Is it safe to bring gold coins into the DR?

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
I never said I trusted the DR.......quite to the contrary. However, with what I know, I'd much rather be down there than up here in the states. Machiavelli said that "men are like rivers, neither can be trusted." I don't trust men and I trust women even less. Still, the DR has huge advantages over the United States. I've spent a considerable amount of time researching this country, and it is the best spot for me. The next best place is Belize, but pound for pound, based on the comparison I've done between the DR and Belize, I'd rather move to the DR.

Please tell us the factors that brought you to this hypothesis.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
"Escorpion Oscuro"
You,should not ever come to the DR!
YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY A CONSPIRACY Theory,"Nut Job",and know absolutely "Nada" about this country!
I would like to see the "Huge Home" you can buy here for $22,000.
Never Happen!
"Huge Homes" start at well over $100,000,if they are located in the "Campo".
In SD,and Santiago you will need twice that!!
Ocean view,3 times that!
Remember,if the USA gets a cold,the DR will get "pneumonia"!
If you can't trust your own mother in the USA,do you think you can find ANYONE here you can trust?
Actually,bring it ALL down,we could all give you a Big DR1,"I Told You So".
If you don't believe ANYONE who has given you very good advice here,(We have 100,000 years combined knowledge)
You don't know $HIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By the way,"Welcome To DR1" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cris Colon,CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Cris Colon, you are so clueless that it is laughable. You can believe what you want, we will see in five to ten years who is right and who is wrong. Look man, as I said already, I got silver when it was $10 an ounce back in 07 and now it is cruising at $27 an ounce. I avoided the crash of 2008 and didn't buy any propery here in the states during 2005 when the "experts" were telling me to. Because of that, I avoided the housing market crash. Put quite simply, I know what I'm talking about. The USA will go down like every empire that came before it and I will not be here when it happens.....

Your post above shows that you have no knowledge of macro or microeconomics. You also know nothing about precious metals. You don't know the difference between $22,000 in cash and $22,000 worth of gold and silver. This shows complete ignorance. I'm going to explain this to you once, because you don't seem bright enough to folow me so I don't want to waste too much of my precious time talking with you. Okay, I know this will be hard for you and others here to understaned, but try to follow me.......when the government, expands the amount of currency in its country, this leads to a phenomenon called inflation, where the value of that currency falls.

You say $22,000 can't buy a property in the DR? Yes, you are right, but only if you are talking about today's dollar. $22,000 back in 1965 had the purchasing power of $159,000 today, which means, in 1965 I could have indeed purchased a home in the Dominican Republic. Now why can't I today? Because the American government is constantly printing dollars, making the dollar worthless. If the American government keeps printing money, the currency will eventually collapse. Now, what would happen if I had $22,000 worth of silver, and the dollar hyperinflated. Lets say there was a panic and silver went from $27 an ounce to........500 an ounce. How much would that $22,000 worth of silver be worth then? Here is the basic math:

Current silver price = $27
$22,000 currently buys 814 ounces of silver
If silver rises to $500 an ounce, due to a dollar collapse, $22,000 worth of silver would become $407,000
814 x 500 = $407,000

Cris, don't be jealous because I think circles around you, jealousy won't do you any good. I'm coming to the DR and there is nothing you can do about it. My plans will succeed one way or another.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
i can see you are abit nervous. it seems some people arent worried enough and others are way over the top. i would just relax for a few minutes.

in the next crisis (war with iran?) the us dollar should strengthen as a safe haven so you have some time before its worthless (LOL)

i cant believe you cant trust your mother with you coins but wanting them out of the us i can understand, hopefully you have some income along with the coins

what would you do even if you got the gold and silver in? bury them in your yard? with the scenario of bringing them here you will be in a constant state of nervousness and trust me it isnt worth it

have you thought about selling the pm's in the us and opening an account with a company like goldmoney or bullion vault, come down here and open a bank account with the proceeds. then send a wire to the above mentioned companies and if the prices go parabolic you can request a wire to be sent to your dominican bank account in the inflated fiat currency and you make out like a bandit without any of the worries except the pin number to your debit card

anyways good luck man

I've considered selling the gold and silver for cash. The problem with that is that I would immediately get hit with a massive 28 percent tax. I contacted Viamat about shipping and storage and, though they can help, they charge a ridiculous amount of money to move the metals and they charge a large monthly fee for storage, a fee so high that it actually eats into the long term investment value of the metals.

If I brought at least some of the metals to the DR, I could avoid large storage fees and shipping costs. As far as someone there robbing me, it is impossible to steal something that you don't know exists in the first place. The key to success is for me to keep my mouth closed while I'm there, which I would most certainly do. However, it simply isn't realistic for me to bring the silver there. It is just too heavy, over 15 pounds. I just see no way of getting through the airport without being harassed, or at worse, having it seized. My gold is a very small amount that I could mix with small change and no one would be the wiser. It is the silver that worries me.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Please tell us the factors that brought you to this hypothesis.

JohnnyBoy, I'm a voracious reader, as well as a student of history. I've read at least 6 books just on this current financial crisis, and this doesn't include all the online articles I've read. Put simply, I have a deep understanding of this crisis, and where it is likely headed. Over the last 7 years I've made a series of good decisions which has allowed me to do financially well during a time when millions of Americans are not. My decision to relocate to the DR by the end of this year is just one more good decision of the many I've made.

Why do I want to move to the DR? Where do I start? Do I start with the rotten American women, who make terrible wives and have sky high divorce rates, or do I start with the American government's endless wars, financial irresponsibility, and constant violation of the Constitution? I know the Dominican Republic isn't perfect, and I don't plan on things being "easy" for me when I get there. Nothing in my life has ever been easy, accept for bad things and bad situations. Anything I have that is worthwhile came through enormous pain and sacrifice.

Now, I like the DR because the country is "insignificant" and no one pays attention to it. The Dominican government hasn't attacked two countries with plans to attack even more. The Dominican army doesn't have troops stationed in over 100 countries. I want to move to the DR because the DR is not a freaking empire. Have you studied the history of Empires? I have, and let me tell you, they never end well. Remember the Aztec Empire? How about the German Empire? Two nuclear weapons ended the Imperial Japanese Empire. So, based on the history I've read, living in an Empire that is clearly on the decline is a really, really, bad idea. Holding too much of its currency is even worse.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
I can see your point about being disillusioned with the US. It is a trying time.
However the nature of my question was what attracted you to the DR. It is not the easiest place in the world for expats. Have you been there yet? Do you speak the language?

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Escorpio;

Cristobal is not jealous of you..or care if you come here, one way or another. but he's done..what many people only dream.
Now in the advantage-disadvantage balance.... humm D.r. women humm..not a good reason to come here for..you will soon be disappointed.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Escorpio; B.t.w. you mention empires that collapsed, German, Aztec, Japan empires, but you did not mentioned the most successful empire ever...and still kicking...U.K.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
escorpion;

Back in 1980 I bought silver @ 50. gold @ 800. Silver went down to almost nothing, and gold went down below 300 for many years. As you know gold have been stable 1600 and silver just under 30. In the old days the Hunt bros. manipulated the silver market and we know where that went. Nothing radical is going to happen...but like cristobal said if the world is in termoil and YOU are not a dominican...your chances here are not in your favor.
If your coming from a survivalist point of view....silver coins will help you buy essentials for a while..but a lot of other things will be almost as important, the U.S.A. is by far your best bet under emergency conditions.

You lost money in gold and silver because you bought high and sold low, which is the opposite of what you should have done. I've done the opposite, my gold and silver holdings have doubled and tripled. You clearly have not studied the current fundamentals of gold or silver nor have you studied the global fiat currency system.......it is going to come crashing down, and when it does, the USA is the last place I want to be.

Regarding me not being Dominican, you're assuming that I am a gringo.........I am not. I'm Black, and would blend in well in the DR. When I vacationed there in 2009 the locals thought I was a Dominican. So again, your advice is flawed. I agree that the DR may not be the best spot for gringos during a collapse, but I am not a gringo. I would blend in well in the DR or Belize, and I saw that with my own eyes when I vacationed there. For Black Americans, being down in the Caribbean during a collapse would be...........extremely prudent.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You lost money in gold and silver because you bought high and sold low, which is the opposite of what you should have done. I've done the opposite, my gold and silver holdings have doubled and tripled. You clearly have not studied the current fundamentals of gold or silver nor have you studied the global fiat currency system.......it is going to come crashing down, and when it does, the USA is the last place I want to be.

Regarding me not being Dominican, you're assuming that I am a gringo.........I am not. I'm Black, and would blend in well in the DR. When I vacationed there in 2009 the locals thought I was a Dominican. So again, your advice is flawed. I agree that the DR may not be the best spot for gringos during a collapse, but I am not a gringo. I would blend in well in the DR or Belize, and I saw that with my own eyes when I vacationed there. For Black Americans, being down in the Caribbean during a collapse would be...........extremely prudent.

I hate to break the news to you, Black Americans are considered Gringos by most Dominicans.
You may "fly under the radar screen", especially if you speak fluent Spanish, but you are still a gringo!

Good trading in the metals.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
I can see your point about being disillusioned with the US. It is a trying time.
However the nature of my question was what attracted you to the DR. It is not the easiest place in the world for expats. Have you been there yet? Do you speak the language?

The Dominican Republic is the best country for me, the next best is Belize. As I said before, I am not a "gringo." I'm Black American. If I were a gringo I would not be moving to the DR, I would be moving to Uruguay, arguably the best country in South America pound for pound. As far as language, I've studied Spanish for 4 years and I continue to study weekly. I can read, write, and speak Spanish, but I have trouble with understanding and my grammar isn't that great.

I took a vaction to the DR in 2009 and I liked it there. I agree with you that things there aren't easy.......but things here aren't easy for me, and if our government keeps acting the way its acting, things are going to get a lot harder. At this point I'd take my chances in the DR over the US any day in the weak, and in the future the people here making fun of money are going to find out that I'm right and they're wrong. Belize is the next best spot, the reason I put the DR before Belize is because English is spoken in Belize, and I want to live in a country where I'm forced to use my Spanish. Belize won't be enough to a challege. Also, from what I've read, Belize has a history of getting pulverized by Hurricanes and Guatemala has a territorial claim on the country, meaning at some point in the future there could be a hypothetical war between Belize and Guatemala. Haiti is of no threat to the DR, as the Haitians no longer even have a real army. As you can see, I've put a lot of thought into this, I didn't just wake up and decide to move to the DR yesterday, I've been planning this for years.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Escorpio;

Cristobal is not jealous of you..or care if you come here, one way or another. but he's done..what many people only dream.
Now in the advantage-disadvantage balance.... humm D.r. women humm..not a good reason to come here for..you will soon be disappointed.

I totally disagree regarding the women. There is a huge difference between Dominican and American women, especially Black American women, and unless you're Black you can't really follow what I'm saying. You wll encounter rotten women anywhere you go, but pound for pound, based on my experience, Dominican women are head and shoulders above Black American women.

I am a leader. I need a woman that doesn't mind being led. American women, and Black American women in particular, have an extremely hard time grasping this concept. Dominican women come from a culture where the man is the leader. When I was in the DR, I could not help but notice that Dominican women look to you as a man for leadership and guidance. As far as I'm concerned, this is how it should be. Latin women in general expect the man to lead. And this is what attracts me to them. Also American women a lot of them don't take care of their bodies, they eat crap foods and are obese, while Brazilian women and Dominican women take better care of themselves. In fact, when I vacationed in the DR, I don't recall seeing a single fat Dominican women, not one!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
'I don't recall seeing a single fat Dominican women, not one!'

please tell me where that DR is! ;)

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010

Escorpion; Never sold low..I still have all of it..and bought some more..when gold was low, by the pound,. There are only 6 billion ounces of gold in the world..and there are a lot more than 6 billion people in the world.
And yes you are right all currency (paper) is created out of..thin air and good will.
As for skin color...and blending....it does not matter. I have pink white skin, and I am just one of the locals, with local connections.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Escorpio; B.t.w. you mention empires that collapsed, German, Aztec, Japan empires, but you did not mentioned the most successful empire ever...and still kicking...U.K.

The British Empire may not have collapsed, but it severely contracted. Plus, with all the surveillance cameras they have in London, along with the inability of citizens to legally own firearms, I would say that the UK is becoming a police state just like the USA.

The Dominican Republic is a country that many Americans couldn't find on a map. That is a good thing for many reasons. The only country in America that the USA finds to be strategically important is Cuba, it is not so much concerned with the other island nations. The Caribbean is close enough to the USA where the USA won't allow a rival power to come in and take over, but far enough to the south where the islands are general left to their own devices. As long as the DR doesn't try to develop long range ballistic missles, the USA won't bother them.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Escorpion; Never sold low..I still have all of it..and bought some more..when gold was low, by the pound,. There are only 6 billion ounces of gold in the world..and there are a lot more than 6 billion people in the world.
And yes you are right all currency (paper) is created out of..thin air and good will.
As for skin color...and blending....it does not matter. I have pink white skin, and I am just one of the locals, with local connections.

If I were a White man, I would not risk moving to the DR, that is just my opinion. I would aim for Uruguay or Chile, because those countries have large populations which are of European descent. I would also consider Argentina but their government keeps making economic mistakes. I'm being a "racial realist." Do you want to know why I'm saying this? I will give you guys and example: LIBYA.

Libya has a majority Arab/Bedouin population. When Gaddafi was in power, he was tolerant of Blacks and allowed them to settle there. Guess what? Now that Gaddafi has been overthrow, the new regime has been targeting Black Libyasn for genocide. You can go Google it, it has been all over the news. They are killing, torturing, and throwing Blacks in prison. What is the moral of the story? When a society collapse, being a minority in that society is dangerous. I've warned Blacks against relocating to European countries because, if the EU collapses, and Europeans revert back to nationalism, there could be a backlash against minorities living in those countries. Even a Greek Olympian got kicked out of the Olympics because she made a negative comment regarding all the Blacks living in her country. Europeans could easily turn on the Blacks that are living in there nations, just as Hitler did the Jews. Likewise, Dominicans could do the same thing. This is why if I were White I'd aim for Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, and not the DR. Since I'm Black, I have no desire to live in any of these countries for the same reasons.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
I hate to break the news to you, Black Americans are considered Gringos by most Dominicans.
You may "fly under the radar screen", especially if you speak fluent Spanish, but you are still a gringo!

Good trading in the metals.

LOL, when I was on vacation in the DR, I was asked at least four times by the locals if I was Dominican. They can't tell the difference between a Black American and themselves, until I start talking. It reminds me of that movie Salt, with Angelina Jolie where the Russians create a special program where they infiltrate spies into the United States. The Russian children are taught perfect American English and sent to the USA under new identities. The Russians were able to infiltrate the American government and the Americans had no clue they were actually Russians. Even if a Black American doesn't speak fluent Spanish, they could say they are......Dominican American, LOL. Dominicans wouldn't be the wiser.

And that is one reason I want to move there. In Argentina, I stand out like a green thumb, no thanks, I'll pass. I might visit Argentina or Uruguay, but I'm not staying. I'm tired of being a "minority," it would be nice to live in a place where everyone looks like you. I don't like standing out..........especially these days. When I move to the dress down, no fancy clothes for me.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
The Dominican Republic is the best country for me, the next best is Belize. As I said before, I am not a "gringo." I'm Black American. If I were a gringo I would not be moving to the DR, I would be moving to Uruguay, arguably the best country in South America pound for pound. As far as language, I've studied Spanish for 4 years and I continue to study weekly. I can read, write, and speak Spanish, but I have trouble with understanding and my grammar isn't that great.

Sounds like you have a plan. Thats half the battle. I wish you luck.

I do agree about Argentina and Uruguay. I was there with a gf years ago. People were less than polite. She was mulatto from Italy ....so beautiful... It was uncomfortable for her. Too bad.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
'I don't recall seeing a single fat Dominican women, not one!'

please tell me where that DR is! ;)

When I vacationed in the DR, I stayed in Santo Domingo. And I can't remember seeing any obese women there, I'm trying to remember if I did but I just can't recall it. Dominican women are just more down to Earth. American women have too much and have been spoiled. And our society puts women on a pedestal which is ridiculous. I just have no desire for American women after traveling overseas. Dominican women aren't perfect but you have to stack all the odds in your favor.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Tell me, lol. My wife is Dominican, I am German. We are married since 15 years! Happily.

When I vacationed in the DR, I stayed in Santo Domingo. And I can't remember seeing any obese women there, I'm trying to remember if I did but I just can't recall it. Dominican women are just more down to Earth. American women have too much and have been spoiled. And our society puts women on a pedestal which is ridiculous. I just have no desire for American women after traveling overseas. Dominican women aren't perfect but you have to stack all the odds in your favor.