Is it safe to bring gold coins into the DR?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, here may be some on topic answers: https://nestmann.com/moving-precious-metals-internationally-the-essentials/
but i am far more interested in the off topic butt plug subject :)
BelgianK, i think this 24 carat is only gold coated. that is before you use it. because afterwards the coating is far less precious ;)
and something tells me that aduanas will not rush to confiscate that... :)

anyways, scorpion king, there are lots of ifs in you post. too many, in fact. you may notice that while the gold prices sky rocketed in the 80's (inflation adjusted), they dropped just as quickly. maybe you will be better off investing in something else? diamonds are small and valuable. easy to transport too.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
umm. Time to put my tin foil hat back on.... :)

I'm serious, this isn't a game. You do realize that currencies collapse right? Ever heard of the "corralito" in Argentina, where the government froze the bank accounts of its citizens back in 2001, and then devalued the Argentine peso against the dollar? Some Middle Class Argentines lost everything overnight. Anyone who keeps all their money in banks or paper money will get what they deserve. Apparently you haven't read much history, there have been currency collapses in Germany, Yugoslavia, Zimbabwe, too many countries to mention. If you think it can't happen in the USA you're mistaken......

Oh, and by the way, China, Russia, Iran, and India are making moves away from the American dollar. The US dollar is currently the world's reserve currency, but that is slowly changing. What do you think will happen to the American dollar once the other nations of the world start moving away from it? It is happening as we speak. Here is the truth......gold and silver have stood the test of time, and have been used as money for 5,000 years. I'd like you or someone else here to name me one paper currency that has lasted that long....

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
well, here may be some on topic answers: https://nestmann.com/moving-precious-metals-internationally-the-essentials/
but i am far more interested in the off topic butt plug subject :)
BelgianK, i think this 24 carat is only gold coated. that is before you use it. because afterwards the coating is far less precious ;)
and something tells me that aduanas will not rush to confiscate that... :)

anyways, scorpion king, there are lots of ifs in you post. too many, in fact. you may notice that while the gold prices sky rocketed in the 80's (inflation adjusted), they dropped just as quickly. maybe you will be better off investing in something else? diamonds are small and valuable. easy to transport too.

I don't really trust diamonds......because I've read and heard that diamond prices are manipulated. The rumor is that DeBeers(which has almost a global monopoly on diamonds), keeps a bunch of diamonds off the world market and sealed in vaults to keep the price artificially high. Is it true? I don't know, but a lot of people are saying it. Gold and silver have a proven track record that diamonds simply cannot rival. The Romans, Greeks, Egyptians, everyone used gold or silver. Diamonds? Not so much, and there has to be a reason for that. I'm reading that article you linked to now, I appreciate the link.

Bavaro golfer

Aug 9, 2012
How to Move and Securely Store Gold Overseas

I'm planning on moving to the DR at the end of November. However, I need to make some arrangements before I leave, and one of the biggest issues I have is what to do with my precious metals. I have a bunch of silver (over 200 ounces), too much to bring through an airport without drawing unwanted attention. However, I have a much smaller amount of gold (under ten ounces).

I understand your question. And I understand why it will not be safe to leave it in the USA. Read this and see if it helps: How To Move & Store Gold Overseas - Gold Speculator . It's OK to contact me directly for discussion.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I don't trust safe deposit boxes. I notice at lot of you guys are recommending this. Did you guys know that gold was outlawed in the US under the Roosevelt administration?

The Roosevelt Gold Confiscation Order Of April 3 1933.

It could happen again, and if it does, I don't want to have my gold sitting in the USA. Many of you are also recommending leaving it here, but with who? If you were me, who would you trust holding your gold and silver? I don't trust anybody other than me, not even my own mother. The American government has set a precedent for confiscating metals, this means they can do it again. If that happens the last thing I want is to be down there in the DR, with my metals here. Then it will be impossible to get it out.

You don't trust US banks safe deposit boxes, but you are going to trust the DR? GOOD LUCK with that.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Do you really think the US govt is going to go through every safe deposit box in the country? Why dont you make it into a necklace or bracelet? You know thats what link chains were for each link was a standard weight and it was used as a currency.
If you are moving to a new country and twenty grand is worrying you it may not be time for you to leave the bunker LOL
Just kidding.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Escorpion Oscuro"
You,should not ever come to the DR!
YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY A CONSPIRACY Theory,"Nut Job",and know absolutely "Nada" about this country!
I would like to see the "Huge Home" you can buy here for $22,000.
Never Happen!
"Huge Homes" start at well over $100,000,if they are located in the "Campo".
In SD,and Santiago you will need twice that!!
Ocean view,3 times that!
Remember,if the USA gets a cold,the DR will get "pneumonia"!
If you can't trust your own mother in the USA,do you think you can find ANYONE here you can trust?
Actually,bring it ALL down,we could all give you a Big DR1,"I Told You So".
If you don't believe ANYONE who has given you very good advice here,(We have 100,000 years combined knowledge)
You don't know $HIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By the way,"Welcome To DR1" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cris Colon,CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
CC... I think you better stop keeping your feelings bottled up, it's not good for your health. Just tell us what you really think!!! Let it all out mi amigo!!! LOLOL

P.S. I LOVE reading when you say exactly what you think.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
CC... I think you better stop keeping your feelings bottled up, it's not good for your health. Just tell us what you really think!!! Let it all out mi amigo!!! LOLOL

P.S. I LOVE reading when you say exactly what you think.

I second that! :)

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I'm planning on moving to the DR at the end of November. However, I need to make some arrangements before I leave, and one of the biggest issues I have is what to do with my precious metals. I have a bunch of silver(over 200 ounces), too much to bring through an airport without drawing unwanted attention. However, I have a much smaller amount of gold(under ten ounces).

There are offshore storage facilities for metals used by investors - for instance goldsilver.com offers a choice of Brinks' warehouses in Salt Lake City or in Hongkong, when you buy from them - and they ship and insure. They may be able to help you with the shipping process.

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
I'm planning on moving to the DR at the end of November. However, I need to make some arrangements before I leave, and one of the biggest issues I have is what to do with my precious metals. I have a bunch of silver(over 200 ounces), too much to bring through an airport without drawing unwanted attention. However, I have a much smaller amount of gold(under ten ounces).

What are the customs rules regarding bringing gold into the Dominican Republic? I'm nervous because I read online that some dude tried taking $200,000 worth of gold through Mexico and was thrown in prison. I have nowhere near $200,000 worth of gold but I don't want to take any chances. I don't want to sell the gold/silver for dollars and repurchase it in the DR because there is a 28 percent tax here in the states. So, what do I do? I don't really want to store it here in the states either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm finding this to be a difficult puzzle to solve. Also, I took a vacation to the DR in 2009. I noticed that the Dominican customs opened my bag but didn't really search through it for anything.

i can see you are abit nervous. it seems some people arent worried enough and others are way over the top. i would just relax for a few minutes.

in the next crisis (war with iran?) the us dollar should strengthen as a safe haven so you have some time before its worthless (LOL)

i cant believe you cant trust your mother with you coins but wanting them out of the us i can understand, hopefully you have some income along with the coins

what would you do even if you got the gold and silver in? bury them in your yard? with the scenario of bringing them here you will be in a constant state of nervousness and trust me it isnt worth it

have you thought about selling the pm's in the us and opening an account with a company like goldmoney or bullion vault, come down here and open a bank account with the proceeds. then send a wire to the above mentioned companies and if the prices go parabolic you can request a wire to be sent to your dominican bank account in the inflated fiat currency and you make out like a bandit without any of the worries except the pin number to your debit card

anyways good luck man

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Escorpion Oscuro"
You,should not ever come to the DR!
YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY A CONSPIRACY Theory,"Nut Job",and know absolutely "Nada" about this country!
I would like to see the "Huge Home" you can buy here for $22,000.
Never Happen!
"Huge Homes" start at well over $100,000,if they are located in the "Campo".
In SD,and Santiago you will need twice that!!
Ocean view,3 times that!
Remember,if the USA gets a cold,the DR will get "pneumonia"!
If you can't trust your own mother in the USA,do you think you can find ANYONE here you can trust?
Actually,bring it ALL down,we could all give you a Big DR1,"I Told You So".
If you don't believe ANYONE who has given you very good advice here,(We have 100,000 years combined knowledge)
You don't know $HIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By the way,"Welcome To DR1" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cris Colon,CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
When I first saw this thread I laughed but did not read it, but now that I have I am laughing even more.

Why is this not in the clown bin?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this needs to be moved into the living section. huge entertainment potential, i think.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
escorpion;

Back in 1980 I bought silver @ 50. gold @ 800. Silver went down to almost nothing, and gold went down below 300 for many years. As you know gold have been stable 1600 and silver just under 30. In the old days the Hunt bros. manipulated the silver market and we know where that went. Nothing radical is going to happen...but like cristobal said if the world is in termoil and YOU are not a dominican...your chances here are not in your favor.
If your coming from a survivalist point of view....silver coins will help you buy essentials for a while..but a lot of other things will be almost as important, the U.S.A. is by far your best bet under emergency conditions.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
You don't trust US banks safe deposit boxes, but you are going to trust the DR? GOOD LUCK with that.

I never said I trusted the DR.......quite to the contrary. However, with what I know, I'd much rather be down there than up here in the states. Machiavelli said that "men are like rivers, neither can be trusted." I don't trust men and I trust women even less. Still, the DR has huge advantages over the United States. I've spent a considerable amount of time researching this country, and it is the best spot for me. The next best place is Belize, but pound for pound, based on the comparison I've done between the DR and Belize, I'd rather move to the DR.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Do you really think the US govt is going to go through every safe deposit box in the country? Why dont you make it into a necklace or bracelet? You know thats what link chains were for each link was a standard weight and it was used as a currency.
If you are moving to a new country and twenty grand is worrying you it may not be time for you to leave the bunker LOL
Just kidding.

Yes, the American government has the ability to seize/search all the safe deposit boxes that are stored in the USA, and has already done so. Earlier in this thread, I linked to an article which talks about the outlawing of gold in the USA by Roosevelt during the 1930s, this is a part of history. Now, if the American dollar were to collapse, and become worthless, the American government would become extremely desperate, and like all countries, would institute capital controls. At that point, they would block capital from leaving the country. They could order all banks to hold safe deposit boxes and take the gold from them, forcing citizens to sell the gold for less than what it is worth. This is exactly what Roosevelt did and the Argentine government did the same thing.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
I could find no market for silver in the DR while I was there. I looked and asked around from Santiago and La Vega and Bonao to POP and Sucio.
Nobody seemed aware of any market for it there. As bad as Mississippi, whe I lived there.
Der FIsh

Those who have researched silver know that it may be the best investment since Microsoft......and probably even better. I'm not going to spell it all out on this thread, but silver has all the fundamentals that can allow it to go supernova, and anyone holding it would become fabulously wealthy over night. There is a massive shortage of silver and demand for it is increasing. It is needed for electronics, nanotechnology, medical applications(silver has antimicrobial properties). I DO NOT want to part with my silver right now. Adjusted for inflation, it should be $120 an ounce, and that is a low estimate based on the fundamentals. I purchased silver when it was going for $10 an ounce, and it is now $27 an ounce. So I've already gained a nice return. Remember that a couple of years ago silver went to $50, so in the future we silver investors are going to seem some dazzling returns.......returns which will make us the envy of those who didn't have the foresight to buy it cheap.