I May or May Not have a big problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I cannot find an official answer but it seems you can Renew any time before it expires since you have to pay for it anyway

I have tried to renew and been questions as to why I wanted renewal with x yrs left on the passport.

In my case the US gov't wanted a 'frsh' passport w/ full term to apply their visa to.

The cdn gov't obliged

Others may need new pages.

But 'any time' is not true
remember, paying or not, it is not your property - the gov't will tell you 'when and where' when it comes to passports

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I have tried to renew and been questions as to why I wanted renewal with x yrs left on the passport.

In my case the US gov't wanted a 'frsh' passport w/ full term to apply their visa to.

The cdn gov't obliged

Others may need new pages.

But 'any time' is not true
remember, paying or not, it is not your property - the gov't will tell you 'when and where' when it comes to passports

Like I said, can't find an official answer only found a bunch of people saying stuff like we do here.:)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well, mine is a personal experience..... as I stated it.

A question as to why I wanted to renew at the time.
I had the ready answer and was obliged.

Too early raises questions from the gov't - is my experience.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Like I said, can't find an official answer only found a bunch of people saying stuff like we do here.:)

Our US Passports were in a safe that was flooded by Hurricane Sandy, so they had to be replaced even though there were years left on them. I remember reading that they can only add up to a certain number of extra pages, and you have to renew when they are full, regardless of the time remaining before expiration. Since we had the water-damaged passports, all readable, it was an easy renewal - if they had been lost or unreadable, it would have been a nightmare for us because they required Mr. AE's US Naturalization papers to prove citizenship, lost in the flood.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hey Windeguy

Do you know how far out you can renew? I have about 2 years remaining. I had pages put in my US PP at the Consulate in Palma Real, and the people who work there are great. Thanks

I don't know, but a quick call to Alexandra at (809) 586-8017 should get you the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.