HELP ASAP!!! my dominican BF playing me? part1000!

VVV

Feb 6, 2007
Hi,
I have the usual story; went on vocation, met this DDD guy, had a wonderful time... I didn't expect much but decided to stay in touch, why not.. and he seemed really nice until now; he called me and said that there is this opportunity, I think its from his university, to go to US and work there for the summer. Kind of like an exchange program.
And for that he needs $2,000. He has $1,500 and he is asking me to lend him $500.
I am not giving him any money. But just out of curiosity do programs like this exist in DR? And if they do; $2,000??? Sound way too much for it!
Thanks!

Sep 19, 2005
yes my GFs has some friends that looked into it...it was about $1,000 that I heard....which seems like a lot of money to do paper work to get a work visa....

the sketchy part to me is that you pay when you apply... ha ha ha

bob

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
These do exist. My nephew is currently in The US in such a program...but it depends on what he's studying (i.e. Tourism). This is not to say that he's not playing you..., but the programs do exist. How advanced is he in his career?

VVV

Feb 6, 2007
thanks for the replay!

so the way it works you apply and there is no guarantee to get into the program??
is it an affordable price in DR?

that it is definitly a red flag...right?:ermm:

VVV

Feb 6, 2007
he is in his second year studying marketing. His English is really good.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
If you feel charitable and expect NEVER to see the money again by all means send it.
Of course you may just be paying his cell phone bill to make calls to his 'novias' but then again you do enjoy talking to him don't you???

Sep 19, 2005
send me the money instead then bang your head against the wall for 30 seconds.....

over all you will be better off.......

I think

well one of us will be better off

or ask for the phone number of the work visa place.. you have another friend who wants to get in on that sweet deal...tell him you need it fast like right now over the phone...please.....

bob

Sep 19, 2005
Is this for real?

I hear the police car start up......

no it is not real...I make joke ha ha h...

I am related to AZB...didnt you know

seriously...it could be real....but it folows the classic sanky theme

these guys KNOW they need to come up with REAL subjects to hit the home run

tell him just to wait till he has the money... the programs go on all year long every year

you must have an emergency you need the 500 your self coming up soon right...dont you have a relatives birthday coming or anything?

should you pay down your car payments or CC debt....

you jst cant swing it right now.....

I bet he may disolve away

good luck

bob

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Reconfirming what you're hearing from others.

The programs do exist for full time university students.
CCUSA Summer Camp Jobs & Work and Travel Abroad with CCUSA is one organization that coordinates work programs for hundreds of students annually from DR. I have a friend who works in their Santiago office.

I think the cost is somewhere around $2000. Including assistance getting the Visa's, language competence tests, airfare, arranging for employment in U.S. prior to student's arrival, accompanying them to the U.S. embassy, on the flight to U.S., & support while in U.S.

I loaned someone some money to help them make the trip & was paid back from their summer's earnings. Now, whether your boyfriend is that reliable? I dunno!

VVV

Feb 6, 2007
I was not planning to send the money in the first place. I just wanted to check if it was like 'an opportunity came along thing' or a 'well planned sankie thing'.
No matter what it is, I don't think he should be asking me for money.. that is why I will not send it.
I will just say I don't have it right now. See what he does!

Thanks for all the advices!

jenfau

Jul 8, 2006
Its alot of money to send when you have doubts.How long have you known him and does he realize that this is making you think about him being a sankie.Talk some more don't send the money unless you are sure you can do without it and that it will probably put doubts in your head for a long time.Only you can speak for him and his character.Be sure first and be prepared for the worst.If you know you could handle it you could take the risk and he could be for real.It still is alot of money be careful.

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
wait till the rest of the sankies hear about this program, they'll incorporate this one in their scams as the only way to get a quick visa to come and see their "girlfriends". Its a beliveable one.

suitelady79

Sep 20, 2006
Audrav, I'm not sure that most sankies will be able to pull off this scam. From what I hear of sankies, they seem to be mostly uneducated and for this program you need to be actively enrolled in a college or university. Most people working in resorts probably don't have that much education.

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
Audrav, I'm not sure that most sankies will be able to pull off this scam. From what I hear of sankies, they seem to be mostly uneducated and for this program you need to be actively enrolled in a college or university. Most people working in resorts probably don't have that much education.

What I meant was telling their girlfriends they are enrolling in the program with no intention of doing so, just asking for the money. Its a given about the education level;) ;)

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
...Its a given about the education level;) ;)
This condescending language is absolutely unnecessary. Sankies provide a valuable service to sex deprived tourists and also contribute to DR's economy with remittances from their foreign clients. We should all strive to better people rather than finding faults in others. :glasses:

MissionDoc

Dec 16, 2006
Wow this is more original than most

You could actually satisfy your curiosity and ask him to fwd a transcript of his last grading period. If he bristles at your request or finds a reason not to do it then you have your answer. Or even request a statement from his academic advisor on University letterhead explaining all the costs of the program he wants to attend.
I will bet you a few thousand pesos that he is what most on this board (and you) assume he is.
Having just returned from S.D. last night I was amazed at how much more prevalent this stuff seems to be than when I first traveled there 7 years ago. I spend around 30 days a year there on business (medicine) and it seems that the stories and frequency of this stuff is getting more and more elaborate than the typical: I need money for my sick ______, dead_______,car_______,school__________ etc.....
Let the buyer beware.