How do I get a tourist visa for my boyfriend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
"How do I get a tourist visa for my boyfriend?"
Marry him? ;)

Actually it is virtually impossible to get a tourist visa that way. The "tie" by marriage prevents them from issuing a tourist visa in virtually all cases. I know this from personal experience.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I had no idea how hard it was for someone to get a US Visa. My girlfriend, who lives in the DR, has much more financial assets then me, has a much bigger bank account then me, does not work--because she does not need to work--and can live anywhere she wants, possesses blue eyes and a red hair, with matching bush, and looks more Scandinavian then some Scandinavians i know--was able to clearly demonstrate to the US Embassy official/interviewer her monthly income with bank statements going back two years--was rejected two years in a row before she finally got her US Visa.

That's how hard it is right now to get a US Visa. I even told her before she walked in for her third interview, i said, "Pull down your panties and show them your burning red bush, maybe that will convince them that your honorable with wholesome American values."

Frank

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I had no idea how hard it was for someone to get a US Visa. My girlfriend, who lives in the DR, has much more financial assets then me, has a much bigger bank account then me, does not work--because she does not need to work--and can live anywhere she wants, possesses blue eyes and a red hair, with matching bush, and looks more Scandinavian then some Scandinavians i know--was able to clearly demonstrate to the US Embassy official/interviewer her monthly income with bank statements going back two years--was rejected two years in a row before she finally got her US Visa.

That's how hard it is right now to get a US Visa. I even told her before she walked in for her third interview, i said, "Pull down your panties and show them your burning red bush, maybe that will convince them that your honorable with wholesome American values."

Frank

What nationality is she? Scandinavians don't need a visa for the US.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Could it have been the company she keeps that prevented her from getting the visa?

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I heard It would help if your boyfriend had traveled to other countries for past few years and returned or got out of that country promptly.
If this is first time travel.
I am with many here.
I wish you and your bf Good luck

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you know, if it was that hard to get that damn visa no one would be overstaying because only los ricos would be getting it. i know many dominicans who have american visa and visited USA. some are well off, others are not. they had different reasons to apply and their circumstances varied.

Elucidaisy

Dec 26, 2013
He has land and a carpentry business in his name, and any number of family members, but not many cash assets. Would it be better to try find someone here that could invite him for a work visa? Anyone have any experience with this? I feel a little out of my depth.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Unless he has a graduate degree in science he will probably not qualify for a work visa. If he is under 30 a student visa for post graduate work is his best bet right now OR you can marry him and throw the dice. Carpenters don't get H1B's. Programmers do.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
He has land and a carpentry business in his name, and any number of family members, but not many cash assets. Would it be better to try find someone here that could invite him for a work visa? Anyone have any experience with this? I feel a little out of my depth.

There might be some places in the US that need help, like Colorado rebuilding after the flood, but in general a carpenter is not going to hold much sway in getting a work visa.

You can try to pay for his visitor's visa, but the odds are very slim he will get it from what you have said.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
By checking out the forum history here, you?ll see there?s many stories from people who have tried to get their significant other a tourist visa, but supported their applications with stuff that could have been used to support a fiance or a spouse visa.

For example, If you are sponsoring your spouse into your country, it?s okay to say that you are paying for everything for them to go over there, present pictures, letters or emails and proof that your relationship is legit. It doesn?t matter if the person has no job.

But, for a tourist visa, if you do that, what you are showing is that this person doesn?t even have money to pay for their own ticket. And hey, a relationship! That could be seen as a red flag! That means that the person can easily overstay.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The DR is "Devils Island" for Dominicans, they are trapped here and no first world country will allow them to "visit". Why? Because 99.99% of the Dominicans who visited in the past do not return. Your only path is to marry him then apply for a green card and live in your home country. You seem determined. Listen to what everyone here is saying. We have done it. The worst part of being denied a visitors via is they refuse to tell you why. Its "in the opinion of the interviewer she is not qualified". To which I asked "what else could we do to become more qualified? " "I cannot tell you that as is up to the interviewer". And that's how we applied and got a permanent resident green card. Wife takes her US naturalization test next month and then we do what the hell we please.btw, is expensive too.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Steve, his passport will get him out of the DR legally, but not into the USA. That requires a USA Visa, his passport is a Dominican one obviously.
Der Fish

The passport allows him to exit the DR has you stated and the visa only allow him on the plane to the USA. He can still be denied entry if the people in ATL, JFK, FLL, MIA ,SJU etc. feel he should not be allowed entry.

A visa DOES NOT automatically get you into the USA you can be turned around and denied entry even though you have a visa.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The passport allows him to exit the DR has you stated and the visa only allow him on the plane to the USA. He can still be denied entry if the people in ATL, JFK, FLL, MIA ,SJU etc. feel he should not be allowed entry.

A visa DOES NOT automatically get you into the USA you can be turned around and denied entry even though you have a visa.

i am glad you made that clear. some dick at immigration could take a look at you and not like something he sees, and you are going back on the next flight home.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
This is for anyone thinking about bringing their Dominican boyfriend or girlfriend to the USA. It is NOT going to happen. Why should the USA take the risk of someone they no someone will not return to the USA. If you are American and your BF or GF is Dominican there are a lot of country the two of you can visited and spend time together the USA is NOT one of them.

Dominicans maybe a lot of fun and some may make great partners, but the US government does not want them in the USA. In the past too many Americans and Dominicans have taken advantage of the US policy and this is why today they are so strict with Dominicans by REJECTING so many of their applications.

When you decide to get involved with a man or woman from a country like the DR, you should do you homework to find out if the USA have issues with approving visa to come to the USA.

BTW A tourist visa is for TOURIST not for someone who might become LOST and surface 15 yrs later.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
i am glad you made that clear. some dick at immigration could take a look at you and not like something he sees, and you are going back on the next flight home.

I thought like DerFish once you have a visa you are IN!!!, but a guy in Mexico told me once they would not let his brother in because they did not believe he was coming to visit but to work. If they think for 1 second you are coming to the USA to work they will turn you around as quick as your head can spend.

The BIGGEST thing once you arrive is proving you are not coming to the USA to work, and if you are staying in the USA for awhile and if you do not have the money to cover your expenses while in the USA they are not letting you in.

Last edited:

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I thought like DerFish once you have a visa you are IN!!!, but a guy in Mexico told me once they would not let his brother in because they did not believe he was coming to visit but to work. If they think for 1 second you are coming to the USA to work they will turn you around as quick as your head can spend.

The BIGGEST thing once you arrive is proving you are not coming to the USA to work, and if you are staying in the USA for awhile and if you do not have the money to cover your expenses while in the USA they are not letting you in.

The family business should be enough cover to get him in. The easiest path will be the F-1.

F1 Student Visa - F1 Visa Immigration

Half the taxi drivers in Washington DC are UDC and regional community college students taking 2 classes per semester just to maintain their immigrant status.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
The family business should be enough cover to get him in. The easiest path will be the F-1.

F1 Student Visa - F1 Visa Immigration

Half the taxi drivers in Washington DC are UDC and regional community college students taking 2 classes per semester just to maintain their immigrant status.

I will NEVER understand why Dominicans do not take this route like many of the people as you say in DC from many countries in Africa.

Many people in African learned how to play the system in the USA as far as immigration. Dominican take the "MI AMOR" route. What is your purpose for coming to or wanting to go the USA, Dominican response" because I want to be with "mi amor" and they get SHOT DOWN every time.

I have totally given up on trying to educate Dominicans on how to come to the USA, but they do not want to take my advice because in their mind the ONLY way to get to the USA is marrying an American or a "yola"

A Dominican should find a way to the USA on their own there many different ave. they can take, and once they are here in the USA then if they find an American to fall in love with then great, but they need to STOP trying to marry and date their way off the island.

Status
Not open for further replies.