He wants to pay for everything

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
I must say you sound as though your'e listening to the advise being offered. But, with no money, how are you going to deal with being in the D.R. if it turns out to be as others have cautioned? Where are you flying in from? John

notion

Oct 2, 2005
Hi duhtree,
I'm flying in from Germany but I won't be going to the DR (see post #1) but visit him at his work place - a cruise ship. I found that safer, you cannot disappear easily. ;) Everything is paid for; apart from excursions, some drinks and tips. Buit I can go ashore on my own, drink the free drinks and the tips - well, we'll see. I'm gonna take some money with me, maybe $2-300, for a cab from the airport to the pier (I have no idea how much that will be) and emergencies. After all I won't be spending any money on food, telephone and all the other things I need when Im at home.

Uh, I admit to being scared but I'm trying to be positive - it's a great trip (Middle America), I'm sure I'll be enjoying myself even if things should turn sour between him and me (while the head over heels stuff still remains the only indicator that he could be a sankie).

Thank you for your concern. :nervous:
notion

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
Yeah, I went back and read post#1. Question : Your'e flying into where ? And for how much ? Where are you meeting the ship ?
I believe that girl friends, fiancees, family members, wives are accommadated at a special rate of taxes and port charges. I could be wrong. And the cabin is with the crew and probably shared.
When you say " at least 1000 do you mean that is how much he can pay or is that the " cost " of the cruise and he will pick up those charges ?
Thanks for your replies, Notion. John

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Eine Seefahrt, die ist lustig....

duhtree said:
.... And the cabin is with the crew and probably shared.

Well, isn't that what she is longing for?

Tranquilo, let her do the trip, enjoy the bolts and screws of a cruise ship and then we'll see... :tired:

m'frog

notion

Oct 2, 2005
Hi!
No, the cabin isn't shared, I've got my own. Even family etc. is not allowed in crew quarters and also - I hardly know this guy, I'm not gonna share a cabin with him just yet.
Because I'm going now instead of christmas it's probably more than 1000$, I know I would have had to pay about 4000 Euros if I had booked this trip with a TA. He got me a flight to LAX, don't know how much for.
Uhm, have I answered all your questions or did I overlook anything? :)

notion

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
Thats still pretty expensive though. One of my friends who used to work for Royal Carribean said that well she was working she could bring family/significant other on the cruise, they had to pay to get to the port that it was leaving from, but that cruising itself was only $15 aday....Not sure what cruiseline your guy works for but if you continuing investing time into him you may want to look into this option.

notion

Oct 2, 2005
Hi mofi,
sorry I don't quite get this. Which option do you mean? To go on a cruise that he is working on? Well, that's what I'm doing. The earliest he may be able to get out of his contract is January.
Whether my being there will cost him only $15 a day, I don't know, I doubt it, because that seems very little considering food, entertainment etc. on offer, but I never asked. Maybe I should find out - would make that "princess-thing" again a lot easier. :D

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
I dunno. I am just basing this on what one of my friends told me that used to work for Royal Carribean for a year. At 15 dollars aday if i knew someone crusing that i wanted to spend a considerable amount of time with, I could go multiple times per year.

Apparently staff can get some deal for family/significant others ect. But who knows.

notion

Oct 2, 2005
Hi!
Anna asked me for an update on my story (here: http://dr1.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=359996 )

Anna Coniglio said:
BTW notion have you gone on your trip yet? The one where he was offering to pay for everything?

We want to hear a good story so if it all turned out well we'd like to hear about.

Thanks

Okay, so let me tell you what happened...

I must admit that as the day of my flight was getting closer I was getting more and more scared. Scared about how my life would change if I started to care for him more than I already did.
And as stupid as it may sound - I was still thinking that the whole thing might be a prank, some sort of silly bet between crew members "I bet you I can get her to the pier within 2 months of her first cruise" and they'd all stand and look down from the ship and laugh.
With all that in mind I still packed a massive suitcase and boarded the plane to L.A. almost two months ago. I had to spend one night in a hotel because I might've missed the ship if I only arrived on the day that it was leaving.
He was somewhere between Cabo San Lucas and L.A. at that point, working. I left him a message on his cell that I had arrived and tried to get some sleep. (Which didn't work by the way.)

He sent my a text message at 6 o'clock in the morning that they'd just be coming into L.A. and that he's call me as soon as he knew the pier number. I should just take it easy until then. About ninish he called back, telling me the number and that I should get a cab, he'd be at the pier just after ten.
Although the taxi ride was pretty long, I was early so I sat around at the pier for a bit, watching the passengers get off the ship and indulging in my morbid prank fantasy. I wasn't even that nervous probably because I hadn't slept for more than 30 minutes in the last 30 hours.
At some stage I recognized crew walking past and shortly afterwards I saw him. I just stayed put and watched him look for me. Man, I'm so cool! ;) But when he came over my heart jumped and we hugged and I was very happy that I had made the decision to go back to see him. It turned out he's an officer after all, not a high rank one, but still.
It took some time to get onboard. He imagined everything to go a lot smoother and after the ordeal I basically knew that I was the first he'd ever invited on board. He was kicking himself for having been that laid back about the whole procedure, but I think he can't help himself, he's Dominican and "mas tarde" is one of his favourite phrases (not that he ever said it to me, I get a lot of "no te preocupes").
Anyway I got on board and I got my own cabin (in the crew area) the next day. The first nigt I had to spend iin his cabin because they still didn't know which cabins would be free. It works the same way as with flight attendants. You can have anyone cruise with you but you have to wait and see whether there are any stand-by cabins left over. But staying the night at his cabin was okay and nothing happened. I was already fast asleep by the time he got back from work.
When I got my own cabin, he brought me a bunch of flowers and made sure that the cabin attendant would really treat me as a guest despite my staying in the crew area. He'd also bought me loads of presents. Souvenirs from CostaRica, a book about the cruise and a webcam, so that we could chat when I'm gone again. I only gave him some chocolate, a few postcard and a self-made music CD.
Okay, what else... He obviously had to work but I could call him whenever I felt like it and he'd always come to talk to me when he saw me around. If things weren't that busy he'd even sit down with me. We spent all of his breaks together, mainly in the crew area because as long as he's in public areas he's automatically considered on duty. At dinner he sat me with some very nice people and he'd serve us wine and he'd pay for it. My table companions were well impressed and soon the word spread that I'm his girlfriend. That's hwo he introduced me to his friends and his boss, too, even the captain knew who I was. It was so funny! Because I knew he's also be judged by my behaviour I tried to be just as polite and helpful as the crew and at the end of a cruise someone wanted to put my name down as an outstanding crew member.
Anyway - he took time off as much as he could, so that we actually got off the ship at every port together (apart from one and a half). He'd thought about what sort of things we could do together, tours, jet skiing, paragliding etc. But after the first tour (which cost a bomb) I told him that I'd rather just spend time with him talking because after all the whole trip was supposed to be about getting to know each other. So from then on we just went to the beach for a swim or for something to eat or shopped for souvenirs and just talked a lot about family and life and past relationships etc.
I think I got to know him a lot better.
We got on very well in all aspects apart from one - the money. I know it's only good and fair or whatever if he pays for everything but I found it too much. Once I went ashore on my own because it was only a short stop and he was working and he gave me 50$ to spend and told me to buy him certain souvenirs. I took a long time choosing them and got some small things for myself. When I gave him the souvenirs and the rest of the money, he wanted me to keep both. I'm sure he never actually wanted the souvenirs he just wanted to buy me something but because I always said "no" he thought he'd trick me. The things I bought weren't enough. I promised that he'd be allowed to buy me something some other time and made him keep the stuff and the rest of the money. On our last day ashore however he went to a jewellery store and sent my for a walk. After a while he found me, took me to the shop and showed me the pieces of jewellery he had chosen. They were three sets necklaces with matching earrings. One of them I didn't like and when I said that, he went ahead and just bought me the other two. Then he also insisted on paying for the souvenirs I brought my mum and dad.
Just as well that I had read your remarks here beforehand, otherwise it would've been a lot harder for me to accept all these presents. But it was just like you said - for him it was normal or even a must that he'd pay for everything. End of discussion!

Okay, this is a really long post already - so let me wrap the story up.
It was very tough to leave him after the two weeks, I've grown quite attached to him. He makes me laugh a lot and we can talk very well and he does make feel very good because he's so proud to have me at his side.
I guess others would say we're in somewhat of a long-distance-relationship now although I shy away from calling him my boyfriend. In all the time since we met (4 months)we spent so little time with each other (approx. 4 weeks) how can you call that a "relationship". We speak on the phone about twice to three time a week and write e-mails almost daily.
He's supposed to leave the ship in mid-February, we will see what happens then. Maybe I'll visit him in the the DR, maybe we'll try to get him a tourist visa. It's still not decided.
Because I know that money is always an issue in the discussion here I better tell you that I have spent some money on him now - I sent him a christmas present and a birthday presents. Neither of which has arrived yet by the way, I hope they still will, especially because one of them is an album with all the pictures that were taken of us (and man does he like picture taking I felt almost like a Japanese..).

Okay, so that's my story!
I doubt anyone has any questions but if you do - just shoot!
Kudos to anyone who's actually read the whole post!
But Anna asked! :D

greetz
notion

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
miguel said:
Tell him that if he wants you there, to pay for EVERTHING, including the drinks and tips. Tell him to send you the money ahead of time.

I have a genuine question. Why is it okay for this guy to pay for this particular girl's trip but on a recent thread, you had a hissy fit when I suggested to the poster that she let her guy pay for her trip?

I think you had a problem with my sugestion because in your eyes, it wasn't safe and the girl would somehow be "obligated" to the guy because he paid for everything.

What is the difference here?

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
here she comes again!!.

sunshine_79 said:
I have a genuine question. Why is it okay for this guy to pay for this particular girl's trip but on a recent thread, you had a hissy fit when I suggested to the poster that she let her guy pay for her trip?

I think you had a problem with my sugestion because in your eyes, it wasn't safe and the girl would somehow be "obligated" to the guy because he paid for everything.

What is the difference here?
Again, before you quote me, be very careful and read my posts a few times before doing such. I think that I am just way to smart for you.

The difference is that I know for a fact, not you of course, that a man making a few hundred dollars a week WILL NOT pay someone that he knows nothing about, air fare to catch a boat, the cruise room(not the employee's room) and board, food, drinks, entertainment, tips and give her spending money. We are not talking about Donald Trump here. In case you did not get my post, I WROTE: PAY FOR EVERYTHING. Not just part, EVERYTHING!.

If you know that he PAID for ALL of the above, then I will swallow my pride and admit that I was wrong on this one but if you don't know that he did, instead of quoting me, why not ask the OP if he did instead of making an axx of yourself.

Let me help you a little, on both threads, this one and the one with the resort worker, "think big picture".

If you really take the time to read and understand my posts, you will see for yourself that I feel the same way about both situations!. Need I say more?.

Last edited:

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
miguel said:
Again, before you quote me, be very careful and read my posts a few times before doing such. I think that I am just way to smart for you.

Yes Miguel, we all know that you consider yourself an intelligent person. We've heard you say so a million times so I don't think I need reminding.

As far as me making an "axx" out of myself - why do you believe this to be so? If someone does not agree with you or questions something you've posted, they're making an axx of themselves?

I think sometimes you forget that this is a message board where most of the posts are merely opinions. Therefore, unless a post is backed up cold, hard facts, everything we read and post on this board are just that - opinions.

Your opinion is not the only one that has merit.

Again, I'm sorry to hear that you're so intolerant of people when they disagree with you or question you. That's too bad because I would think someone of your intelligence level would have the virtue of benevolence. If you were some illiterate poster who never had anything of worth to contribute then it wouldn't matter. But since you do, I find it especially disheartening that you resort to insulting people who don't necessarily share your same views.

But then again, that's just my opinion.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
But...

sunshine_79 said:
Yes Miguel, we all know that you consider yourself an intelligent person. We've heard you say so a million times so I don't think I need reminding.

As far as me making an "axx" out of myself - why do you believe this to be so? If someone does not agree with you or questions something you've posted, they're making an axx of themselves?

I think sometimes you forget that this is a message board where most of the posts are merely opinions. Therefore, unless a post is backed up cold, hard facts, everything we read and post on this board are just that - opinions.

Your opinion is not the only one that has merit.

Again, I'm sorry to hear that you're so intolerant of people when they disagree with you or question you. That's too bad because I would think someone of your intelligence level would have the virtue of benevolence. If you were some illiterate poster who never had anything of worth to contribute then it wouldn't matter. But since you do, I find it especially disheartening that you resort to insulting people who don't necessarily share your same views.

But then again, that's just my opinion.
I am a true believer that "opinions are like axx holes, EVERYBODY has one". That's the reason why I an true believes in OPINIONS.

The thing with you is that you are not trying to form an opinion or inquire about something that you want to understand, you are trying to discredit someone, as in catching him/her, in a lie. In this case me.

All I am saying is that your question could had been answered by yourself if you really knew a little bit about what people, in this case, me, post here.

Not everything is black and white. If you really take time to understand a person's rationale (?), you can avoid a few smart-axx questions that can be answered without even asking a question.

I will say it again and again, SOME people here DO a dis-service to new members, I try NOT to be one of them. Maybe I am, but I am not trying to.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I have a request please

Can we for once just be happy that someone's experience turned out fine.

Thanks

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
Well Notion, I am very glad that everything went well for you. Keep us updated on anything.

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
miguel said:
If you know that he PAID for ALL of the above, then I will swallow my pride and admit that I was wrong on this one but if you don't know that he did, instead of quoting me, why not ask the OP if he did instead of making an axx of yourself.

Yes, he paid for everything. I know that he paid for everything, per Notion, that is why I asked you that question to begin with.

I don't understand why you suggested I was trying to catch you in a "lie". That's a very childish thing to do and I wouldn't lower myself to such substandard behavior.

If you re-read my original post, I began it with: I have a genuine question.

How does that equate to me being a smart ass or trying to catch you in a lie? It was an honest question and I was honestly interested in hearing your opinion regarding the difference between the two situations.

Why could you not simply explain instead of resorting to insulting me?

And as far as me doing a dis-service, I think you need to rethink your choice of wording. In order for me to do a disservice, I would have been attempting to do some kind of service in the first place which I'm not and never will.

When I post, I'm merely stating my opinion and offering suggestions. I'm not under any delusions of grandeur that my posts in the Sankie forum are going to change the world.

Sometimes I think you get too caught up in these posts and take everything much too seriously.

Another point I would like to touch on is that you are always reminding people that since you lived in the DR and are Dominican, you have better insights into many isues regarding life in the DR, relationships, etc. Nobody has argued with that. But can you also not comprehend that sometimes us girls might have some more insight into issues regarding women?

Just as I will never truly think like a Dominican, you will never truly think like a woman.

Miguel, you are a nice person but I think you are severely lacking when it comes to the area of tolerance. I can see that you obviously cannot handle somebody disagreeing with you without belittling them and calling them names. That's too bad because I think deep down inside, you're better than that.

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Indeed!

Anna Coniglio said:
I have a request please

Can we for once just be happy that someone's experience turned out fine.

Thanks
Correct Anna.

I am happy that she is ok. But....

I do have my reservations after she wrote: "maybe we'll try to get him a tourist visa". Why try anything after knowing someone, anyone, for such little time. Remember the saying: "SOME men would do anything in order to get what they want?. Then again, what do I know.

Good luck is in order and "walk" with caution!.

Sunnie, 3 things: 1- again, you were NOT agreeing of disagreen with me, all you wanted me to do was to describe or explain about something that did not needed an explination. A little common sense was all that was needed in understanding what was written. 2- I think that I skipped the sentence where she wrote that he paid for her room, can you point it out for me. Also where she said that he paid for her air fare and EVERYTHING that she consumed?. 3- I do not need to be a woman to understand them, raised by one and grew up with 2 sisters. I don't claim to know EVERYTHING about women but it does not takes an engineer to know when someone is not thinking rationally.

I will not keep hijacking this thread so feel free to start a thread about me and then we can "talk" about everything you wnat to know.

Last edited:

notion

Oct 2, 2005
Miguel,
you do realize that I wrote whatever I wrote knowing full well what sort of reactions I'd be getting? But I don't see any point in lying.

I was totally opposed to even trying to get him a tourist visa, not realizing that I wouldn't be able to get him one anyway. You need a salary for that and I'm a student, I don't have any money, especially not that kind you need to have to invite a Dominican.
My dad would have to vouch for him and has offered to do so, because he thinks the world of him. He could not relate to my worries at all, he's convinced that my guy isn't a fraud. Actually my dad's judgement means a lot to me. I trust it more than my own.
So, it wasn't my Dominican, it wasn't even me who came up with the visa-idea, it was my dad.

But a tourist-visa is only one of the options and we probably won't apply for until March at the earliest because obviously he needs to be in the DR for that and it'd be nice if I actually was here and had some time for him when he comes over, so August or something would suit me best.
But - I haven't discussed any of that with him yet. Right now we're waiting for his name to come up on the list of people allowed to sign off. There's no point in making any plans at this time.

It'll be interesting what will happen once he has left the ship and is back in the DR. I would very much like to visit him there, see how he lives and meet his huge family. And I know that he'll be paying for the flight and everything else I need or wish for, just as he did last time. Yes, he did pay for everything, every single drink, full board, my cabin (I could've had a suite but I didn't want it because he wouldn't have been allowed in it and it would've been 7 decks up from his cabin), the airfare from Germany, the cab rides, the tips etc. He wouldn't have it any other way, that's the way he is.

In any case I'm not too emotionally involved to pull the emergency brake should I smell something fishy. Often I actually feel that he's putting a lot more heart into the whole thing than I am which makes me feel really bad.

But I do understand your doubts and hesitation, Miguel! Thank you for your concern and advice! I appreciate it a lot and promise to be careful.

notion

notion

Oct 2, 2005
stormer said:
Well Notion, I am very glad that everything went well for you. Keep us updated on anything.

Thank you! :)
I let you know if anything particularly good or bad happens.