Girls Drowned in Hotel Pools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 4, 2010
Got my not yet two year old daughter an olympic child swimming instructor, after almost loosing her at a hotel pool. She still could not walk from a congenital condition, and was left sitting at the steps leading into the pool. I went around to talk to Arnold, the lifeguard, (so named because he was a look alike of Arnold Schwarzenegger). I swear I didn't take my eyes away from the girl for but only a few seconds, but when I looked back at the pool steps, she wasn't there. I panicked, and after what seemed ages, a small nose appeared in a ripple in the middle of the pool only to submerge again. I dove in immediately, fully clothed, and brought her the surface. Holy mackerel!, she was laughing! Arnold was unaware of the situation until after I brought Angela out of the water.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
With all due respect Major I like your posts but do you mind telling us what we "believe"????

Nothing complicated, Chip. It just that, if you believe
--- that blacks can't swim (naturally)
--- that blacks can't learn how to swim (naturally)
--- that blacks were never swimmers in the Olympics
--- (whatever)
JUST BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU BELIEVE.

Now, I understand how one can come to believe certain things ... so many experts repeat things until they become true (in one's mind). So, this is also something that I would tell to black kids. If someone tells THEM that they can't swim (or run, or anything else). And I hope that, by now, you will tell your daughters that they can swim (or learn to)!!!

Now, I know that ... NO ONE IN THIS THREAD SAID THAT BLACKS CANNOT SWIM ... but someone who reads this, just might take it in a different direction. :laugh:

Did that clear it up for you?

:cool:

Last edited:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Oh for Pete's sake! Physiologically black people have denser bones - fact. This means they usually find it harder to float - fact. Hence easier to drown. Yes they can learn to swim, but they have never won Olympic medals although have in I suspect every other Olympic sport. This is not a race issue this is a physiological issue. End of story.

Matilda

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Oh for Pete's sake! Physiologically black people have denser bones - fact. This means they usually find it harder to float - fact. Hence easier to drown. Yes they can learn to swim, but they have never won Olympic medals although have in I suspect every other Olympic sport. This is not a race issue this is a physiological issue. End of story.

Matilda

I will agree not to argue with this ... belief, madame.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Nobody is saying here that it is racial issue. Its just a fact. Fact is that black people can swim and run as good as any whites do if they get equal chances in being raised up in a culture where education and sport are part of normal standard basic life. Fact is that the best runners of the last two decades are black and that is not surprising at all. Now see how fast they move up in swimming, can't wait because I love the swimming disciplines on the Olympics.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Nothing complicated, Chip. It just that, if you believe
--- that blacks can't swim (naturally)
--- that blacks can't learn how to swim (naturally)
--- that blacks were never swimmers in the Olympics
--- (whatever)
JUST BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU BELIEVE.

Now, I understand how one can come to believe certain things ... so many experts repeat things until they become true (in one's mind). So, this is also something that I would tell to black kids. If someone tells THEM that they can't swim (or run, or anything else). And I hope that, by now, you will tell your daughters that they can swim (or learn to)!!!

Now, I know that ... NO ONE IN THIS THREAD SAID THAT BLACKS CANNOT SWIM ... but someone who reads this, just might take it in a different direction. :laugh:

Did that clear it up for you?

:cool:

Kindly show me where I said all of what you claim I have stated.

Here is actually what I said:

From what I have read I have heard blacks (and American Indian's) bones are the densest and that coupled with low body fat and smaller lung capacity it makes it more difficult for blacks to swim. Nonetheless, I was a lifeguard in a public pool in South Carolina and we had many black children and young adults swimming there without problems. The density problem can be mitigated by holding more air in the lungs. I learned this because as a skinny guy I had low buoyancy too. No doubt these(dominicans) kids aren't receiving the proper instruction. Still as a lifeguard in the States I learned many, many people drown every year in public pools, rivers and beaches.

I suppose I'm just going to have to assume you along with racer, greydread and azb would rather assume I said something or believe something rather than taking the time to read my posts. What a shame.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Kindly show me where I said all of what you claim I have stated.

Here is actually what I said:

I suppose I'm just going to have to assume you along with racer, greydread and azb would rather assume I said something or believe something rather than taking the time to read my posts. What a shame.

Kindly show me where I was talking about, or to you Chip ... THAT'S the real shame. Maybe you've been on that OTHER thread too long?

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
chip i think you read more into what major says than is there. he merely states that as a youth there was a general belief that blacks could not be good distance runners as points out the fallacy of this and gives the example of present day marathoners. he then relates it to black swimmers and gives an example by video of a promising black swimmer. i see nothing where he states what you believe (he uses the if in generalising and not personalising). sad that this thread has degraded into this as the original purpose was to warn of the dangers of kids of all ethnicity and pools.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
WOW....what a disaster of a thread!!!
It's comforting to see an innocent news post about a little girl drowning was easily be turned into a "Blacks can't swim" thread...WAY TO GO....What's next, "Asians are good at math" thread?

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Oh but they will win Olympic medals in swimming, give it somewhat more time.

Not sure what happened with my two posts here...

You won't have long to wait ... already happened ... (And yes, that's GOLD).

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yRRHZEYQaCw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Yep .. I think Chip misunderstood me. I was responding to his "tell me what we believe" question, and I think he forgot which thread he was in. This is NOT part of that OTHER argument .... (about schools and cheating???).

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Yep .. I think Chip misunderstood me. I was responding to his "tell me what we believe" question, and I think he forgot which thread he was in. This is NOT part of that OTHER argument .... (about schools and cheating???).

Ok major you made you point - somewhat. But you still directed a personal comment that about what I should teach to my daughters which made it a little personal as opposed to a mere conjecture that I think like apparently so many that think blacks are this that and so forth. BTW, I'm pretty certain you know I was being facetious too. :)

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
WOW....what a disaster of a thread!!!
It's comforting to see an innocent news post about a little girl drowning was easily be turned into a "Blacks can't swim" thread...WAY TO GO....What's next, "Asians are good at math" thread?

I think it relates to the topic, and I'll tell you why ....

There actually is "legitimate" concern and argument over this (whether blacks can swim) because if you think about it ... in the DR so many live near the water. Without an ability to swim, it could be dangerous for them. That is some of what what Matilda was saying, BTW. However, I just agree to disagree about WHY the lack of skill.

Bottom line ... all kids need to learn.

Last edited:

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Ok major you made you point - somewhat. But you still directed a personal comment that about what I should teach to my daughters which made it a little personal as opposed to a mere conjecture that I think like apparently so many that think blacks are this that and so forth. BTW, I'm pretty certain you know I was being facetious too. :)

I still owe you that drink (or dinner) ... haven't forgotten ... :cool:

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Well, if some body will lend me a public or private pool. I am willing to learn some local kids to swim here. Sounds like fun to do and gives me something more to do also here.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I think it relates to the topic, and I'll tell you why ....

There actually is "legitimate" concern and argument over this (whether blacks can swim) because if you think about it ... in the DR so many live near the water. Without an ability to swim, it could be dangerous for them. However, I just agree to disagree about WHY the lack of skill.

Bottom line ... all kids need to learn.

Major

I honestly think people aren't saying that blacks can't by their very nature swim only I and others have pointed out biological facts that give them a slight disadvantage. Not to worry, because I like many blacks suffered from low body fat and dense bones (or muscles) because I too could not float until I learned properly and yet was able to be a good lifeguard. Also, even though I was very fit at the time (a decent bicyclist and power lifter, bench 325 at 157 lbs) I was a slow swimmer because I am short and used to be in fact frustrated to have girls on the swimming team pass me by when I was swimming laps.

Status
Not open for further replies.