Habichuela con dulce: The Authentic Dominican Sweet

Do you like habichuela con dulce?

• Total voters

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
this is, without any doubt, the food served in the darkest pitch of hell. it's disgusting, vile, nasty, hideous, revolting and loathsome. anyone who prepares it, serves it and eats it should be punished with at least a year in la victoria.

hahahahahahahaha

I dislike as well!!!! yuck....................

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Maybe because I like to eat baked beans straight from the can?

i eat baked beans straight from the can. yet HCD is just plain wrong. generally dominican sweets suck. just about the only things i can eat is flan and dulce de cajuil. the rest is just plain gross.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, it is very popular in other parts of the DR. Every Dominican I've come across has
either heard of it or made it. In some regions of the country it is also made with guandules.

I first tasted it many years ago from the wife of an uncle who was from the Cibao region.
OK then, my southwest hypothesis is based on coincidence.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
i eat baked beans straight from the can. yet HCD is just plain wrong. generally dominican sweets suck. just about the only things i can eat is flan and dulce de cajuil. the rest is just plain gross.

Dulce de cajuil is my second favorite after dulce de toronja which is more popular among los
campesinos in some regions. Los capitalenos prefer el dulce de naranja.

Very hard to find dulce de toronja in the capital. I either have to make it or go to el campo.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'm not fond of dulce de toronja/naranja. my MIL makes them and we always have some at home as miesposo loves those. to me it's really almost like marmalade/jam. not that dulce de cajuil looks any different :)

in season we collect bags of cajuil. i clean, prepare and freeze it. then deliver bags of frozen goodies to MIL who makes the sweet.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Dulce de cajuil is my second favorite after dulce de toronja which is more popular among los
campesinos in some regions. Los capitalenos prefer el dulce de naranja.

Very hard to find dulce de toronja in the capital. I either have to make it or go to el campo.

Nothing, and I mean, nooooooothing, can beat dulce de coco con leche banilejo, in my not so humble opinion.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I was in NY a few months ago. A relative bought habichuelas from a lady with a shopping cart in Washington Heights. I was also surprised to see another lady who sold chicharron and rat poison. lol

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Can I use just coconut milk? Not sure what evaporated will do to me but I tend to be lactose intolerant to milk.

I use almond milk for cereal.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Can I use just coconut milk? Not sure what evaporated will do to me but I tend to be lactose intolerant to milk.

I use almond milk for cereal.

Yes, you can. Just add the equivalent of any other milk required (whole or evaporated) plus the
amount of coconut milk called for in the recipe.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in baking i often use coconut milk as a replacement of normal milk because our lil' niece is allergic. so i agree with bronzie, it should be fine.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
I was in NY a few months ago. A relative bought habichuelas from a lady with a shopping cart in Washington Heights. I was also surprised to see another lady who sold chicharron and rat poison. lol

LOL! Tres pasitos!

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
This won't elicit elation from the elitists, but conc?n de dulce de leche is to die for. I could eat it every single day of my life and twice on Saturdays. Same goes for arroz blanco.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Dulce de leche cortada is delicious!

Cortado2.JPG

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's as nasty as it gets. give me mondongo every day but keep all the sweets.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
La Tierra Santa de Salvale?n de Hig?ey is home to the country's best dulce de leche, with La Otra Banda being the craddle of chicharr?n de leche. And it's all due to la ganader?a. But you won't be able to stop at a dulcer?a and ask for conc?n de dulce de leche and expect to have it on the spot. You can't even buy it from street vendors. You must go to the source--where the dulces are actually made--and order it way in advance.

But I actually hope you all hate it: the more you hate it, the more I get.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
By the way, folks, I never came around to publish my one little book: It's a Delicacy in Japan!

While not a magnum opus ? la Junot D?az or even an attempt at Dominicanizing David Sedaris, it was supposed to be fun... at the expense of those super-duper elitists who could eat anything, even if it's twice-regurgitated food from a dying dog... just as long as the dog is Finnish, American, Japanese or from any "developed" country. Just make sure the dog is not Dominican.

"Hey, gringo, here's some locrio de longaniza, con aguacate y fritos maduros, y una ensaladita."

DR1 gringo: "Yuck! You gonna eat THAT?!"

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you guessed right, i hate all this crap made of milk: dulce de leche, leche cortada, tres leche. FYI i also hate going to asian restaurants as they never have any decent deserts. so it's not that i spit on dominican sweets only. but i'm fine with most of dominican savoury dishes.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what i consider to be good sweets: Moje Wypieki
the website is on polish but obviously you can use google translate. luckily for my weight i am too stupid to bake cakes so i only look at pictures...