Habichuela con dulce: The Authentic Dominican Sweet

Do you like habichuela con dulce?

• Total voters

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
I LOVE it and it was one of the first dominican recipes I attempted. It is now an integral part of our Holy Week celebrations here in Canada - and in our extended families now too.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I like it in moderation but only when made with semi-skimmed milk instead of evaporated milk and a fraction of the sugar.
Habichuelas con Dulce Recipe (Dominican Sweet Cream of Beans)

It's also quite good when made with white beans (lima or butter beans) instead of red beans. In fact the first time I tasted habichuelas con dulce it was the white bean version.
Habichuelas blancas con ciruela - vainillayazafran

It may not be a unique Dominican concoction through. I've heard it may be a descendant of a Turkish dessert called ashure, possibly brought over by Middle Eastern immigrants along with kipe and tipili.
Ashure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
It may not be a unique Dominican concoction through. I've heard it may be a descendant of a Turkish dessert called ashure, possibly brought over by Middle Eastern immigrants along with kipe and tipili.
Ashure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The legend around it says that the recipe would first come to this country at the hands of a French colonial refugee from the western part of the island who ran by the name of Dorvo Soulastre. What I have found odd about the concept is that the dish is all but absent over there.

SkyBlues

Apr 8, 2011
Tried it Dominican style - no me gusta - then my Haitian friend convinced me to try hers - I was polite

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
this is, without any doubt, the food served in the darkest pitch of hell. it's disgusting, vile, nasty, hideous, revolting and loathsome. anyone who prepares it, serves it and eats it should be punished with at least a year in la victoria.

This, along with mamajuana. That is the Devils' Silly Juice. Whoever makes that disgusting crap deserves a stake driven through his heart.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
This, along with mamajuana. That is the Devils' Silly Juice. Whoever makes that disgusting crap deserves a stake driven through his heart.

Just because you doesn't like it doesn't mean you need to insult those that do

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Super-hot habichuelas con dulce: Heavenly

Asking another mod to conduct a poll on something I dislike, then posting about how much I dislike it: PRICELESS

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Warning, do not ever eat it after it has been sitting out in the hot sun for a few hours. My mother in law tried to warn me as I drank down my second small cup of the delicious beans.
Several hours later, I woke up in the middle of the night in panic. I was a guest in someone else's house, and for the first time in dozens of trips to the DR, the town was totally quiet, as well as the house. No dogs, motorcycles, chickens, music, NOTHING, totally quiet. To make matters worse, there was no water in the town. So there I was in the bathroom with a burned out light bulb, no water, a guest in someone else's house and the beans working their magic on my intestines. Long night. I felt like Jeff Daniels in the scene from Dumb and Dumber.

Why on God's green earth would one eat ANYTHING that's been out in the hot sun for several hours boggles my mind. I'd say you got a well deserved cleansing.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
As I said earlier in the thread, I like it. I've also tried - and liked - Havas con Dulce [made with lima beans]. Along the road in Sabana Grande de Palenque, before you reach the beach, there are several people who sell it.

Is the Havas version popular in other parts of DR?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
No options for me in the poll :)

I have never tried, but I really want to, just to see if it is as bad as everyone on DR1 seems to think. On paper, doesn't seem that bad though, there is hope :smoke:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
As I said earlier in the thread, I like it. I've also tried - and liked - Havas con Dulce [made with lima beans]. Along the road in Sabana Grande de Palenque, before you reach the beach, there are several people who sell it.

Habas :) I also suspect it's a southwestern tradition as I've only come across it there or made by people with SW connections. First time I tried them was in San Crist?bal or Ban?.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012

Yes, it is very popular in other parts of the DR. Every Dominican I've come across has
either heard of it or made it. In some regions of the country it is also made with guandules.

I first tasted it many years ago from the wife of an uncle who was from the Cibao region.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Just because you doesn't like it doesn't mean you need to insult those that do

oh, c'mon, you must admit that the negative posts about satan's signature dish are a lot funnier than the positive ones, right?

[B como burro, o V como vaca?]

this never works. most dominicans would write burro/baca, vurro/vaca or vurro/baca. :laugh:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
ABOUT 25 YEARS AGO A "FRIEND", brought me a big container of "Hab. con Dulce".
I had never tried them, loved them, and ate the whole container in one sitting!
I did a LOT of "SITTING" later that day!!!!!
I STILL have gas, and intestinal cramping!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC