Interracial Relationships In The Dr...

Status
Not open for further replies.

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
Criss Colon said:
Same hair,kinda "Chubby" Likes "White" girls TOO!
ccccccccccc

Chris,

No comment! I'll let you take the wrath of AZB with NO help from me ;) .

Yvette

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
But what if she has long straight hair?

AZB said:
Now if the woman is a white gringa, overweight and speaks like a biker, then I am sure, not many would want to spend the rest of their lives with that person. Get my point?...same hold for a white woman who weighs 300lbs and looks unhealthy. No one will be attracted to her unless the guy has recently been released from serving 20 yrs prison term.
Got a phone# by any chance?

JRR

Dec 9, 2004
I can only comment on color by telling you all a story.

First I am a "gringo" white Jewish boy from Long Island. I have traveled most of the US and the rest of the world.

When I first arrived here I met someone who I saw as absolutely beautiful. We went out for awhile and during one of our times together we were sitting on the couch in my apartment. Suddenly she turns to me and says, " J, how do you feel about going out with a black girl" I answered with "I don't know, I never went out with a black girl!" "J! I'm black!"

To me she wasn't black as I saw her only as a Dominican beauty. There is no color when you see the person beyond!

bill11

Dec 19, 2004
Scandall
Dominicans themselves tend to keep to people of similar color than themselves

Everywhere in the world people tend to marry people of similar color,not only in Dominican Republic. So I would disagree with the opinion that interracial relationships are common whether it would be Dominican Republic USA or Europe.Ther are of course a lot of people all over the world that marry foreigners or people of different color then themselves but still the persent of that in comparison with those who do not is too low to call it common.

Personally I could care less about someone's race and/or color but Dominicans have more of a hang-up with color when compared to Americans or Europeans.

Here you are right. I would say that the dominicans are demasiado preoccupied with their race and color.That is why the question,in one form or another, arises frequently on this board. Probably the answer to this lies in the history of this country.

May 31, 2005
bill1 said:
Here you are right. I would say that the dominicans are demasiado preoccupied with their race and color.That is why the question,in one form or another, arises frequently on this board. Probably the answer to this lies in the history of this country.
Oh please. A lot of the people on this board are not Dominican. Plus, most of the people that start those threads you are speaking of are not even Dominican. That's why they ask. If they were Dominicans or lived in the Dominican Republic they would know.

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
Mr_DR said:
You hit it dead on the nail Ricardo.

Mr. DR,

Are the Domnicans just as money conscious as the Americans? And are you saying that if you have money, they put race on the back burner?

Yvette

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Yes!

yvette said:
Mr. DR,

Are the Domnicans just as money conscious as the Americans? And are you saying that if you have money, they put race on the back burner?

Yvette
Of course Dominicans are very maticulate about the way they Dress and the material things they own. It's all about Status, and that means you need Money, I believe most cultures especially the US and including the DR will put race second to money, look at the possibility of Tiger Woods, Seal, Cuba Gooding jr. and most NBA, NFL & MLB players, let's not forget us tourist gringos.

p.s. Look at the Gorgeous Knockout Melanie Knauss with Donald "You're Fired" Trump.

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
Ricardo900 said:
Of course Dominicans are very maticulate about the way they Dress and the material things they own. It's all about Status, and that means you need Money, I believe most cultures especially the US and including the DR will put race second to money, look at the possibility of Tiger Woods, Seal, Cuba Gooding jr. and most NBA, NFL & MLB players, let's not forget us tourist gringos.

p.s. Look at the Gorgeous Knockout Melanie Knauss with Donald "You're Fired" Trump.

I guess THE MEAN GREEN is about the best peace and race negoitiator there is!

Yvette

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
?!!?!?

My point of view.

Dominicans care about every thing, if you are dating a blond people says "waoo you got a rich gringa or rich rubia" if the girl is black "Where you got Haitian girl?" / "You got a gringo with money" or where you got that "Moreno" = Dark skin

You see many many Dominicans sort of mixed skin color "They believe" that they are white and that dark skin people cant be around their places because are consider chopos.

I don't know exactly the direction or the why for the question but honestly don't bother thinking about what people think about mix relationship. Just be happy and let the rest of barrios be jealous about you happiness.

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
simpson Homer said:
My point of view.

Dominicans care about every thing, if you are dating a blond people says "waoo you got a rich gringa or rich rubia" if the girl is black "Where you got Haitian girl?" / "You got a gringo with money" or where you got that "Moreno" = Dark skin

You see many many Dominicans sort of mixed skin color "They believe" that they are white and that dark skin people cant be around their places because are consider chopos.

I don't know exactly the direction or the why for the question but honestly don't bother thinking about what people think about mix relationship. Just be happy and let the rest of barrios be jealous about you happiness.

simpson Homer,

I agree with your point of view.

Yvette

Gumby

Aug 3, 2005
My success and comments

This is my first post on this website however, I have been visiting this website for a little over a year. I also live in the Dominican Republic. I am replying to this last post as well as general comments from the rest of this section.

I simply hope to offer some first hand insight!

I have been in an interracial relationship for about 11 months now. It so far is the best realtionship I have had in my life! In fact I have never been happier! I wouldn't say that this has anything to do with the fact that we are of different races, cultures, or pardon the expression, "from different worlds". We are simply two people who love one another for who we really are....not because of the color or our skin, where we were born, what we do etc. Love is blind doesn't anyone else remember this phrase!! I wouldn't say that beauty, attraction and our cultural differnces and skin color don't have soemthing to do with our initial attraction to each other. After all attraction and so on, is what gets you started in a realtionship. Whether the ralationships lasts, you fall in love with each other, and have a successful relationship is determined on other factors metioned above. When you truly love someone you love them for the person they are not their skin color, race, culture and so on.

I would say that interracial relationships are as commom here in the DR as they are anywhere in the world. (not that this statement is very accurate but I think it works)

You will see all types of Dominican relationship combinations as well as many foreigner/dominican realationships. Just as you see these combinations in the US, Canada, the United Kingdom and many more countries.

That's all for now...All coments welcome!

Gumby

yvette said:
On the recent thread: "The Class System," there were and abundant number of posts regarding, not the Class System, but Race. I am NOT looking for an argument, nor a fight, just well articulated facts. My question is this: Are interracial relationships common place in the DR, and can you share some success stories on how you have made it work?

Yvette

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Scandall said:
Nelly makes an interesting point. It is not all encompassing but it is probably true in many cases. In a mixed (Dominican and Foreigner) relationship the Dominicana is sometimes looked down on by Dominicans as a "ho" or the Dominicano as a "Sankie" even though they may be far from either.

Scandall

PS: I meant no disrespect to any of the many "hoes" or "Sankies" that inhabit this board. They provide us with lots of material.

Most people assume that if a white woman and a Dominicana man are together then it must be only for financial gain for the guy. And I'm sure that's the case in many situations. I've been out with a Dominican guy several times, I suppose you could call it dating, and we get "looks" sometimes but for the most part, everyone has been very accepting, especially his family and friends. He's not a sankie by any means, just one of the local guys I met through a friend.

When we go out, it is strictly to places like Patio de Johnny's or La Barricas and I'm usually the only gringa in there. Only a few people have ever made any smart *** remarks. But I have noticed that every time the bill comes, the waitress will look at me expectantly and then will usually look surprised when he takes his wallet out.

But no, I haven't seen too many instances of dating interracially being a problem.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Lookie here!

sunshine_79 said:
Most people assume that if a white woman and a Dominicana man are together then it must be only for financial gain for the guy. And I'm sure that's the case in many situations. I've been out with a Dominican guy several times, I suppose you could call it dating, and we get "looks" sometimes but for the most part, everyone has been very accepting, especially his family and friends. He's not a sankie by any means, just one of the local guys I met through a friend.

When we go out, it is strictly to places like Patio de Johnny's or La Barricas and I'm usually the only gringa in there. Only a few people have ever made any smart *** remarks. But I have noticed that every time the bill comes, the waitress will look at me expectantly and then will usually look surprised when he takes his wallet out.

But no, I haven't seen too many instances of dating interracially being a problem.
Sunnie, check your PM.

bill11

Dec 19, 2004
Gumby
"I would say that interracial relationships are as commom here in the DR as they are anywhere in the world."

Gunby,I do not agree with you on that interracial relationships are common here and anywhere, read my previous post to see why.

Even more than that, I think interracial relationships in the DR are too much different from those in Europe and the USA where people treet each other equally does not matter what color they are. When too people meet they are more concerned about other things in each other than just color and if they meet it is because they really have feelings for one another. Here in the DR it is different. With a few exeptions there are some other reasons for chosing a partner here in interracial relationships even between Dominicans themselves.
As Stodgord said:
"Dominicans themselves tend to keep to people of similar color than themselves. Example: a light skinned Dominican from the upper class just doesn't end up marrying a dark skinned Dominican. (This is a general statement so please don't come back with the one example of your albino friend who is married to a Haitian). If they don't marry someone of a similar color tone then they usually try to "Marry Up". Don't get mad at me for saying it. I'm just posting what I see and hear. I didn't say I agree with it."

What are the reasons -I dunno. The past of this country? Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.