How do I get a tourist visa for my boyfriend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
The family business should be enough cover to get him in. The easiest path will be the F-1.

F1 Student Visa - F1 Visa Immigration

Half the taxi drivers in Washington DC are UDC and regional community college students taking 2 classes per semester just to maintain their immigrant status.

To have a student visa you need to be a full-time student (12 credits undergraduate, 9 credits graduate), show proof that you can pay these courses (international students pay double the rate, so even a community college that s quite a change of money). In addition, you have to have a high school diploma and have passed the TOEFL. It has becoming harder and harder and the US has been losing many students to Canadians Universities due to that and tuition costs.

Elucidaisy

Dec 26, 2013
Thank you. I thought I would send one anyway..and he does seem to have that idea! In this case, would you say that it doesn't matter if the letter comes from me or from a church where he might do missionary work?

Elucidaisy

Dec 26, 2013
No kidding! It certainly isn't! He has a bank account, business, land and might have a car by the time he applies. He does have a driver's license.

Elucidaisy

Dec 26, 2013
Well I suppose the worst would be that they say no, in which case we'll just do a fiancee visa later. It would just be so much better if he could come to check things out..and visit!

Elucidaisy

Dec 26, 2013
Okay, so there's no way I can solicit a visa? I am still brand new at this. I found nothing saying I could online, although I saw several for Canada. That would be great if I lived in Canada.

Thanks

Elucidaisy

Dec 26, 2013
A valid passport isn't good enough...he has to have some kind of a visa to go. If for some reason we get a visa he will come for 2 mos, depending on the amount of time we have it for.

Elucidaisy

Dec 26, 2013
I did read from a different poster that it might be better to downplay the relationship and list me as a person he would like to visit.

Elucidaisy

Dec 26, 2013
This sounds like good advice. I've been thinking about going there this summer (I'm a teacher) and doing the permanent resident card route. How expensive?

Elucidaisy

Dec 26, 2013
I figure that we have to try. Visiting another country would be fun..but after we're married, and my family lives here. I would like him to see what I'm like here and get to know my family here. And we would NOT overstay the visa. Sigh. I wish the system hadn't been so abused.

Elucidaisy

Dec 26, 2013
He doesn't speak enough English to pass the TOEFL. I know..I'm an ESL teacher, and he's learning! There are few universities who accept students not able to pass that test.

Elucidaisy

Dec 26, 2013
He is a pastor..what if he were a summer (unpaid!) intern/relief pastor to my Spanish-speaking church here, and they send him the letter and we plan it that way? Thoughts on whether that would help at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.