Education

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
it is just as well you did not bother to attempt to. people who make those statements are usually members in good standing of the sabelotodo club. you know, the guys who know everything about everything. it is a flourishing fraternity in the DR.

You are spot-on. On my previous post about that guy, I had written about his know-it-all-abilitiy, but then I cancelled it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You are spot-on. On my previous post about that guy, I had written about his know-it-all-abilitiy, but then I cancelled it.

i have no idea if it is the water, or the air, or the salami con mangu, but there exists a group of folks in the DR who cannot be told anything, because they either know it already, or know it to be useless, since they did not already know it.

Dec 26, 2011
i have no idea if it is the water, or the air, or the salami con mangu, but there exists a group of folks in the DR who cannot be told anything, because they either know it already, or know it to be useless, since they did not already know it.

You've met my dear one. She's not dumb as Dominican young ladies come, as you perceived. But we get into the most interesting debates about Spanish words. You see, Larousse be damned, words used globally mean only what Dominicans think they mean. The rest of us are confused. And if they've never heard of a word? Well then... it's as you've said, useless. :)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You've met my dear one. She's not dumb as Dominican young ladies come, as you perceived. But we get into the most interesting debates about Spanish words. You see, Larousse be damned, words used globally mean only what Dominicans think they mean. The rest of us are confused. And if they've never heard of a word? Well then... it's as you've said, useless. :)

my German friend was recounting to me, just last week, about the animated debate he had with a Dominican guy about the weather in Europe. be mindful of the fact that said Dominican has never left these shores, and you can imagine the picture....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
a simple check on wiki for the ranking of PUCMM will show that it ranks # 205 out of 250 Latin American Universities listed. that should be a good indicator of where it ranks in the world.

Caribbean | Ranking Web of Universities

Ranking of universities has little to do with the quality of student they put out but everything to do with Professors with peer rated papers published....etc. Said professor may be an absolutely brilliant scholar but very poor teacher.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Recently, I've heard friends and/or relatives say that Brazil has the top economy in the world; that the original 5th Beatle committed suicide after getting kicked out of the group; that Candelier was the top soldier trained in the School of the Americas; that the toll is 300 pesos each way between Hig?ey and P.C.; that Julio Iglesias and Oscar de la Renta live together in the same house, and each owns several private jets; and a bunch of other "facts" not worth repeating.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Recently, I've heard friends and/or relatives say that Brazil has the top economy in the world; that the original 5th Beatle committed suicide after getting kicked out of the group; that Candelier was the top soldier trained in the School of the Americas; that the toll is 300 pesos each way between Hig?ey and P.C.; that Julio Iglesias and Oscar de la Renta live together in the same house, and each owns several private jets; and a bunch of other "facts" not worth repeating.

A thousand thoughts per seconds.

Lay off the coffee!!!!

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012

...and Jack Veneno is the wrestling champion of the world

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Caribbean | Ranking Web of Universities

Ranking of universities has little to do with the quality of student they put out but everything to do with Professors with peer rated papers published....etc. Said professor may be an absolutely brilliant scholar but very poor teacher.

thanks for your scholarly dissertation, educating us great unwashed with your exemplary level of erudition. despite your wondrous insights, i would rather attend a school like MIT, with the formidable faculty which they boast, than some school which is staffed by guys who are barely above GED standards. i care not a whit how well they can teach. i want to know that they know their stuff. otherwise, i will teach myself.