Hurricane Gustav .. was Tropical Storm Gustav

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
just woke up....looking out my window and slight clouds, sun is slowly creeping out, looks good....i hope.....sigh.....wish i could have driven my route :(
oh well, off to San Cristobal now :)

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
just woke up....looking out my window and slight clouds, sun is slowly creeping out, looks good....i hope.....sigh.....wish i could have driven my route :(
oh well, off to San Cristobal now :)

How many days do you have left in DR?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
to the above poster flying into Las Americas tomorow to take the bus up to the north, there is actually nothing in sight hindering your plans.
still mostly cloudy over here on the east coast,
but it feels good not to run temps in the usual 90's.
sun been out several times,
just 1 short 10 minutes shower around 10:30AM.
satellite shots show still huge cloud formations/rain on our northeast and also on the east of the norther caribbean, i hope we get that sun back soon.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hi D.,
Gustav with his eye/center never been in dominican waters if you wanna see it from that point.
he crossed the south caribbean sea and then turned NorthNorthWest on a staright course towards the Haitian south Peninsula, he had hurricane category 1 strength when he closed in to Haiti and hit with Hurricane category 1 strength.
of course the fact that the center of a storm did not touch the soul of a specific country does not minder the power and destruction of it's winds and in this case it's heavy rains over that country.
let's hope the best for the next 3 formations in possibility coming up after Hanna(she's thanks god til know in no way a thread for the island), the satellite shots from over the african landmass with it's airmovement east to west and the actual movement west of the Cap Verde Islands promise a tough time for the next 2-3 weeks.
when are you back in town on the east?
Mike

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Have to get back to work for about a week soon. Will let you know.

Thanks. Was checking whether I should include it in the hurricanes list. From what you tell me, I wont. It would have been a rare hurricane outside of September. The only one down for August was David, and that was 31 August.

DR1 - Hurricanes

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yes D.,
let's hook up for a coffee chat near the Marina.
i make for the 3rd day in a row Gustav a category 3+ in the Gulf of Mexico running into US landmass between Louisiana-Florida Panhandle, let's say between New Orleans and Mobile/Alabama with a mindered windforce of a cat 2 hurricane.
his visual size(spread out volume of his thunderstorms and rain) will increase when moving northwards throu the Gulf like always when they turn away more far from the Equator.
somewhere mid next week tuesday morning-wednesday night.
Mike

TonyLA

Sep 1, 2008
Juan Dolio weather forecast - need help!

Hello,

I am new here and, thus hello to everybody.
I was going to Juan Dolio mid September but now I am concerned about storms and hurricanes.

Was Juan Dolio damaged? How strong? Beaches? Would you recommend being there from 09/10 till 09/20?

THANK YOU!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
September is the peak hurricane month for the Caribbean. But the chances of being caught in a hurricane are slim. DR1 - Hurricanes
The last hurricane to force travel plans to the south was Georges in 1998.

I would take out hurricane travel insurance, if you want to play it safe, and then take advantage of the better rates in September.

Tropical Storm Gustav passed far from Juan Dolio, thus caused no damage.

Bonus

Aug 13, 2008
September is the peak hurricane month for the Caribbean. But the chances of being caught in a hurricane are slim. DR1 - Hurricanes
The last hurricane to force travel plans to the south was Georges in 1998.

I would take out hurricane travel insurance, if you want to play it safe, and then take advantage of the better rates in September.

Tropical Storm Gustav passed far from Juan Dolio, thus caused no damage.

What about the chances of cloudy skies during the whole stay in DR? I have a tour planned to punta cana 18 - 29 of September. I hope there will be sunshine in that period...

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Whether is usually good in the Punta Cana area yearlong. It normally only showers in the late afternoon. So chances of cloudy skies during the whole stay in the DR in September are slim. But, the only one who could tell you what the weather will be that far in advance is God!

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
to give you an example of typical Punta Cana Tropical Storm/Hurricane season weather:
this past august 2008 we had a super high storm activity in the atlantic basin, record numbers of storms forming up and passing by. Punta Cana had during august 2008 only 1 rainy day, that was a friday when the later named "Fay" storm passed right over punta cana, 24hrs rain with low winds around 30-35 mphr, nothing else. the rest of the whole month been just sunny skies, high humidity, a few clouds and just once in a while a sort 5-15 minutes shower. overall august passed very dry, we need water.
have fun
Mike

TonyLA

Sep 1, 2008
Thank you Dolores! I already have everything booked so it was a question of if I need to cancel. I have never been in DR before and will be staying at Embassy Suites in Juan Dolio. What can you recommend as far as night entertainment: restaurants, clubs (with no troubles:)) and sightseeing?

TonyLA

Sep 1, 2008
You have just descrbed Punta Cana's weather for Mike. Could you, please describe Juan Dolio in the same way? My first time in DR:)

TonyLA

Sep 1, 2008
Can anybody be so kind and give me the weather outlook for Juan Dolio for this mid-September? Any advise on sightseeing and nightlife will be greatly appreciated (first time in DR, no Spanish unfortunately)

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
have posted on Juan Dolio site re entertainment. re weather no one can promise you anything. I have been here 8 years and in all of that time have had maybe 3 tropical storms directly overhead - the last being Fay this year. We have had a couple of very big hurricanes go past south of us - Ivan and Dean come to mind and here there was nothing - no rain, no wind, no clouds - even though the sea was spectacular. There are invests, and depressions rolling off the african coast all the time during September but who knows if they will come here??? Hopefully not but no one can guarantee anything. In 8 years I have not seen one here, and the last was George on sept 22nd 1998 if I am not mistaken. Even if there is you would be fine in the Embassy suites - just you might not get much of a sun tan!!! At the moment though it is VERY hot - roll on the winter I say

Matilda