Gifts for Chicas

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
I bought my best friend a gas cooker - she will certainly struggle to get that down to the compraventa!!!!!
:laugh::laugh:

Rio

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
ok...i dont usually post on venus/mars (not enough experience on the issue :eek:) but this thread brought up a question for me.

im heading back to the DR this fall and i would like to get something for a male friend (ONLY a friend - sorry to disappoint ;)) who helped me out when i was there in february. i dont want to get anything too personal and ive always been bad at buying gifts for guys. im budgeting about $100-$150 USD. any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks.

Last edited:

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
ok...i dont usually post on venus/mars (not enough experience on the issue :eek:) but this thread brought up a question for me.

im heading back to the DR this fall and i would like to get something for a male friend (ONLY a friend - sorry to disappoint ;)) who helped me out when i was there in february. i dont want to get anything too personal and ive always been bad at buying gifts for guys. im budgeting about $100-$150 USD. any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks.

No need to spend that much. I nice cologne will do!!!!;)

I do not think cologne is THAT personal.

My opinion.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
If you just take a look at some of these tourist guys who admire the barrio chicas, believe me, you too will be convinced that a gift to the girls will be a prime prerequisite. I thought I was ugly but compared to the guys who come here, i feel like as if i am a richard gere lookalike. These guys have crooked brown/black stained teeth, gaps where you can pass a 5 peso coin and use it as tooth pick, messed up hair as if they have just gotten off the bed, they often don't shave, wear sneakers to bars, shorts, faded t-shirts, then to top it all off, they smoke cigars or cigarettes. yeah, no wonder they feel obligated to bring gifts to barrio chicas. they better or they will be replaced easily. There is a plane load full of these toms, dicks and harrys on the way. All fall in love with the same girls.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002

thanks.

Whiskey bottle from dutyfree. Johnny walker black label will do just fine.
AZB

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
thanks bronxboyatheart...

No need to spend that much. I nice cologne will do!!!!;)

I do not think cologne is THAT personal.

My opinion.

i thought about that and i agree with you in that cologne isnt THAT personal but i find it hard to pick something like that for other people bc even though i could love the smell, the person im giving it to might hate it. i guess its the thought that counts though, right?

AZB...thanks for your suggestion too. i think he is a whisky drinker so that might work!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
i thought about that and i agree with you in that cologne isnt THAT personal but i find it hard to pick something like that for other people bc even though i could love the smell, the person im giving it to might hate it. i guess its the thought that counts though, right?

You are welcome.

Dont know if you have a Macy's around you, but they have great gift sets.

I would recommend Dolce Cabana or Burberry.;)

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
You are welcome.

Dont know if you have a Macy's around you, but they have great gift sets.

I would recommend Dolce Cabana or Burberry.;)

there are no macy's stores in canada (well definitely not in vancouver) but my best friend lives in seattle and im there all the time so ill check it out.

both great suggestins...thanks again!

thanks.

Give him the cash, Thats what he wants

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Then save yourself the headache and give him nothing. I tried to help you but you people will never learn so carry on.

Yes. Not only that, this person wants to shell out $100-150 for a gift. WAAAAAAY too much.

If you must, a couple of bootleg Izod Lacoste polo shirts so he can feel like a hevito when he goes out.

If it makes you feel guilty about seeming cheap, we've already covered that.

Exactly what else do you need to know?

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
if he's JUST a friend and you're spending 100-150USD, be prepared to know that he will sell it and use the money on his "otra chicas".
my advice, budget 0-50USD.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Why is it necessary to earn someone's friendship in DR by giving them gifts? you folks must be very lonely in USA to come to DR to buy friendship with gifts and money. Do you feel if you won't give them anything, then perhaps, these same people will not value your company? To me, making friends is so easy that i don't even feel I have to do anything to attract anyone's attention. Just be yourself and be nice to people. It helps if you are entertaining, humorous and happy go lucky. This way people will feel good being in your company. No need to sit there like a silent tree log and then load them up with gifts to keep them interested in you.
AZB

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
gifts are a worldwide tradition not USA specific. you telling us you used your charm to get you a girl ? i've heard that santiago women are easy and desperate :laugh:

just kidding...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
gifts are a worldwide tradition not USA specific. you telling us you used your charm to get you a girl ? i've heard that santiago women are easy and desperate :laugh:

just kidding...

If you meet me in person, you will notice, i have nothing more to offer than my charm. :)
AZB

Sep 19, 2005
why is that people answer a question about what is a nice gift to buy someone with answer after answer of NOTHING!!!!!,

lets just say the hypothetical.............maybe they just WANT TO!!!!!

the op didnt ask ..."do you think I NEED to "

I have given kids on the street 5 or 10 pesos......I dont know them and I may never see them again.....no one would say I shouldnt...

or maybe they would here!!!!!!

these responses are similar to:

"what should i buy my wife for christmas, folks??"

and the op gets 5 answers like this: nothing!!! divorce the biatch!!!"

yeah that helps....

bad bob

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
why is that people answer a question about what is a nice gift to buy someone with answer after answer of NOTHING!!!!!,

lets just say the hypothetical.............maybe they just WANT TO!!!!!

the op didnt ask ..."do you think I NEED to "

I have given kids on the street 5 or 10 pesos......I dont know them and I may never see them again.....no one would say I shouldnt...

or maybe they would here!!!!!!

these responses are similar to:

"what should i buy my wife for christmas, folks??"

and the op gets 5 answers like this: nothing!!! divorce the biatch!!!"

yeah that helps....

bad bob

Good Boy, we got you trained well now.

Just answer the question asked people !