Is Boco Chica really that bad???

New2DR

Dec 3, 2013
thanks but i already paid for all inclusive so i have to stick with this tour company and i dont really want to spend even more money. is there any nightlife at all in JD for young guys or would I have to travel somewhere else? Also is it that much safer than Boca Chica??

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
The two links I posted are reviews for Hotels in Bavaro from your list of alternatives offered to you or?

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
new2dr..i have been going to santo domingo for the last 6 years and drive regularly to boca chica...almost every second or third day of my trip .I have never been offered drugs....the women you can just say no and then ignore them...same with the vendors ...the tourists who show some interest in their goods will get hassled
I have never felt unsafe and I have eaten at the beach and found the food good and cheap
sanot domingo is at the most a 30 minute drive from boca chica
I would say enjoy the beach and take regular trips into santo domingo...the colonial zone is beautifull and very safe
as in any country ...keep your eyes open and be aware of your surroundings ...would you walk down a dark street in nyc at 4 am in the morning...don't be falling around drunk out of your mind
you will have a great time
let us know how you get on

MsGreenEyez

Jul 21, 2013
The Dominican Republic is a beautiful country...but Boca Chica is dirty.....I would recommend The Boat House..it is a fun and safe place to hang out...take lots of small bills..get a safe in the room, don't take all your cash with you. People are going to harass you to buy 'things', everyone is a hustler in BC. Usually a firm No Gracias and a finger wiggle will get them away from you. Have fun!

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I would look at the 2 resorts in Juan Dolio if you are not too excited about Boca Chica now. I lived in Juan Dolio and spent time in Boca Chica also. For a rookie traveler to the DR I recommend JD over BC.
Barcel? Capella and Coral Costa Caribe. Both resorts are a couple of steps above the one you have booked in Boca Chica.
I would not recommend the resorts in Punta Cana that you are being offered for a couple of reasons. The resorts are old and bottom of the list in Punta Cana. Plus, if you are flying into Santo Domingo you will waste 3 hours each way traveling to PC.
Whatever you decide go and have a grand old time. Save your money so you can make a choice based on your wants for a
vacation.
I am in no way putting you down for picking a resort based on price. That is exactly what I did on my first trip to the DR.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what is the discussion about? the OP booked a holiday in all inclusive and does not want to spend more money. stay in all inclusive, enjoy the beach and the food and just chill. why venture out? boca chica is nothing interesting and worth exploring in terms of culture and sightseeing. if you want adventure then take few of the excursions from the hotel to see what DR is like: SD, horse riding, jeep safari, whatever takes your fancy.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
what is the discussion about? the OP booked a holiday in all inclusive and does not want to spend more money. stay in all inclusive, enjoy the beach and the food and just chill. why venture out? boca chica is nothing interesting and worth exploring in terms of culture and sightseeing. if you want adventure then take few of the excursions from the hotel to see what DR is like: SD, horse riding, jeep safari, whatever takes your fancy.

He has the option from the company he booked from to switch to other A1's . He is on a limited budget and
does not want to spend money on travel or excursions.

Last edited:

Stefan1983

Nov 6, 2013
Boca Chica is fun to visit a couple of times when you are with Dominicans, and very 'different' without.

Go to Cabarete!! Lot's of youngsters from all over the world, lots of restaurants and bars right on the beach, beach sports and all the other things that can be enjoyed, but less in your face.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Boca Chica is fun to visit a couple of times when you are with Dominicans, and very 'different' without.

Go to Cabarete!! Lot's of youngsters from all over the world, lots of restaurants and bars right on the beach, beach sports and all the other things that can be enjoyed, but less in your face.
He will on his next trip. After he saves some money. This trip is booked and Cabarete is not one of the options of places he can switch to.

New2DR

Dec 3, 2013
Thank you Dulce and everyone who has posted trying to help me out. Please keep the suggestions coming! This is really helping me make an educated decision. This forum is great. Any good bars in Juan Dolio? And is it better to bring US dollars or Peso? Do Canadian debit cards work at ATMS?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
And is it better to bring US dollars or Peso? USD

Do Canadian debit cards work at ATMS? Yes, watch the fees.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I consider myself a seasoned traveller. I have been to many places around the world as well as lived overseas. I booked a vacation all inclusive with a good buddy to the don juan beach resort in Boco Chica because well Im sad to say it was CHEAP, I heard DR is beautiful And Ive already been to Mexico a few times. Bad news is my buddy has backed out because he heard it is too dangerous. I am pretty street smart and I dont plan on looking for girls or drugs so Im not too worried about it but I started doing some research on my own and a lot of people paint a really grim picture. I would rather talk to people that actually are more familiar so I joined this forum.
1. Safe to travel alone?
2. Safe to explore the city? I don' want to be stuck in my hotel room.
3. Safe at night?
4. Any tips or advice for a young canadian travelling alone for the first time in DR?
Sadly unlike my friend I am unable to get a refund just credit possibly so I guess I am just looking for some advice.
Thanks for your input and its a pleasure meeting everyone.

Man, don't believe any of the negative garbage you're hearing. Your "buddy" is an idiot.

Stick to your original plan and go to Boca Chica and have fun. Boca Chica is not any more dangerous than any other tourist beach anywhere in the Caribbean. Definitely safer than Mexico. These folks sound like you have to step over junkies and crack heads as the dealers push dope in your face walking down the street. It's BS. You won't even hear about drugs if you don't ask about them and I strongly suggest that you don't.

It's a very small beach town with a limited gastronomical variety (mostly fake Italian food) and I pretty much exist on a diet of fish, fruit and vegetables when there but the beach, though not large is protected versus say Juan Dolio where the undertow is a factor. Boca Chica beach is like a big wading pool and you can walk out 100 yards before you have to swim.

There are more than a lot of vendors and beggers at the beach but as long as you're on the resort beach thay've got folks who will run them off for you. The resort isn't spectacular, it's ordinary, even by Dominican standards but it's not disgusting and usually everything works. They also have generator power for those nights when the power goes out along the Duarte strip.

There are a few simple bars along Duarte and someone already mentioned "El Batey" which is the night club at the end of the street. There's a little more to the night life scene off the beaten path but your best off not wandering too far off until you get your bearings and you can easily walk to everything you need from the resort.

You will meet Americans and Canadians at the regular bars like the Boat House but only believe 20% of what they tell you. There are far too many "experts" among the expat crowd so limit your exposure to them. I'm also sure that you'll meet up with Guys staying at the resort who will be willing to wing with you.

Boca Chica is Safe, Cheap and Easy.

Go. Enjoy.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
There's a BanReservas with two ATM's at the parking lot and an armed (rusty shotgun) security guard on duty from morning until early evening which will issue 10,000RD at a time just a few blocks East of the resort. The receprion can point it out. The ATM fee is less than the exchange fee the hotel will charge and it's safer than standing out on Duarte counting your exchange in front of every tiguere in stones throw.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Just go and have fun. If you don't feel safe turn around and head back to the hotel. I have been to Europe, south America, east Europe, Mexico and caribean since my early twenties. If you don't like it next time go somewhere else and chaulk it up to expierience

New2DR

Dec 3, 2013
Thanks guys. sounds like it cant be much worse than playa del carmen in Mexico which i loved. Ill let everyone know how it goes. Just ****in sucks goin on vacation alone. I have this feeling I might get bored in Juan Dolio.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
when I went it was almost always alone. When you travel alone you can be anyone you want to be and do whatever you want to try and nobody is going to critize you unless you tell your friends back home

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I live in Boca Chica and have lived in Juan Dolio.
Juan Dolio is dead and nice for people 50 and above.
Boca Chica is "ugly" but great to have fun.
If you decide to come to BC then look me up and I'll make sure you'll have the time of your life