Iberia Opening in Bavaro

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It did, and it was a flop - the businesses that seem to be setting up there now are not food outlets. The ones that are doing OK, like Garum, are downstairs near the cinema, as well as Pizza Hut and Chef Pepper of course.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
It did, and it was a flop - the businesses that seem to be setting up there now are not food outlets. The ones that are doing OK, like Garum, are downstairs near the cinema, as well as Pizza Hut and Chef Pepper of course.

I think part of the problem is the way it's built. If from the first floor you could see up to the second, more people would realize there actually is a second floor. I go there at least twice a week and had never realized that anything was open upstairs up until a few days ago when my mom asked. Maybe some extra signs would help too...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

I am talking about upstairs in Super Pola. That has not opened yet to my knowledge. You are right about the restaurants that did open. Not much business.

But Noah's seems to be doing nice business. They deserve it with a nice varied menu, atmosphere, and prices. But they are not in the Plaza, but next door.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Pichardo! Estas en todos los lados!! jajajajaja Gracias por las fotos!

img01590201112281629.jpg

Normal

Oct 16, 2011
Thanks again! With all of these stores now open it sure makes it a lot easier to shop for food now as compared to just over a year ago!

Amen to that. I can't even imagine going back to shopping at the little mini-markets...I was going broke!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Once the new Coral highway is finished, prices for many items in the modern supermarkets should have a slight adjustment. Produce and other products will be shipped from SD to PC in less than 2 hours, reducing transport costs. Don't expect much changes at Nacional, but definitely something will happen at S?per Pola.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The prices at Pola are relatively reasonable but the place is shabby. Nacional is much nicer and cleaner but also more expensive - but why should one change and not the other?

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
the question is, Iberia will have good prices like it is offering in other locations?
or it will be again a rip-off like any other big supermarket, small supermarket, colmado, etc in this area?????
Tired of realising that some stuff is double price compared to SD or even Higuey.
Living in Bavaro we could face a normal 20-30% increase of prices due to be a touristic area, but 200%-300%???? is everybody insane in this area???? or they are making f... good business with all of us??????

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Iberia is lower end compared to Pola and Nacional. I predict the prices will be higher than the Higuey and La Romana branches but lower than Pola.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
Iberia is lower end compared to Pola and Nacional. I predict the prices will be higher than the Higuey and La Romana branches but lower than Pola.

What I really hope is a "price war" between Iberia, Pola, Nacional ...
and then small supermarkets and colmados doing something about it too ...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

That won't happen in the DR for a good time! There needs to be saturation of these hypermarket/chains in all the major areas, before real competition is forced upon them by the natural predatory practices of biz.

I think that maybe in the 10 to 15 years, the DR will have achieved some saturation in major populate areas. Until then your best hope is that the DR-CAFTA sees major US chains willing to brave the waters of the Caribbean and take on the other owners of the country, so to speak...

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
That won't happen in the DR for a good time! There needs to be saturation of these hypermarket/chains in all the major areas, before real competition is forced upon them by the natural predatory practices of biz.

I think that maybe in the 10 to 15 years, the DR will have achieved some saturation in major populate areas. Until then your best hope is that the DR-CAFTA sees major US chains willing to brave the waters of the Caribbean and take on the other owners of the country, so to speak...

Maybe I am wrong, but having Pola and Iberia, people will start being very sticky with prices, and I really think people will move to the one with cheaper prices even being not much the difference, so the one losing clients will have to compete with prices to make them back and war price will happen! at least hope so! ;)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This is happening already in Punta Cana. If you go to both Nacional and Super Pola you will notice that currently more people shop in Pola. Because the prices are less, not by much though. Now Nacional has lowered prices on a lot of items to compete.

Next time write down prices for both in basic things and compare. You will see it is getting close.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This is happening already in Punta Cana. If you go to both Nacional and Super Pola you will notice that currently more people shop in Pola.
It's also got a lot to do with location - Pola has the edge. Having said that some people in Punta Cana Village shop at Pola because the prices are lower. I only shop there if I happen to be in the San Juan Centre for another reason or if there is something I couldn't find in Nacional, which is rare. I prefer Nacional for reasons of location, hygiene, quality, selection, service, lack of crowds...

rubenpriego said:
They have their special offer days, and cheap veg days - that's the closest we have to a price war at the moment.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I pretty much feel the same as Chirimoya. I am closer to Pola, but I definitely prefer Nacional. But some things you can only find at one but not the other.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The prices at Pola are relatively reasonable but the place is shabby. Nacional is much nicer and cleaner but also more expensive - but why should one change and not the other?
Grupo Ramos has a much bigger food operation with all of its La Sirena and S?per Pola stores than does CCN. This creates some economies of scale and logistic advantages that CCN simply doesn't have.

Feb 7, 2007
When La Sirena opened in Higuey it was crowded. Now the crowds have subsided. There are LOTS of products that are cheaper in IBERIA than they are in la Sirena. And for most of Higuey, La Sirena is NOT conveniently located.

Lowest to Highest prices:
Zaglul
Iberia
Higueyano
La Sirena

Of course, there are some items that are more expensive in one than in another one, or items that are substantially cheaper in one than the other ones. But all in all average, that is the ranking. Zaglul in Higuey has the unfortunate negative trait that it's substantially small than either of its main competitors and therefore they cannot carry all product lines.

In La Romana, these are the lowest to highest prices
Zaglul
Iberia
Hiper Romana
Plaza Lama
Jumbo

based on the above, I woudl assume these would be prices in bavaro, lowest to highest
Iberia
Super Pola
Nacional