Haiti has no chance of improvement

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Nation building after totally destroying it certainly hasn't had much of a track record lately. I don't think Haiti is capable of figuring it out for themselves. They've passed the point of no return.
They why waste time and treasure on an impossible "cause?"

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
You're describing: Jean-Bertrand Aristide

They guy survived so many assassination attempts that he was almost immortal. Unfortunately, the CIA eventually bundled him up and put him on a plane. By the time they returned him to power, the narcotraffickers owned the country.

I bought a book on him that I'm looking forward to amazon delivering.
Many say he was in league with the narcos.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
And then there are forces that wish to unify the DR with Haiti. Why? To bring down the DR to that level too?

The increasing inequality between the two countries needs to be dealt with. There are two ways to do that: 1. rise Haiti to DR’s level (they need 100 consecutive years of economic growth of at least 7% to reach the DR’s current level -even if Haiti was able to do that, the DR would need to stall during those 100 years so the gap with Haiti can be reduced or eliminated-, and I’m not even exaggerating) or 2. bring the DR down to Haiti’s level (as with everything in life, destroying takes less effort and happens quicker than building up). 

There are people with other ideas, such as believing that if both countries were united it would improve the situation on both sides. Sounds nice, but its completely impractical. There are two realistic solutions to the inequality between the two countries with one proving to be nearly impossible for Haiti to acheive.

Last edited:

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
The increasing inequality between the two countries needs to be dealt with. There are two ways to do that: 1. rise Haiti to DR’s level (they need 100 consecutive years of economic growth of at least 7% to reach the DR’s current level -even if Haiti was able to do that, the DR would need to stall during those 100 years so the gap with Haiti can be reduced or eliminated-, and I’m not even exaggerating) or 2. bring the DR down to Haiti’s level (as with everything in life, destroying takes less effort and happens quicker than building up). 

There are people with other ideas, such as believing that if both countries were united it would improve the situation on both sides. Sounds nice, but its completely impractical. There are two realistic solutions to the inequality between the two countries with one proving to be nearly impossible for Haiti to acheive.

I agree with you. Why would DR want to tie itself to a "one-legged dog"? (so to speak)

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
and you think Americans, Canadians, and Europeans can do more than a band aid, right?

i am all ears. tell me why you think so...

Like I said before, I think they're the only ones with the necessary money and resources. Whom do you think could do it? What's your solution?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Yes, of course. There are countless examples in history were things were impossibly bad, but eventually, the ship rights itself.

One thing that would help is to make the NGO's accountable for measurable improvements. As is, they just perpetuate the current system (and themselves) and even foster learned helplessness and corruption.

Also, it would great if the USA/CIA didn't meddle in internal politics. Generally, powers get invited in by a faction or factions and I can't think of a single example where this worked well. It generally results in blow back as it did with:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Bertrand_Aristide

When the military Junta had to be forced out of power.
Can you point me to any country as dysfunctional as Haiti that became "normal?"

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Are we to assume that several African countries are 'recuperated'....

Despots, dictators.... not fixed yet , to my knowledge

might not be possible after havoc reigns....

who takes charge?

Other countries ?
Hasn't the USA proved that don't work?
think Middle East...or VietNam

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
As I've been saying for years. Haiti's problems need to be solved
by Haitian people on Haitian soil. No amount of money anyone throws
at that country is going to make a difference..

Reminds me of what I tell the beggars in the streets back home when
they ask me for change... "change" I say, "change comes from within"

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Like I said before, I think they're the only ones with the necessary money and resources. Whom do you think could do it? What's your solution?

i have made a conscious decision not to discuss matters with a racial quotient with people who apparently do not get it. it just aggravates me, and my blood pressure is critical to good vibes.

if you do not see how grotesque the acoustics are when you suggest that the worlds first black independent republic can only be saved by the mercies and ministrations of white countries, why would i choose to talk with you?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
As I've been saying for years. Haiti's problems need to be solved
by Haitian people on Haitian soil. No amount of money anyone throws
at that country is going to make a difference..

Reminds me of what I tell the beggars in the streets back home when
they ask me for change... "change" I say, "change comes from within"
Yup.

Let Hatians have Haiti and figure out how to fix their problems their way. We and other nations need to butt out. We caused enough problems already.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
And they are past the point of no return due to the interference of other nations. Instead of teaching the Haitians how to govern, educate themselves, sustain themselves, etc..The "nation builders" entered and did what they always do. They never try to understand the root cause of the issues. They just barrell in and try to do it their way. Heck, the form of democracy that most foreign countries want for Haiti, just won't work. It may take generations to fix what's wrong with that country.

Please pause for a minute, focus on the portion in bold, and ask yourself how that sounds.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Please pause for a minute, focus on the portion in bold, and ask yourself how that sounds.

Like they have failed to do it themselves. I know what you are getting at, but the fact remains that they are a failed state. Everyone will observe that Haitians in the DR are hard working and reasonably honest, when comparing them to Dominicans. Many of those that have migrated are very sucessful in their new country. Haiti's biggest problem is they have had a very, very serious brain drain of their best and brightest and those people have no incentive to ever go back.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008

A pro-colonial argument for sure. Still, one can't help but share in Victor Schoelcher*'s bitterness when he pointed his finger at them (despite being one of their earliest, warmest, enthusiasts for their independence), and accusing them of giving the enemies of African freedom the most ready arguments against emancipation, seeing what 200 something years of freedom have availed them. I know, European (and ours) ill will hasn't helped. Notwithstanding this, we would be doing them a disservice by believing them to have had no agency of their own in their eventual fate.

* = Celebrated French abolitionist, who toured the Caribbean in his efforts to push emancipation throughout the West Indian colonial world at the time (1830's and 40's).

nrg2003

Jul 25, 2017
I don't think it's that extreme. Wealthy Haitians live just fine. Mansions, butlers, nice cars, etc. How can you *allegedly* live in the DR and be this ignorant? 

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I read that that is true ... nrg2003

I saw a line of Haitians looking for medical care once.
The local vet offered help on Thursday afternoons... he was former volunteer in Africa etc.

You see the hopelessness and futility ...

They ranged from -
She;s dehydrated and hungry - give her an IV & an Ensure

to -
That's cancer - nothing I can do for him (literally, that short comment)

A resolution as we know it or want it may not be possible

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
and you think Americans, Canadians, and Europeans can do more than a band aid, right?

i am all ears. tell me why you think so...

I think that any country could try to solve the issues; but to no avail.
When the Papa Doc and Baby Doc Dictators were in charge things were different.
Maybe a corrupt Benevolent Dictator would do well....
I compare Haiti to Calcutta India .... almost same situation as in PAP.
I am too old to give hope.

Russell

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I think that any country could try to solve the issues; but to no avail.
When the Papa Doc and Baby Doc Dictators were in charge things were different.
Maybe a corrupt Benevolent Dictator would do well....
I compare Haiti to Calcutta India .... almost same situation as in PAP.
I am too old to give hope.

Russell

until such time as i am presented with evidence to the contrary, i am of the belief that Haiti has no solution. only minor incremental steps can be taken, such as a small, selective tourist industry, catering to a certain demographic, but not a wide scale one such as the DR has..small, concentrated improvements, but nothing on any grand scale, in the short run. there is just too much catching up to do.

K-Mel

Apr 15, 2012
Well this post is not so optimistic, it reminds Samuel Johnson's quote about those who founded and populated the USA at the beginning of the colonial era:

"Americans are a race of convicts and ought to be thankful for anything we allow them short of hanging"

We wish well to Haiti and any third world countries who pass through tough moments, the sun will rise one day for all of them GOD willing. Greedy Western imperialism has unfortunately created Haiti...And has worked skillfully/scientifically during centuries to keep its head very low under the water. When you add to the equation all the corrupts leaders (supported by that same Western imperialism) who led Haiti, it will take unfortunately generations to find the right "tuning" to solve Haiti's issues.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Well this post is not so optimistic, it reminds Samuel Johnson's quote about those who founded and populated the USA at the beginning of the colonial era:

We wish well to Haiti and any third world countries who pass through tough moments, the sun will rise one day for all of them GOD willing. Greedy Western imperialism has unfortunately created Haiti...And has worked skillfully/scientifically during centuries to keep its head very low under the water. When you add to the equation all the corrupts leaders (supported by that same Western imperialism) who led Haiti, it will take unfortunately generations to find the right "tuning" to solve Haiti's issues.

you and i can share common ground on why Haiti is the way it is. it is firmly placed in a very dire situation, which, at least for now, appears hopeless. the last thing it needs is more of the same medication, ie white countries intervening in its affairs. one of the scholars i admired most since i was a very young man is the late Walter Rodney, whom i met while he was at the University of the West Indies. he wrote a masterpiece called How Europe Underdeveloped Africa. anyone who wishes to embark on the journey of any serious discussion of the past, present, and future of Haiti has to read books of that stature to develop a basis of reasoning. this is not a subject for superficial musings between drinks on the malecon.