How to educate and bring about a change in the Dominican youth for the furture

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
Narcosis said:
Again Daddy1, you make little or no sense at all.

Please decide if you live in Orlando, New Jersey or Santo Domingo.

Second. This is about the Dominican Republic not the USA.

Third. It is now very obvious to me you have never stepped on any of these clubs as all are very well organized have pools, basketball courts, tennis courts, soccer fields, cafeterias, playgrounds, auditoriums etc etc etc.
OK... to answer your first question I officially live in Santo Domingo, but I rent a home in Orlando Florida, I come here from time to time because I'm involved in several fund raising for some athletic projects I'm working on in the island. Ok.. now, to answer your second response, I mentioned the Dominican clubs in the states because they all follow more or less the same criteria, I know D.R. have there own clubs, and like I said they may have all of these things you mentioned, but they haven't yet formulated a completely structured program...of course from what I observed at the time!

Last edited:
Comparison of these clubs is kind of unfare.

For one, the economic factor of profit run clubs in the states vs DR are nite and day. What kind of club fees could you possible charge to Dominicans in DR to maintain properly running facilities and wages.

two, if it is non-profit, there are so many foundations in the US to contribute to the youth for youth programs but in DR I really don't think charitable foundations in DR could maintain the same level of resources or long term commtment without outside help. What programs in DR could compare to programs in the states.

On another note of education
In the states these are a list of foundations that contribute from 10,000 to over 100 million dollars for educational issues. You cannot use the US as a measuring stick when it comes to educating Dominicans. They do not have nearly these type of resources for their children.

ASCO Foundation
Boston Foundation
Ford Foundation
GramCam Communications, Incorporated
The Lloyd G. Balfour Foundation
NBT Foundation
Poss-Kapor Foundation
UNOVA Foundation
Annenberg Foundation
Annie E. Casey Foundation
BankBoston Corporation Charitable Foundation
Bell Atlantic Corporation
Boston Edison Company
Boston Globe Foundation, Inc.
Bricklayers and Allied Craftsmen
Cabletron Systems
Charles Stewart Mott Foundation
Christopher Reynolds Foundation
Conservation Food and Health Foundation
Corporation for Business, Work and Learning
Council for the Advancement and Support of Education
Counsel for Homeopathic Medicine
Lincoln and Therese Filene Foundation
Fleet Bank of Massachusetts
Follett College Stores Corporation
Friends of Shattuck Shelter
Greater Boston Council on Alcoholism, Inc.
Hebrew Rehabilitation Center for Aged
Human Services Research Institute
Hyams Foundation Inc.
International Plant Genetic Resources Institute
John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation
John Hancock Mutual Life Insurance Company
John S. and James L. Knight Foundation
Lannan Foundation
Litton Industries, Inc.
Mabel Louise Riley Foundation
Mashantucket Pequot Museum and Research Center
Massachusetts Bar Foundation
Massachusetts Cultural Council
Massachusetts Foundation for the Humanities
Massachusetts General Hospital
Massachusetts Medical Society
Metropolitan Area Planning Council
Microsoft Corporation
National Collegiate Athletic Association
National Writing Project Corporation
Nellie Mae Fund For Education
New England Financial
New England Medical Center
Parker Foundation
Perkins School for the Blind
The Philanthropic Institute (TPI)
Picker Institute
Prentice Hall Incorporated
Society of Industrial Microbiology
Starkmann, Inc.
State Street Foundation
United Way of Massachusetts Bay
W. Clement and Jessie V. Stone Foundation
World Wildlife Fund

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
One of the many catch 22 issues in third-world countries is the fact that our institutions are so weak it's every man for himself and very few charitable foundations can survive on funding from within the local community.

Someday when we all pay taxes equitably, I include my family and peers as we do not pay what we should but that is a different thread alltogehter, and not all the burden solely on the middle class, since the poor do not pay tax at all; then companies and the wealthy here will have an incentive to donate to charitable foundations on the basis of having tax exemptions.

At the moment only very large Dominican companies have enough cash for league and club sponsorship these companies include the breweries and telecom companies among a few others, and usually are included in their advertising budget.

Narcosis said:
At the moment only very large Dominican companies have enough cash for league and club sponsorship these companies include the breweries and telecom companies among a few others, and usually are included in their advertising budget.

true but sponserships is a give and take and its not the same as charitable donations. Sponserships are all about, "I'll give you money of you use my product, or advertise my corporate logo". They are not doing it out the kindness of their heart.

But even the American Foundations are not always doing it out the kindness of their heart either. They will get some tax benifit or kickback for contributing to a worthy cause.

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
sancochojoe said:
Comparison of these clubs is kind of unfare.

For one, the economic factor of profit run clubs in the states vs DR are nite and day. What kind of club fees could you possible charge to Dominicans in DR to maintain properly running facilities and wages.

two, if it is non-profit, there are so many foundations in the US to contribute to the youth for youth programs but in DR I really don't think charitable foundations in DR could maintain the same level of resources or long term commtment without outside help. What programs in DR could compare to programs in the states.

On another note of education
In the states these are a list of foundations that contribute from 10,000 to over 100 million dollars for educational issues. You cannot use the US as a measuring stick when it comes to educating Dominicans. They do not have nearly these type of resources for their children.

ASCO Foundation
Boston Foundation
Ford Foundation
GramCam Communications, Incorporated
The Lloyd G. Balfour Foundation
NBT Foundation
Poss-Kapor Foundation
UNOVA Foundation
Annenberg Foundation
Annie E. Casey Foundation
BankBoston Corporation Charitable Foundation
Bell Atlantic Corporation
Boston Edison Company
Boston Globe Foundation, Inc.
Bricklayers and Allied Craftsmen
Cabletron Systems
Charles Stewart Mott Foundation
Christopher Reynolds Foundation
Conservation Food and Health Foundation
Corporation for Business, Work and Learning
Council for the Advancement and Support of Education
Counsel for Homeopathic Medicine
Lincoln and Therese Filene Foundation
Fleet Bank of Massachusetts
Follett College Stores Corporation
Friends of Shattuck Shelter
Greater Boston Council on Alcoholism, Inc.
Hebrew Rehabilitation Center for Aged
Human Services Research Institute
Hyams Foundation Inc.
International Plant Genetic Resources Institute
John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation
John Hancock Mutual Life Insurance Company
John S. and James L. Knight Foundation
Lannan Foundation
Litton Industries, Inc.
Mabel Louise Riley Foundation
Mashantucket Pequot Museum and Research Center
Massachusetts Bar Foundation
Massachusetts Cultural Council
Massachusetts Foundation for the Humanities
Massachusetts General Hospital
Massachusetts Medical Society
Metropolitan Area Planning Council
Microsoft Corporation
National Collegiate Athletic Association
National Writing Project Corporation
Nellie Mae Fund For Education
New England Financial
New England Medical Center
Parker Foundation
Perkins School for the Blind
The Philanthropic Institute (TPI)
Picker Institute
Prentice Hall Incorporated
Society of Industrial Microbiology
Starkmann, Inc.
State Street Foundation
United Way of Massachusetts Bay
W. Clement and Jessie V. Stone Foundation
World Wildlife Fund
Alright I understand your point of view, but each city has there mayor, that mayor is suppose to have a city budget for local spending, the government has had the funds to create these programs, but they decide to keep these funds for themselves, that's one reason. Second just like the community centers in Orlando Florida they charge adults memberships either for daily use monthly use, or you can pay for the year, this is to use the whole facility, with the morning and afternoon programs the parent's qualify based on there income and how many children each have - by the way youth under 15 yrs of age have automatic free membership, they have camps for holiday's, summer, spring break, christmas breaks, field trips etc. but Ok... to answer your other comments, sancho look.....let's not make excuses for the Dominican government, they have had a multitude of dollars go threw there offices, structuring your school system should be priority as soon as you take over office, if they would have built these schools right the first time, they would not have these issue's today, so I ask if the government built at least three new schools a year, that would cater students from grades pre-k to 12th ,fully built!! that is with gymnasiums, professional ball-fields, etc - the future in the island would take a dramatic turn, they will never convince me that they do not have the funds to do this, I will not believe it for a second...you see the city of Orlando hire Construction workers as city employees to do there construction projects and they in return pay them a salary, these schools can be built and funded...if!! and that is a BIG if.... they wanted to!

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
My point exactly..

This is not bad at all. That is why it works in the US.

But for it to work here, the people with the money need to have an incentive, if not, the money stays in their pockets or to cover the lack of public funds directed to their industry or service sector, which is tied into the reason major companies and the wealthy do not pay their share of tax, because it is needed to cover areas that the public sector should be covering. But we all know what would happen to tax money if it was paid. Of course it ends up in government officials pockets.

The sad thing is the PRD really think they are entitled to it as if that is their way of "getting back" at the upper classes.

Last edited:

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
Narcosis said:
My point exactly..

This is not bad at all. That is why it works in the US.

But for it to work here, the people with the money need to have an incentive, if not, the money stays in their pockets or to cover the lack of public funds directed to their industry or service sector, which is tied into the reason major companies and the wealthy do not pay their share of tax, because it is needed to cover areas that the public sector should be covering. But we all know what would happen to tax money if it was paid. Of course it ends up in government officials pockets.

The sad thing is the PRD really think they are entittled to it as if that is their way of "getting back" at the upper classes.
I agree... they should also create more lottery's to use as funds as well, but the sacrifice has to be made by the government first and all immediate focus should be solely on education and education only!! they have to see it as if the country is under attack or something in an act of war.. the PRD clearly is not the government to start this crusade, because that party along with the PRSC have old school styles of views and thinking, no offense narc I can sense you liked balaguer...but we need a true visionary to step in and take this task, the countries failure to properly educate there citizens, have been holding the island down for decades, I believe narc.. that some of the private school's are legitament in the island, but at there cost and the way the economy is going somethings got to give..

daddy1 said:
I agree... they should also create more lottery's to use as funds as well, but the sacrifice has to be made by the government first and all immediate focus should be solely on education and education only!! they have to see it as if the country is under attack or something in an act of war.. the PRD clearly is not the government to start this crusade, because that party along with the PRSC have old school styles of views and thinking, no offense narc I can sense you liked balaguer...but we need a true visionary to step in and take this task, the countries failure to properly educate there citizens, have been holding the island down for decades, I believe narc.. that some of the private school's are legitament in the island, but at there cost and the way the economy is going somethings got to give..

How many loteries does a Island need??

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
Alot in D.R.s case

sancochojoe said:
How many loteries does a Island need??
well.. they can make like a powerball 8 number or a fantasy 5 like lottery or pick 4 pick six anything that can work.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Thank you

Thank you Tom you are the first and only person that has said what I have been saying all along. If you do not know the letters of the alphabet you will be able to speak but you will never be able to raed or write. If you teach incorrectly then they learn incorrectly, garbage in ? garbage out.
I have read their Law 66-97 apropos education and I have read the cirriculum guidelines to be followed by all schools in this country and both are well written but the problem is in the administration of these two item within the school system.

?Teaching proper use of your own country's native language is not an option, it is a necessity. But it's not a difficult task, or one that requires a lot of money.?

How true how true
Rick

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
All posts are very interesting to say the least, yet I'm a byproduct of the Dominican schooling system, I went to the Instituto Evangelico of Santiago a private school founded and ran by Evangelists, we had to attend a chapel by the corner of Maimon and 27 de Febrero "old Central ave" once a week for the religious curriculum, classes were imparted just like any other school to my knowledge since the curriculum was integral to all schools be it private or public schooling, the only noticeable difference was the settings like structure, facilities, sport complexes etc., I consider myself to be a highly educated individual due in no small part to my formal schooling, I think most of the problems with illiteracy and knowledge today in the student body of the DR can be traced back to the mentors, grossly underpaid and lacking themselves a more stringent formal background than any of the students under their wings.

One very important aspect I was quite amazed with, was the fact given by one of the posters that no public library of merit was available to DR students or general population to this date, at least in Santiago's case there's one private but quite small, something that I'll be looking forward to set as a personal challenge and goal in the coming months...

DR schools lack a lot of things and a student body hungry for knowledge it's not one of them, I own several lots in Santiago, Boca Chica, Puerto Plata, La Vega and other interior communities in the DR on which I'll be willing to build modest edification to accommodate a good number of pupils, with laboratory and visual aid equipment, this centers will not be under the Dept. of Edu. at no time soon, I want to set up a remedial and advanced tutoring on many of these facilities to address immediately the concerns and lacking of the existing schooling system, I believe trying to complement the actual curriculum will be more advantageous than trying to fix it outright and much less costly than an overhaul as many indicate, like fix those things that are broken and leave alone the ones that work for the time being, to this end I think the need for an experienced teaching faculty it's the rule of thumb, and that's where many of those who are willing to share ideas and opinions within this forum will come in handy, are you willing to put into practice what so feverish you proposed here? are you willing to meet a daunting challenge for personal gratification and no monetary gain?

I'll be willing to build modern and technologically to date classrooms, with PC networked workstations, educational CBT software, VPN to faculty members so they could grade and evaluate, prepare curriculum etc. for the pupils from their homes, provide fully stocked laboratories with advanced electronic microscopes and medium, a real hands on lab it's the best way to teach than the word printed, I have several sponsors willing to provide all of the student's utilities like notebooks, pens etc, also will provide funds for educational trips to sponsored industrial facilities to watch firsthand the industrial market for all pupils with their meals and safe transportation provided for.

Since all of these centers will operate on sponsored budgets, I can't offer a paycheck to anyone other than the self gratifying sense of community service, if you're willing to commit to it let me know and we'll work together on a viable plan to accomplish our goals, all input will be welcomed!

Let's do something about it and prove your ideas to be valid for once!

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
sancochojoe said:
Ok, and with a potentially corrupt government do you think a lottery for education would work???
I don't really know, because nobody has tried it yet.

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
PICHARDO said:
All posts are very interesting to say the least, yet I'm a byproduct of the Dominican schooling system, I went to the Instituto Evangelico of Santiago a private school founded and ran by Evangelists, we had to attend a chapel by the corner of Maimon and 27 de Febrero "old Central ave" once a week for the religious curriculum, classes were imparted just like any other school to my knowledge since the curriculum was integral to all schools be it private or public schooling, the only noticeable difference was the settings like structure, facilities, sport complexes etc., I consider myself to be a highly educated individual due in no small part to my formal schooling, I think most of the problems with illiteracy and knowledge today in the student body of the DR can be traced back to the mentors, grossly underpaid and lacking themselves a more stringent formal background than any of the students under their wings.

One very important aspect I was quite amazed with, was the fact given by one of the posters that no public library of merit was available to DR students or general population to this date, at least in Santiago's case there's one private but quite small, something that I'll be looking forward to set as a personal challenge and goal in the coming months...

DR schools lack a lot of things and a student body hungry for knowledge it's not one of them, I own several lots in Santiago, Boca Chica, Puerto Plata, La Vega and other interior communities in the DR on which I'll be willing to build modest edification to accommodate a good number of pupils, with laboratory and visual aid equipment, this centers will not be under the Dept. of Edu. at no time soon, I want to set up a remedial and advanced tutoring on many of these facilities to address immediately the concerns and lacking of the existing schooling system, I believe trying to complement the actual curriculum will be more advantageous than trying to fix it outright and much less costly than an overhaul as many indicate, like fix those things that are broken and leave alone the ones that work for the time being, to this end I think the need for an experienced teaching faculty it's the rule of thumb, and that's where many of those who are willing to share ideas and opinions within this forum will come in handy, are you willing to put into practice what so feverish you proposed here? are you willing to meet a daunting challenge for personal gratification and no monetary gain?

I'll be willing to build modern and technologically to date classrooms, with PC networked workstations, educational CBT software, VPN to faculty members so they could grade and evaluate, prepare curriculum etc. for the pupils from their homes, provide fully stocked laboratories with advanced electronic microscopes and medium, a real hands on lab it's the best way to teach than the word printed, I have several sponsors willing to provide all of the student's utilities like notebooks, pens etc, also will provide funds for educational trips to sponsored industrial facilities to watch firsthand the industrial market for all pupils with their meals and safe transportation provided for.

Since all of these centers will operate on sponsored budgets, I can't offer a paycheck to anyone other than the self gratifying sense of community service, if you're willing to commit to it let me know and we'll work together on a viable plan to accomplish our goals, all input will be welcomed!

Let's do something about it and prove your ideas to be valid for once!
Pichardo! you are the person I want to associate with, it's Dominicans like yourself that move mountains, eventhough I am an educator of physical education I am willing to cooperate with you and lend you my support, you seem to be a visionary which I admire and can relate to, since I deal with student athlete's, maybe you can extend your program and I will provide the athletic equipment, personal, and foreign support, due to fact that I have close ties with the city of Orlando parks and recreation,and also with local churhes in this area, your idea sounds super, let's talk a little further on the actual plan of action just to make sure that these programs become successful and that all avenue's have been covered, my wife an I are willing to be a part of this movement so consider us your first recuits!!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Glad to have you aboard as first passenger!

Please send me by e-mail your location of interest in the DR and the facility you'll be needing to accomplish your curriculum, a fit student body is related to a fit student mind as well.

Prepare a list of equipment and clothing to be employed, estate age range and impact of your intended curriculum program, short and long term goals aimed for, possibility of introducing a full athletic program for exceptional candidates to compete in national qualification tournaments as well as international.

Will you be willing to work with a license US nutritionist to introduce a healthy diet to the curriculum and follow up and be involved with the Nutritionist's timetable?

Are you willing to be a principal of sorts in the coordination and implementation of your program nation wide to all centers to be able to provide such curriculum?

Please send me E-mail regarding these options as well as any others you may provide.

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
Education ? are there any standards?

I have been living in th United States since 1956. I have been taking my Teacher Certification for the past year-half When I am finished I have been interested in Returning Home.
If the country need its former citizens they should give incentives,At the master level the units in a private university is around four-hundred and Seventy dollars plus books, many graduate have students loans to be paid
such as housing/Electricity/water and Medical and a decent salary. You be surprised how many teacher and professors might be willing to teach in such a niece weather.
If the International standard of education were establish, there might be a better system of education, and teacher preparation. It takes seven years of education for a teacher credential. Here all teacher have to be taking classess to maintain their teaching credential twenty-seven additional unit every five years.

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
mariaobetsanov said:
I have been living in th United States since 1956. I have been taking my Teacher Certification for the past year-half When I am finished I have been interested in Returning Home.
If the country need its former citizens they should give incentives,At the master level the units in a private university is around four-hundred and Seventy dollars plus books, many graduate have students loans to be paid
such as housing/Electricity/water and Medical and a decent salary. You be surprised how many teacher and professors might be willing to teach in such a niece weather.
If the International standard of education were establish, there might be a better system of education, and teacher preparation. It takes seven years of education for a teacher credential. Here all teacher have to be taking classess to maintain their teaching credential twenty-seven additional unit every five years.
I agree but, Dominican's in the island have to demand this, and the Dominican American's should also participate, we have got to throw out flyers in the island an become somewhat nagging, and make the people aware that there future is not going to improve for there children if they continue on this path.

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
PICHARDO said:
Glad to have you aboard as first passenger!

Please send me by e-mail your location of interest in the DR and the facility you'll be needing to accomplish your curriculum, a fit student body is related to a fit student mind as well.

Prepare a list of equipment and clothing to be employed, estate age range and impact of your intended curriculum program, short and long term goals aimed for, possibility of introducing a full athletic program for exceptional candidates to compete in national qualification tournaments as well as international.

Will you be willing to work with a license US nutritionist to introduce a healthy diet to the curriculum and follow up and be involved with the Nutritionist's timetable?

Are you willing to be a principal of sorts in the coordination and implementation of your program nation wide to all centers to be able to provide such curriculum?

Please send me E-mail regarding these options as well as any others you may provide.
you can email me at raamargos@earthlink.net my friend.