Fine Dining Experience...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Comparing Rancho and Puerto Madera to a fine steakhouse in the US for example would be a mirage. The imported beef at David Crockett can match up on a lower scale though.
But the price is hugely lower than a "fine steak house" in the states.

The beef is very good, however. And that's what I pay for when I go to a steak house. Others may have different criteria.

But, as usual, opinions vary.

HIRAM

Mar 19, 2005
Merci beaucoup... yes, my wife and I used to enjoy the finer restaurants in Belgium and France. Both, because of work, but also privately.

After a while you start to miss it. While we were there, we got bored by it... lol.

But a regular taverne in Belgium offers better food than 90% of the restaurants here.

BelgianK

200% AGREE WITH YOU.
And the beers : Tripel Westmalle, Grand Cru Hoegaerden, Orval, Leffe, Westvleteren
And the great french wines, so different from the standard ?coca-cola wines?from Chile, Argentina or Califormia-burgondy, chablis hahahahaha.

james

Jan 14, 2002
What about Le Papillon between Costambar and Cofresi. I have many American and Cdn friends have been saying for years it is the best steak on the north coast and equal to the best in Atlanta, Georgia for instance. Also have some steak loving Texan friends and thats the first place the want to go to when they are here.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
BelgianK,
Perhaps then you should go back to Belgium for you fine dining expereince? Why stay here?

Olly

Why should I go back to have a nice meal? I am not saying I want this every week.

Yes, you can have a decent meal here for very little money. But, for that special occasion, you want something special. Hence the question.

As it looks now, we will probably give casa otra in Cabarete a try. I will let you know our experiences.

For those of you who apparently have never had the joy to eat in a Michelin star restaurant... there is a HUGE difference between a good meal, and a fantastic meal...

Just as there is a huge difference between a fine chateau wine from France, and a decent every day wine from Chile.

It of course comes with a price tag as well...

BelgianK

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
200% AGREE WITH YOU.
And the beers : Tripel Westmalle, Grand Cru Hoegaerden, Orval, Leffe, Westvleteren
And the great french wines, so different from the standard ?coca-cola wines?from Chile, Argentina or Califormia-burgondy, chablis hahahahaha.

And my favourite beer... the dark Tongerlo from a small monastery...
Although the Westmalle and the Hoegaerden are close seconds...
And some philistines here think Presidente is a great beer... mind you, they probably think they are having a feast drinking a Heineken as well...

A nice Chablis Grand Cru, or a Pouilly Fume.... as wines from France...
A Penedes from Spain...
Or if you for the Spanish Brandy... a Dulce de Alba...
Or from France a nice Calvados...

I have to stop now... have to wipe the saliva away...

BelgianK

Aug 21, 2007
Why should I go back to have a nice meal? I am not saying I want this every week.

As it looks now, we will probably give casa otra in Cabarete a try. I will let you know our experiences.

BelgianK

Just to make sure you find the right restaurant, I think you wish to go to Otra Cosa, not Casa Otra! lol

Lindsey

Dec 26, 2011
If you are a gourmet and visited restos in Belgium or France,...... it will be very difficult to find real good dining experiences in the DR.Steak houses are not restaurants, ?eating houses? maybe..... A gourmet never order a filet mignon or a ?sirloin hormone? steak, that?s food with a salsa, not more....... My sugestion : La Briciola in Santo Domingo. Or Opus 48. Hotel : Embajador.
Je vous souhaite une belle soir?e.

I've heard great things about La Briciola.

I love Meson de Bari in the Zona Colonial. Wonderful ambiance and delicious food. It may be just a tad less sophisticated than you're looking for but there's something about the place that's hard to quantify. I hope you have the opportunity to enjoy it at some point.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
BelgianK,
Hope you had a good time where ever you went ! You said you would give us all a report of the first Michelin star restaurant on the North coast!

How about it!

Olly and the Team

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Cappucino's is the best restuarant that i have been to in Santo Domingo.. they have three different dining rooms.. one in the ice cream parlor, one in a meditarrean (sp?) cafe, and one in a traditional Spanish room..

I was also at a high end restaurant in Bayahibe.. Do not know the name but the setting was AMAZING .. the sort of thing you see in Conde Nast Travelers; magazine // . and the food was excellent

In Las Terrenas.. Willies.. which took over the old Godfather;s place on the hill to Playa Bonita sets the best table . I had lamb there last week, I think it is the first time I had edible lamb here in the DR. Once I had it at the British Ambassador;s house but it was overcooked. They serve lamb at all the fine restuarants in Haiti. Why not here?

Sorry realized that this was just the north coast forum.. but there you have it./

dunroamin

Oct 12, 2010
For several years I have been a fan of the restaurant at the Hotel Atlantis Playa Bonita at las Terrenas I was last there in March 2012 and it was still excellent. Good french food good wines great view
i do not normally recommend restaurants for this place I make an exception

May 20, 2012
7:36 PM Restaurant in Cabarete was the location we chose for a special occasion and it truly was.
This place was our favorite, but has been steadily gone wayyyy downhill in quality of food and service. But the prices continue to climb. We will never go back after last time when the portions were so small we laughed......until we got the bill. Then we cried. We complained, but to no avail; obviously we are just too picky!

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
Should have clarified in my post, that was a few years ago. Thanks for a more recent update.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
BelgianK and Acira,
Hope you had a good time on your special occaision. Where did you go and what was it like?

I know you are a man of your word so I quote your post#45

"I will let you know our experiences.

For those of you who apparently have never had the joy to eat in a Michelin star restaurant... there is a HUGE difference between a good meal, and a fantastic meal..."

It would be nice to hear about the first Michellin Star Restaurant on the North Coast with fine Chateau bottled wines!

Olly and the Team

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
yes, off topic but i'll be damned, miesposo always goes there when he is in SD on business trips. he tells me it's ok. lying bastard.
:)

LOL dv8! We took mountainannie there for dinner last year, and yes, it was excellent. The desserts were out of this world too.