Junot Diaz book gets good reviews

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
This is a great book. I'm English, not merely old but "old school", so a full-length novel written in "hip" American ghetto slang and liberally peppered with Spanish terms and phrases unknown to my large Collins Spanish Dictionary, and with a heavy reliance on references to science and fantasy fiction and comic books (all of which I despise), I would not usually touch with a barge-pole, but I loved this one and neglected my other duties until I had finished it.

I have read most of the ninety-odd reviews of the book on Amazon and I think that many readers miss the point when they complain that the title is a misnomer because only a small part of the book describes Oscar's "life" and that while he may be a physically well-rounded person his character is flat and clich?d. The title surely is ironic. Oscar has really neither a life or a personality to speak of. He is just a peg on which to hang an analysis of Dominican society on the island and in Nueba Yol, which the author perceives to be generally nasty. It is Dominican "culture" itself which is the "fuk?" and bad things and bad people will inevitably surface because the whole fabric is built on rotten foundations of ignorance, greed and racism. You could almost say that the heart of the book is in its historic footnotes.

This first time I read the book for pure enjoyment. If I have time before my forthcoming emigration to the DR (and I sincerely hope I do not have) I would like to re-read it and list the hundreds of "Dominican Spanish" words and phrases which have defeated both my very rudimentary knowledge of Spanish and my big Collins Dictionary and appeal here for help in translating them. That should prove very educational for me and hopefully for others.

Mar 2, 2008
Funnyyale, I understand how you must feel at times reading some of the negative posts, but believe me the people posting the negative comments are just as quick to post negative comments about all things, gringo or latino. The more thoughtful commentors will give balanced opinions across the board. With regard to Mr. Diaz's books, I have read them both, and have loved them both, and I have offered my opinions in several venues, (Dominican Today, as davidjule, for one, if you care to check). Please give us gringos a benefit of a doubt. We are not all "ugly Americans".

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
This first time I read the book for pure enjoyment. If I have time before my forthcoming emigration to the DR (and I sincerely hope I do not have) I would like to re-read it and list the hundreds of "Dominican Spanish" words and phrases which have defeated both my very rudimentary knowledge of Spanish and my big Collins Dictionary and appeal here for help in translating them. That should prove very educational for me and hopefully for others.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I would love to re-read this book again with a better knowledge and understanding of Dominican Spanish expressions used by the author. I was able to guess meaning of some of them - but definitely not all.

urbanus

Apr 17, 2002
Book "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" by Junot Diaz

In writing this book, Junot Diaz has a good sense of humor and a vivid imagination. For those not familiar with Dominican History or Culture and want to get to know about, this is also a good read. Quite a few people unfamiliar with Dominicanisms who read the book are or have been confused. Junot Diaz could have used footnotes explaining or translating those expressions, as well as the many Spanglish terms found in the book.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Bought the book - A Brief and wondrous......I like the begining but when he made the transition into the mother's story i got a little lost but i am loving the story of Oscar's mom in Santo Domingo's Trujillo.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
Bought the book - A Brief and wondrous......I like the begining but when he made the transition into the mother's story i got a little lost but i am loving the story of Oscar's mom in Santo Domingo's Trujillo.

I'll be getting it soon. Can't wait. (I had to order it.)

Termanetor

Apr 26, 2008
Hello people, happy to be here. this is my first post and I just want to tell thank you to all of your post that have been very helpful. Now that's out of the way, I am not a very good reader, but Junot's writing takes you to places that you will never thought of going again. I am Dominican and I can see myself in some of Junot's short stories. I read Drown and it is a must for all Dominicans and for those that wants to learn more of us and our doings. Sci right in the heart of the Dominicans.

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
Jeffrey Brown (The News Hour) interviews Diaz, WOW

Just saw a great interview on the PBS Evening News Hour, Jeffrey Brown interviewing Junot Diaz. It might be possible for those interested to find it under PBS The News Hour. I hope that every reader can get a copy of "Oscar" and Drown and hope even more this fine author doesn't keep us waiting another eleven years. I left "Oscar" to circulate in Las Terrenas where we winter. Hopefully it will find some Dominican readers. And by the way Mr. Diaz, Congratulations on the Pulizer and National Book Critics Award!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Went to see JD speak last night, and will write something more detailed about it for my blog. He is also appearing at the Cafe Bohemio at the Santo Domingo bookfair this evening, at 5:30 (Thursday 1st May 2008).