Iberia Opening in Bavaro

agw

Feb 14, 2010
Went by there today and talked to someone who seemed to be in charge and he said the store will be open to the public on Saturday. The private 'inauguration' I think he called it, is to be tomorrow. We could see in and the shelves are stocked and they were doing final details.

I am interested in how much bigger than the old Carribe it's going to be!

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
I have been there today. First opening day. About 80% of price stickers were not put on the shelves yet, but workers were trying to update everything as fast as they could.
My first feelings:
- Quite small, compared to Iberia Higuey (maybe be a third or half space)
- Prices not really low ones, just normal ones (but veggies and fruits I realised they were good ones)
- Today no discounts but free items buying others (for example a pack of 2 carnation milk cans wrapped with a free rice bag, things like that)
Unfortunately I think Im gonna keep buying in Pola, it has more to choose from and you also have banks, cellular shops, etc there.
I had too high hopes about this Iberia but they are gone. The only plus it has compared with Pola is that it has "two corridors" of women and men clothes ...
:(

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
I was trying to imagine how it could possibly be as big Iberia in Higuey given the space.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I stopped in this morning. Small, like it was before, can never compete with Super Pola and Nacional. You could never do all your shopping there with the small selection of goods that they have. Also the meat cannot compare to Nacional, nor the veggies to either of the other two.

lachicabelga

Feb 23, 2012
A bit disappointing! Small and the prices are not so low. The meat looks better in Nacional. Let's see what happens when/if? they open the second floor.

Mike_n_Val

Dec 24, 2010
I wouldn't hold your breathe about the second floor I ventured up there and the square footage wont accommodate much. Hopefully they will sell some housewares and maybe some small electronics.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Finally went today for the first time and was NOT impressed. It totally reminded me of the first supermarket I went to in SPM 16 years ago. I actually think the distribution was better before but they obviously needed to get more aisles in for the clothes, etc. Their distribution of the products, now several months after opening, is horrible. The selection is not terrible but so badly presented that I wasn't inspired to buy anything. I walked around the whole thing then headed over to Pola, which is closer for me anyways, and bought everything I needed there. I'm sure the residents in that area appreciate being able to buy stuff locally but I won't be making any special trips that way for groceries.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Finally went today for the first time and was NOT impressed. It totally reminded me of the first supermarket I went to in SPM 16 years ago. I actually think the distribution was better before but they obviously needed to get more aisles in for the clothes, etc. Their distribution of the products, now several months after opening, is horrible. The selection is not terrible but so badly presented that I wasn't inspired to buy anything. I walked around the whole thing then headed over to Pola, which is closer for me anyways, and bought everything I needed there. I'm sure the residents in that area appreciate being able to buy stuff locally but I won't be making any special trips that way for groceries.

also... driving out to pola is an easier drive from Cortecito than going up through Friusa. Less congestion, fewer conchos, etc. (although I kinda enjoy the chaos in small doses... a taste of the flavor of the D.R.)