Illegal Foreigners No Longer Educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I expect to see more of this in the US in the future, also. Not against Haitians, but against illegals.

I was about to tell you how wrong you are, but then I recalled how the Texas school district I work for quietly began collecting data on place of birth of enrollees. It was done quietly, without little notice. I'm holding my breath, as I believe that it'll be used at some time in the future to start weeding out the undocumented. I hope I'm wrong.

(I also understand that being foreign born does not necessarily make you illegal, but place of birth is an important screening point.)

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
And who shall the US ask for reimbursement for the undocumented students they educate? Mexico? the DR? The UN?

You are aware of the fact that by comparing the US with the DR you're basically comparing a mammoth with an ant now, are you?

Aceleron

Aug 9, 2011
Aceleron: Sure let's do that...and in your perfect world they will just go away. Let's bury our heads in the sand and pretend they just don't exist and if we don't educate them then their families won't come and they will just leave. We can see how well that's worked out so far...

Rubia: What constitution? If it actually existed the education system would be getting 4% of the budget as mandated.

Just about the only thing your right about is that it hasn't worked out thus far, this mainly because nothing was being done about this until now. There are laws now, and yes their is a constitution, a much better one than that of Haiti's; which if you ask me serve to protect no one.

The 4% will be implemented during this coming administration. When 4% is applied, what will be the next crying call for all you doubters?

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
You are aware of the fact that by comparing the US with the DR you're basically comparing a mammoth with an ant now, are you?

Yes, but you can't have it both ways. You can't support not educating illegals in the DR, and then demand to have Dominican illegals elsewhere be educated on someone elses dime.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Yes, but you can't have it both ways. You can't support not educating illegals in the DR, and then demand to have Dominican illegals elsewhere be educated on someone elses dime.

If you'll notice, I'm among the ones in favor of educating them (mainly due to the fact that I don't want to see Kreyol being given official status here). I'm just asking you to keep real about which of the two countries is in a better position to play nation builder with the Haitian case.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
The 4% will be implemented during this coming administration. When 4% is applied, what will be the next crying call for all you doubters?

If the 4% is instituted, incuding teacher training, full day school, and mandatory attendance, I'll consider tattooing the Dominican constitution on my backside.

Don't know of anyone out there, besides the government, who is against more money toward education.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
If you'll notice, I'm among the ones in favor of educating them (mainly due to the fact that I don't want to see Kreyol being given official status here). I'm just asking you to keep real about which of the two countries is in a better position to play nation builder with the Haitian case.

Agreed. And I also agree that if you want to deal with illegal immigration, more should be done at the border.

Aceleron

Aug 9, 2011
If the 4% is instituted, incuding teacher training, full day school, and mandatory attendance, I'll consider tattooing the Dominican constitution on my backside.

Don't know of anyone out there, besides the government, who is against more money toward education.

If I recall correctly, this was Danilos main platform, if he reneges on this he loses total credibility. Fact is, a large portion of Dominican voters chose him because of this.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Simple, the UN doesn't give money to any educational system as far as I know.

Perhaps not directly but UNRWA spends about 625 million per year on education for Palestinians, and UNICEF also spends money on education, as does Feed the children, Children InternationaL...etc. There was a lot of donor promises to provide funding for Haitian education.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
If I recall correctly, this was Danilos main platform, if he reneges on this he loses total credibility. Fact is, a large portion of Dominican voters chose him because of this.

And I'm with you on this. He promised it, many want it, it would be great if he follows through.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I don't have a problem with any country that wants to use their resources for their own citizens or those in the country legally as long as they are in the process of deporting these children and the adult illegals back to their country of origin. I also don't have any problem with sending families back where they are legal residents or should be legal residents. But I also think that it is time the US followed the DR's lead and eliminate the use of "anchor babies" being given citizenship through right of birth to mothers that do not have legal status in the country.

I do agree that if you are going to allow the illegal families to stay in the country it is extremely short sighted to deny them basic education and medical care.

I also don't fault the DR for the "stateless" Haitian children - that fault is directly the result of their illegal Haitian parents' decision to have their child in a country that will not recognize the child. They should go back to Haiti, have the child and then become illegals again if they are actually worried about it. A lot of the world's problems would become much smaller if people were held to be personally responsible for their choices and if countries would be responsible for their own citizens. If this means having a hard look at population control for the country then so be it.....

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I do agree that if you are going to allow the illegal families to stay in the country it is extremely short sighted to deny them basic education and medical care.
It looks like they are not going to allow anybody to stay in the country illegally any more. There seems to be a special foreigners regularization plan. This is copied from this website NEW IMMIGRATION REGULATIONS FOR DOMINICAN REPUBLIC -

Foreigner?s Regularization Plan

The new regulation states that the Ministry of Interior Police of the Dominican Republic will begin the Foreigner?s Regularization Plan. When this action plan begins, all undocumented foreigners as well as all the foreigners that over stays their stay permit will be deported back to their countries. This persecution plan will not last longer than 36 months. At the present moment Interior Police is training the Immigration Police force, the regulation is not clear when the first Regularization Plan will begin, it just explains once it begins it can not last more than 36 months, after which it will begin again the next year.

Amnesty

The regulation establishes that every foreigner that can prove 10 years of permanence in Dominican Republic can apply for Permanent Residence, and every foreigner that can prove more than five but less than ten years can apply for Temporary Residency Permit, the rest will be deported. The amnesty only applies for time periods before 2010.

Zulu

May 27, 2012
It's funny that they are cracking down on Haitian Child beggars on the streets, so in other words instead of taking them off the streets and into the classroom they are doing vice verse (from the classroom and back onto the streets). It is going to create chaos

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
But the "less fortunate Dominican" won't do the job the Haitian would.

No matter how pretty Suarenz packages this, if the DR accepts these illegals, the state then becomes complicit in the activity of harboring Illegals.

I wholeheartedly agree with Taino, once these illegals are given free range, soon after their family members in Haity will come across looking for the proverbial greener pasture.

It is widely known that we currently have well over 2 million illegals in the country, just think if each and every one of these illegals has but one family member in Haiti and should those people upon request from their family member already here decide to come over, in no time we will have 4 million illegals.

I hear a lot about pleasing the international community and something or other about human rights, I say when will these international community play their part in making the Haitian government play their part in providing for their nationals? How about this, are Haitian human rights above Dominican human rights?

Honestly, I really don't understand why people actually believe that once these illegals are given same rights as Dominicans, they will then become productive members of society. Fact is life is unfair, if it was, we'd all be sitting around a bonfire singing cum baya, if these illegals are given free range, they will be employed in the same low paying jobs they currently work now. Meaning they will be taking jobs away from the less fortunate Dominican.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
But the "less fortunate Dominican" won't do the job the Haitian would.

Not as long as the local businessmen keep paying peanuts for the job, no. Working in the conditions the Haitians do is tartamount to selling oneself into slavery, specially if we consider the fact that many of them actually live in the construction projects for the duration of them.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Has the Dominican Govt ever tried to get some of post earthquake billions from the Haiti Fund? If PLD Smart Minds put an offer out there maybe they can. If they have not tried they are a$$holes.

Earthquake leads to many Haitians coming to the DR (i bet many of the prisoner escapees too). DR tells those controlling the money to release funds to build, schools, housing and hospitals dedicated to Haitians OR the DR WILL deport all illegal Hatians immediately. If these monies are denied the DR should ask for funds for the mass deportation.
Maybe none of those monies trickled to the DR beacuse of the contract scam the DR Senators (Felix) got caught red handed in, concerning the Haiti contract. Maybe the DR (PLD) is looked down on as not to be trusted!
Haiti?s President, Michel Joseph Martelly, Involved in Corruption Scandal ? theblessedproject

When will Felix see the charges he deserves.

If Haiti had been on a border with Bermuda, you could bet international monies would have been used to find the Hatians and return them.

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006

I read you live in TX so you probably don't come across many Dominicans in the US... So, I will let you in on a little secret. very very very small percentage of Dominicans are illegal in the US and an even smaller percentage of children are. I know of only 1 child out of the probably thousands of people I know that are here illegally because they overstayed their visa... If and when his mom decides to get her papers she can ask for his green card too.

Counties in TX are already discouraging students who are illegal or their parents are illegals from enrolling and this is after they've already tried see the 1982 supreme court case Plyer v. DOE.

I don't agree with a law that prohibits education. But I am interested to know what is the plan what is its purpose.

Then again part of the argument some people make is.... "oh why educate these kids and let them go to school only to prevent them from going to the University" So, TOMA! se quedan sin NA'

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I read you live in TX so you probably don't come across many Dominicans in the US... So, I will let you in on a little secret. very very very small percentage of Dominicans are illegal in the US and an even smaller percentage of children are. I know of only 1 child out of the probably thousands of people I know that are here illegally because they overstayed their visa... If and when his mom decides to get her papers she can ask for his green card too.

Bringing up Dominicans in the US is off topic for this thread, but if what you say is true, then why is it so difficult for a Dominican to get a visitor's visa to the US if practically none of them are there illegally? I have been told by US officials that it is because there are a great many Dominicans who have overstayed their visas and remain illegally in the US that visitor visas for Dominicans are so hard to get which contradicts your statement.

As for preventing illegals from entering the education system, that should be up to the local jurisdiction in any given country to allow or not allow it.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010

Counties in TX are already discouraging students who are illegal or their parents are illegals from enrolling and this is after they've already tried see the 1982 supreme court case Plyer v. DOE.

I don't agree with a law that prohibits education. But I am interested to know what is the plan what is its purpose.

Then again part of the argument some people make is.... "oh why educate these kids and let them go to school only to prevent them from going to the University" So, TOMA! se quedan sin NA'

Well, personally, I do know Dominicans who have come illegally. I know of Americans who have helped them. I cointinue to be amazed at the creativity in an era of tightened controls. You must be from Picahardo's DR if you honestly don't know anyone who came in a yola or used creative paper work to get here.

My observations aren't based on where I currently live. But I agree with you. There are more Mexicans here with legal visas than illegals, but the perception is much different. We'd have to look beyond our personal experience at the statistics. Why is it so hard for an "average" Dominican to get a visa? It has much to do with historic fraud and misuse by fellow Dominicans.

My point simply was that some Dominicans are adamant about sending Haitians back, but don 't share that same fervor for fellow Dominicans who have left the island for the same reason Haitians come--a better life. And even the deportations of criminal Dominicans back to the DR has had an impact. Removing illegal Dominicans from Puerto Rico alone would be noticeable on both sides. So, regardless of the percentage there are areas where they are concentrated.

But if you took my statement to mean that I think most Dominicans in the US are illegal, I don't.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
A lot of the world's problems would become much smaller if people were held to be personally responsible for their choices and if countries would be responsible for their own citizens. If this means having a hard look at population control for the country then so be it.....

Rhetoric.... and it makes sense on paper.

but go take a look at Haiti and the DR and then talk about responsibility.

Have you ever been responsible for feeding your kids but not been able to?
What actions would you consider?... theft, illegal immigration... what would you do? Watch them starve?

The people who seem to rant about responsibility the most are usually those that are not desperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.