Is Ikea Open?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
See how long pressedwood furniture lasts in this humid climate.

El Chor?zo

Aug 23, 2009
IKEA keeps the high quality at low cost to the masses. But IKEA has pieces that are high quality materials like leather, solid wood, velvet and linens. Also too one must understand that when buying products that have to be assembled is to make sure that there build properly according to the directions and also understand how much abuse you put into the product over time. For example: A person may buy a specific product and don't read the weight requirements and when built, they add to much and have a possibility of a collapsing due to not reading the weight requirements. I myself have never had pieces missing from any products that I have purchased at IKEA and yes its understandable there may be occasions that something may be damaged or may be missing as like London_Calling said. But the good thing is that IKEA has spare part for all of there products. Most companies make you bring the whole item back to get a whole new one. As to where IKEA, you just bring in what's damaged or ask for the part that your missing and get it right then and there. Simple as that.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
IKEA keeps the high quality at low cost to the masses...IKEA has spare part for all of there products. Most companies make you bring the whole item back to get a whole new one. As to where IKEA, you just bring in what's damaged or ask for the part that your missing and get it right then and there. Simple as that.

As a card carrying member of the somewhat washed mob that is good news.

I'm anxiously looking forward to their opening. I passed by there yesterday and the progress on the construction is noticeable since the last time I passed by there 2 or 3 weeks ago.

:laugh:

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
IKEA prices

Just curious if anyone knows: Will the items for sale in Santo Domingo's IKEA be comparable with the prices in the US IKEA catalogue?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Just curious if anyone knows: Will the items for sale in Santo Domingo's IKEA be comparable with the prices in the US IKEA catalogue?

That's a question nobody on this board can answer, unless they work for IKEA.

Take a look at the various IKEA online stores, compare the prices to the exchange rate and that will give you an idea. I have a feeling it will not be a cheap as the USA. If they did that, they would wipe out pretty much every furniture store here.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
That's a question nobody on this board can answer, unless they work for IKEA.

Take a look at the various IKEA online stores, compare the prices to the exchange rate and that will give you an idea. I have a feeling it will not be a cheap as the USA. If they did that, they would wipe out pretty much every furniture store here.
Which is exactly who it works...Home Depot, Office Depot, Wal-Mart, Costco, IKEA....once these big box stores come, the "little guy" is gone and since IKEA is shipping directly to the DR (and not throught the U.S.A.) the prices will be low enough to strain "local furniture stores".

That being said, IKEA does not carry the unique furniture found in the local DR market (ie: Mahogany) so those that are smart enough to merchandise thier stores for that niche can survive.

linmagic

Sep 20, 2009
Would that be a national holiday for the opening of IKEA or the lovely Whirleybird's birthday! :cheeky:

Lin
:bunny:

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Hope you are right!!

Inauguration of ikea on
dec 02 2009.

But things in the D.R., have a tendency of not going off as planned, lots of examples could be cited. But on the bright side, great progress has been made, and when you pass by it, you can tell it is an IKEA.

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
That being said, IKEA does not carry the unique furniture found in the local DR market (ie: Mahogany) so those that are smart enough to merchandise thier stores for that niche can survive.
True. I would prefer to buy locally made furniture, not only because it supports the local economy, but because it is very attractive, well manufactured and far superior to the assemble-yourself-kits typically available at the big box stores.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
ikea2t.jpg

ikeaz.jpg

courtesy of Duarte101

15112009160.jpg

15112009161.jpg

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Any news? Is 2nd December still a go? I'm DYING to get to IKEA.
No, there was a news item a couple of weeks ago that mentioned February 2010. I thought this had been posted in the forums too, but maybe it was in one of the other Ikea anticipation threads.