Junot Diaz book gets good reviews

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Just posted in another thread by mistake!

Just finished the book over 4 plane rides in the past week... I was looking for the thread Junot said he posted on DR1 about a FUKU. Did he really? cause I did a search and did not find it...

Book was great. I agree with Suaren - sometimes he went on too long about one character and not enough about the others. I wanted to hear more about Lola, she was cool. The mother was DARK and so depressing. I was telling my mom about the story and she can relate to Beli's life altogether. I loved the part about the grandfather.

I also agree that many of the points of the book will be missed by someone who doesnt know much of our history or our ways. Thats my opinion.

A page turner indeed...

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Also, I hope they dont make it into a movie... I think the whole SOUL of this book will be lost on film.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I'm in the midst of this book, laughing and chuckling to myself on the bus and subway to work here in Toronto. It's a lovely coming of age story that can only be the product of an imagination nutured in a Dominican American family. Personally I would love to see it on television or as a movie that way more people will have access to the very special rich, amusing, and endearing characters that he's drawn for the reader. I agree however that many little references will be lost on the reader outside of that experience and culture but he very cleverly takes the "outsider" in and opens a world to them. I wouldnt be surprised if we see a thread on "fuku" in the near future!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Just finished the book over 4 plane rides in the past week... I was looking for the thread Junot said he posted on DR1 about a FUKU. Did he really? cause I did a search and did not find it...

A page turner indeed...

Remember it's fiction. And no, there isn't the thread. We had searched too and one of our reporters asked him in person about it. He wrote about it as if there was because there could have been, just as he tells it. Talking to him in person, he explained he is aware that DR1 is part of popular culture and has a very important role to play.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I totally missed the part where he said he posted it on DR1. Amazing! Congrats on the mention, that is impressive.

I am reading the book now, it is a funny read.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's on page 6 of my edition, hardback.
A couple weeks ago, while I was finishing this book, I posted the thread fuk? on the DR1 forum, just out of curiosity. These days I'm nerdy like that. The talkback blew the **** up. You should see how many responses I've gotten. They just keep coming in. And not just from Domos. The Puertorocks want to talk about fufus, and the Haitians have some **** just like it. There are a zillion of these fuk? stories.
From The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, by Junot D?az. Riverhead Books, 2007.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Can't Find Thread

Hi Dolores,

I know Junot posted something because I remember reading and following the thread for a few days.

Good fiction story, I'm happy for him. Loved the spin...and for making ghetto...fabulous. I'm just glad he was able to finally finish it.

Best,
Deelt

Remember it's fiction. And no, there isn't the thread. We had searched too and one of our reporters asked him in person about it. He wrote about it as if there was because there could have been, just as he tells it. Talking to him in person, he explained he is aware that DR1 is part of popular culture and has a very important role to play.

Se?or_Jimenez

Mar 2, 2006
I dont see the deal with this Paisan. I read "Drown." It was the biggest crap I've ever read. Pseudo babble nonsense about the absentee father and the immigrant experience growing up on hard time. He should just go over to the George Washington Bridge and jump!

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Just finished The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao I can say it was a great read and I truly enjoyed the bits and pieces of Dominican history lightheartedly told through out the book. I hope he doesn't wait another 10 years to write a book!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
According to an e-mail received today, it's finally out in Spanish and is being launched in Santo Domingo this week:

Santo Domingo._ Editorial Alfaguara publicar? en exclusiva para Rep?blica Dominicana la primera novela de JUNOT D?AZ ganadora del premio Pulitzer 2008: LA BREVE Y MARAVILLOSA VIDA DE ?SCAR WAO, la cual estar? a la venta desde el viernes 29 de agosto. Con este motivo, vendr? a Santo Domingo su autor para encabezar el acto de lanzamiento que se realizar? el jueves 28, a las 8 de la noche, en el Gran Sal?n del hotel Meli?.
Esta edici?n de 352 p?ginas de la laureada novela ha pasado por una cuidadosa labor de aclimataci?n de la traducci?n de la cubano-americana Achy Obejas, para incorporar el tono y el sabor dominicano desde la palabra escrita y los referentes culturales. La revisi?n se realiz? en conjunto con el autor.

I can't go but if anyone does (Lu?), please tell us all about it.:glasses:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
So, did anyone go?

I have a copy of the Spanish translation and at a first glance it seems to have been pulled off successfully. Unlike the original, it includes an extensive glossary of all the geek culture terms and other obscure references.