I May or May Not have a big problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Keep in mind also, with the new system, do agents have clearance to simply stamp a passport if the system is flagging it for payment of overstay tax? At PUJ at least, the agents aren't authorized to collect the tax, this is done at another desk. I would guess the agent doesn't have the authorization to bypass the system if payment is pending. Has anyone been able to bribe (or contribute to the agent's children's education if it makes them feel better) their way out since it was implemented?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Talk about a "Square Canadian Peg",...in a "Dominican Hole"?
Do you ever leave your "Ivory Tower" here in the DR and see what living here actually is all about?

Leave it to you to bring up holes again.

I do leave my finca from time to time. I do contract services and interact with gringos and locals alike. I go out of my way to avoid situations where I may be in a situation where I will encounter difficulty. I obtained residency so I wouldn't have to worry about coming and going. I don't own a car, so I am not a target for Amet. I don't have to deal with insurance, marbets or any other that other nonsense. If I need a car I rent one or take a taxi. My lifestyle is such that I do not feel compelled to cruise the streets of Sosua after dark so I am never in a situation of having my wallet lifted or inadvertently offending some intoxicated socialite or working girl/guy.

Everyday I choose not to necessarily take the easiest path to fulfillment. I actively create a set of circumstances that reduce the likelihood that I would have to consider another approach. Todate, this has worked well. I have not paid a propina to anyone who I did not feel was deserving of such a reward.

If I can't live here on my terms, then I'll go somewhere else. If I have to drop a ton of cash for my day in court because I won't grease a palm, so be it. It'll be fun, once.

BTW, I'm not placing myself on a pedestal, as there is no practical advantage to me for doing so. That is just the person I am. If I promise to do something, I will do it. I don't lie to or cheat others. If I see RD$50,000 on the back of your toilet while using the facilities in your home, it will still be there when I leave. I bring it up only so that there is mention of a different opinion of how one can successfully live in this country, that does not require sinking to the lowest common denominator.

I choose to live this way. It is not always easy and there is always temptation but I am the only one who has to live with me. No one being able to say that I have ever done them wrong or taken advantage is it's own reward and makes it really easy to look at my own visage in a mirror. I surround myself with like minded people and have no desire or need at this stage of life to tolerate those who cannot pass muster.

"Hell is other people..." Jean-Paul Sartre, 1944
Crime begets more crime...
Low standards facilitates low expectations which brings about unsatisfactory results.

Pick your colloquialism.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Keep in mind also, with the new system, do agents have clearance to simply stamp a passport if the system is flagging it for payment of overstay tax? At PUJ at least, the agents aren't authorized to collect the tax, this is done at another desk. I would guess the agent doesn't have the authorization to bypass the system if payment is pending. Has anyone been able to bribe (or contribute to the agent's children's education if it makes them feel better) their way out since it was implemented?
You don't get the chance at PUJ you are directed to an independent desk with a superior who scans the Passport then charges you before you can even speak with the lady/gent wifh the stamp. They are obviously on to it and have now put measures in place to stop security staff ezrning extra.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Gringo said:
Everyday I choose not to necessarily take the easiest path to fulfillment. I actively create a set of circumstances that reduce the likelihood that I would have to consider another approach. Todate, this has worked well. I have not paid a propina to anyone who I did not feel was deserving of such a reward.

Above is Gringo's quote - lifted from his last post to CCCCCologne

Although I have never been conscious of it, I too endeavor to create a 'simplified' approach to a day in RD.... to avoid conflict, confusion and not overtax my limited RD social skills (language not the least of them)

We are all visitors here - as we remind ourselves frequently here - and cultural differences are apparent everywhere.

How each or any of us navigates that terrain is his/her personal choice.

I have encountered less than my fair share of problems and will strive to continue that.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
This is a strange concept to me - if a govt wants to penalize behavior going forward - fine but retroactively punishing behavior does not provide a very secure environment at all. In any country, not just the DR.

In most Western countries retroactive punishment is not the order of the day as far as I know... imagine raising property taxes retroactively?

We can discuss the intended purpose of the exit fines until the cows come home, but we should be able to agree that its stated purpose is not to offer a blanket alternative to applying for residency for those who wish to LIVE here. 95%+ of visiting tourists are not affected by these charges. A very small and probably statistically insignificant number of people who have come to see this program as a legitimate alternative to being in the country legitimately are the only ones who ever have to deal with this.

One has a choice. Don't be in a situation where these charges come into play. If one chooses to make use of this option then one accepts that the cost and the process will be whatever it is on the day that one presents themselves at a port of departure.

I agree.t Most new regulations at home are not implemented retroactively. The exit fines is not a new program and has a very clear history of changes being applied retroactively. It is also often said that the DR is not like at home so one really shouldn't expect it to be so by default.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I don't just survive!! I thrive!!

i kind of agree. some times people look for a complicated method to deal with whatever issue they have. they call back old favours, they make themselves indebted to others and so on. i have been taught that you solve your problems yourself and only ask for help if there is no other way.

in this case the simplest, fastest and easiest way is to pay the fine, whatever it may be. is it cheapest? no. but likely the airport officers will not follow the book. not to mention wise saying: lo barato sale caro.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
in a pinch --- 20K is better than 70K.....

but 2,500 is better

(Math is my specialty...) hahaha

i find that in the right instances cash is a greaser that works...but i like the passport idea....give them the new one on the way out

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
i find that in the right instances cash is a greaser that works...but i like the passport idea....give them the new one on the way out

If the US Passport is outdated, he is not leaving San Juan once he enters the US. He may not even get on the boat to San Juan. If he has a valid passport obtained from the US Embassy I guess he can play the games many of you suggest, but remember that the DR is getting tougher on these types of things due to pressure from the US and global terrorism. The computer systems are accurate. You don't even have a valid Cedular or Residency. Takeyour wife to La Romana in lieu of the US, legally fix your issue and moving forward follow the rules by keeping your documents up to date.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
If he's been in DR for 13 years, the passport may well simply be expired, and not renewed.

Simplest thing to do is to claim it was lost and need another. That way the 13 year old entry stamp get washed away.

that will not happen.
to get a passport(renew one orget a new one to replace a lost passport) todays you need to proof theat your Immigrations Status is clean/clear. you need to show your residency card to renew your passport and also to receive a new passport to replace a lost one. if you can't provide a residency card, then you only get a Emergency Passport valid for just a few days around your travel date of your flight ticket back home where you then can apply for a new passport/renew a passport/get a lost one replaced etc. if that passport is expired you will no fly with nor without the Lady to PR and hopp on a cruiseship. and you still need to fix your overstaying fee at the airport.
above been some good advise, get some Pesos to the airport and let them stamp your passport with a date from a few months back in 2015.
if you don't have a valid passport, forget the cruise, forget traveling, just stay till da end.

Mike

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
We can discuss the intended purpose of the exit fines until the cows come home, but we should be able to agree that its stated purpose is not to offer a blanket alternative to applying for residency for those who wish to LIVE here. 95%+ of visiting tourists are not affected by these charges. A very small and probably statistically insignificant number of people who have come to see this program as a legitimate alternative to being in the country legitimately are the only ones who ever have to deal with this.

One has a choice. Don't be in a situation where these charges come into play. If one chooses to make use of this option then one accepts that the cost and the process will be whatever it is on the day that one presents themselves at a port of departure.

I agree.t Most new regulations at home are not implemented retroactively. The exit fines is not a new program and has a very clear history of changes being applied retroactively. It is also often said that the DR is not like at home so one really shouldn't expect it to be so by default.

I do agree with your point about the scheme being seen as an alternative to having ones ducks in a row.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Nobody knows whats happen after jun 17th. Maybe nothing, but I have learned that here can happens everything. Thats because I keep my residency upp to date. Just to sleep better and not waking upp with 100 Haitians in a cell just because I met the wrong officer next time I will be stopped after jun 17th

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
that will not happen.
to get a passport(renew one orget a new one to replace a lost passport) todays you need to proof theat your Immigrations Status is clean/clear. you need to show your residency card to renew your passport and also to receive a new passport to replace a lost one. if you can't provide a residency card, then you only get a Emergency Passport valid for just a few days around your travel date of your flight ticket back home where you then can apply for a new passport/renew a passport/get a lost one replaced etc. if that passport is expired you will no fly with nor without the Lady to PR and hopp on a cruiseship.

whew, I am glad Canada is so behind the times and doesn't care about DR residency to issue new passports, nor about what old farts on DR1 think the rules should be.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
that will not happen.
to get a passport(renew one orget a new one to replace a lost passport) todays you need to proof theat your Immigrations Status is clean/clear. you need to show your residency card to renew your passport and also to receive a new passport to replace a lost one. if you can't provide a residency card, then you only get a Emergency Passport valid for just a few days around your travel date of your flight ticket back home where you then can apply for a new passport/renew a passport/get a lost one replaced etc. if that passport is expired you will no fly with nor without the Lady to PR and hopp on a cruiseship. and you still need to fix your overstaying fee at the airport.
above been some good advise, get some Pesos to the airport and let them stamp your passport with a date from a few months back in 2015.
if you don't have a valid passport, forget the cruise, forget traveling, just stay till da end.

Mike

Incorrect information, Mike. I just called the US Consulate in POP. To renew a US passport here is all that is needed:

Two 2X2 front color photos
Old US Passport
$110 US for passport renewal
$16 for Delivery fee

No information on Dominican residency or any other Dominican documentation is required. I did exactly the above a short time ago to renew my US passport.

enmovimiento

May 14, 2015
Hey Windeguy

Do you know how far out you can renew? I have about 2 years remaining. I had pages put in my US PP at the Consulate in Palma Real, and the people who work there are great. Thanks

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Incorrect information, Mike. I just called the US Consulate in POP. To renew a US passport here is all that is needed:

Two 2X2 front color photos
Old US Passport
$110 US for passport renewal
$16 for Delivery fee

No information on Dominican residency or any other Dominican documentation is required. I did exactly the above a short time ago to renew my US passport.

To add to that there is a difference between renewing and reapplying . I do not have a mouse right now and can't figure out how to post a link so look it up. :)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hey Windeguy

Do you know how far out you can renew? I have about 2 years remaining. I had pages put in my US PP at the Consulate in Palma Real, and the people who work there are great. Thanks

I cannot find an official answer but it seems you can Renew any time before it expires since you have to pay for it anyway

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
whew, I am glad Canada is so behind the times and doesn't care about DR residency to issue new passports, nor about what old farts on DR1 think the rules should be.

when did you renew a Canadian Passport with the Canuck Embassy in DR?
as for western european passports it is the going rule since early 2012.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.