have much experience with suicide and poisoning by pesticides example in this region, '' said Dr. Cesar Leon, assisted by Dr. Francisco Hernandez. ,, Then you vibrate your pupils small and uncontrollable muscle. These was in the couple's total no. It also found that similar to suicide or drugs. ''

speculations
Since the tragic death of the young couple doing on social media in the Netherlands numerous speculations. Also because the family did not disclose the preliminary autopsy report by the forensic institute in Santo Domingo. However, the doctoring perception seems extremely unlikely that would like to make the couple jointly, or one of the two of them, end their lives.

,, I can hardly breathe, '' Jeroen complained on Sunday when he was brought to the intensive care unit. His bride was at that time in the ambulance to the clinic, already deceased. Leon: ,, The whole image looked like a strong ciguatoxin poisoning from contaminated fish. If you're quick enough to, within four hours, it is still treating the drug Mannitol. But even at Mr. Venema fumbled the poison the lung and heart function. He could not be saved. ''

Within six weeks, a thorough toxicological study must give the final results of the culprit.
http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/26097505/___Echtpaar_stierf_door_vis___.html

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
We have much experience with suicide and poisoning by pesticides example in this region, '' said Dr. Cesar Leon, assisted by Dr. Francisco Hernandez. ,, Then you vibrate your pupils small and uncontrollable muscle. These was in the couple's total no. It also found that similar to suicide or drugs. '

A bit lost in translation but it said here that the symptoms of the couple didn't look at all like a suicide or poisoning by pesticides. They didn't find any drugs or signs that would tell it was a suicide.

Jul 28, 2014
Ciguatera poisoning is caused by consumption of reef fish contaminated with ciguatoxin, which originates with certain dinoflagellates (ie, algae) associated with coral reef systems and accumulates up the food chain from small herbivorous fish to larger carnivorous fish, such as barracuda and grouper. Contaminated fish have no specific odor, color, or taste, making identification of potential contamination extremely difficult.

Ciguatera poisoning is a clinical diagnosis based upon a constellation of symptoms temporally related to ingestion of suspect fish products. Onset of symptoms may be within 15 minutes or as late as 24 hours (rarely) after ingestion of the toxin. Generally, symptoms are noted within 6-12 hours after ingestion of tropical reef fish. Symptoms increase in frequency and severity over the subsequent 4-6 hours. Reported symptoms are numerous but commonly affect 3 major organ systems: GI, neurologic, and cardiovascular.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A little Dominican 'lore'. Mr. AE says that in DR some people stick a silver spoon into the flesh of a fish [like a barracuda, which is often poisonous], and if it turns black they don't eat the fish.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
A little Dominican 'lore'. Mr. AE says that in DR some people stick a silver spoon into the flesh of a fish [like a barracuda, which is often poisonous], and if it turns black they don't eat the fish.

more caribben lore. cut a sliver of the fish, and throw it on the ground near a group of ants. if they don?t eat it, it will kill you.

Jul 28, 2014
From what I have read, it seems the barracuda is the most common fish to carry Ciguatera. Grouper ,Amberjack, Eels, Sea bass, Spanish mackerel, Red snapper, Parrot fish and Surgeon fish are a few of the other common fish that have been known to carry the toxin.

I've had Parrot fish more than once, guess I'll start taking a pass on those...

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
From what I have read, it seems the barracuda is the most common fish to carry Ciguatera. Grouper ,Amberjack, Eels, Sea bass, Spanish mackerel, Red snapper, Parrot fish and Surgeon fish are a few of the other common fish that have been known to carry the toxin.

I've had Parrot fish more than once, guess I'll start taking a pass on those...

I've seen quite often that they serve Parrot fish in the DR and I never could understand that.
Had just arrived in Panama and went with some friends on a boat to Isla Contadora for the day where I went spearfishing for the first time.
The only big fish I saw where Parrot so I shot 3 to have them included in the lunch.
Because of a storm coming we left early and didn't have lunch and I had cleaned the damn things already.
So in order not to waste the fish I offered them for free to the guys that were watching the jetski rental on the beach.
They didn't want them and I was explained why not therefore I've never eaten that fish.
Going of the subject when the Shah of Iran and his wife fled Iran they stayed for awhile in Panama on Isla Contadora.
The story goes that Omar Torrijos, who was Panama's strongman at that time was very much smitten with the Shah's wife and hit on her whenever he could with no luck.
The day they left he gave instructions to the staff not to clean the bed where the empress had slept in and the moment the plane took of from the island he dove into that bed and spent quite some hours in there.
Sorry back on subject ;)

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
People don't generally die from ciguatera poisoning, certainly not within 24 hours and in a hospital environment.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Old lore Never eat ocean fish in the months without an R. due to the toxin.