Hurricane Ike and Current Tropical Storms .. was .. Hey Chris: They're lining up

dreamsource

Jul 29, 2007
sorry, Jaime!

i am presently in Santo Domingo [in the CASONA DORADA hotel] and its raining HEAVY....my day started in the campos of San Cristobal where rainfall began at around 5am and hasnt stopped or let up since.....this is bumming me out :(
just checked weather updates and am not liking the outlook....i am trying to leave sunday and i think Ike might ruin that....not sure....

But look on the bright side- you've probably saved some $$ by not needing a rental car or lodging outside Santiago!

See you when you get home,
Ron

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
and leave the highway free for Ike to pass as fast as he can and than more north than better.Mike

Just looked at the model runs & I could swear I saw a move to the left (WSW) for Sat/Sun for Ike & I thought my eyes were deceiving me until I read the 11pm NHC forecast discussion & there it is 'THE RIDGE BECOMES SO STRONG BY THE END OF THE FORECAST PERIOD THAT MODELS TURN IKE ON A SLIGHT WEST-SOUTHWEST TRACK. THIS SHIFT IS REFLECTED IN THE OFFICIAL FORECAST.'
Tropical Storm IKE Forecast Discussion

So, still north of DR but less far north than before if NHC is correct :ermm:.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No rain in Santiago today.

No clear skies.

No classes either. At least for the public schools according to the Min of Ed.inthe 12 areas under Red Alerts. See Diario Libre for latest..Diariolibre.com

HB

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
These minute shifts of track happens right through the life of a storm. The eventual picture that appears to the public, is a composite made up by the meteorologists according to the statistical and numerical guidance with a healthy dollop of their own experience. With the 5am's, the track is back to West-Northwest and West. The prediction picture for Ike remains very complex and the guidance needs to be read with that complexity in mind. It will count as a radical move if Ike turns it sights onto the DR as the system is already in a 20.6N position. This has been known to happen of course and a few years ago we saw a storm do a complete circle in more or less the same ocean space that Ike is in now.

It is best to wait for a track shift to establish itself unless of course the storm is very close to where you are and minute shifts of track becomes less important because of proximity.

On its current track and taking into account that the current track may have variances of 100 miles or more, the DR could see rain and cloudiness from the outlying cloud bands around Ike. If the storm strengthens, you will feel more effect in the DR. Strengthening does not look feasible in the next two days or so, and then Ike will be gone out of our waters. Barring a complete unforeseen unforeseen event (like turning a circle), Ike should not be too much of a problem for the DR. The track and other guidance for Ike looks as solid as it can be for the next two days. After that, there is great uncertainty. The issue of a complete northward turn is back on the table.

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Over twenty life have already been lost as a direct result of Hanna. It's currently moving straight East, which is kind of weird.

Last edited:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
These minute shifts of track happens right through the life of a storm. The eventual picture that appears to the public, is a composite made up by the meteorologists according to the statistical and numerical guidance with a healthy dollop of their own experience. With the 5am's, the track is back to West-Northwest and West. The prediction picture for Ike remains very complex and the guidance needs to be read with that complexity in mind. It will count as a radical move if Ike turns it sights onto the DR as the system is already in a 20.6N position. This has been known to happen of course and a few years ago we saw a storm do a complete circle in more or less the same ocean space that Ike is in now.

It is best to wait for a track shift to establish itself unless of course the storm is very close to where you are and minute shifts of track becomes less important because of proximity.

On its current track and taking into account that the current track may have variances of 100 miles or more, the DR could see rain and cloudiness from the outlying cloud bands around Ike. If the storm strengthens, you will feel more effect in the DR. Strengthening does not look feasible in the next two days or so, and then Ike will be gone out of our waters. Barring a complete unforeseen unforeseen event (like turning a circle), Ike should not be too much of a problem for the DR. The track and other guidance for Ike looks as solid as it can be for the next two days. After that, there is great uncertainty. The issue of a complete northward turn is back on the table.

Ok help me out Chris, I am confused. The models I have looked at don't even show Ike off our north coast until Saturday / Sunday. We are talking 3 to 5 days out. How can it be out of our waters in 2 days?

I have 2 reasons for asking - 1. I want to understand for my weather report and 2. I have parties planned for Sunday - do I postpone or not....?

DanaP

May 23, 2007
work at home day

It's been raining steadily all night here in Juan Dolio and continues to dump it down. The school is indeed closed. Guess I'll be able to grade those papers and prep in relative peace.......besides the 6 year old of course :glasses:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the models show Ike to effectstaurday ahead,
at least many models, there are still 5 models who bring him over the weekend to a southern turn towards the northcoast, the very most models show him passing far from the northcoast, only a few let him move out on open atlantic to die there.
there are so many possibilities and we are still a few days away from a possible 'coming closer', we just can watch any move, actually Ike is still on WNW.
Hanna is shown since very early morning on a northcourse, but slow, just 5mphr, she surprised in many points, so we have to wait until she is gone more far.
here on the east we had rain most of the day yesterday, in the afternoon and evening it was heavy, many showers during last night, this morning is til now in Cabeza de Toro where i live dry, but it is still 100% cloudy, wind changes with strong gusts 10-15knots.
our east province declared yellow-flagg, so public schools are closed today, i missed that info myself, so for the pick up van of the private school of our son we waited 30 minutes for nothing this morning, also closed, a neighbours kid been picked up for an other private school.
we sorrily don't get always such notice, but that's not the most important ones neither. while Fay ben on the south i complained that we need water on the east, it has been much too dry for months, now we have more than needed and the river and mountain areas go more dangerous with every additional hour of rain there.
at least this year we can see that authorities evacuate areas in danger, we can not stop the weather, but we can improve our knowledge/behaviors during such times.
let's stay informed and inform each others
Mike

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I want to be a brujo (a good one) and predict Ike will miss the DR and so will Josephine :)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
not a bad idea Tigre.
good notice from the east:
12:51PM,
the SUN is out!!!
yippieeah.
sure we have clouds around everywhere,
but it is a first sign of light at the end of the Tunnel.
Mike

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hey Planner .. all depends on track. I could have been clearer in my description .. My expectation is that Ike will be out of our waters in about two days. It is too high up north already in my feeling to literally ?turn back?. Nevertheless, we have seen this happen with other storms and I have been wrong as many times as I?ve been right. The prediction picture is very complex.

My sense is that the storm will pass to the North given the complete weather picture, but like Mike said, the uncertainty is great and I stress, the above is my sense based on the storm?s current position.

So, for the weather report, it is crazy out there which makes for a very complex prediction picture.
For the party, the show must go on :cheeky:

Courtesy of Central Florida Hurricane Center - Hurricanes without the Hype
Sep3AMTropics.jpg

I?ll change the thread description.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I, too, from my post next to the Good Lord, feel that neither Ike nor Josephine will actually make landfall here in the DR.
HOWEVER, I do think we will get more rains from them as they pass by...

Of course if IKE goes way north, we might not get anything more than soem waves and breezes..

Josephine is a little further south so she might get closer...right now she's supposed to be on a westerly track that is expected to go WNW in a day or so...

Ain't this fun....

HB

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Here is a thought...

Since Hana is now moving east towards the direction of Ike, what if they both meet? I know I shouldn't say that because it will be catastrophic. Has something like that ever happened? That is a very scary thought.

horton6966

Sep 3, 2008
Hi there i am a new member worried to death about going to the dr on sept 17th 2008,me my wife and kids are due to go to bahia maimon can anybody advise us on the weather at the moment and also any idea of what weather is expected throughout september please?????

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
The movement Eastward wasn't expected to last long. It is now moving north of Northwest at a relatively fast pace now.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Here is a thought...

Since Hana is now moving east towards the direction of Ike, what if they both meet? I know I shouldn't say that because it will be catastrophic. Has something like that ever happened? That is a very scary thought.

Yes! If you ever read ?'The Perfect Storm', you?ll probably never go to sea again. ;)