Habichuela con dulce: The Authentic Dominican Sweet

Do you like habichuela con dulce?

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
you guessed right, i hate all this crap made of milk: dulce de leche, leche cortada, tres leche. FYI i also hate going to asian restaurants as they never have any decent deserts. so it's not that i spit on dominican sweets only. but i'm fine with most of dominican savoury dishes.
FYI, dulce de leche is not a Dominican sweet. Every country in Hispanic America has dulce de leche and they all have it as 'authentically [insert Hispanic nationality].'

Most people don't know that, first, all Hispanic countries have dulce de leche, and once that is known they still remain oblivious that the reason its so widespread is because its actually a Spanish sweet.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we learn something every day. my guess would be that all those milk based atrocities are made all over latin america, under different names and with some slight differences in a receta. isn't that so?

btw, where is matagallego from? good stuff.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The ingredients are in the house. Results later this week. I did try a little evaporated milk in my coffee about an hour ago and needless to say not feeling well so I need to go buy a substitute. If no one else in the family likes it I want to be able to freeze it and have it over time.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I can finally vote. I made it today and I love it hot or cold :)

2cf331l.jpg
[/IMG]

2u7x2e9.jpg

Sorry no idea how to make smaller and it won't work from my computer

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I used more beans than called for so it turned out nice and thick like pudding when I put it in the fridge. I don't eat many sweets so when I get that afternoon craving I have a small bowl, like 3 oz. I love cinnamon so I sprinkle a little more on top of my habichuela pudding. I put the sweet potatoes in the blender too ;)

Anna's version? :laugh:

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Looks like the above would go great with:

My mom use to make when i was a kid.

Rice and milk soup ( yep, salty, not a dessert )

Abichuela con dulce y:

View attachment 1783

I remember my grandmother making this from my childhood. She called it arroz con leche but without sugar, just milk and salt. Delicious! :)