Is there hope for Cabarete? (Investing in Property)

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
sorry, i should have clarified the businesses i mentioned were all dominican owned. it is more difficult for a gringo to break in. still, not unheard of.

This is why I'm saying I wouldn't invest in the DR. We're all gringos here, outsiders. In addition to that, the Dominican Republic has a history of exploitation and instability. It is dangerous to invest in a country where the locals are too dumb to control their own gold mine, and will let a Canadian mining company come down here and screw them out of their gold. I fear investing in the DR because this country has a dangerous combination of dumb locals and ruthless foreign interests, and I fear the ruthless foreign interests will make things so bad here that the locals explode and violence and trouble starts. At that point I don't want to own businesses here because I may have to flee, you guys follow me? You people should read up on Dominican history, the locals almost had a revolution during the 1960s and the USA sent in the marines because they thought the DR would go Communist.

I read this book on the DR, and down in Altagracia province the locals where about to go nuts because they couldn't even get access to any decent water. If foreign interests keep pushing Dominicans and exploiting them this country could become untenable for expats or tourists. And Dominicans simply have a mentality that does not sync with my own, that is one reason I wouldn't want to do business with them. I'm an outsider here and as a Black man I was an outsider in the USA. I have no loyalty to this country or the U.S., only myself. The Internet is perfect for a guy like me, who has no allegiance to anything. With the Internet I can make money and live anywhere, don't have to depend on the DR. This country could go to sht tomorrow and I could easily leave and go live in Ecuador or Belize. I have no loyalty to the DR, and the locals see me as an outsider anyway. If things go bad here or the exchange rate becomes unfavorable then it is ADIOS.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
What many foreigners that have stayed and made businesses work have learned is that the "gringo" has an advantage in that there is the common perception is that they are easier and fairer to deal with. The caveats as I see them are:

1. This may not be the case in tourist places.
2. Those who cannot speak the language fluently "enough" probably would never realize this.
3. Gringos involved in shady businesses or that get the reputation as being unfair eventually loose their inherent respect potential.

One think I'd like to add is the DR is a market economy like anywhere else with demands of goods and services that are being satisfied by Dominicans who are able to have a relatively high standard of living.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Gringos with serious financial muscle can force their way into the DR, and already have. Most Dominicans in this country run small mom and pop operations like colmados or hair salons. Foreign interests dominate virtually all the major assets, like the electrical systems and the mines. Foreigners with serious financial muscle like Donald Trump can force their way into the DR and own prime grade real estate, real estate that virtually no local can afford. The Barrick Gold mine in Cotui is owned by Canadian interests. Dominicans control small operations in the DR but all the major stuff is controlled by rich foreigners who share their spoils with the Dominican elite. Dominicans barely run their own country.

DS,

I like you're thinking. You're on to something. But you're lacking in a couple crucial areas that would tighten your argument up better. That's why i'm here. I'm sort of like a check & balance for all things Dominican.

First, You can be Dominican, have successful businesses here, and gotten your start from nothing.

Example 1:

My cousin started 20 years ago giving out small time loans to Dominicans. These were nickel & dime loans to purchase a motorbike, small car, etc. Where did he get his money? working NY busing tables, serving, and doing small menial jobs, but saving every penny. After a dozen years, he moved back here to the DR and started a very small Finance bank. That bank grew into two, then three. His loans also grew. He started making small loans for houses, then businesses, then small farms. 10 years later--and much wiser--he started making loans for bigger businesses, apartment complexes, etc. A few years after that, he started purchasing his own land and building small, modest apartment buildings, then bigger buildings, then high rises.

This wasn't overnight. this took 20 years. Today, he is the Governor of one of the biggest provinces on this island--which includes a large mine with several thousand workers--well known here. He just became the governor 3 months ago. I just posted a picture of him and I in the thread about "traveling around the island on a scooter."

Example 2:

My other cousin, started a small business about the same time--20 years ago. He and his architect wife, start buying small plots of land and building modest 4 & 6 apartment building complexes. They started out small, building only one building at a time. As apartments got sold, this provided the capital to build more and bigger building, and eventually his blossomed into a construction company. Initially, they got the capitol to build their first building from renting motorcycles and cars to tourists in Sosua back in the 80's. This gave them the capitol to build their first building--combined with a small loan. As they sold apartments, they paid off the loan, and then built and another building, and another, and today, they have built whole gated communities and some very large complexes. They're business is so busy right now, that this past weekend, when we finally, after years of trying, all got together in Porto Bahia Marina to have a sort of "family reunion." It was the first time in a decade that i can remember all of us getting together in one place.

Next time your in Santo Domingo, take a look around at all the Porsches, BMW X5's X6's, M3's, Audi's, Land Cruisers, etc. Do you know how much a car or SUV here costs in relationship to the U.S? Drive around some of the rich neighborhoods in SD; drive into "Casa de Campo" Dominican Republic Luxury Hotels - Casa de Campo Golf Resort - La Romana Hotel & Spa and spend an afternoon in the Marina, the golf course, or sit at the bar at the Casa De Campo hotel...look at all of the Dominicans...They're everywhere, and they're plenty. Visit my favorite restaurants: Pat'e Palo, Samurai, Pepperoni...notice all of the Dominicans...they're everywhere. They populate the majority of these restaurants.

Dominicans, for all of their handicaps, have the same ambitions as everyone else around the world. Everyone likes to make money, brother. You can't keep an ambitious, smart, tenacious person down for long. They find ways to rise above everyone else. My two cousins are just one example, but so is my father, who left this country in 1959 with just some bananas and bacaloa in his pockets. He went to America and made the American dream come true for him. True story.

Love Frank

Last edited:

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
DS,

I like you're thinking. You're on to something. But you're lacking in a couple crucial areas that would tighten your argument up better. That's why i'm here. I'm sort like a check & balance for all things Dominican.

First, You can be Dominican, have successful businesses here, and gotten your start from nothing.

Example 1:

My cousin started 20 years ago giving out small time loans to Dominicans. These were nickel & dime loans to purchase a motorbike, small car, etc. Where did he get his money? working NY busing tables, serving, and doing small menial jobs, but saving every penny. After a dozen years, he moved back here to the DR and started a very small Finance bank. That bank grew into two, then three. His loans also grew. He started making small loans for houses, then businesses, then small farms. 10 years later--and much wiser--he started making loans for bigger businesses, apartment complexes, etc. A few years after that, he started purchasing his own land and building small, modest apartment buildings, then bigger buildings, then high rises.

This wasn't overnight. this took 20 years. Today, he is the Governor of one of the biggest provinces on this island--which includes a large mine with several thousand workers--well known here. He just became the governor 3 months ago. I just posted a picture of him and I in the thread about "traveling around the island on a scooter."

Example 2:

My other cousin, started a small business about the same time--20 years ago. He and his architect wife, start buying small plots of land and building modest 4 & 6 apartment building complexes. They started out small, building only one building at a time. As apartments got sold, this provided the capital to build more and bigger building, and eventually his blossomed into a construction company. Initially, they got the capitol to build their first building from renting motorcycles and cars to tourists in Sosua back in the 80's. This gave them the capitol to build their first building--combined with a small loan. As they sold apartments, they paid off the loan, and then built and another building, and another, and today, they have built whole gated communities and some very large complexes. They're business is so busy right now, that this past weekend, when we finally, after years of trying, all got together in Porto Bahia Marina to have a sort of "family reunion." It was the first time in a decade that i can remember all of us getting together in one place.

Next time your in Santo Domingo, take a look around at all the Porsches, BMW X5's X6's, M3's, Audi's, Land Cruisers, etc. Do you know how much a car or SUV here costs in relationship to the U.S? Drive around some of the rich neighborhoods in SD; drive into "Casa de Campo" Dominican Republic Luxury Hotels - Casa de Campo Golf Resort - La Romana Hotel & Spa and spend an afternoon in the Marina, the golf course, or sit at the bar at the Casa De Campo hotel...look at all of the Dominicans...They're everywhere, and they're plenty. Visit my favorite restaurants: Pat'e Palo, Samurai, Pepperoni...notice all of the Dominicans...they're everywhere. They populate the majority of these restaurants.

Dominicans, for all of their handicaps, have the same ambitions as everyone else around the world. Everyone likes to make money, brother. You can't keep an ambitious, smart, tenacious person down for long. They find ways to rise above everyone else. My two cousins are just one example, but so is my father, who left this country in 1959 with just some bananas and bacaloa in his pockets. He went to America and made the American dream come true for him. True story.

Love Frank

My feelings toward the DR may soften over time. But Frank, to be honest with you, I've always been treated like an outsider, even by other Black Americans when I was in the U.S. I never quite fit in with them. Here in the DR, I feel the same way, alone. Doesn't bother me much because I'm used to it, used to the loneliness. But I've developed a mentality where I have no loyalty or allegiance to anything. There is no doubt that there are wealthy Dominicans here, but when I look at things, I like to look at the big picture. Where does the DR really stand in the world? What does the future hold for this country? They say to predict the future you must study the past. The DR's past isn't great. Its future is questionable. Cyberspace just seems to me like a safer bet, then putting eggs in a country with the history and structure of the DR. What worries me though if I have kids here and I get in a situation where I'm forced to flee, then what? Will I be able to take them? I just have too many questions about this country right now, and too few answers.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
What many foreigners that have stayed and made businesses work have learned is that the "gringo" has an advantage in that there is the common perception is that they are easier and fairer to deal with. The caveats as I see them are:

1. This may not be the case in tourist places.
2. Those who cannot speak the language fluently "enough" probably would never realize this.
3. Gringos involved in shady businesses or that get the reputation as being unfair eventually loose their inherent respect potential.

One think I'd like to add is the DR is a market economy like anywhere else with demands of goods and services that are being satisfied by Dominicans who are able to have a relatively high standard of living.

For me the language barrier is a big one. I've studied Spanish for over 4 years and I'm burned out with it. And it is frustrating to come to the DR and realize that I haven't learned enough to be able to comprehend what is being said much of the time. Even worse is finding out Dominicans use different words for certain things than what I learned. Dominicans who converse with me sometimes think I'm weird, because they're talking to me, saying something that I don't really understand, but I reply to them in Spanish likely talking about something which is different from what they're talking about, since I can't understand them. Right now I have to choose between growing my business so I can make lots of money, or studying Spanish. Too tired to do both so that means business comes first. I put a lot of time into Spanish but it is hard learning a language as an adult when you need to make a living and deal with everyday domestic BS at the same time.

Another issue with the DR is that I'm an introvert. This country seems to favor people who are extroverted. I'm not an outgoing person, I tend to keep to myself and I'm very private. I'm not the type of guy who likes to party or go out clubbing a lot. And I'm not the type of guy that stops and talks to people on the street and get to know people and carry on conversations. I'm an introvert to the bone. And that is another reason why the Internet is better for me than doing physical business, because to run a physical business you need to be really extroverted and outgoing, which isn't my thing. I dislike humans in general. I need to make money from them to prosper, but I prefer to make money from people in such a way where I don't have to deal with them face to face.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Here in the DR, I feel the same way, alone.

You are doing something wrong my fren, Dominicans are very social. Maybe you only stay in tourist areas and don?t practice your Spanish enough.

Where does the DR really stand in the world? What does the future hold for this country? They say to predict the future you must study the past.

I think you are applying the quote to a larger scope than intended as no one as of yet has been able to predict where a country will end up in the future simply due to the fact of there are too many variables.

What worries me though if I have kids here and I get in a situation where I'm forced to flee, then what? Will I be able to take them? I just have too many questions about this country right now, and too few answers.

Regarding raising children, no doubt the DR?s security situation can be precarious at times. However, moving to an American or European society means possibly exchanging more physical security for less parental control and thus potentially less moral security.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
For me the language barrier is a big one. I've studied Spanish for over 4 years and I'm burned out with it. And it is frustrating to come to the DR and realize that I haven't learned enough to be able to comprehend what is being said much of the time. Even worse is finding out Dominicans use different words for certain things than what I learned. Dominicans who converse with me sometimes think I'm weird, because they're talking to me, saying something that I don't really understand, but I reply to them in Spanish likely talking about something which is different from what they're talking about, since I can't understand them. Right now I have to choose between growing my business so I can make lots of money, or studying Spanish. Too tired to do both so that means business comes first. I put a lot of time into Spanish but it is hard learning a language as an adult when you need to make a living and deal with everyday domestic BS at the same time.

Another issue with the DR is that I'm an introvert. This country seems to favor people who are extroverted. I'm not an outgoing person, I tend to keep to myself and I'm very private. I'm not the type of guy who likes to party or go out clubbing a lot. And I'm not the type of guy that stops and talks to people on the street and get to know people and carry on conversations. I'm an introvert to the bone. And that is another reason why the Internet is better for me than doing physical business, because to run a physical business you need to be really extroverted and outgoing, which isn't my thing. I dislike humans in general. I need to make money from them to prosper, but I prefer to make money from people in such a way where I don't have to deal with them face to face.

Brother, i got to meet you! I love anyone who is so blatantly honest as to come across as a freak of nature. Listen, I work on the beach in Cabarete. Stop by sometime and let me buy you a drink. I don't drink, but i will sit with you and drink coffee and we can judge the beaver that walks past in their high heels and watch them pierce the water main and sewage lines.

what part of the island are you living?

Frank

Last edited:

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
You are doing something wrong my fren, Dominicans are very social. Maybe you only stay in tourist areas and don’t practice your Spanish enough.

I think you are applying the quote to a larger scope than intended as no one as of yet has been able to predict where a country will end up in the future simply due to the fact of there are too many variables.

Regarding raising children, no doubt the DR’s security situation can be precarious at times. However, moving to an American or European society means possibly exchanging more physical security for less parental control and thus potentially less moral security.

Thats the thing Chip, I'm not sociable, and its a part of my personality. I've taken numerous personality tests and the results always come out the same: introvert. I do not like socializing with people and I tend to be very private. In the past friends have had to drag me into night clubs, and when they did I was miserable and just left. My brother had to drag me into a strip club, and though I like the dancing ladies, it just wasn't my thing. I love quiet time and solitude. I only like associating with small groups of people I know well, and no one in the DR falls under that category.

I adore making money online because you can be anonymous. Chip, I've made thousands and thousands of dollars from people over the Internet that I've never met in person, and who I wouldn't recognize if they past me on the street. I don't know how they look and they don't know how I look, but we still did business. I love that. I love the anonymous nature of the Net, it is the most amazing thing. When I first moved to the DR, I had grandiose plans of owning real estate and renting out apartments, but I realize that isn't me, it isn't who I am. I need to make money in the way I know best......online. Save the real estate biz for people like my landlord, or those who enjoy that kind of thing.

Regarding kids, I agree totally, I don't know what to do regarding them. I'm very very apprehensive about raising kids in the USA and I'm equally apprehensive about raising them here. There are things to worry about in both places. Anyway, having kids are way down the road for me, last thing on my mind right now, maybe in five years, possibly even ten. Really need to focus on business right now.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
DK - being an extrovert doesn't have to mean going to clubs as I never go to them. It does mean making an effort to communicate with people, whether at the store or talking to the neighbors. If you can't improve your Spanish or would be better off in the tourist areas as I understand many people are able to get along with just English/German/French.

BTW, imo your Spanish will never get better until you crawl out of your shell. I think your general dislike of people is hurting you.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Gringos with serious financial muscle can force their way into the DR, and already have. Most Dominicans in this country run small mom and pop operations like colmados or hair salons. Foreign interests dominate virtually all the major assets, like the electrical systems and the mines. (...) Dominicans control small operations in the DR but all the major stuff is controlled by rich foreigners who share their spoils with the Dominican elite. Dominicans barely run their own country.

shows how little you know about DR and how much you operate based on the present (as in whatever currently makes it to the news). the biggest and best companies in DR are dominican. and the richest dominicans could easily swallow many american millionaires whole. this is the country that has moved very fast in terms of business. following the example of frank i will put here once again ramos family. grandpa ramos started with one shop, many eayrs ago where there were no bigger shops in DR that had everything in one place. slowly he has built an empire that is known now as la sirena. and bravo, because acually the owners come from the same family. today there are talks of walmart buying them off and we are talking hundreds millions of dollars...

virtually all argiculture production: rice, sugar, coffee, cacao, bananas, avocado, coconuts, mangoes, are all owned and run by dominicans. dominicans own the biggest banks and insurance companies too. yes, now it is all international money, to an extend, but nonetheless it was all started here.

barrick gold is another story. dominicans have zero experience in heavy mining, really. in many countries mining is a source of major income, be it gold, other metals, coal, whatnot. letting someone else do the job was, and still is, the best option. the fact dominicans got screwed over this is a story of greed and corruption more than stupidity.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Well What a great time to step back into this discussion. IMO some of the posted info/comments are great and some are ill informed... Lets take a crack at it....
1-The dominican Republic is ranked No...127 or whatever out of 187 in ease of doing business... REallY???? LMAO!!!... you go and tell that to a dominican businessman and they will laugh at you so hard they will puke Presidentes out. This country as in so many so called 3rd world countries....ridiculous statement...the "great" minds on wall street didnt see financial meltdowns, real estate bubbles...and we are supposed to listen to the expertise???
have you ever had a business here???.. I have, here and in the USA.
Plain stupidity, lack of planning, crazy expectations are a recipe for failure from the get go. Be aware if you dont want to lose any money, don't take any chances, dig a hole and watch the money tree grow!!
I know many Lebanese, Israelis, Chinese migrants who have come to this country with a few dollars, put a little table on La San Martin (I bet you dont know where is at) and have become millionares.
I have a very close friend, multimillionare who was denied a visa to the usa at the same time I was living there...and started with one wooden table selling pork sandwiches at nite, and was a cashier at banco popular during the day.
He invested his little savings wisely, lent money carefully and with collateral. in less than 10 years, he owns a few buildings, a profitable printing shop, nice cars, racing horses... and when he started never enjoyed the benefit of coming here with dollars and euros at 40 or 50 to 1. his name is carlos hernandez. the same consul later gave him a visa after he was a millionare. he thanked the consul for having denied him years before. true story.
Saying that this country only depends on tourism is a slap in the face to the many entepreneurs who do it day in and day out with many different industries. when tourism goes down, we will find another way. we are dominicans.
If you live your life with fear about the unknown, stay home and hug your pillows.

I think that there might have been some funny business at the cashier;s job if he went from pulling pork to owning a few buildings, and race horses in ten years

give me a BREAK

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
With all due respect maam watch what you say don't lob accusations at someone who you dont even know, I can speak without any doubt about my friends integrity and honesty. It can be done, I have met very few people with the drive and the smarts that my friend has, actually no one I know comes even close, the only other guy I know is my girlfriends brother in law a realtor in florida and he had the advantage of being born in a first world country and born in a good situation, he still went on his way an made it by himself. Carlos made it HERE, no dollars, not working in the US, here peso by peso working his rear off. NOT all dominicans are crooks, thieves, or chulos. Like not all gringas are loose or easy to get. If you happen to read the whole thread is about business viability in the dr. the whole point is if you play your cards rite rite you can have a succesful business. My dad did too, worked 18 hour days and came here after being deported from Cuba. So did my brother, the first Nissan dealer in this country.

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
Your post above only confirms what........I already said. You pointed out all these foreigners who come here and make money, the Lebanese, the Chinese, no kidding. That is my point, all these foreigners making money and the locals are poor as sht? And........that doesn't sound a bit odd to you? You don't get it, do you? The DOMINICAN REPUBLIC IS BEING EXPLOITED. Yes, your country depends on tourism slick, everybody knows it. Where is the Dominican Sony? Mitsubishi? Ford? You guys don't manufacture cars, trucks, weapons, nothing. Yes, tourism and agriculture is where most of the DR's money comes from. If you guys were building cell phones like the Japanese you wouldn't be so damn poor.

I read right here on DR1 about that Barrick Mine at Cotui, what a joke! Barrick is mining the gold, they claim the locals will get 5 percent(wow, thats a lot), but the locals are suing the Dominican government because the company refuses to say how much gold they're removing from the mine! Where I come from, they call that "getting pimped." The DR is completely exploited. All those Dominican businessmen you mention are the lucky few who have the connections to make money. The Chinese stick to each other and keep money to themselves, no surprise they make money here, the Chinese make money in every country the come to, that is why they build Chinatowns. The truth is that I really don't give a damn either way. With the Internet I can make money and to hell with investing in the DR and dealing with the BS here. Yes the Dominican Republic ranks horribly on the ease of doing business index. It is right up there with the African and Middle Eastern countries. The poverty here proves it.

And doing business in New york state..same issues, taxes, poor employees,taxes,poverty.Doing business anywhere is seldom easy, if it can done here, it can be done in the DR

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
As usual... many people talk about other peoples experience... and often they know it better then the person they are talking about!!! People like to do that it seems...

I have my own experience. I came from my own country, also doing business there, for more than 20 years. I went to here, the DR, empty minded. No specific idea in mind to do.

I made good business in my own country and i am doing very good here in the DR as well. I paid learning money here but also in my own country! Always be alert, wherever you are. I med good people and bad people.... here and in my home country!!! There are always possibilities for someone. But these possibilities, you will NOT find in bars or presidente...!!! Which many people think...

"Use common sense" works everywhere in the world, also here in the DR. For me, i like doing business here in the DR.

Have a nice sunday to all of you!

By the way... "is there hope for Cabarete..." Really, i do not know. I hope so for Cabarete. But i prefer Samana!!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I chuckle when I read a post about someone wanting to start a bidniz in the DR, especially when they've never been in bidniz successfully where they came from.

Creating a bidniz in the states is hard, and getting MUCH harder every day. Creating a bidniz in the DR is 3-4 times more difficult.

It takes creativity and understanding of a market.

I offer three suggestions to help skew the odds in your favor:

1) Do NOT create a bidniz that competes with Dominicans. They don't play fair, and not only are there fewer laws for "fair play" they are either not enforced or enforced by payoff.

2) Create a bidniz that has a significant barrier to entry either by capital or expertise.

3) Import your revenues; do NOT rely on the DR economy for your success.

If you've never started a successful bidniz where you came from, don't start one here.

Caveat Emptor

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
AND to add about my own experience, I have owned for the past 10 years a profitable trucking business, not huge but enough to afford me a decent quality life. My first business was a car lot in Florida when I first migrated there, with a crook from Boston who took me to the cleaners, but who taugh me to never again get a partner and trust myself and run my own ship. After that learning curve, I have NEVER gone into business and lost money. Had a Cell phone shop, made money to the last day I had it. basically it all comes down to YOU and your abilities. You can make it anywhere in the world. No Excuses.

MikeAmbro

Nov 8, 2012
I'd much rather own a Face Book or Skype over a bar in Cabarete. It is more than just the money, it is the simple fact that an online business can be accessed anywhere the Internet is available. Lets say you have some real estate in the DR, and you're making good money........and suddenly the property is destroyed in an earthquake like the one that hit Haiti, now what? If you own a Face Book, you don't have to worry about it. You can still keep running your business and making money because it is on the internet.

The capital cost of starting an online business is very low, whereas owning a physical business requires a large injection of capital. The problem with a physical business is that it can be easily identified and seized by the government. Look what happened in Venezuela? The same thing can happen to any property you own in the DR, if the Dominican government decided to do it. However, if you own a website, the Dominican government can't get to that. They can get to your bar in Cabarete or Boca Chica, they can get to your home in Las Terranas, they can get to the lot you own outside Santo Domingo, but if you have a website that is making $10,000 per month the Dominican government can't touch it. And if things go to sht here in the DR you can always go someplace else, and keep your business. On the other hand, If things go to sht in the DR, and you have a business that is based in the DR.......
DS a few things:

1- You talk about own a face book? What does that mean? Stock? Hasn't done that well.
Or starting the next facebook? More luck winning the lottery.

2 -Starting a successful (!!, not some multi level marketing with a myspace looking web page) online business costs a truck load of money, why do you think the facebook's, twitter's etc have to beg VC's for money.

3 -I been living in the DR over a decade and for the last 2 years enjoy very fast & reliable internet , comparable to US ( ok it costs a bit more)

4- I thought the term "cyberspace" was last used 15 years ago by my grandma

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
What is with this doom and gloom attitude that I am reading in these posts. In the last 10 years the DR has come a very long way in terms of development of infrastructure, diversity of their economy and business development. Maybe you know something that I don't but why would you think that the DR would step back to become a dictatorship and you would need to flee the country. There is always opportunities for those individuals who want to take risk. Obviously you need a product or service that someone wants, financing, a solid plan, and a need to bust your a__ working towards your goal. That last one is what separates the contenders from the pretenders. There is a very small % of people that really want to work that hard. Bringing up children is a hard job. Whether you are in the DR or USA you will have many of the same everyday problems. My advice to any one who want to have children, my wife and I raised two, is that you get yourself establish financially and then consider children. My wife and I were married 10 years before are son came along. We were more mature and financially ready to accept this huge responsibility. If you are an innovator there is always going to be opportunity out there. Not everyone is cut out to be a business owner. Many people don't want the uncertainty and the risk and would rather work for someone else. That is where their comfort level is. So do what you like to do and that is different for each of us. Why is there so much poverty in the DR? Why is there so much poverty in any developing country? Maybe it takes many generations to pull yourself out of the poverty cycle. Maybe it is the lack of education? Maybe it is the lack of opportunity? Maybe there will always be the poor and the rich. I don't think people wake up in the morning and say I want to live at the poverty level my whole life. There are many people in the DR that live in small towns and villages that live contented lives with their own small farm and small house. Many are probably happier than many wealthy people with complicated lives. Perhaps the Government does not have enough resources to my to make the necessary changes to effect all of its' citizens across the whole country. More money is being spent every year on improvements in education. That is the key but this will take many years to feel any impact. In the mean time I think the DR is on the right track and the middle class is doing ok. That doesn't mean there is not room for the DR Gov. to do better. They certainly can, but I think they are on the right track.

LTSTeve

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
Thank you LT Steve, no one could have put it any better. Poverty and lack of oportunity are everywhere in the world. It has do to with your individual choices and talent. Do connections help? absolutely, but dear dark scorpion that applies to any country in the world. I am a believer in my home country. I am leaving behind my business of 10 years to move back to the DR. I bought a house in an area that has not developed yet, but I see it happening and I'm gonna help make it happen. I have no fear because I came to this world with nothing and I'm leaving with nothing. I work my ass off doing what I do. To the ones that don't get why the DR appeals to some of us... just take a look at Franks videos enjoying this beautiful place with his family and if that doesnt move you go and see a shrink. In my personal situation I know I am the business, people call and seek me to do work for them because they know I care about their stuff. plain and simple. What I learned in the U.S tru backbreaking work, long hours, low pay and sometimes humiliation is that it made me stronger. I'm ready to come back home and start a business here. My family thinks I'm crazy, so they thought of Edison, Davinci and Michaelangelo.
To the original starter of this thread follow your dreams, be careful but not afraid. life is too short to live in fear.

ElAlien

Mar 10, 2013
With a new 21% tax, I would think twice to invest in the DR. Cabarete is just not fun. It is too agringado for me. I would rather stay in Sosua than Cabarete. If you really want to Invest in the DR, don't buy property. Try something else, like a car rental or something like that. You'll be better off.