Fine Dining Experience...

Coralia

Mar 30, 2007
www.myspace.com
Try "Dracula" Restaurant next to the Cityhall in Sosua, a new and just opened...the name sounds spooky but its a very exclusive restaurant, nice ambiance, and they have even a private dining room for special occasions...price is reasonable and food excellent......

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
7:36 PM Restaurant in Cabarete was the location we chose for a special occasion and it truly was.

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com
tres cocos in puerto plata.

I agree with this as the best restaurant in the Puerto Plata area. Tres Cocos is where I go for fine dining in Puerto Plata. BUT! My favorite is Ota Cosa in Caberete. It ranks with any restaurant that I have ever been to for food quality and the location and ambiance is the best ever being 10 yards from the ocean. My favorite dish there is the beef filet tenderloin with duck liver sauced, morels & cognac. Check out this web site with photos, [http://www.activecabarete.com/otracosa]

Last edited:

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I agree with this as the best restaurant in the Puerto Plata area. Tres Cocos is where I go for fine dining in Puerto Plata. BUT! My favorite is Ota Cosa in Caberete. It ranks with any restaurant that I have ever been to for food quality and the location and ambiance is the best ever being 10 yards from the ocean. My favorite dish there is the beef filet tenderloin with duck liver sauced, morels & cognac. Check out this web site with photos, [http://www.activecabarete.com/otracosa]

This sounds like something worth trying. Thanks. Can you tell me where exactly it is? And, not so important, what the prices are like?

BelgianK

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
This sounds like something worth trying. Thanks. Can you tell me where exactly it is? And, not so important, what the prices are like?

BelgianK

Otra Cosa is on the same road as the Velero hotel...just past the hotel entrance on the opposite side of the street. Dinner for two with an appetizer, two entrees, a dessert and a few glasses of wine or cocktails will run about $3000-4000 pesos.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
In Calle Jon de la Loma, just before Cabarete (town), is Bliss. This is a lovely restaurant with a husband/wife team owning and managing it. He is a world class chef and she is a delightful hostess. The setting is beautiful, around a small pool and the food has always been excellent. Sea Horse is good but can be busy depending on the night. Another beautiful setting is Al Porto in the project just before Sosua on the right. Setting is lovely though the food has been disappointing and the prices never match the quality of the food. Not a big fan of Otra Cosas due to noise and furnishings, very uncomfortable chairs and prices are a little high. Casa Colonial is excellent though it is almost in Puerto Plata and an ugly drive from either Sosua or Cabarete at night. Maranja, (sp?) in the Viva Hotel in Cabarete has had some very decent meals. It is another pretty place with great service and close by for Cabarete folks. Enjoy all of them.

Bliss is a great italian restaurant, I ate some sort of gorgonzola vinagrette salad.. pasta filled with ricotta and spinach in a buttery sauce. do NOT order the grapefruit creme brulee :( Hm, good restaurants in the area.. I think Thai Chili in sosua is a unique place to go.. Casa 21 was really meh, expected way more. Scotch and sirloin is the best steakhouse in the area (not saying much, there are NO good steakhouses in the DR, not even SD or STI, the dry aging and proper cooking methods are missing here).

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
BelgianK ,
Tell us all where you finally go?

Hope you have a great time!

Olly

HIRAM

Mar 19, 2005
In a couple of weeks, my wife and I will be celebrating a couple of things. 3 years of living here, and her birthday.

I would like to treat her to a fine dining experience, as this is something we have both been missing over here. By fine dining I mean a sophisticated meal by a real chef, with the wines to go with it. Not "un filete de cerdo con salsa de ...."...

Do not get me wrong, we have gotten some very decent meals here, especially if you consider the price. But they are not "fine dining"

Anybody any suggestions, preferably on the NC?

BelgianK

If you are a gourmet and visited restos in Belgium or France,...... it will be very difficult to find real good dining experiences in the DR.Steak houses are not restaurants, ?eating houses? maybe..... A gourmet never order a filet mignon or a ?sirloin hormone? steak, that?s food with a salsa, not more....... My sugestion : La Briciola in Santo Domingo. Or Opus 48. Hotel : Embajador.
Je vous souhaite une belle soir?e.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Well I am not sure about the Opus 48 but Agentinos outside the Embajador is great and their wine list something else!!!

Olly

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
If you are a gourmet and visited restos in Belgium or France,...... it will be very difficult to find real good dining experiences in the DR.Steak houses are not restaurants, ?eating houses? maybe..... A gourmet never order a filet mignon or a ?sirloin hormone? steak, that?s food with a salsa, not more....... My sugestion : La Briciola in Santo Domingo. Or Opus 48. Hotel : Embajador.
Je vous souhaite une belle soir?e.

Merci beaucoup... yes, my wife and I used to enjoy the finer restaurants in Belgium and France. Both, because of work, but also privately.

After a while you start to miss it. While we were there, we got bored by it... lol.

But a regular taverne in Belgium offers better food than 90% of the restaurants here.

BelgianK

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I feel that the waterfront would be out of business if it didn't have one of the best dinning views in Sosua. I like the Tai reatuarant in la multa or the Germania or Hotel Combria. Just my opinion.

May 12, 2005
Bliss is a great italian restaurant, I ate some sort of gorgonzola vinagrette salad.. pasta filled with ricotta and spinach in a buttery sauce. do NOT order the grapefruit creme brulee :( Hm, good restaurants in the area.. I think Thai Chili in sosua is a unique place to go.. Casa 21 was really meh, expected way more. Scotch and sirloin is the best steakhouse in the area (not saying much, there are NO good steakhouses in the DR, not even SD or STI, the dry aging and proper cooking methods are missing here).

Have you eaten at Rancho in Santiago or Davy Crockett in the Capital?

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
BelgianK,
Perhaps then you should go back to Belgium for you fine dining expereince? Why stay here?

Olly

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
there are NO good steakhouses in the DR, not even SD or STI, the dry aging and proper cooking methods are missing here).
The fine steak restaurants I've eaten in must have been a mirage.

Rancho and Puerto Madera in STI, and Davy Crockett's and Antonios (the ones I've eaten in the capital; there are several more) don't count.

I wonder if DR!'s rafael, who's a serious cow eater, will weigh in...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Comparing Rancho and Puerto Madera to a fine steakhouse in the US for example would be a mirage. The imported beef at David Crockett can match up on a lower scale though.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
I Guess SKY you have NOT tried Argentinos outside he Embajador ?

OLLY and the team