german tourist murdered on the malecon in POP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Even Punta Cana is becoming much more violent with daily robberies ( you don't hear about), drivers becoming more reckless, and even Gringos who think they are Dominicans while driving MotoCochos.. I never go out anymore with out my licenced fire arm, and I am prepared to use it if need be..

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
some folks have an instinct to immediately give up and some to fight. i think it's not evident until bad things happen to you. the german guy could have been surprised, as in do not fully comprehend what's going on, especially if the criminals said/shouted something and did not show the gun straight away.
I partially agree, to a degree, but when someone is pointing a gun at you, that is fairly explicit to what it means. They are threatening your life. Most people have heard about it gazillion times, and seen in news broadcast, youtube, or at least the movies (often it is the cops who point the guns, to bad or good guys, but same effect).

Perhaps that is something people can be educated about: how to avoid (preferably), and react in case someone tries to rob you. Of course tour operators will be reluctant to talk about such things to their customers, but perhaps governments and/or suitable organizations could. It may help to have insurance, since that may reduce any natural tendency to resist (knowing you at least have a good chance to recover whatever they take). Likewise, avoiding wearing jewelry if possible at all , which you can lose also because of "natural reasons" at the beach, while on tour, etc (leave it at home, or in a safe deposit box at the hotel). A decent tourist-type digital camera and/or a mobile phone shouldn't be worth more than a few hundred USD combined (already used by you) and not worth a fight (and may possibly be insured).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I partially agree, to a degree, but when someone is pointing a gun at you, that is fairly explicit to what it means.

i had a gun pointed at me and i fought back. so it's not as simple as that. this is the lowest of instinctive reactions.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I lived in a couple of countries and every time the people had stories to tel about places they knew a little. when I say that I am here on the malecon the last 3 years, I mean that I am here from 11 am until 1 or 4 am. I'm here 14 or , 17 hours every day. Week in, week out. And in my place nothing happened the last 3 years. And also nothing happened with my clients.

You have a business on the "Malecon", therefore you post how safe it is to be on the "Malecon".
Not exactly an unbiased opinion.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
To be murdered in broad daylight on a busy street in front of his wife is an absolutely disgraceful thing to happen. One can be numbed to reports of foreigners getting killed here after so many years of exposure, but this one is different.

it shows that these criminals have no fear of the authorities, the police and Cestur are ineffective and apathetic. There must be some pressure put on the police to find the perpetrators and the real ones who actually did it, rather than some patsy they might drum up. I really hope that the poor wife gets justice and closure.

Alas I have little to no faith in the Dominican police force.

It's a terrible tragedy, but let's not get carried away. The Dominican police just caught a band of thugs only a few weeks after their crimes happened (and by all indications they are the right ones). Apparently crime stats are now yet another taboo (unless unfavorable to the DR) but the stats clearly show the crime situation is other similar destinations is much worse. Hence, the police can't be that bad, can it?.

There are street thugs everywhere (specially in tourist areas), and often they act in broad daylight. It is their M.O. There are much fewer "targets" at night, for obvious reasons. Of course they fear authorities, but they just assume they will make a quick escape and get away with it (just like we assume that bad things will always happen to someone else). It's human nature.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
i had a gun pointed at me and i fought back. so it's not as simple as that. this is the lowest of instinctive reactions.

Preserving your life it's one one the most basic of all instincts..."fear" is actually meant to protect us from taking unnecessary risks...like I said, it's something one may potentially be educated about. Insure your goods and hopefully that will (consciously or unconsciously) help you, knowing they are actually robbing the insurance company.

R?mulo P?rez

Feb 10, 2015
To be murdered in broad daylight on a busy street in front of his wife is an absolutely disgraceful thing to happen. One can be numbed to reports of foreigners getting killed here after so many years of exposure, but this one is different.

it shows that these criminals have no fear of the authorities, the police and Cestur are ineffective and apathetic. There must be some pressure put on the police to find the perpetrators and the real ones who actually did it, rather than some patsy they might drum up. I really hope that the poor wife gets justice and closure.

Alas I have little to no faith in the Dominican police force.

I've read numerous articles here in the DR over the years of police being robbed of their weapons at gunpoint. Talk about innefective and apathetic...incompetence and cowardliness belong in their too. In the U.S. cops get killed while fighting criminals and trying to make arrests but I've never heard of them getting held up for their guns even once let alone a bunch of times like here. The PN, DICRIM, DNCD, etc., make the Keystone Cops look fearsome. From their sloppy uniforms to their unprofessional behavior they give the thugs every reason NOT to fear them.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
It's a terrible tragedy, but let's not get carried away. The Dominican police just caught a band of thugs only a few weeks after their crimes happened (and by all indications they are the right ones). Apparently crime stats are now yet another taboo (unless unfavorable to the DR) but the stats clearly show the crime situation is other similar destinations is much worse. Hence, the police can't be that bad, can it?.

There are street thugs everywhere (specially in tourist areas), and often they act in broad daylight. It is their M.O. There are much fewer "targets" at night, for obvious reasons. Of course they fear authorities, but they just assume they will make a quick escape and get away with it (just like we assume that bad things will always happen to someone else). It's human nature.

Get carried away!!!!! Oh ok then it's no biggie. Explain that to his wife then!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

It's like killing a fly in your kitchen, you get three back.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
I'm sure this unfortunate event will put a damper on all DR police agencies supplemental income for a short period of time.

:bandit::devious:............:cry:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com

I'M sure THE FAMILIES OF THE 4 TOURIST KILLED ON THE NORTH Shore of DOMINICAN REPUBLIC so far this year will be over joyed to learn that crime is worse in other places.

Just remember that you are posting on "DR1.com",.... and NOT,."EVERYWHERE ELSE.com".
I know saying EVERYTHING is worse in other countries is the excuse ALWAYS given by DUMINICANS, but the rest of us see right through THAT $HIT!!!!
THE FIRST STEP IN SOLVING any problem, IS TO RECOGNIZE THAT YOU HAVE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!
Dominicans can not accept any criticism of anything in their country, therefore the can never solve any of their problems!!!
Throwing all their garbage in the streets doesn't SOLVE anything,...wait, it does get some of the filth out of their house!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Get carried away!!!!! Oh ok then it's no biggie. Explain that to his wife then!

I guess you miss the FIRST sentence in my post. Here it goes:

It's a terrible tragedy.

But let's not get carried away.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
glad they got one, won't be long to shoot the other.
One would hope he was was one of the criminals, but who knows? All too easy for the police to settle old scores with someone else, either because they know he is a criminal who has evaded punishment, or because he may have failed to keep up with his payments.

So far no-one has introduced the word "Haitian". Is this a first? Maybe there were too many witnesses as to skin-color for Dominicans to rely on the usual scapegoats.

There are two categories of police. The low-level incompetent and cowardly ones mentioned above and the crooks. The first have every right to be incompetent and cowardly considering their lack of training, equipment and derisory pay. Who wants to get wounded, or worse, for the price of a plate of beans and rice? The crooked cops are implicated in much crime. a senior government official recently estimated in as much as 80% of crime. And many of them are associated with, or related to, politicians and officials.

This could be a damaging blow to the cruise industry here.

Another factor not mentioned in the discussion of the crooks' recklessness or bravado robbing in the town center in broad daylight is the possible influence of drugs. Druggies desperate for their next fix are not the most rational or calculating people.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
No Virgo, we won't, but the 4 dead tourists will get "Carried Away",.......
Just like the Dominicans killed here everyday will be.:dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead:
THAT, might concern you????????????????????????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's actually 6th gringo killed on the NC this year but first tourist, the rest were more or less residents.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
One would hope he was was one of the criminals, but who knows? All too easy for the police to settle old scores with someone else, either because they know he is a criminal who has evaded punishment, or because he may have failed to keep up with his payments.

So far no-one has introduced the word "Haitian". Is this a first? Maybe there were too many witnesses as to skin-color for Dominicans to rely on the usual scapegoats.

There are two categories of police. The low-level incompetent and cowardly ones mentioned above and the crooks. The first have every right to be incompetent and cowardly considering their lack of training, equipment and derisory pay. Who wants to get wounded, or worse, for the price of a plate of beans and rice? The crooked cops are implicated in much crime. a senior government official recently estimated in as much as 80% of crime. And many of them are associated with, or related to, politicians and officials.

This could be a damaging blow to the cruise industry here.

Another factor not mentioned in the discussion of the crooks' recklessness or bravado robbing in the town center in broad daylight is the possible influence of drugs. Druggies desperate for their next fix are not the most rational or calculating people.
like I stated earlier, too many druggies on the street, that's why my family stay off the malecon. my family is street smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.