Junot Diaz book gets good reviews

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
Not in the DR, but Dominican American writers Nelly Rosario and Angie Cruz are also recommended.

Gracias Chiri,

I'll look into them. The reason I ask is that we all know about the literacy issues in DR and the state of public education. It would be nice if there were at least quality writers writing in DR about things that would interest the pueblo to read. Yes, I know, wishful thinking!

BTW, the paperback version of books usually come out about a year after the hardcover is released.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Book publishing in the DR in the traditional form has been very expensive. Enough profits are rarely made with book publishing to the Dominican market, and thus authors are not encouraged. There are many good writers, to tell by all the writing that appears in the newspapers and magazines.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I just spent the best part of the afternoon in Cuesta bookshop and there are many Dominican authors to choose from. I didn't know where to start and I'm a little lazy about reading in Spanish. I looked at titles by Angela Hern?ndez, Chiqui Vicioso, Marcio Veloz Maggiolo, Carmen Imbert Brugal, Mu Kien Sang, Pedro Antonio Valdez, and others, including Spanish translations of Julia Alvarez and Junot D?az.

In summary, lots of fiction, sociology, politics, memoirs, history and poetry. Shelves full of stuff by Bosch and Balaguer, plenty about Trujillo and Porfirio Rubirosa.

There is a new book out about the Hip?lito years called (IIRC) 'Anomal?a' which looked like a scathing account of the previous president and his administration. The cover photo set the tone - the infamous golden statue of Hippo on horseback.

But if you're not in the DR, here is a great alternative. I'm surprised no one has posted this link: Dominican Bookshop -The Dominican Republic in Print for a comprehensive selection, and - I hear - excellent service.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
:cool: We're not worthy!

Did he mention DR1 in the book or at the signing?

He mentions DR1 in the book, prelude/prologue. Although I've read the half the book, I'm still trying to figure out who is the narrator in the prologue. The book has multiple narrators, reminds me of "Drown".

When does the Junot D?az book come out in paperback, does anyone know?

I don't know when it will be released in paperback, but there were people at the signing with a paperback edition. I did not see this edition at B&N, and it is not being sold online. Maybe you can write an email to Riverhead Books (publisher) or email him directly.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I don't know when it will be released in paperback, but there were people at the signing with a paperback edition. I did not see this edition at B&N, and it is not being sold online. Maybe you can write an email to Riverhead Books (publisher) or email him directly.
I'll do that, thanks, o chameleonic one. ;) If he came out as a DR1 poster I could send him a PM!

IDNRC BTW! The Hippo book is called At?pico and it's available from Dominican Bookshop -The Dominican Republic in Print under 'Famous Dominicans' at the end of the second page.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao Tour

There will be more book readings, discussion and signing across the US this September: Chicago, Cambridge, Coral Gables, Kettering, Madison, Iowa City, Edina, Los Angeles, Boulder, Dallas, Tulsa, Austin, Seattle, Portland, Oakland, Corte Madera, Ann Arbor, Houston.

Maybe the book signings could turn into informal meetings of the DR1 community in the US. I already notified my sister to be there for the Dallas signing.

See the dates and places:

Chicago, IL:
Monday, 10 September
Chicago Public Library
400 S State St., 6 pm

Cambridge, MA:
Wednesday, 12 September
Brattle Theater
40 Brattle Street, 6 pm

Coral Gables, FL
Thursday, 13 September
Books & Books
265 Aragon Ave., 8 pm

Kettering, OH
Friday, 14 September
Books & Company
350 E. Stroop Road, 7 pm

Madison, WI:
Saturday, 15 September
Barnes & Noble
7433 Mineral Point Road, 2 pm

Iowa City, IA
Sunday, 16 September 10, 2007
Prairie Lights
15 S. Dubuque, 6:30 pm

Edina, MN
Monday, 17 September
Barnes & Noble
3225 W 69th Street, 7:30 pm

Los Angeles, CA
Wednesday, 19 September
Dutton?s Brentwood
11975 San Vicente Blvd, 7 pm

Boulder, CO
Thursday, 20 September
Boulder Bookstore
1107 Pearl St, 7:30 pm

Dallas, TX
Friday, 21 September
Borders
10720 Preston Rd, 7 pm

Tulsa, OK
Saturday, 22 September
Barnes & Noble
5231 East 41st Street, 2 pm

Austin, TX
Sunday, 23 September
Book People
603 N. Lamar, 3 pm

Seattle, WA
Monday, 24 September
Elliot Bay Book Company
101 S Main Street, 7:30 pm

Portland, OR
Tuesday, 25 September
Powell?s Books
1005 W. Burnside Street, 7:30 pm

Oakland CA
Wednesday, 26 September 10, 2007Diesel, A Bookstore
5433 College Avenue, 7 pm

Corte Madera, CA
Thursday, 27 September
Book Passage
51 Tamal Vista Blvd, 7 pm

Ann Arbor, MI
Friday, 28 September
Borders
612 E. Liberty Street, 7 pm

Houston, TX
Saturday, 29 September
George R. Brown Convention Center, 3 pm
Houston Latino Family Festival

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Bought the book "Drown" by Junot Diaz, I have read a couple of stories, I think its gonna be good, its entertaining so far.

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
I'm finally able to give a full review. It took me 4 days to finish the book, and overall I really really liked it: 4/5. I wish it would have been a happy ending, but poor Oscar wasn't meant to be happy has the title suggests. I finally figured out who the main narrator is, it was alas the main narrator and not Mr. Diaz that "posted" a thread on DR1 :surprised.

For those who are looking for a paperback version of "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao", you might be able to find it on abebooks.com. The paperback version is an advance reading copy, and there are very few on that site being sold.

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
This was a terrific book - I loved Drown, but this is such a great read.

He does mention DR1 on page 6 of the book. To quote: "A couple weeks ago, while I was finishing this book, I posted the thread fuku on the DR1 forum, just out of curiousity. These days I'm nerdy like that. The talkback blew the **** up. You should see how many responses I've gotten. They just keep coming in. And not just from Domos. The Puertorocks want to talk about fukus, and the Haitians have some **** just like it. There are a zillion of these fuku stories. Even my Mother, who almost never talks about Santo Domingo, has started sharing hers with me".

Does anybody have a link to this prior post on Fukus on DR1? I wasn't able to find it, and would love to hear others' stories about Fukus having now read this book.

Also, as a previous poster stated, the Paperback copies that are out there are what are known as Advanced Readers Copies, that are sent by the Publishers prior to publication for bookstore owners and book reviewers to read prior to publication, used to drum up interest. They are frequently not the 'final' printing of a work, so if you do get one, be aware that it may not be exactly like the final published work if the author or publisher made any last minute changes.

oyani

Dec 1, 2005
Junot

Expectacular!!!!!!!!!

Mi nombre es Eric Rodriguez. Le invito a todos y todas a comprar esta hoja de literatura. Yo comparti mucho tiempo con Junot. Lo considero un Amigo. Este Dominicano es un orgullo para tod@s nosotr@s. Su cualidades como ser humano superan sus inigualables habilidades en la literatura. He is a down to earth guy. Junot Felizidades mi hermano. Represent!!!

Eric

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
For those who are looking for a paperback version of "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao", you might be able to find it on abebooks.com. The paperback version is an advance reading copy, and there are very few on that site being sold.

My copy of the paperback version arrived today from Amazon.com where I think they have several. It's the uncorrected proof for limited distribution.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Why alas?

it was alas the main narrator and not Mr. Diaz that "posted" a thread on DR1 :surprised.
Aren't anonymous narrators equally as welcome here as budding celeb authors?

Does anybody have a link to this prior post on Fukus on DR1? I wasn't able to find it, and would love to hear others' stories about Fukus having now read this book.
Since the book itself is a work of fiction, I suspect that the thread in question is very likely a fiction as well.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
I was given the book as a gift on Sunday. Just finished it last night. WAO! What a gifted writer. I enjoyed it very much: 5/5. I may even read it again. JA!

oceanbound

On Vacation!
May 31, 2007
Ok, I finished the book and the greatness of the book does not fizzle out midway. It stays great throughout.

For those who are interested in Dominical culture and history, the author weaves both into his fictional story of a Dominican family who immigrate to New Jersey. I highly !!!! recommend this book. Junot Diaz is a brilliant writer. I believe he also teaches writing in the US.