Education Level of DR1ers

The highest level of education you have achieved was a...

• Primary education or less

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • High school diploma or equivalent

Votes: 14 10.3%
  • Associate's degree

Votes: 22 16.2%
  • Bachelor's degree

Votes: 55 40.4%
  • Master's degree

Votes: 26 19.1%
  • Doctorate degree

Votes: 13 9.6%

• Total voters

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Great question. I certainly downplay degrees to some extent. In some ways I feel degrees are for people not good enough to make it without "formal education". . . . .depending on the field that is. . . .I like my doctors and lawyers to have degrees. . . . . . .sales and marketing guys? Who cares?

I went to college at age 17 and found that getting laid seemed more important to me than going to class. . . .so 2.5 years and not even a lowly associates degree! I hated it.

I now make just over the cusp of "six figures" . . . after "taking it easy" for three years where I made much less;-) ie unemployed

This is the second time I have clawed my way over that cusp. . . . .in the same field but totally different job titles. I was in sales and now do product design/development. . . .

I don't have kids but my novia has a 4 year old daughter. I most certainly would want her to be formally educated as It would be silly to assume she felt the way I do.

She is 4 and started school in a bi lingual school right near the scandall abode in gazcue. Bright kid and I make sure she makes her school and learning english top priority. . . . . .do as I say. . . not as I did. . . .

Nice story. I am happy things worked out for you.

Question to all who downplay degrees: Would you encourage young people to go to University? I certainly would. On average, people with degrees make more than those who don't have degrees and they have more opportunity. Not all but most. This is why we all complain about the lack of education in the DR. It limits opportunity.

We are all aware that Bill Gates was a college dropout etc. But he is one in a million.

A formal education does not guarantee success or even intelligence. But these days you need to be as competitive as possible.

Thoughts?

Professor Scandall

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Geez SantiagoDR, is this really necessary? We are in the DR you know. Perhaps you can grow a little thicker skin?

Hehe :laugh: Don't worry, Chris, I'm not going to respond. He probably has...........time on his hands.

But getting back to the subject............the recent OECD report shows how Asian nations are outpacing both US AND Europe ;) in grade-school and university education......... The OECD report found about 97% of all South Koreans aged 25 to 34 have completed high school, the highest rate among OECD countries. and The US spends more on primary and secondary education than most developed countries, yet has larger classes, lower test scores and higher dropout rates, the Paris-based OECD said in its annual report on education. Britain, France and Italy are just meeting OECD averages on producing college graduates, and Germany has ?fallen significantly behind,? the report said.

Interesting stuff here showing that amount of money spent on education does not necessarily equal highest standards.
www.bbj.hu :: Asia gains on US and Europe in education

At the level of tertiary education US used to be in number one spot, but now ranks 7 because other countries are 'catching up' or indeed surpassing.
http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/51/20/37392850.pdf

The latest OECD report is called Education at a Glance and can be accessed via OECD site.
Low educational attainments continue to penalise people in many OECD countries

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
I could'da been a contender!

Pero no! Tuve oportunidades de llegar a la cumbre pero mi estupidez me enga?o diciendo que un diploma es nada mas que un pedazo de papel!! Si yo supiera ayer lo que se hoy, jamas dejaria mi escuela. hoy sufro las consequencias de la falta de una buena educacion! Cooooo?ooooo!!
Maldita suerte!

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Pero no! Tuve oportunidades de llegar a la cumbre pero mi estupidez me enga?o diciendo que un diploma es nada mas que un pedazo de papel!! Si yo supiera ayer lo que se hoy, jamas dejaria mi escuela. hoy sufro las consequencias de la falta de una buena educacion! Cooooo?ooooo!!
Maldita suerte!

From reading some of your posts you could have fooled me. You have done a good job in life education.:)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"I Have All The $$$$$$$$ I Will EVER Need!!!!!!!!

" Unless I Have To Buy Something!!!!":cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

"Unemployed" and never been happier!!!!

I am turning down better jobs than I quit!:)

I am turning into a "Democrat"!!! I love their "Free Money For Not Working" Policies!!

Wonder when I start turning ..."Black"????;) .. or even "Hispanic"?????:rambo:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
" Unless I Have To Buy Something!!!!":cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

"Unemployed" and never been happier!!!!

I am turning down better jobs than I quit!:)

I am turning into a "Democrat"!!! I love their "Free Money For Not Working" Policies!!

Wonder when I start turning ..."Black"????;) .. or even "Hispanic"?????:rambo:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Man, I miss you.

That had me spitting out my morning coffee.

Watch out...here comes the PC police!

Scandall

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Growing thicker skin..... ouch!

Don't worry about the PC police Scandall, just refer them to Chris's post:

"We are in the DR you know. Perhaps you can grow a little thicker skin?"

After all, this thread is about education levels, and thanks to this thread mine just went up a notch. I just "learned" about the Urban Dictionary and the definition of "Limey .......".

I think there should be an option in the poll for Self education (Edumacation) which has been implemented in many areas of America by disfranchised/dissed group.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Don't worry about the PC police Scandall, just refer them to Chris's post:

"We are in the DR you know. Perhaps you can grow a little thicker skin?"

After all, this thread is about education levels, and thanks to this thread mine just went up a notch. I just "learned" about the Urban Dictionary and the definition of "Limey .......".

I think there should be an option in the poll for Self education (Edumacation) which has been implemented in many areas of America by disfranchised/dissed group.

Is "dissed" in the Urban Dictionary too?

:)

Scandall

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Is "dissed" in the Urban Dictionary too?

:)

Scandall

Yes, it was also used in the definition of "Edumaction" in the Urban Dictionary, thus it was part of my post accordingly. lol

1. dissed
"dis"missed impolitely

You just got dissed!

2. dissed
A. dissing someone is showing disrespect to them
B. being dissed is the act of being disconnected, by voice or by modem, from another party

Yo, back off. Don't dis' my peeps.

I didn't finish the file transfer last night because I got dissed.

3. dissed

The act of putting someone down with words.

Back off yah cracker!

Yo, she just dissed you out!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
SantiagoDR, your edumaction is showing lol

My edumacation limits my spelling to a max of 10 letter words, thus I had to spell edumacation with only 10 letters.

But I someline compinsate for me limmited sbelllings by throwing up an extra letter in ottor words now and when. Perhaps in June when me gradulate from dis here grade 3 me spelllink willl improve.

Please don't diss me, I be tryin!

PS: I mey hav missbell a lew words......