He wants to pay for everything

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
My Sankie Friends

With a much higher probability that google comes up with the term "sankie" in any search about Dominicans you will meet one in the tourism sector.
Nobody here has so far condemned the whole nation because of its love clowns who seem to be a latin feature and especially in this country.

BTW, sankies are not "bad" or criminals, they only exploit their skills and ... yes, their victims. This is done in the most "loving" way ....
I for one have nothing against sankies, in fact I have friends among them and I do like their stories which sometimes bring me to tears of laughter.

Why don't you, notion, just go ahead and get your share of the game and report to us - maybe in about a year's time ....

m'frog

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
For the person who asked why it is that they are coined sankies- This exists in every country were there all-inclusive hotels. The difference is most places don't have a name for them or they are termed with an american name such a player ect. DR just happens to use a specific name for the people.

Generalizations are generalizations, you have to access each case as you see it. I was an animator so does that mean I am a sankiette??? Not even close. Their are also people working in Animation who don't come from poor homes that do have educations but were recruited by el Director de animacion to work in their hotels. Nobody wants to go on Vacation and watch some person sing keroke----> the bosses go out and do whatever they can to find good dancers and singers, some which have exclusive training in dance or music for example.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
When opportunity knocks

mofi said:
No body wants to go on Vacation and watch some person sing keroke----> the bosses go out and do whatever they can to find good dancers and singers, some which have exclusive training in dance or music for example.
Most will seize it .... there are rare exceptions but, most people on Animation teams see tourists as WU agents.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
notion said:
Hi!
I recently met a guy from the Dominican Republic on a cruise ship. Allegedly he fell in love with me. I told him that there's no future for us because I don't have the money to come and see him and that time is also an issue.
He wants me to come back over christmas and is offering to pay for the cruise (at least ?1000 only for a cabin and food, drinks and tips would go extra). He says he would get me a cabin close to staff quarters and that he would invite me as his girlfriend which means that we could behave like a couple not like personell and guest.
I wonder whether he's a sankie though because of all this falling in love head over heels stuff.
I could imagine falling in love with him but I haven't yet, time was just too short. And reading about all this sankie-stuff now makes me doubt everything he said. Then again - he can't be after my money. I haven't got any and he knows that... Confusing!
Does he sound like a sankie to you?

How long have you known this guy?

notion

Oct 2, 2005
I was not gonna post anymore, but it seems impolite not to answer questions.
I've known him for 1 month.

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
So you know of him you don't actually know him then. 1 month isn't enough time to know anyone never mind a latino male.

notion

Oct 2, 2005
Never said it was enough time, never said I know him inside out. Read my first post - I said "met", I said "time was too short".

My God you're really particular here.

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
No not being particular at all, but you can't really know a latino guy in that short a period of time. You could spend 6 months with him and still not know what went on before you.

notion

Oct 2, 2005
You're telling me nothing new, Mofi. I don't understand why you feel you need to emphasize this point!?
I think it's quite normal that it needs a long time to get to know someone, maybe with a latino guy even longer. I don't think even I can be known within a month's time. But it's the same everywhere in the world - you think you know someone and one day it turns out you don't. Can always happen.
Spending time with someone does however improve the chance of actually getting to know him/her.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
notion said:
I was not gonna post anymore, but it seems impolite not to answer questions.
I've known him for 1 month.

Hello there :)

One month is a short time. But this is just my opinion.

It is your life and your decision. But I do not want to see you get hurt.

If I were you, I would take it slowly.

Good luck.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Here for certain

notion said:
....But it's the same everywhere in the world - you think you know someone and one day it turns out you don't. Can always happen.
Spending time with someone does however improve the chance of actually getting to know him/her.

These statements, though true in many parts of the world, do not mean anything in this country.
There are things which CAN happen in any other place but WILL for sure happen here.
Take care.

m'frog

notion

Oct 2, 2005
I'm gonna fly over next weekend and spend two weeks with him to get to know him a little bit better (and to find out whether he's a sankie ;) ).
I'm on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster, intrigued, scared, excited, flattered, ...
Fortunately I'm totally broke, so that "You gotta pay for everything cause I'm the girl" thing is not gonna be that difficult for me anymore. :cross-eye

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
notion said:
I'm gonna fly over next weekend and spend two weeks with him to get to know him a little bit better (and to find out whether he's a sankie ;) ).
I'm on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster, intrigued, scared, excited, flattered, ...
Fortunately I'm totally broke, so that "You gotta pay for everything cause I'm the girl" thing is not gonna be that difficult for me anymore. :cross-eye

Good luck and be careful. We do not want to see you get hurt.

Best of luck!!! :classic: