Hurricane Gustav .. was Tropical Storm Gustav

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Rained very heavily in Juan Dolio on and off all night. Still very overcast with light winds, constant drizzle and some bursts of heavier rain. Many locals flooded out of their homes and back roads flooded.

Matilda

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The government called school off today. Nevertheless, private schools were open as the notice didn't come until this morning. Sent my daughter to school this morning. It was the first day of school. By the number of cars, I could perceive many chose not to go.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I spoke to a friend in Santo Domingo who works at an international agency this morning. They are receiving reports of 'devastation' from Barahona, and expect the government to declare a state of emergency in the province. :(

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i have sorrily no contact to someone in Barahona,
but would assume that they got huge rainloads and that rain is not over yet.
like Chris said, even when the rain get's a bit less for a short time, the watertime for the southwest is sure not over, yet.
on the east still all dry,
it is cloudy,
wind came back a bit,
blowing 11 knots at one moment, dead for a while, and right away up blowing.
but no rainloads, no danger for anybody caused by the storm,
let's stay updated about the areas where the system is causing danger.
Mike

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
I spoke to a friend in Santo Domingo who works at an international agency this morning. They are receiving reports of 'devastation' from Barahona, and expect the government to declare a state of emergency in the province. :(

Hi Chiri, do you have any idea where the devastation is? I haven't been able to get through to my friends in Bahoruco, on the coast of Barahona, usually the damage there is from strong waves coming from the Caribbean sea, whereas in areas such as Jaquimeyes, Tamayo, Vicente Noble, the devastation is caused by Yaque del Sur river. I was in Barahona this weekend and on saturday we drove through the bateyes, Tamayo, Neyba and Cabral and we could already see swamps where the terrain is usually desert-like dry, then Saturday night there was a powerful storm with heavy wind gusts, it rained hard all night. On my way to Santo Domingo on Sunday I noticed that the Yaque del Sur was already growing and the soil was saturated. I also noticed that the parts where Noel caused more damage have not been repaired, so they are very vulnerable.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
as i look out the window of my hotel room in Santo Domingo i see moderate rain and street flooding. went out last night when it was eerily calm and quiet....then the rain started coming down in BUCKETS and hasnt stopped since really. 10am today had some heavy morning rain too, it has calmed down some, but the damage is visible with garbage and or flooding on street sides.....very bad driving conditions on the east side of Santo Domingo....looks like my vacation to the north will be cancelled as i will not drive in these conditions....ugh :(

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Marilyn: this is an unconfirmed report, so let's wait for someone on the ground to let us know what is happening. If you know the area, you know the most vulnerable communities, which have been affected in the past, like the ones you mention. I hope all the disaster preparedness work going on down there (in Pe?on, Salinas and Quita Coraza) has some positive results.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
just listening to the news on CDN, 4500 + people have supposedly been evacuated from the southern coast line, from Barahona all the way to San Pedro de Macoris....they are expecting the worst. i have not heard anything on the news about devestation in Barahona, i just pray that everyone hangs in there and help each other....my first time ever being caught in a storm like this :(

TracyMarshRN

Aug 26, 2008
Hello, I live in the US, and my son who is 19 years old is living in Barahona until November. I haven't heard from him since Monday morning. He was heading 1/2 hour north to work on a shrimp farm for a few days. If anyone has any info of the situation in that area, I would appreciate it very much.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
just listening to the news on CDN, 4500 + people have supposedly been evacuated from the southern coast line, from Barahona all the way to San Pedro de Macoris....they are expecting the worst. i have not heard anything on the news about devestation in Barahona, i just pray that everyone hangs in there and help each other....my first time ever being caught in a storm like this :(

Hang in there!!!!!!

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
hell no!

Wait to see if someone reports on the highway condition and on Samana. Do not cancel yet.

i agree with previous posters and warnings, not wanting to drive in these conditions, roads are bad enough as they are presently and in ideal conditions there are still potholes and other things to worry about....plus all that filled with water, some garbage/mud sliding, not a pretty site to try to avoid all that while driving.....besides my trip up north included going sighseeing to parks, waterfalls, beaches....etc....its raining and most likey all that is ruined....i cant hang out on a beach while its raining.... :(

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Hello, I live in the US, and my son who is 19 years old is living in Barahona until November. I haven't heard from him since Monday morning. He was heading 1/2 hour north to work on a shrimp farm for a few days. If anyone has any info of the situation in that area, I would appreciate it very much.

I just spoke with a friend in Bahoruco, on the coast of Barahona and she told me that the storm didn't do much damage on the coast, there was some wind and a lot of rain but nothing major, the waves were not dangerously high and everything looks normal now. I don't have any information about the towns along the Yaque del Sur, but according to the Barahona mayor who spoke on the Gobierno de la Ma?ana everything was "under control" and there were no casualties to report.

I'm sure your son is fine, hope he calls you soon and let us know how he is when he calls.

Last edited:

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
i agree with previous posters and warnings, not wanting to drive in these conditions, roads are bad enough as they are presently and in ideal conditions there are still potholes and other things to worry about....plus all that filled with water, some garbage/mud sliding, not a pretty site to try to avoid all that while driving.....besides my trip up north included going sighseeing to parks, waterfalls, beaches....etc....its raining and most likey all that is ruined....i cant hang out on a beach while its raining.... :(

Yes, best to avoid driving under those conditions. Sorry your vacation hasn't turned out like you planned. I hope you still get to enjoy yourself.

TracyMarshRN

Aug 26, 2008
:D
I just spoke with a friend in Bahoruco, on the coast of Barahona and she told me that the storm didn't do much damage on the coast, there was some wind and a lot of rain but nothing major, the waves were not dangerously high and everything looks normal now. I don't have any information about the towns along the Yaque del Sur, but according to the Barahona mayor who spoke on the Gobierno de la Ma?ana everything was "under control" and there were no casualties to report.

I'm sure your son is fine, hope he calls you soon and let us know how he is when he calls.

Thank you so much! I can now breathe a lot easier. Hopefully I will hear from him by tomorrow when he should be getting back from the farm. I'll definitely let you know.

This is the best web site I have found for finding out a lot about the area. I'm going to be visiting my son down there in September, and can't wait!!

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Among other things, given the 'funnel' like shape of the Gulf of Gon?ve, Port-au-Prince may well end up as the most devastated area.

Last edited:

julian337

Aug 12, 2008
Topical Storm?Hurricane Gustav

I am flying to Las Americas tomorrow and will be taking Caribe tours bus to Sosua. How is everything in the capital? Does anyone have any input on what's going on there. A friend of mine told me that there are some serious flooding in the capital. Can anyone confirm.

Thanks in advance.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Just a reminder not to let up on being watchful even though Gustav has gone past us. It more or less stalled for a while over Haiti & dropped a lot of rain particularly in the southwest of DR. Last night 8 people died in a landslide in Guachupita, & some rivers are beginning to burst their banks as the water comes down the hills & hits them. More landslides are expected in areas prone to them.
http://www.elcaribecdn.com/articulo_multimedios.aspx?id=181237&guid=D48E939DCD824D18AE48D3C238B1F2E0&Seccion=63

Downtown barrios in Puerto Plata were ok yesterday, btw.

Sadly the family who died had been in a refuge since Fay & had returned home thinking everything was ok.

Last edited: