Im thinking of moving to DR...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Entradaviva

Jul 22, 2011
This is one of the funnier things I have noticed on this site. People can call each other names, belittle peoples ideas, generally be mean to each other....but call the DR the Dominican...all hell breaks loose....god it's a sin!! It's amazing to me.

The "Republic" in the Dominican Republic was added for a very important reason. Maybe expats should learn about the history of the island country and then they will understand why they are perceived as outsiders and subsequently belittled for their lack of cultural knowledge.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Maggie0517,
You have been fortunate in the advice you have received yet one thing I would like to add: The best motto for there is to remember, you see nothing, you hear nothing and you say nothing. People can get very angry if you try to get involved in their business and can be dangerous. For anyone that says it is not unsafe, depends on where you are living exactly. Some people in some areas survive on scamming and stealing while others work hard earning an honest living to support their families. Culture shock is a good thing to read up on and as a fellow Canadian, I would recommend you not live there full time as it can get very tiring during slow seasons. I loved my experience there, the culture, the people(some like everywhere), the music, the food, the beaches, the relaxation.
However, the grass is not always greener on the other side, just keep that in mind. Living in a place is not like visiting there, life can be very hard and very great all at the same time. I lived there for several months but the danger forced me to leave, so just really watch yourself if you decide to go. I could speak and understand Spanish when I went but my own "friends" permanently borrowed many of my things from there. I recommend if you go, get connected with the Canadian consolate, and use the site nicepeoplenetworking.com If you want more info, dont hesitate to ask about my experience in Dominican Republic earlier this year.
All the best

Interesting post, a lot of contrast in it. On one hand you talk about how great DR was, and on the other you keep referring to the "danger". Along with that you talk about people surviving by scamming, stealing and people actually you said friends permanently taking your things (some friends). Also you emphasize basically minding your own business, because if you don't people will get angry, and it will be dangerous. Don't know where you lived or what you were involved in, but something was going on. And if things were so dangerous, it forced you to move, why didn't you move somewhere else? Why was it so necessary to leave the country, instead of the community?

I respect your privacy, but with this post you opened up a lot of questions. I have lived in the country for four years, and my friends never stole from me, didn't deal with people who scammed and stole, and never felt the danger you speak of.

There was certainly more going on beneath the surface if you ask me.

Last edited:

BeenThereDoneThat

Jul 21, 2011
It was a contrasting experience

Interesting post, a lot of contrast in it. On one hand you talk about how great DR was, and on the other you keep referring to the "danger". Along with that you talk about people surviving by scamming, stealing and people actually you said friends permanently taking your things (some friends). Also you emphasize basically minding your own business, because if you don't people will get angry, and it will be dangerous. Don't know where you lived or what you were involved in, but something was going on. And if things were so dangerous, it forced you to move, why didn't you move somewhere else? Why was it so necessary to leave the country, instead of the community?

I left the town of Sosua and was basically in "secure housing" with help of the Canadian consolate for one month before returning to my country. I could have possibly moved to another area of the island if I had the financial means yet I felt it was a better decision for me to leave. I was just trying to give her an honest opinion without bashing the country, because I do dearly love the country, culture and relaxed life. However, as a fellow Canadian who was a victim of some malicious people, I felt the need to attempt to warn her on a surface level. I found out there is often a game played with us "gringas" and I would hate her to have a story like mine. Long story short, I was threatened, drugged, followed, and scared out of town because of trying to help a friend from being a victim of a scam and this made me a target.
All I can say is read as much as you can Maggie0517, be informed, stick with your friends and be cautious. It is a lovely country with some lovely people, but like everywhere there are bad things that happen that are often connected to the poverty and a survival mentality.
I hope this answers some of your questions Yayow;990560 and maybe now you can see why it contrasts itself. I wish I could be there now, but my safety was far more important and the worry for my family was not worth the life I was living there. Maybe one day, I will return now that I have the knowledge I am trying to share with Maggie0517. I wish you all the best Maggie.

Jan 3, 2003
KK.. Now that we all know where we stand (and I totally know where i made my mistake) we should move on and get back on topic.. :)
Is there some sort of centers in D.R for new comers ie: somewhere where you can learn the language or culture or somewhere where you can meet othre fellow new comers?

Are you religious?

Join a small evangelical church. It's better to join a bunch of simple poor bible thumping Christians than a bunch of hood-rat ghetto club dancers. With the evangelicals, you can make instant friends and they'll look after you without any ulterior motives.

I've seen other foreigners integrate nicely via this method into DR culture. You'll know what to do and what not to do. You'll be thrust into their daily lives and won't have a boring minute to spare.

I feel this is the simplest cheapest way to get to speed with DR culture.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Evengical you said ??

Are you religious?

Join a small evangelical church. It's better to join a bunch of simple poor bible thumping Christians than a bunch of hood-rat ghetto club dancers. With the evangelicals, you can make instant friends and they'll look after you without any ulterior motives.

I've seen other foreigners integrate nicely via this method into DR culture. You'll know what to do and what not to do. You'll be thrust into their daily lives and won't have a boring minute to spare.

I feel this is the simplest cheapest way to get to speed with DR culture.

What if you are not religious or not Christian ?

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
What if you are not religious or not Christian ?
I think the idea of joining a group like this is a marvelous idea, the bottom line is to assimilate the culture not to worship and I'm sure a bit of worship will hurt no one whether you are religious , christian, agnostic etc. means little , you are still a human and you are not giving up any choices, you are merely gaining another experience..

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Beware of Hypocrites

It's better to join a bunch of simple poor bible thumping Christians than a bunch of hood-rat ghetto club dancers. With the evangelicals, you can make instant friends and they'll look after you ...
Yes, even if you retreat into a cave to pray and repent your sins they will help and defend you. :sleep:

Last week there was such a case when local evangelicas praised two young men as devoted worshippers who were living in a cave.
The police shot at them and found a chag?n and ammunition in the cave, one of the men was free on bail (aggravated assault).

donP

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Well been there done that, based on what you said, drugged, followed etc. you certainly did the right thing by getting out of there. You certainly associated with an interesting set of people, and knowing a little bit about Sosua, I can't deny that there are a few shady people who live there (that normally comes to some degree, with "tourist areas". I know some of the Canadians up there and I have associated with them; I lived in Sosua for my first year in the country. The Canadians I know from the area, have lived there many years, and love it there, never have indicated any of the dangers you speak of, at least not to me. You have certainly had a unique experience, especially for someone that was there for only a few months, seems like you jumped right into the fire. But to each his own.

Well I wish you well, good luck in all of your future endeavors (I mean that sincerely). And be careful; from my experience people who have experiences like the ones you are describing, have to be careful, because those types of dangers, tend to follow you where ever you may go.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Yes, even if you retreat into a cave to pray and repent your sins they will help and defend you. :sleep:

Last week there was such a case when local evangelicas praised two young men as devoted worshippers who were living in a cave.
The police shot at them and found a chag?n and ammunition in the cave, one of the men was free on bail (aggravated assault).

donP
Maggie, stay away from caves ! lol

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I think the idea of joining a group like this is a marvelous idea, the bottom line is to assimilate the culture not to worship and I'm sure a bit of worship will hurt no one whether you are religious , christian, agnostic etc. means little , you are still a human and you are not giving up any choices, you are merely gaining another experience..

I understand, but there must be others -more enjoyable ;)-ways to assimilate the culture. To each its own, I guess.

I'll take hood-rat ghetto club dancers. I'll end up with great dancing skills and lose a few pounds while on drugs, not bad after all :) :)

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
I understand, but there must be others -more enjoyable ;)-ways to assimilate the culture. To each its own, I guess.

I'll take hood-rat ghetto club dancers. I'll end up with great dancing skills and lose a few pounds while on drugs, not bad after all :) :)
True there is a certain danger in both over religious and under civilized ? lol I'll take the dancing myself but might be more fun with a bible toten evangelist. Peace ! lol

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
I have been here about 3 years. I have had friends robbed but not myself though my pocket was picked once on the Javilla Tours bus from Santiago. I have seen crimes, but haven't been affected by it, and with my friends, I have dealt with the policia who could care less, even more if you're a foreigner. Once a friend was robbed and he caught the culprit, an ex girlfriend who broke into his home. The fiscalia in Sosua said he doesn't even talk to foreigners, it's their own fault they get robbed. I have seen the good and the bad, and to be honest, most of the major problems that I have personally dealt with have been from ex-pats. Most of the Dominicans live and let live unless you're living " that " kind of life. As one poster said, keep a low profile, trust very few people if any, and you'll be fine. Common sense is the key word here.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Well been there done that, based on what you said, drugged, followed etc. you certainly did the right thing by getting out of there. You certainly associated with an interesting set of people,

Where dis she say she associated with those people. I read her post and it said that she was trying to help a friend from getting scammed. And most likely the scammers git upset, could've been a sanky scam, could have been a business scam....but I certainly didn't see where she write that she associated with these people. I know sometimes you wanna just try to make a point but really, you should read the posts first and never assume

SHALENA

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Where dis she say she associated with those people. I read her post and it said that she was trying to help a friend from getting scammed. And most likely the scammers git upset, could've been a sanky scam, could have been a business scam....but I certainly didn't see where she write that she associated with these people. I know sometimes you wanna just try to make a point but really, you should read the posts first and never assume

SHALENA
maybe still hope for you yet Shalena. lol

BeenThereDoneThat

Jul 21, 2011
Well I would have to disagree about danger following me or that I jumped into the fire. I went there for a vacation and met some very nice kind people and was offered a job. I returned to live there and kept close with my fellow Canadians as well as my new "friends". Sosua is a beautiful town and it is filled with many lovely sites and people yet being a tourist area, it has a high rate of pick pocketing, prostitution, and drugs. All of these are often due to necessity and not maliciousness, yet I know many victims of all three. The new mayor has been working very well at trying to return Sosua to its family focussed tourist town.I went trusting that what people said was true because that was how I was raised. I learned a lot very quickly and now could travel anywhere with the knowledge I gained in my experiences there. That being said I did meet genuinely nice locals who fed me, gave me shelter and security, and were quite sad that I had to leave, as was I.
I feel that Maggie0517 is better informed than I was and for that, I think she will do just fine there. Best of luck to her in her new adventure.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Shalena true often times I do say things to make a point (I find people understand it better that way), why I assumed that she associated with those people however is quite simple, because she classified them as friends, those that scammed her and stole from her, I believe the way she put it was that her friends permanently borrowed her things. If you take the time to classify someone as a friend I have to assume that you associate with them.

Again I am not trying to disparage her in any way, I don't know her or the situation that she speaks of, maybe you do, and therefore you have a better handle on her situation than I do. But as I said my response was strictly based on what was said in her post.

The major point I was trying to make, and obviously I didn't make it clearly enough, is that I know many people who live in this country, many from Sosua, and her situation was a unique situation, not the norm. Although someone who is thinking of moving to the country should be aware of such situations, it should also be pointed out that is not the average ex-pat experience, not saying as it did in this instance, that it can't happen. But then again situations can happen anywhere in the world and you must use common sense to avoid them. Part of that is in choosing your friends wisely, and when you find yourself associating with people of questionable character, it is best to extricate yourself from the situation as quickly and cleanly as possible.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I will try and be more clear in the future.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Well, I do not agree with you. I do not think that you can always judge who will be a good friend and who won't. I have had friends deep in the church rob me, while my friends deep in the club helped me out on more than one occasion in ways I can never repay. I have had working, upstanding married men friends try to sleep with me and thugged out drug dealer friends who have taken me out and never even kissed me.
When bad fortune befalls someone by a friend, I in no way use the "well, look who you associated with" line. You can't judge a book by its cover and you can't judge a wound by the bandage.

SHALENA

P.S. but I understand what you're saying

Status
Not open for further replies.