Is Ikea Open?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have a feeling Ikea have done their research, being that they're the largest mover of furniture in the world. With 300+ stores in 35 countries and 22 billion euro turnover.

Their goal is to provide affordable home furnishings in every market they operate.
They do that in all the markets they operate, I'm sure the DR will be the same.

Also, I'm sure they are fully aware of the humidity and how to handle it, they have stores that are very successful in Singapore, Malaysia, Australia etc. All these countries have humidity that makes the DR seem like Iceland.

Most of their stuff is shipped in flat packs and self assembly, now that might prove interesting here :)

Cibaeno

Feb 7, 2009
Most of their stuff is shipped in flat packs and self assembly, now that might prove interesting here :)

I guess that will work the dominican way: there will be guys that know how to set up self assembly furniture and they will wait outside on the parking space waiting for the customers leaving IKEA and then offer their service (similar to taxi drivers at the airport). Sure that the cost depends on the size of the flat pack :rolleyes:

But I guess you are right on what you said. I was just wondering a bit :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i like some of IKEA design and concepts, not to mention cheap decoration stuff: rugs, boxes, lamps etc.

not 100% sure how they offer is gonna catch on seeing that dominican houses (rich or poor) are filled with dark sturdy furniture... i moved my bed in the UK with no effort (not IKEA but argos, the same cheap pine wood) but putting our bed together (darn caoba) resulted in sudden crack and inability to breath deeply/laugh for few weeks.

self assembly... i can see it with the eyes of imagination: a muscular macho throwing away the instruction in i-can-do-it-better show and then digging in the trash to find an intelligible wet piece of paper after breaking one or two parts :)

indeed, IKEA may not last for long but i don't mind buying a new sofa every few years if it's cheap. and the institution of popular tapiceria shows that dominicans get tired with the design as well.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i have built quite a few pieces of furniture and a few cabinets that came in a big box with instructions. i am very mechanically inclined, work on my own boat, car, bike motors, wristwatches. putting knock down furniture together is always a nightmare, instructions have to be followed exactly, and if you use the wrong size screw in step 11 then you are gonna be screwed at step 33. now the dominican way of building is to throw out the directions...................this is going to be hilarious.........

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
i have built quite a few pieces of furniture and a few cabinets that came in a big box with instructions. i am very mechanically inclined, work on my own boat, car, bike motors, wristwatches. putting knock down furniture together is always a nightmare, instructions have to be followed exactly, and if you use the wrong size screw in step 11 then you are gonna be screwed at step 33. now the dominican way of building is to throw out the directions...................this is going to be hilarious.........
I agree. I am one of those rare ones that are good at assembling things (bikes, furniture, assorted stuff), but that's because I am not only so inclined, going to engineering school also helped. I am wondering what their customers will do when they find out the skruv doesn't fit in the h?l.

Anyway... can anyone please update me about when Ikea expects to open. I gotta buy some bookcases and I've been quoted here some expensive enough to buy half Ikea.

Last edited:
Reactions: Celt202

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Late

can anyone please update me about when Ikea expects to open. I gotta buy some bookcases and I've been quoted here some expensive enough to buy half Ikea.

With any luck will be open by the end of the year, still a long way to go. and what is a skruv and hal so we can all put coffee through the nose?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
great

oh prutta, thanks learned a couple of new ones to try on my grandkids, they taught me prutta

Chrismic

Mar 28, 2008
i would guess at a screw and a hole ....but im not very good at guessing games

Very close.

"if the screw doesn't fit into the hole"

It is very important to understand the instruction schema correctly, have struggle several times to understand the schema.
Often miss you a screw in the box, it is no extra spare screws in the packages and often are they sold out of things you want to buy

Ikea in other citiies is also famous for have a cheap and good cafeteria, where you can get food as authentic Swedish meatballs,
In my country visit many families Ikea just the eat cheap and good food.

Ikea is also famous for be a good place to meet single persons, since so many get divorced and will move out and then need new furniture to their new apartment

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Very close.

"if the screw doesn't fit into the hole"
.........Ikea is also famous for be a good place to meet single persons, since so many get divorced and will move out and then need new furniture to their new apartment

I see a new cottage industry: IKEA SANKIES

Harnessing the creativity of the parasitically inclined

'Pa 'lante que vamos..que un pais de maravilla ;)

:laugh:

El Chor?zo

Aug 23, 2009
Ikea

IKEA has everything you need to furnish a house under one roof. From kitchen cabinets to a bath towel. IKEA designs there own products and find innovative ways to keep that high quality at a low cost. That's a good thing to hear since we all know about this global economy.
IKEA also inspires you by there wide range of styles, awsome functional design and at a good cost. They offer 50 to 60 room settings from modern to country, which give you endless ideas to decorate your household or rental property. The majority of there products are flat packaged so that you can take home that day to enjoy. Also within the shopping experience they offer a place where kids can play while you shop or take a break and eat some Swedish meatballs for which there known for. You can find whatever you need there.
IKEA has different visions and thoughts on how to decorate the world. And they do a good job at it. It's also exciting to see IKEA coming to a new market like Santo Domingo. I know it will do extremely well. Weather you buy a whole kitchen for your house or just a reading lamp for your desk.... you wont come out empty handed.
On a more personal note: I have been working for IKEA 12 yrs as a interior designer and hopefully plan to move to Santo Domingo and live there. I have seen LOTS of homes and rental properties that are furnished and i will tell you.... they need IKEA help!

0-out

Aug 19, 2004
Thank you Chorizo - I thought you would also add, as you have 12 years of experience, is that the majority of furniture is cheaply made and veneered - so don't expect it to last long. You will also find that pieces are missing so when you get home you need to go back to get a replacement. 14 years of suffering UK Ikea.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thank you Chorizo - I thought you would also add, as you have 12 years of experience, is that the majority of furniture is cheaply made and veneered - so don't expect it to last long. You will also find that pieces are missing so when you get home you need to go back to get a replacement. 14 years of suffering UK Ikea.

I've bought numerous pieces IKEA furniture- bedroom and living room over the years and never had a piece missing. I had a water Buffalo chair and couch that lasted from 1987 to 2004. Survived 3 children from 4 years old to adulthood.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

That has not been my experience in the past, in the UK and Australia with IKEA.