Education Level of DR1ers

The highest level of education you have achieved was a...

• Primary education or less

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • High school diploma or equivalent

Votes: 14 10.3%
  • Associate's degree

Votes: 22 16.2%
  • Bachelor's degree

Votes: 55 40.4%
  • Master's degree

Votes: 26 19.1%
  • Doctorate degree

Votes: 13 9.6%

• Total voters

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
It is not just about the education, it is about level of culture. "Low life" people do not necessarily come from poor neighborhoods. I have seen guys put "Doctor" on their car license plates. Is this supposed to be normal to display your credentials this way?

P.S. I have BS in ME and MS in CS :bunny:

I've ran into several PHDs who get offended if you don't refer to them by Dr. once you know they have a PHD and they are aware you know. Maybe its a Washington DC thing where educational status and political leverage is everything. Bunch of educated snobs here. They definately don't fit in the category as you defined, something_of_the_night. They want the world to know.

Humbleness is more defined when you are among people less educated than yourself than when your with your peers. Do you talk down to them? Do you avert your eyes away from people of lesser educated standing and focus your attention to those you see as an equal peer when in a group conversation. Do you speak over them? etc etc.
Body language and how you verbally communicate with others can say a lot, not just simple internet posts. Online posters can be the most deceptive in my opinion.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Regarding the people who ask how much others make and how much they have paid for certain items, what happens is that in a place like DR where people still buy things cash, it does matter. Here in America, I can buy anything, and I mean ANYTHING as long as I have a job and can get credit!

So people here in the States can get anything, then why bother to ask how much this or that was?

I'll be honest, when my family asks me how much I make, I still cringe. They all think that people are getting 'paid' when they refuse to talk about it or tell them how much they earn! LOL

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
In virually every society on the planet, a person's education is among the best predictors of their economic, intellectual and social success in life. The single most important ingredient in a society for class fluidity and upward mobility is edumacation.

To say that those with a great amount of edumacation are not more intelligent than those who have little belittles the pruposes of edumacation: to acquire knowledge (the practical which aids the vocational) and learn critical thinking skills.

Yes, there is a difference between edumacation and intelligence. But the combination of the two gives a person a huge head start in life. And, IMO, intelligence without edumacation is wasted potential.

I've found that those without edumacation are the ones most prone to mocking it.

The world may be populated with numerous edumacated derelicts, but it is populated with expotentially more unedumacated derelicts.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
I've found that those without edumacation are the ones most prone to mocking it.

The world may be populated with numerous edumacated derelicts, but it is populated with expotentially more unedumacated derelicts.

So, what kind of derelict are you? You sound like one of those mid-range folks I talked about. And it sounds as if you are mocking us, the uneducated bunch.

Did you notice how the most educated members are downplaying their education, some even calling it circumstantial? You were obviously too busy.

-The Kid

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
So, what kind of derelict are you? You sound like one of those mid-range folks I talked about. And it sounds as if you are mocking us, the uneducated bunch.

Did you notice how the most educated members are downplaying their education, some even calling it circumstantial? You were obviously too busy.

-The Kid
Uh-huh.

You presume much, and know little.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Hey, cobraboy, you are half-right: I presume much, but I know nothing.

It's too bad the more enlightened posters of the old days are no longer here, or are not interested in chit-chat, for they would have a field day with your holier-than-thou self-importance. You remind us of a certain weatherman wannabe from the Sosua area.

By the way, I must admit that the English language has been a very difficult hurdle for me to clear, even after all these years, so I consult Webster's on a daily basis, but last night I could not find the word EXPOTENTIALLY. Are you messing with me, cobraboy? That's not fair, cobraboy.

-The Kid

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com

It's too bad the more enlightened posters of the old days are no longer here, or are not interested in chit-chat, for they would have a field day with your holier-than-thou self-importance. You remind us of a certain weatherman wannabe from the Sosua area.

By the way, I must admit that the English language has been a very difficult hurdle for me to clear, even after all these years, so I consult Webster's on a daily basis, but last night I could not find the word EXPOTENTIALLY. Are you messing with me, cobraboy? That's not fair, cobraboy.

-The Kid
I am good at quickly scanning and skipping posts but it is still nice to have the ignore feature.;)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

-The Kid
Not messing with you at all. I miss your Sosua weatherman wannabe comment. Holier than thou? The poll asked what folks educational background is, and I answered it. I do suppose opinions vary, right? Are some opinions more important than others?

It's interesting that folks acknowledge that education is the single most important issue for the future success of the DR, and then folks put down those with an education. I find a humorous component to that logic.

Thanks for the spelling correction. I shoulda run it through iespell. My bad. Good catch.

Who is "us"?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Stop kids! Lets go back to class so that someday you can be educated enough to let things go...

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Aside from the above part where you kiss an embarrassing amount of DR1 butt....I agreed with your post (for once). ;)
Scandall

To my certain knowledge he/she has never been near my butt..............;) I notice things like that, even tucked away up here in this removed academic tower................

Anyone remember the days when the joke for almost graduates from certain countries used to be B.A. (Calcutta) Failed........? Boy haven't times changed! Last I heard there was an uproar over declining entry visas to US for certain Asian students, because the indigenous population would have no one good to copy from..................:laugh:

LoveMyDRHusband

Oct 10, 2005
Maybe it would be more fair/interesting, to state your education along with your yearly income, since a better job is probably the main reason for one to seek higher education.
Steve
I dropped out of school in the 9th grade :eek: and later got a GED but I make better money than my sister who has graduated from HS and has finished almost 3 yrs of college. She is working towards an CPA degree I think. My degree is in the field of hard knocks.:rambo: Professionally I am an over the road truck driver and was making an average of $1068.00 a week at the time I injured my back. I only worked for about 9 months in the year. I am now making less since I can no longer drive for the lenght of time I used to, but I still make more than her and I love it.:bunny: :bunny:

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
I dropped out of school in the 9th grade :eek: and later got a GED but I make better money than my sister who has graduated from HS and has finished almost 3 yrs of college. She is working towards an CPA degree I think. My degree is in the field of hard knocks.:rambo: Professionally I am an over the road truck driver and was making an average of $1068.00 a week at the time I injured my back. I only worked for about 9 months in the year. I am now making less since I can no longer drive for the lenght of time I used to, but I still make more than her and I love it.:bunny: :bunny:

Nice story. I am happy things worked out for you.

Question to all who downplay degrees: Would you encourage young people to go to University? I certainly would. On average, people with degrees make more than those who don't have degrees and they have more opportunity. Not all but most. This is why we all complain about the lack of education in the DR. It limits opportunity.

We are all aware that Bill Gates was a college dropout etc. But he is one in a million.

A formal education does not guarantee success or even intelligence. But these days you need to be as competitive as possible.

Thoughts?

Professor Scandall

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
A formal education does not guarantee success or even intelligence. But these days you need to be as competitive as possible.

Thoughts?

Professor Scandall
Today, a college degree is today's equivalent of a Union Apprentice card. It guarantees the holder nothing, but most worthwhile doors will not open without it.

I know many who have acheiveed some success without formal education. I wonder how high they may have achieved if they had it.

Formal education should NOT be confused with vocational training.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Today, a college degree is today's equivalent of a Union Apprentice card. It guarantees the holder nothing, but most worthwhile doors will not open without it.

I know many who have acheiveed some success without formal education. I wonder how high they may have achieved if they had it.

Formal education should NOT be confused with vocational training.

I agree with Scandall, about earning potential with a degree, however those with a 2 or 3 year technology diploma/degree usually have better sucess finding a job in their field of expertise and make better money, whether it computer related, energy related or mechanical/ structural engineering related. My oldest son is working as an ironworker making great money, but if he gets hurts, he doesn't have the educational background to ease into a different field of work. My youngest is in his first year of University for a criminalogy degree, and since there will always be crooks, he shouldn't have a hard time getting a well paid job. Not to many people would be willing to state how much they make. I make more than 70K but less thAN 100K with my college education. Cobraboy, you are right vocational training should not be confused with formal training, vocational is practical and useful, formal makes you more educated and knowledgeable.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Oh, how I wished I had been exposed to the likes of Ward Churchill, Noam Chomsky, and Laurence Tribe; I probably wouldn't sound like the crack-head that I am today.

It's too late for The Kid, but I surely envy those of you whose eyes have been opened with a liberal education.

So, yes, I concurr with Scandall and cobraboy. It's unfortunate most kids need to be motivated with the potential of increased financial gain, rather than with more liberal aproach to education.

-The Kid

Last edited:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Higher Education = How to insult Americans?

Last I heard there was an uproar over declining entry visas to US for certain Asian students, because the indigenous population would have no one good to copy from..................:laugh:

So, Lambada, prejudiced as ever I see against the U.S.A. .......

You are one heck of a great guy, were your insults to AMERICANS taught in your U.K higher education schooling?

Perhaps YOU should re-think some of your insults.
I see nothing to laugh about in your personal insult on Americans.

Is it just Americans or do you insult all those not from the U.K. and/or having the same HIGHER(?) education as you, the same way?